Searching for Meg 3 with one eye

RSky

Howdy folks,

Thought I'd say hello while researching 250's and 265's. I'm in SE Vic and will be needing a new set of wheels once I get out of this Coronavirus hole. I've been torturing myself for the past few months looking at ads, mainly of manual coupes. My shortlist has been the Audi TT, BMW 1 series Coupe (125i) and the RS Megane of course. Also been swiping past the glut of 86's and BRZ's but I am fancying something Euro as I've been and done the Jap thing for a long time, though they still kind of appeal.

To be honest I thought the Meg was probably a bit too boisterous for my liking as I am starting to mature, and I've often treated anything French with suspicion but have only heard good things about the mk III. They seem to be pretty cheap compared to my other choices, especially for their age, which means I could get something with less kays for something the same price in the German wing.

Expect plenty of waffle and annoying newbie questions from now on. 

First question how much difference in ride quality does the 18" wheel have over the 19" Steevs? I like the look of the Steevs and would probably prefer a Trophee over a Cup, but did Trophee's ever come with Tibors from factory?

Another interest is the seats. Are Recaros really super awesome compared to the standard ones? Again both look good (though leather Recaros look better) but is there much difference in comfort? Also in regard to leather, I take it it's some bulldust fake leatherette? Bonded leather nonsense? Rather than real leather? If so, are they at least hardwearing apart from the usual rub at the side squab?

• Like 2

By the way, if anyone's interested in some light reading while in Lockdown, I did come across Bauer media have a lot of their mags available to read online, including 25years of Wheels magazine scanned and indexed, and has beauties like this...

1551119473_WheelsFeb2011Meg01.thumb.jpg.33d099e8474762e2371133fc4e5b2059.jpg

Here's the link which should get you started, or if this is too small to read on here.

https://bauer-archive.x-cago.net/WHL/article/WHL-20110201-01104001/RENAULT-Megane-RS-250.html?

• Like 6

Welcome, and yes great choice! You're completely spot on about how good these cars are.

I ended up swapping 19" steeves for 18" tibors for comfort, but that was when I was driving in Sydney once a week on the worst roads in Sydney. I never had any inclination to do so in other circumstances. It made the change from clenching my butt over those bumps and thinking "my car is going to break" to still flinching but being less stressed.

Yes, worth getting the sportster CS seats. I have them in my Focus and realise I should have had them in my Megane.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, my other car is a bit of a classic barge, so I am looking for something more focused, but still would prefer something relatively comfortable, something both the Audi and BM do have character-wise.

I do prefer the Tibors to be honest, they remind me of an Alfa wheel a bit to look at. The older AX-I wheels with the five spokes, less so, but maybe they'd look better in anything but black.

Welcome! RE 18s or 19s - I think the 18s are typically more desirable but I'd add that the choice of tyre does affect ride quality as well. My RS265 rides so much better since swapping to Goodyear F1s. 

@RSky welcome to the awesomeness that is RenaultSport. The easiest way to answer your questions and I'm sure a nice fellow owner might offer once all is settled down there is go for a drive in a 3. They can be very addictive. We just upgraded without even looking at other brands.

We have had our 250 Cup Trophee for 8 years now and it is an amazing bit of kit. For the money you can get into a 2nd hand variant nothing comes close for fun factor and community love. We regularly drove the 8 hours up to Parkes in ours and it was never a task or arrive being sore from the Recaro leather seats. And yes mate they are the real deal. Top quality leather. Look online and see how much 2nd hand leather Recaro CS seats still fetch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, there's been some fine looking cars for sale up until recently and priced to sell, but since end of tax year and the epidemic escalation less so. Had my eye on a mint 250 Lunar Grey Cup Trophee further down the Peninsula but may have missed the boat on that one.

Anybody's thoughts on the glass roofs, apart from visual appeal are they any easier/harder to live with? I presume they may add a fraction of headroom too. I'm a bit of a lanky enfoire, but then if I can fit in an MX-5 or MR2 I should fit in anything really.

The 18-19 thing is a pet peev of mine, frankly if you're that soft buy a Camry....😉

There is a small trade off in ride quality but a much bigger benefit in steering feel and accuracy on proper tyres. Don't get me started about morons who fit 17's or crap tyres, saving money on tyres is NOT a thing on a performance car.

