Heart says Meg IV RS, head says Octavia vRS

Mr2pod

Ok so a little bit of background info...

8 years ago I sold me beloved 1988 AW11 S/C MR2, which was my weekend toy. I haven't had a respectable sports car since. 

Fast forward and I'm now beginning to look for something that will be my daily drive, as well as some weekend fun. 

Priority for me was - needs 4 doors and rear seats due to kids, and mid-size so no Clio, auto as wife can't drive a manual, quick enough to be fun, and have looks that I like. Coming from the MR2, handling is obviously more important than a drag race. 

Hence, my heart was taken when the Meg IV came out with all these features in EDC sport guise (family doesn't need the cup suspension), and as I understand it has possibly the best chassis on the class.... However I  test drove one a couple of weeks back and one concern is the rear leg room. I'm short,  but even still there's not a lot of room back there. The exact car I drove had other reasons not to buy it so given me time to think.. 

So looking at other alternatives I found the Octavia vRS has a lift back and tonnes of space. The interior looks good and it's P-plate legal which my eldest is soon to be .... Drawbacks are the external styling is VERY bland... My brother has a Golf GTI, which didn't impress me when I drove it. It's obviously slower than the Meg IV...and no doubt doesn't handle as well....

So has anyone driven them both and can provide feedback - yes I'll drive both for my own comparison, but I'm always interested in other's opinions. 

WRX ruled out due to the CVT gearbox, i30N and Civic-R no auto, Focus ST... Maybe but don't see the difference to the Meg IV that would sway me that way as I don't like the styling. 

41 minutes ago, Garry said:

I30N Auto is coming next month

Don't love the style, and prices will be interesting. UK price only few thousand less than the new Meg Trophy 

Just now, Pokinacha said:

Does it have to be an auto?

The Giulia Super is a gorgeous car. the Veloce is the sweet spot though. Looks 90% like a QV but without the 6 figure cost

Yes. My wife can't drive a manual, and even though she wouldn't drive it often, sometimes it's just necessary for her to do so

Used and demo car prices right now are nuts. I'd love a 280 for a family car, but there's no way I'm paying 90% of the new price for a 3 year old car out of warranty.

One consideration might be the type of auto gearbox? People who've never driven a manual might have bad habits like creeping or letting the torque hill-hold - both obviously horrific for dual clutch gearboxes, very expensive repair bill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hamstrung said:

Used and demo car prices right now are nuts. I'd love a 280 for a family car, but there's no way I'm paying 90% of the new price for a 3 year old car out of warranty.

One consideration might be the type of auto gearbox? People who've never driven a manual might have bad habits like creeping or letting the torque hill-hold - both obviously horrific for dual clutch gearboxes, very expensive repair bill.

I know. Been watching the RS280 market for 6 months... Listed prices aren't always the sale price though. And most that don't drop under $40k aren't selling

I’ve had both. We currently have an RS280 Sport EDC, immediately prior to that we had a Skoda Octavia VRS wagon will all the bells and whistles.

Driving enjoyment: no contest. The Megane is head and shoulders above the Octavia. The Octavia, while quick enough, especially with the tunes available for VAG products, is very poor in comparison to the Megane. The Megane has much better ride control and damping. I can’t believe Renault engineered it to ride so well on 19s and 35 profile tyres! The Skoda crashes through bumps the Megane floats over, and leans very heavily on its outside front through corners. 

Build quality is similar, though the Skoda has more electric features like auto tail gate, electrically adjusted seats with memory and the leather interior is pretty nice too. Of course, it has a lot more room than the Megane,  but we don’t miss it.

The Megane puts its power down so much better than the Skoda too (once you’ve changed those horrendous S001 tyres), and when the TC kicks in, it’s not as harsh as the Skoda, which cuts a lot of power. The dual clutch transmission in the Renault is better, with pretty close to zero lag from a standing start, whereas the Skoda lags noticeably - not nice when you’re trying to get through a roundabout with cars coming from the right!

Steering in the Megane is very, VERY direct! The rear wheel steering makes it so bloody agile, you have to back off on your steering input until you’re used to it. They are a great car in the hills. The Skoda is good, but it’s a ‘warm’ hatch/wagon. It also has an annoying just off centre dead spot in the steering, which I only noticed on interstate trips.

Styling: no contest. The Renault is one of the best looking cars on the road. What a great arse it has!  The Skoda - well, I really like the 19 inch wheels, but apart from that, it was a bit mainstream.

Overall, the Skoda is bigger, slightly better interior, but lags a long way behind in driver enjoyment. The RS280 is a great hot hatch!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, speedfiend41 said:

I’ve had both. We currently have an RS280 Sport EDC, immediately prior to that we had a Skoda Octavia VRS wagon will all the bells and whistles.

