RS265 or RS275 cup premium

davidc92

Hi,

I’m about to take the plunge and purchase either an RS265 8:08 or a RS275 cup premium. Is there any discernible performance difference between the two? Not really concerned by the extra power, because this can be eclipsed easily with a tune. More so talking about any dynamics/handling difference between the two (apparently cup premium has lighter weight suspension components). I imagine it would be hard to tell any difference on a test drive. 

Cheers,

Dave

Welcome mate, and great choices!

The only suspension difference between all the RS Megane 3 Cup models is the Trophy R, with it's Ohlins set up. The 265 8:08 and 275 Cup Premium should have no difference in suspension.

Good luck with the hunt!

• Like 1

I opted for the 275 Trophy (275 Cup Premium with decals) for the Akra exhaust, suede Recaro CS seats and the Speedline Turini Rims (lighter weight). 

Suspension wise I believe Renault fitted the 275 Cup Premium with an aluminium lower control arm and had to adjusted the suspension because of this. Don't quote me there. 

Ultimately, 265 its going to be a better value option and 275 Cup Premium will be better if you want the ultimate drivers car out of the two.

However the differences in the overall drive of the cars are so minor you'd only notice them driving back to back. 

Everyone's opinion may differ but both are exceptionally great driving cars. 

Edited by ak275
  • Like 1

The difference between them is mostly aesthetic in look and feel.
Obviously you have the pre vs post facelift front end, leather vs alcantara interior.

Biggest notable difference would be the akra exhaust in the 275 vs standard stainless steel version and the Turini wheels which are lighter than the standard Steevs 

Its a great choice either way and wont go wrong with either! 

• Like 1

If I’m not mistaken the 8:08 has something that you can’t retrofit to the 275 and that’s the bi-xenon headlights.  The 8:08 also has all the other fruit including leather Recaros but misses out on the Akra exhaust and Turinis.  It would be my pick especially if it’s LY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rene said:

If I’m not mistaken the 8:08 has something that you can’t retrofit to the 275 and that’s the bi-xenon headlights.  The 8:08 also has all the other fruit including leather Recaros but misses out on the Akra exhaust and Turinis.  It would be my pick especially if it’s LY.

Yep and the bixenon lights are so good this is not a point to dismiss easily. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with pearl white, whilst I appreciate Liquid Yellow I personally couldn't own it.

Akra is a nice bonus but if you get lucky you can maybe find one and add later.

As for Alcantara, honestly it's no harder to maintain than leather or cloth, it goes bad cause people never clean it, same for the steering wheels. It's super easy to clean with warm water and a small amount of detergent and a microfiber cloth.

• Like 1

If you appreciate these cars and their dynamic virtues, you'll be a happy customer whatever you choose. I'd say no discernible difference in dynamics (wheel weight being the only point of difference) We plumped for 275 Trophy and boy are we a happy household  here - as already mentioned by other posters, differences are so minimal as to be the domain of trainspotters.

The bi-xenons would be appealing, but a bulb change to LED on CP is an easy improvement. I think the Akra exhaust, Turinis and Alcantara are all delicious, obligatoire!

Good buying with 265s, I'd prolly lean CP - or wait for a Trophy?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimC said:

If you appreciate these cars and their dynamic virtues, you'll be a happy customer whatever you choose. I'd say no discernible difference in dynamics (wheel weight being the only point of difference) We plumped for 275 Trophy and boy are we a happy household  here - as already mentioned by other posters, differences are so minimal as to be the domain of trainspotters.

The bi-xenons would be appealing, but a bulb change to LED on CP is an easy improvement. I think the Akra exhaust, Turinis and Alcantara are all delicious, obligatoire!

Good buying with 265s, I'd prolly lean CP - or wait for a Trophy?

I see your point but the cornering function is also amazing

Cheers guys. From what I can tell, cup premiums are going for mid to high 20s and 8:08s for low 20s if < 100k kms. Bit of extra value in the 8:08 route for mods but obviously don’t get the extra cup premium goodies. 