I actually went from 18's to 19's and would never go back.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RSky said:

Thanks, there's been some fine looking cars for sale up until recently and priced to sell, but since end of tax year and the epidemic escalation less so. Had my eye on a mint 250 Lunar Grey Cup Trophee further down the Peninsula but may have missed the boat on that one.

Anybody's thoughts on the glass roofs, apart from visual appeal are they any easier/harder to live with? I presume they may add a fraction of headroom too. I'm a bit of a lanky enfoire, but then if I can fit in an MX-5 or MR2 I should fit in anything really.

I have the moonroof. I love it. And yes does provide more headroom and just makes the cabin feel more open. However it is literally a glass roof in the sense that you can't open the glass itself. 

I've got the leather standard seats with heating. I really like those and find they hold me in enough even when really pushing it. I was throwing up between them and Recaros when buying but now find the seats that I got perfect for daily driving and comfort while still being very good for the spirited drive(I don't tent to hold back either). If I was at the track a lot the Recaros would be a must but you could always swap a seat in for track days. 

Edit

However if you want Recaros, get one with them fitted. You could always buy them after but they've gone from about 2.5k second hand to 4k recently (lol, they were a 5k option new.) So seat prices are going up but car price going down which I think is hilarious and you probably wouldn't recoup the cost of the new seats when you sold. You'll be able to sell the seats for as much as the car soon. 

Edited by Docmattic
  • Thanks 1

I've got the moonroof as well. Its not something I was chasing when I purchased but I wouldn't trade it now. It's quite a bit nicer with the shade open.

I've also got standard cloth seats which are great and very supportive, you don't slip nearly as much as in the leather ones. I was hunting a set of Recaros for a while but the idea of squeezing into them every day after trying them was too much for me.

The 19" Steevs look rubbish but that's a personal preference, Diamond cut and black wheels look like they've come straight from Bob Jane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mmmm sourdough.

All good points taken, thanks.

I guess I know what I like options-wise, just tricky finding the car with most of them. Do Tibors come in different sizes? I've heard they're on Clios too, but are they the same size? Steevs seem to be a bit of a Vegemite wheel, I don't mind the look to be honest, but 18's are more appealing at the moment, as is Leather. I see Homer mentioned the Recaros are real leather, is that the case with the standard seats too, or are they some faux stuff?

With regard to some of the confusing model designations, what extra do you get in a Cup+ or even a Trophy+? I've heard the Sport is a bit of a penny-pincher, and lost the LSD, so that counts that one out for me.

48 minutes ago, RSky said:

Mmmm sourdough.

All good points taken, thanks.

I guess I know what I like options-wise, just tricky finding the car with most of them. Do Tibors come in different sizes? I've heard they're on Clios too, but are they the same size? Steevs seem to be a bit of a Vegemite wheel, I don't mind the look to be honest, but 18's are more appealing at the moment, as is Leather. I see Homer mentioned the Recaros are real leather, is that the case with the standard seats too, or are they some faux stuff?

With regard to some of the confusing model designations, what extra do you get in a Cup+ or even a Trophy+? I've heard the Sport is a bit of a penny-pincher, and lost the LSD, so that counts that one out for me.

The Tibors on the clio are silver and 17" so you should be able to tell the difference.

I've had both 19 steevs and 18 AXL (track set) on mine and the 18s are comfier in comparison. I personally like the machined steevs look so have kept those on. 

The variants are mighty confusing and theres still discussions about it all the time. Generally speaking:
Cup = 18 wheels, leather seats, halogen lights
Trophy = 19 wheels, Recaros, bi-xenon headlights (these are a good consideration as well) 
There are variations inbetween due to factory options, plus models etc but that'll give you a general idea. Dont get the "Sport" model because no LSD

My suggestion would be to look for a Trophy model to get the nice upgraded bits and buy/swap for a set of 18s, they come up from time to time for sale.

Good luck in your search! 

• Thanks 1

I've since seen the Cup+ gets heated, powered leather seats, and black out details on some fittings? While the Tropy+ gets the same, plus a seven inch display/Sat nav, reversing camera and front bumper sensors as well as the glass roof? Anything else, apart from the normal Trophee/Trophy goodies?

I'm a little surprised both the Cup and Trohpee seem to be rated the same weight, but maybe that's a typo from the mags I'm reading. Surely all those goodies must weigh a bit, 'cept maybe for the Recaros.

In regard to the stereo I've heard the standard one is pants, was the uprated set any better? And was that still an option for the Cups? Or do owners in general suggest something aftermarket, though I'd like to keep things factory when I can.

