What a car!

RichRS

Hi guys/ gals,

Just wanted to introduce myself being new to this crazy French brand and my delight at just how good this car is! For clarity I’m the proud new owner of a 2014 RS265 CUP and am unbelievably surprised at just how solid and stable this car is.

I know this has been asked a thousand times and have been reading plenty of posts about what to do and when etc but I will ask anyway..I will/ am in the process of gathering parts for some performance upgrades for this little beast and am keen to understand from you guys that have been tinkering with their cars whether there are some mods that you have done that you, in hind sight, would have done differently or without.

I’m toying with the idea of grabbing as many of the “standard” performance mods as I can and have them fitted and tuned at the same time vs progressively installing and when I say standard mods I’m thinking of FMIC, CAI, Catless dumpipe and exhaust to suit, retic valve and tune.

Lastly and thank you if you’ve read to this point, knowing that racespec tuning is on a sabbatical at the moment who is the next best tuner to play with my car in Sydney or is it worth just letting European guru’s give me a remote tune? 

2EC7E273-1C48-4934-9C13-DCDCA1308A0F.jpeg

• Like 10

Welcome and congrats on the wheels. 

There should be a standard OZRS 'stage 1' package but I think the first few mods that most do are:

if you don't have an Akra, resonator/mid box chop. If you do have an Akra, don't cut it.

Intake - gives choo choo noises 

Tyres - you've got the 18's so plenty of good cheap options. My favs(despite not currently driving an RS) are PS4/s

Brakes - DBA disks and DS2500 pads or similar street compound

RSTuner map or similar. Superchip Bluefin and others are suitable as well, however there is contention as to A/F ratios and tuning with a dyno is best practice. 

Future stuff:

The OEM IC is pretty good however more boost = more heat...

downpipe and 100cel cat can be expensive too but full kit inc IC, DP, intake and tune and 200WkW can be achieved.

have fun! 

Edited by Pokinacha

Let me be the boring voice of reason. Assuming you've not had it long, just enjoy it for a bit, grow into it and wait and see what you want to do. Gives you the chance to decide for yourself what's effective from what's fashionable.

If its got average tyres on it now that'd be step one. Res delete is also valid if not done already for more noise without drone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt205 said:

Let me be the boring voice of reason. Assuming you've not had it long, just enjoy it for a bit, grow into it and wait and see what you want to do. Gives you the chance to decide for yourself what's effective from what's fashionable.

If its got average tyres on it now that'd be step one. Res delete is also valid if not done already for more noise without drone.

+1

these cars are not like the majority of "hot hatches" that are warm from the factory and need mods to get them going. Renault has actually done most of the work. Thank of it as already at ph1 out of the factory

• Like 2

Welcome and great looking car, sure you'll love driving her as much as everyone else here.
I'd also say stick to the basic mods for now, tyres being number1 on the list if not already done. exhaust and intake are cheap and bang for buck.

Join the NSW Renault group on FB, we do regular drive days and meet ups. hope to see you there!

As others have said: good tyres (and you have lots of choice with 18” wheels), refresh the brakes (pads if needed, maybe rotors) with a full fluid flush and bleed

4 hours ago, dongerz1 said:

Welcome and great looking car, sure you'll love driving her as much as everyone else here.
I'd also say stick to the basic mods for now, tyres being number1 on the list if not already done. exhaust and intake are cheap and bang for buck.

Join the NSW Renault group on FB, we do regular drive days and meet ups. hope to see you there!

Thanks dongerz,

Already joined the Renault community on FB ;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Be nice if some of those FB meetups were also posted up on here for those of us non FB types......

What’s FB ? 🤷‍♂️

Is that the annoying thing run by that clown out of USA that’s hard to read and doesn’t flow ? 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome mate!

As Matt said, get to know the car and how to drive it but I can understand the allure of some subtle mods. Maybe got and get the centre resonator removed and see how you like that for a while.

When you're ready for a tune, go speak to eTuners at Prospect and tell them Alex from RAM Motorsport sent you! I'm going to be taking my car there soon and they tune our race car (non-Renault but still, they're good!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichRS said:

Just had the resonator removed and am more than happy with the results. 