Damn COVID tax!! If only I’d pulled the trigger early 2020.

@davidc92 - I'm keen to hear which one you end up going with. I faced the same dilemma not that long ago. Ended up with the 8:08 as I wanted the full leather recaros (not a fan of cleaning alcantara) and bi-xenon lights. Akra is not a big deal as I've read some people actually prefer the standard exhaust with the centre resonator removed. I don't think you'll be missing anything by going a car without the Akra exhaust. Oh and if you did want a liquid yellow car with bi-xenons then the 8:08 is your only option. Good luck with your choice! 😃

Edited by OzJustin

4 hours ago, Imnotyellow said:

Without hijacking the topic, do these lights ever need adjusting?

It could just be me but I feel like mine are pointing too low.

Mine are all over the joint. They need sideways adjustment and not just up and down. 

DIlemma guys... I'm pretty deep into negotiating an 8:08 when I just saw this a Trophy+ pop up on Carsales for the same price (although I have negotiated timing belt replacement included for the 8:08). The Trophy+ has 55,000kms on the dial (which is 30k less than the 8:08) and also has the leather recaros. Pretty sure Trophy+ has sunroof and satnav. I am so torn... What would you do?! 8:08 is probably more special but both effectively the same car. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-trophy-manual/OAG-AD-20006733/?Cr=0&gts=OAG-AD-20006733&gtsSaleId=OAG-AD-20006733&gtsViewType=topspot&rankingType=topspot

5 hours ago, davidc92 said:

DIlemma guys... I'm pretty deep into negotiating an 8:08 when I just saw this a Trophy+ pop up on Carsales for the same price (although I have negotiated timing belt replacement included for the 8:08). The Trophy+ has 55,000kms on the dial (which is 30k less than the 8:08) and also has the leather recaros. Pretty sure Trophy+ has sunroof and satnav. I am so torn... What would you do?! 8:08 is probably more special but both effectively the same car. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-trophy-manual/OAG-AD-20006733/?Cr=0&gts=OAG-AD-20006733&gtsSaleId=OAG-AD-20006733&gtsViewType=topspot&rankingType=topspot

Same car apart from the wheels and paint. Pearl white is really nice but not sure if it’s worth 30000 extra km....

To be frank that version of satnav is pretty useless, and no RS Monitor functionality, which means no pedal map adjustments and other RS Monitor toys.

At least the later RLink setup can be updated for Android Auto so can use Waze or Google maps and AA audio streaming. So if the satnav is one of the buying points this version will give you the shits I suspect.

I'd go the 8:08.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davidc92 said:

Yeah my money's on it being a trophy+. It depends on whether or not the dealer knows they're sitting on a trophy+. If you can bargain them down saying it's just a cup, you might be onto a winner. 30000km is a lot of km. Service history might sway you - a car that's meticulously maintained with 30K more km is better than a sloppily maintained one with less. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/renault-megane-2012/SSE-AD-7313824

This is surely an 808 just not listed as one. He's also curbed all the wheels so hard I'm surprised there is any red left and unfortunately vinyl wrapped the roof.

2 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/renault-megane-2012/SSE-AD-7313824

This is surely an 808 just not listed as one. He's also curbed all the wheels so hard I'm surprised there is any red left and unfortunately vinyl wrapped the roof.

That's not an 8:08. Just has the wheels! Looks like a base 265 Trophy:

- no xenons
- no leather interior (has the 265 part-leather Recaros)
- no stickers (guess they could've been removed)
- looks to be Glacier White (8:08s were Pearl White)
- no plaque at the base of the dash under the Start button

• Like 2

I’m going to be settling on a white 8:08 today guys, pretty exciting. Had it checked out by a mechanic (as it’s interstate), said it’s in very good condition and full service history. Just needed some rocket cover gasket sealant due to minor oil seepage (apparently very common on these cars). 