I've since seen the Cup+ gets heated, powered leather seats, and black out details on some fittings? While the Tropy+ gets the same, plus a seven inch display/Sat nav, reversing camera and front bumper sensors as well as the glass roof? Anything else, apart from the normal Trophee/Trophy goodies?

I'm a little surprised both the Cup and Trohpee seem to be rated the same weight, but maybe that's a typo from the mags I'm reading. Surely all those goodies must weigh a bit, 'cept maybe for the Recaros.
In regard to the stereo I've heard the standard one is pants, was the uprated set any better? And was that still an option for the Cups? Or do owners in general suggest something aftermarket, though I'd like to keep things factory when I can.
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but active bixenon headlights were, I think, standard on trophy and trophy+ models. They are awesome. If I had to choose, I'd take them over the sportster CS seats.

On 23/07/2020 at 8:30 PM, Matt205 said:

The 18-19 thing is a pet peev of mine, frankly if you're that soft buy a Camry....😉

There is a small trade off in ride quality but a much bigger benefit in steering feel and accuracy on proper tyres. Don't get me started about morons who fit 17's or crap tyres, saving money on tyres is NOT a thing on a performance car.

I actually went from 18's to 19's and would never go back.

What he said 👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The plot thickens. Had my first test drive today of a good nick, lowish kays 265. Supposedly a 2013 Trophy, but didn't have Recaros, didn't have glass roof and didn't have Xenons. Does that sound right, or did the options thin by that time?

Was running on Tibors, and I was pleasantly reassured with the ride. Nice and comfortable and the clutch travel/biting point that's sometimes brought up didn't seem that weird. Be interesting to feel how different it rides on 19's for a daily.

Stereo wasn't as crap as some make out either, but yes, could always be improved.

Driving was great, gave it some beans in Sport mode, and the power delivery is there almost regardless of revs or gear. Me likey! Steering felt tault and terrific but not too bitey either. Wheel feels quality and gear change is smooth too, praise the lowered! The angle of the dials seemed a bit off and rear vision is pants, as expected.

In regard to the 265, are you getting the full power in sport mode, or is that still running as a 250 until you press some more buttons. I thought the exhaust note was very tame, at least from the inside, so suspect I wasn't getting the max power presentation?

So got others to view, but this is looking promising.

Edited by RSky

There is a definitive list on the forum here somewhere of what was and was not included in the very confusing list of model attributes that is the Megane 3 specifications. So very French in that way - I’m not skilled at the search and link but someone not doubt will be able to post that.

I’m pretty sure all Trophy variants of the Meg 3 265 had the Recaros, 19 inch wheels and the xenon lights. If it’s missing these it was likely a specced up Cup and not a Trophy.

Wheels could have been changed to 18s (I agree with @Matt205 by the way, go 19s as the steering performance benefits outweigh the small comfort penalty and always use top quality tyres) and as for the Recaros you will kick yourself if you have the chance to get them and don’t. They are simply brilliant. There’s a good reason they are increasing in value...

Exhaust note is muted with factory hardware unless the Akrapovic is fitted (not available on any 265s) but a centre res delete adds extra noise and crackles without costing much or giving too much drone.

Other than that, happy hunting and good luck with your search as the Meg 3 is the performance bargain of a generation in Australia for what you get fir the money compared with pretty much anything else out there.

• Like 1

I switched from 19s to 18s even before I fitted coilovers and felt it was a big improvement in ride quality and handling - especially turn in.  Obviously there will be differing opinions but it is a popular change for a reason. Also there are still outstanding quality tyres available in 18 inch. 

4 hours ago, speedfiend41 said:

19s with PS4S all day long. 👍

I'd agree with this.  Having tried both PSC2 and PS4S tyres (in 19s), I rate the PS4S tyres very highly as a performance road tyre.  They have at least 95% of the grip when warm compared to the PCS2s (and probably 200% of the grip when cold), and last waaaay longer than the PSC2 tyres.  I know there are other brands and models of tyre that are really good, but the Michelins are hard to beat.

I switched from 19s to 18s even before I fitted coilovers and felt it was a big improvement in ride quality and handling - especially turn in.  Obviously there will be differing opinions but it is a popular change for a reason. Also there are still outstanding quality tyres available in 18 inch. 

Thanks, I have a feeling it was a Cup or at least a Cup+ as it had Sat Nav. Though I was too engrossed in the drive to see if the seats were electric or 'charcoal' coloured, are the charcoals of a particular style? It was a one owner car, so I'm a little surprised they weren't 100% sure what model it was either. Perhaps he deleted some of the standard options, if that's even a thing these days.