Thanks for the advise!

glad you like it! cheap and bang for buck mod

next remove the foam from inside the airbox, I changed mine to a K&N panel filter as well

On 28/01/2021 at 12:34 PM, Matt205 said:

Be nice if some of those FB meetups were also posted up on here for those of us non FB types......

check in Social section for details ;) 

Has anyone here used superchip before on their car? Whats the feedback? Also i recently purchased my first Renault 2012 RS250 Trophy and want to do some mods on it. What is the best down pipes and intercooler to use?

But firstly what is the stage 1 tuning by superchips like? Will it ruin my car in anyway?

2 hours ago, Davaza said:

Has anyone here used superchip before on their car? Whats the feedback? Also i recently purchased my first Renault 2012 RS250 Trophy and want to do some mods on it. What is the best down pipes and intercooler to use?

But firstly what is the stage 1 tuning by superchips like? Will it ruin my car in anyway?

Yes.

Three separate cars. Two Meganes and a Clio Mk3.

Amazingly enough, all three cars survived the experience unscathed. 😬

Sarcasm off:

A fantastic bang for buck mod. Plenty of extra power and torque. Enough that a Stage 1 tune was all I ever needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently installed a Bluefin on my RS250 Cup Trophee and the car has been transformed. It's night and day different to the stock stuff. Want to get it dyno checked for my own peace of mind, but haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary to make me worried.

In terms of installation, it took longer to get access to the OBDII port than it did actually going through the tuning process.

• Like 3

I'll chime in and say there are a few threads covering the topic of Superchips and I have had zero issues. 

However, if you're planning to add a downpipe, then you'll have to go the custom tune route as the bluefin stage 1 only works well with an unmodified car. A res delete doesn't count as a mod, by the way.

It just sounds even better with the bluefin 👍

My sons old 250 was running fine with a downpipe and factory intercooler. It had been custom tuned and we never had heat soak our intake temp issues while at Wakefield in peak summer. 

It's power output was well above a bluefin stage 1 so I'd love to see the evidence for why an intercooler is a must and under what conditions. 

You get no argument from me for upgrading a Clio 4 Intercooler because it's intake temps sky-rocket under hard use, but I haven't seen the same on a meg 3. 

I have avoided getting a FMIC for several reasons.

First, why I think I need one: When the ambient air temps are over 35C I can feel a noticeable loss of performance, so on the 10-15 days of the year when its really hot an intercooler would help. Over 40C it is so bad passengers notice it.

BUT: an FMIC restricts airflow into the radiator, and can lead to increased oil and water temps

So, on those hot days, do I really want to push the car any harder? Do I want to create a situation that compromises the engine's cooling system for the sake of better performance when it's really hot? Making a hot car even hotter?

The conclusion I keep coming back to is that I should listen to what the car is telling me, and NOT try and push the car (designed for European temps) and risk damage on those few really hot days a year, of maybe just back off and deal with a few days of lower performance when it wouldn't be wise to push the car anyway.

The car is fine 50 weeks of the year

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Davaza said:

What does it do in terms of fuel consumption? With the superchip stage 1 upgrade?

•  
  •  

Fuel consumption might be slightly better, but driving in a more spirited manner as a result of the tune will negate it

19 hours ago, anthonyremax said:

Yes get Henk's tune. Its laugh like an idiot better. so much torque and silly quick

It is good if you are not planning on adding bits that require adjusting AFRs. Otherwise Paul's tune is recommended for ability to tweak the tune better.

• 1 year later...
On 04/02/2021 at 7:23 AM, dongerz1 said:

glad you like it! cheap and bang for buck mod

next remove the foam from inside the airbox, I changed mine to a K&N panel filter as well

check in Social section for details ;) 

How have you found the K&N panel filter? I might do mine if its worth it. What model is it, Supercheap auto doesn't seem to have one for the car using the is it compatible feature

On 28/01/2021 at 8:44 AM, Deet said:

Get it tuned, that is 90% of the gain

Agree. 

Tho, I had a few mods to mine prior to Paul (RS Tuning) dyno tuning it. 

Completely different beast now.