Driving enjoyment: no contest. The Megane is head and shoulders above the Octavia. The Octavia, while quick enough, especially with the tunes available for VAG products, is very poor in comparison to the Megane. The Megane has much better ride control and damping. I can’t believe Renault engineered it to ride so well on 19s and 35 profile tyres! The Skoda crashes through bumps the Megane floats over, and leans very heavily on its outside front through corners. 

Build quality is similar, though the Skoda has more electric features like auto tail gate, electrically adjusted seats with memory and the leather interior is pretty nice too. Of course, it has a lot more room than the Megane,  but we don’t miss it.

The Megane puts its power down so much better than the Skoda too (once you’ve changed those horrendous S001 tyres), and when the TC kicks in, it’s not as harsh as the Skoda, which cuts a lot of power. The dual clutch transmission in the Renault is better, with pretty close to zero lag from a standing start, whereas the Skoda lags noticeably - not nice when you’re trying to get through a roundabout with cars coming from the right!

Steering in the Megane is very, VERY direct! The rear wheel steering makes it so bloody agile, you have to back off on your steering input until you’re used to it. They are a great car in the hills. The Skoda is good, but it’s a ‘warm’ hatch/wagon. It also has an annoying just off centre dead spot in the steering, which I only noticed on interstate trips.

Styling: no contest. The Renault is one of the best looking cars on the road. What a great arse it has!  The Skoda - well, I really like the 19 inch wheels, but apart from that, it was a bit mainstream.

Overall, the Skoda is bigger, slightly better interior, but lags a long way behind in driver enjoyment. The RS280 is a great hot hatch!

Thank you. This is the kind of info I'm after... I'll stick to my heart, and yes the Megane IS one of the best looking cars of recent times! I'll just chop the kids legs if needed... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, hamstrung said:

I'm with you, and data shows that's not the case either... 70-75% sounds much more reasonable. People can argue that the RS is special, but the same can be argued that it's no longer supported here in Aus... and reality is the market it's in is flooded with other makes/models they have to compete with

https://datiuminsights.com.au/weekly-market-update-3rd-may-2021/

On 03/05/2021 at 3:56 PM, Pokinacha said:

The Giulia Super is a gorgeous car. the Veloce is the sweet spot though. Looks 90% like a QV but without the 6 figure cost

I have to agree with @Pokinacha here.  You owe it to yourself to at least consider the Giulia Veloce.  Some very nice detail changes to the newer ones bringing in line with the Germans and you will seriously love both how it drives and how it looks.  And with the ZF 8 Speed auto that sits behind lots of different types of machinery from Beemers to RAMs, that bit won't give you grief.  I am not sold on pretty much any dual clutch transmissions now after having had a few of them.  The ZF loses little of the performance of the DCT, but has none of the foibles or longevity concerns.  Bullet proof!

Oh, and RWD, which adds a touch of yeehah to weekend runs too.

I mean, look at this thing...

2021-alfa-romeo-giulia-veloce-sedan-red-1001x565-(1).jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, No152 said:

I have to agree with @Pokinacha here.  You owe it to yourself to at least consider the Giulia Veloce.  Some very nice detail changes to the newer ones bringing in line with the Germans and you will seriously love both how it drives and how it looks.  And with the ZF 8 Speed auto that sits behind lots of different types of machinery from Beemers to RAMs, that bit won't give you grief.  I am not sold on pretty much any dual clutch transmissions now after having had a few of them.  The ZF loses little of the performance of the DCT, but has none of the foibles or longevity concerns.  Bullet proof!

Oh, and RWD, which adds a touch of yeehah to weekend runs too.

I mean, look at this thing...

2021-alfa-romeo-giulia-veloce-sedan-red-1001x565-(1).jpg

I agree in terms of ZF8 auto being the best 'jack of all trades' gearbox now - it's still a smooth torque coverter auto for putting around in traffic, is almost as fast as DCTs and will be much more reliable; i think DCTs are slowly going the way of single-clutch automated manuals - obsolete tech bar a few high strung expensive supercars until they're all replaced by a electric cars;

Sometimes i have a look at Giulia Veloces on carsales, but they're still a lot of money for something that might be in a shop more often then we'd like to admit;

36 minutes ago, Alstar said:

I agree in terms of ZF8 auto being the best 'jack of all trades' gearbox now - it's still a smooth torque coverter auto for putting around in traffic, is almost as fast as DCTs and will be much more reliable; i think DCTs are slowly going the way of single-clutch automated manuals - obsolete tech bar a few high strung expensive supercars until they're all replaced by a electric cars;

Sometimes i have a look at Giulia Veloces on carsales, but they're still a lot of money for something that might be in a shop more often then we'd like to admit;

That's the epitome of the "head over heart" talking there I suspect. 

There are horror stories of folks buying Toyot@s, but they still have a bankable reputation for reliability.  Perception? Maybe...

At the other end of the spectrum are the likes of Alfas, Range Rovers and so on.  No doubt in the past they really earned this infamy, but I suspect not so much in modern cars.  Perception again?  Maybe...