I thought the difference between Sport mode and not was like night and day, but maybe I didn't push it enough when Sport was turned off. Does this mean I'll feel somewhat shortchanged if I get a 250 now? Or can the 250 feel a bit more preppy with the right settings which I presume you can adjust via the RS monitor? Either way either car is probably more than I'll ever need. As mentioned before I take it I was getting the full 265 horses when sport mode was on? There's no other button combinations you need to press?

I'm really keen on leather seats, and all the better if they are Recaros, even if Clarkson describes them as 'giving you an idea of what it would be like to be buried alive' but maybe he needs to lose some pounds.

Still having trouble finding the specs thread, but may have read it briefly before. Another thing I was wondering was these so called 'Panda' seats with the lighter grey inserts that came later in the range, did they ever come in leather too? Or were they just cloth?

I've heard plenty on the 18/19 argument and don't want to stir it up any further, I think I'm more inclined to go for the smaller rim/fatter tyre profile for compliance, even if the 19's visually sit better. Hopefully I'll find out in person the difference when driving something with Steevs.

5 hours ago, RSky said:

Thanks, I have a feeling it was a Cup or at least a Cup+ as it had Sat Nav. Though I was too engrossed in the drive to see if the seats were electric or 'charcoal' coloured, are the charcoals of a particular style? It was a one owner car, so I'm a little surprised they weren't 100% sure what model it was either. Perhaps he deleted some of the standard options, if that's even a thing these days.

I thought the difference between Sport mode and not was like night and day, but maybe I didn't push it enough when Sport was turned off. Does this mean I'll feel somewhat shortchanged if I get a 250 now? Or can the 250 feel a bit more preppy with the right settings which I presume you can adjust via the RS monitor? Either way either car is probably more than I'll ever need. As mentioned before I take it I was getting the full 265 horses when sport mode was on? There's no other button combinations you need to press?

I'm really keen on leather seats, and all the better if they are Recaros, even if Clarkson describes them as 'giving you an idea of what it would be like to be buried alive' but maybe he needs to lose some pounds.

Still having trouble finding the specs thread, but may have read it briefly before. Another thing I was wondering was these so called 'Panda' seats with the lighter grey inserts that came later in the range, did they ever come in leather too? Or were they just cloth?

I've heard plenty on the 18/19 argument and don't want to stir it up any further, I think I'm more inclined to go for the smaller rim/fatter tyre profile for compliance, even if the 19's visually sit better. Hopefully I'll find out in person the difference when driving something with Steevs.

Can you post a link to the ad for the car you drove?

• 5 months later...

Okay, I'm in!

After my old Ford showing signs of not liking being driven every day or just showing it's age in general I couldn't wait any longer getting a daily. It's probably the worst time to buy with Covid prices still strong, but at least I got the car and spec I wanted.

265 Trophy, Tibors, Leather speedsters and a few extras, all wrapped up in an Oyster Grey shell. Which still gets me thinking is Oyster Grey any different from Lunar Grey apart from the name? Reading on the net it appears they have different paint codes, but I'll have to investigate further.

It turns out I'd been looking close to 13 months to find the right car. Belts done, just serviced, now time to just enjoy it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RSky said:

Okay, I'm in!

After my old Ford showing signs of not liking being driven every day or just showing it's age in general I couldn't wait any longer getting a daily. It's probably the worst time to buy with Covid prices still strong, but at least I got the car and spec I wanted.

265 Trophy, Tibors, Leather speedsters and a few extras, all wrapped up in an Oyster Grey shell. Which still gets me thinking is Oyster Grey any different from Lunar Grey apart from the name? Reading on the net it appears they have different paint codes, but I'll have to investigate further.

It turns out I'd been looking close to 13 months to find the right car. Belts done, just serviced, now time to just enjoy it!

Congrats on the purchase! Post up some pics. :D 

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 2:10 PM, RSky said:

Okay, I'm in!

Very close to my spec as well - I was also looking for quite a while to get a 265 Trophy, Steevs, Leather Sportster CS's, Bi-Xenon's wrapped in LY, but it's worthwhile holding out for the spec you want.

Congrats !

Justin

Thanks, still getting used to everything at the moment, I can see why a few criticized some of the accessory controls and button layouts, but I am also way behind on some of the tech of most modern cars these days.