It has 86k kms. Would you have any concerns with that mileage on these things? I’d be doing under 10,000kms a year but looking to hold for a while (seeing everyone on Ozrs loves them to bits 😛

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davidc92 said:

I’m going to be settling on a white 8:08 today guys, pretty exciting. Had it checked out by a mechanic (as it’s interstate), said it’s in very good condition and full service history. Just needed some rocket cover gasket sealant due to minor oil seepage (apparently very common on these cars). 

It has 86k kms. Would you have any concerns with that mileage on these things? I’d be doing under 10,000kms a year but looking to hold for a while (seeing everyone on Ozrs loves them to bits 😛

Service history? 

(Anyone mentioned belts yet?)

8 hours ago, davidc92 said:

Report back when it gets to 186,000 km, it will do it no problem

27 minutes ago, PeterK72 said:

100. 275  trophy's how many yellow  how many white ? It seems  hard to find out.

Pretty sure it's 50:50

23 hours ago, davidc92 said:

There's no rocker cover gasket. They leak from the cam cover bolts. Plenty of posts on here that cover how to fix it.

I think you also get the plus of keyless lock/unlock which you don't get on the Cup Premium. Just touch the handle and enter and just walk away when finished.

Congrats on your buy😊👍

3 hours ago, Safetyman said:

There's no rocker cover gasket. They leak from the cam cover bolts. Plenty of posts on here that cover how to fix it.

I think you also get the plus of keyless lock/unlock which you don't get on the Cup Premium. Just touch the handle and enter and just walk away when finished.

Congrats on your buy😊👍

Cheers mate. Apologies, they are using sealant not replacing gasket, seeing there isn’t one. 

19 hours ago, chuckovski said:

Service history? 

(Anyone mentioned belts yet?)

Full service history except timing belt had not been done yet. I got the dealer to throw in timing belt change as part of the deal. Just waiting on the receipts and will be good to settle 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally getting around to posting about the 8:08 I bought. Absolutely in love with it so far. Pretty sure it’s bone stock but still quicker than I expected in a straight line. Haven’t been able to take it on a proper quick drive yet through the twisties, so am yet to see its full abilities yet. However, can tell it has razor sharp turn-in and mobile rear end (even dances a tad sometimes under heavy braking going straight). Loving the seats, bi-xenons and playing around with throttle mapping. Only minor bug bear so far is an annoying clicking at bottom of throttle position. Feels like you’re at full throttle but then you can then push through slightly further (feels like a little notch). Does anyone know what this is? Bit annoying. 

Anyway, here’s a pic. Pearl white. 😍

F4F1A896-5160-4277-926B-52752E0C84DE.jpeg

Edited by davidc92
  • Like 3

That clicking feeling is normal and I didn’t know what it was for either.

Nice car - exactly like my last 8.08. Res delete, off the shelf Bluefin tune, Michelin PS4S and they’re perfect 👍

• Like 1

Very nice. For me 8:08 was the perfect spec. You'll do well to get rid of the RE003's - mine had them when I picked it up  - replaced with Asy5's.

Check your floor mats to make sure they're not catching or out of position causing the pedal issue.

Pearl white was my second choice for an 8:08 after LY.... 😉

Cheers

Justin

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jberth1 said:

Very nice. For me 8:08 was the perfect spec. You'll do well to get rid of the RE003's - mine had them when I picked it up  - replaced with Asy5's.

Check your floor mats to make sure they're not catching or out of position causing the pedal issue.

Pearl white was my second choice for an 8:08 after LY.... 😉

Cheers

Justin

Haha second choice, I see what you did there Justin… LY looks so good. 

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2021 at 9:53 PM, davidc92 said:

Only minor bug bear so far is an annoying clicking at bottom of throttle position. Feels like you’re at full throttle but then you can then push through slightly further (feels like a little notch). Does anyone know what this is? Bit annoying. 

That would be the moar powerrrr switch!

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2021 at 9:53 PM, davidc92 said:

Feels like you’re at full throttle but then you can then push through slightly further (feels like a little notch).

Just guessing...but would that be to do with 'Cruise Control Over-ride ?'

• Like 1