I'd take a punt on a Giulia Veloce as a weekend fun car I reckon just because they are so drop dead gorgeous and have great driver dynamics for that purpose.  Probably be a pretty decent daily as well for the shorter commutes.

It's unlikely I would select it as the interstate barnstormer, but then lots of other vehicles will probably do that job better anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alstar said:

but they're still a lot of money for something that might be in a shop more often then we'd like to admit;

The GME T4 2ltr is solid. Forged crank, forged i-beam rods, lightweight alu pistons in a cast alu head and block. The ZF8 is solid too. The build quality of the new Alfas are a far cry from soviet metal from the 70s-80s. 

Reality is, the Giulia is a modern, reliable and attractive car that can be used for commuting and the weekend fang alike. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pokinacha said:

The GME T4 2ltr is solid. Forged crank, forged i-beam rods, lightweight alu pistons in a cast alu head and block. The ZF8 is solid too. The build quality of the new Alfas are a far cry from soviet metal from the 70s-80s. 

Reality is, the Giulia is a modern, reliable and attractive car that can be used for commuting and the weekend fang alike. 

And most importantly, remember, they look absolutely sensational!  So good, in fact, you don't even need to park them between the lines...

Alfattitude® on Instagram: “Our favourite Giulia at the moment, this  beautiful Veloce TI in Ro… | Alfa romeo cars, Alfa romeo giulia, Alfa romeo  giulia quadrifoglio

Dont go with the head. I bought a 320D BMW and also  a Megane 4 GT and sold them both within 1 month.

To be fair they were both good cars in their own right and I was trying to be practical, but the lack of excitment and drama that comes from a lesser car made me sad lol. Id still own them again and they are nice but when i went from GT to RS it was so much more thrilling. Depends what you need

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No152 said:

And most importantly, remember, they look absolutely sensational!  So good, in fact, you don't even need to park them between the lines...

Alfattitude® on Instagram: “Our favourite Giulia at the moment, this  beautiful Veloce TI in Ro… | Alfa romeo cars, Alfa romeo giulia, Alfa romeo  giulia quadrifoglio

Those would be the worst rims I've ever seen on a car....if they sized down the iconic front as well to fit the rego plate under it would be an upgrade too. Looks like a kid has just stapled on the plate wherever it could fit. And don't get started on cambelts

48 minutes ago, Xrsism said:

And don't get started on cambelts

You do know that belts is a taboo topic on this forum, right...? 😜

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 2:42 PM, Pokinacha said:

T4 has a timing chain, not belt.

Sold!! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I decided on a 2020 Skoda Octavia RS 245 for a few reasons 

1. A dealer network that will continue on in Oz 

2. The practicality of the size etc with a family 

3. The availability of a demo on the market and the willingness of dealer's to to a deal.

I got a demo with 485km on the clock, fully optioned (sunroof and luxury pack) at price reduction >$11k of RRP delivered to my door. 

It will do most of what I need it for, just with a little less excitement on the drive. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr2pod said:

3. The availability of a demo on the market and the willingness of dealer's to to a deal.

I got a demo with 485km on the clock, fully optioned (sunroof and luxury pack) at price reduction >$11k of RRP delivered to my door. 

It will do most of what I need it for, just with a little less excitement on the drive. 

Congrats!

Do you know anything about the options on that? I couldn't make head nor tail of it all. 

3 hours ago, Mr2pod said:

Very good points, all of which are lacking in the Renault Sport product right now, especially on points 1 & 3.

17 hours ago, Mr2pod said:

They're a lot of car for the money and with a few dollars spent on a remap, they're close to a lighter, FWD, Golf R wagon.

Got the lift back... Don't like wagons, and the boot space is still ample with good access. 

Options in the luxury pack are mainly electrical - leather, electric seats with heating front and rear, lane-keep assistance, blind-spot monitor.

Yes DSG. 7 speed wet clutch type from the Golf. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 6:39 PM, Mr2pod said:

Congrats

Renault make it very hard to buy off them at the moment, its no different here in NZ.

Enquired about the 2021 Captur last year, was given a bit of information but no conformation on delivery. Then I was given the price and specs and it just doesn't add up compared to other brands.. and they only offer a 3 year warranty here in NZ. The Auckland dealership has traded hands after failing twice in the time I have a Renault. 

Ended up with a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross VRX fully optioned, AWD and upto a 10 year warranty for less money than a Captur. Ironically Mitsubishi are selling far more Renaults than Renault now with the introduction of the Mitsubishi badge engineered Renault Van.

Enjoy your car, a mate has one with a few key mods and he loves it.

Edited by RallySportNZ
  • Like 1

I find it interesting that you went with your heart on the sensible car. They're both exactly the same size, so the extra load area available in the wagon would have been a more sensible choice. 😋

Also a tasty wagon is nice. 

Hope you enjoy. :)

• Like 1