One thing that's thrown me, am I right thinking there's no remote fuel door release handle anywhere? You just pluck it open with your finger and no cap on the inside?

Also the previous owner has left his and other mobile phones paired to the bluetooth system which I now want to remove. Trouble is when I choose his phone like it says in the manual it says it can't find it, which in turn means I don't have the option to delete it. Is there anyway around this?

Was hoping to post pics but my first attempts haven't done the car justice, though light was fading when I took the shots.

3 hours ago, RSky said:

Thanks, still getting used to everything at the moment, I can see why a few criticized some of the accessory controls and button layouts, but I am also way behind on some of the tech of most modern cars these days.

One thing that's thrown me, am I right thinking there's no remote fuel door release handle anywhere? You just pluck it open with your finger and no cap on the inside?

Also the previous owner has left his and other mobile phones paired to the bluetooth system which I now want to remove. Trouble is when I choose his phone like it says in the manual it says it can't find it, which in turn means I don't have the option to delete it. Is there anyway around this?

Was hoping to post pics but my first attempts haven't done the car justice, though light was fading when I took the shots.

You're right about the fuel Cap. It's actually really handy. 

19 hours ago, chuckovski said:

You're right about the fuel Cap. It's actually really handy. 

I agree - when you lock the car with the key card the fuel cap is locked as well. Works a treat for me!

On 28/04/2021 at 7:09 PM, RSky said:

Not sure what system you have in your particular car.  However, if it is the same as mine with R-Link...even though it can't connect to the phone via 'Manage Devices' select the '+' sign and this will allow you to select it and Delete.

On 28/04/2021 at 7:09 PM, RSky said:

Sunset is the BEST time to take pics !

Fuel cap is very smart - no stupid caps to lose, no stupid remote releases to worry about - if you have the key on you it's unlocked basically. I really hate cars with caps you have to unlock and store somewhere (like our other French brand).

Cheers

Justin

Funny enough I was trying something with low light but didn't quite work out with the camera. The phone on the other hand...

https://www.mediafire.com/view/u4k499miibal3yw/Ms_Megan.jpg/file

And thanks, Gaza, I'll take a look, though with the '+' do you mean hitting the + button on the media stalk or is there a + in the UI on the RS Monitor?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jberth1 said:

I really hate cars with caps you have to unlock and store somewhere (like our other French brand).

You know there's a small hook on the fuel flap to hold the cap while you refuel your Pug/Cit?

1 hour ago, Matt205 said:

You know there's a small hook on the fuel flap to hold the cap while you refuel your Pug/Cit?

Yes of course - I'm forced to use it. After I carefully insert the key into the lid and avoid them banging the body work and damaging it.....urgh. No Thanks.

No need for any of that rubbish with the Megane - much smarter !

Cheers

Justin

Anyone had a similar issue where the rear wiper decides to wipe intermittently all the time after you've just manually selected it with the notch on the stalk? And I don't mean selecting it to wipe at the different manual settings, just the paddle you push forward for a single wipe?

I'm also noticing my stereo seems to want to do some weird search when first switching on, with the RS monitor saying PROGRAM. Originally I stored a radio channel using the stalk and attempted to store it on the number 1 button as per manual. This is fine when I first turn the car on, however should I click on the 1 button while driving it seems to go to the previous stored channel (which I overwrote manually) the only way it seems I can get my stored channel is via the stalk again.

On 15/11/2020 at 7:58 AM, RSky said:

These may help

Also I've got 18" BBS forged STi wheels on RS4 Hankooks for track and 19" Steevs with Dragons for road use (came with car, but not too bad a tyre). To be honest the 18"s look too small for the car/arches - definitely 19's. Also the 19"s for me are not too firm (touch softer then my old 997.2 Carrera) - I find the opposite ie 18's are a little too soft on the road (have yet to use on track day).  Only reason to go for 18"s is for track day tyre selection and price.  In some ways I'm not looking forward to the 18's on the track, but can be remedied with firmer springs and coilovers, which would probably be needed with 19"s in any case.

Full brochure 265, 265 premium, 275 premiun.pdf Megan R.S. 265 D95 NBI Brochure_update_v10_Specs Nov 2014.pdf Megane_RS_Brochure_265 and 275-20150904.pdf REN9931_Megane_RS_265_Specifications Cup, Trophy, Trophy plus,Trophy 8.08.pdf Renault_MeganeRS250_X95I_Brochure_201102.pdf

• Like 1