Southern Highlands Saab guy wants a 182

Pastry

Hi all.

This seems like an excellent forum from what I've read so far, frequented by grown ups who know what they're doing. You never can be sure in the land of car enthusiasts :)

I live in the Southern Highlands not far from Sydney. I'm here because I'm considering a 172 or 182 as a fun run-around to replace my current Saab 9-5 Aero.

I know – here in Aus us Saab fans are probably an even rarer breed than Renault fans, and harder to understand! I've had a few Saab's , from a 900, a modified 9-3 coupe, a base spec $800 9-5 wagon when we had our first child, a 9-3 V6 wagon, to the car I own and love today –  a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon with 5-speed manual. An unusual car over here and one which I've put a lot of time, love and of course several $ into.

929287296_IMG_6107(1).thumb.jpg.52f132a350d0c41e993ba4170ea755db.jpg

It has a completely rebuilt motor with forged pistons, all new chains and balance shafts etc, full suspension refresh (other than a few bushes in the rear end) with Bilstein B8's & matched progressive springs from Maptun, subframe bushes all done, front wheel bearings done, all the filters, oil pressure switch, thermostat, crank sensor and the list goes on and on. Basically it's had a pretty full go over, so it's a solid, reliable, reasonably quick (~230-250hp, safely sub 7s 0-100) old bus. It has a stock exhaust system, but if I replace the turbo downpipe with a 3" piece and a fuel pressure regulator I could get this thing to +300hp/+440nm, which might be fun in pure grunt terms.

It also has great A/C, heated/ventilated seats, sunroof, carries 5 people and a dog, and there are practically none of these around, particularly with a manual box. It's not perfect, but it's a nice bit of kit.

So why sell? I'm not sure except to say we are planning to spend some time in Europe in about 2 years so I will probably have to sell at that point. A Saab guy in QLD has shown some interest, so a reasonable offer now might be wise to accept.

Believe it or not these cars are starting to increase in value, so holding on to it isn't necessarily a bad idea. But now I'm quite smitten with the idea of a cheap-ish chassis-focused hot hatch, and something equally a bit left field like the Clio makes sense.

I'm not really asking "should I, or shouldn't I" –  just introducing myself.

So...

Should I, or shouldn't I?

A few build photos

IMG_4693.thumb.jpg.1cc39f8b1dc42c8653c33a6884f85d25.jpg

IMG_4746.thumb.jpg.9ba76e9bf303b948b9cdfc23d4b5220b.jpg

IMG_4792.thumb.jpg.45b0d657985f582ac02ade7a790eea63.jpg

IMG_4710.thumb.jpg.e6715f8a027226a7a8196b143a4c8763.jpg

IMG_6732.thumb.jpg.a9a62a5b7be26f55d038785c60abaae5.jpg

IMG_6731.thumb.jpg.6285d74520bb12bac922769f81a6f216.jpg

IMG_7942.thumb.jpg.d65cd606b14db8f07d0713d3c002f20a.jpg

DSC07109.thumb.jpg.a03adfe1fcb073d3b7c7c54f94a0fe22.jpg

If there are any 172/182 owners in the region I'd be interested in meeting up!

Edited by Pastry
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the fold.

I don't have a Clio 2 to offer you but could I just sit in your 9-5 and be taken for a drive one day before you sell it? What a beautiful thing! Just drooling over the pics right now.

I've had a 9-3 Aero in the past which was a gem but have always wanted to experience a 9-5 Aero! Can already imagine just how much better it would be, and that's before all your hard work poured into it...

• Like 2

Yep @cloudy it's a very pleasant thing to waft around in; it's comfortable, reasonably compliant, it makes decent noises, even the stock stereo sounds pretty good. It's got a few bruises and the roof clear is sadly starting to go.. but yes, it's a very good machine which I am lucky to have.

You are welcome to a ride any time you are down this way. I don't get up to Sydney much (no commute for me, thank god), so maybe best bet is to bring yourself down to one of the Bowral Cars & Coffee meets, last Sunday of each month. I usually get a pass for that – we have 3 small children..

BTW which gen 9-3? The first gen, or the slightly less interesting but otherwise much superior 03+?

Edited by Pastry

Ah I have lusted after a few 900 Turbo's and have come very close to buying two. Both silver Aero's, funnily enough, and really, really good deals. Alas a good one now exceeds my budget. Much like the many Lancia I would like to own.. just need to go back 5 or 6 years to when they were all cheap!!

And on that note – I'd be looking for a cheap as chips Clio to be honest, just something to get about that is a bit of fun and – if I'm patient enough – also half decent! I don't go far enough to worry about it being perfect, and one of the ideas driving this thinking is to get some cash back out of the 9-5 to go towards our future plans.

I know from experience really good deals for cars with lots of maintenance in them can and do crop up.. i've sold at least one car like that myself! I'd expect a 172 is more likely to fall into that category, though I like the twin exit exhaust and the idea of the wider track of the 182. 

I also enjoy bringing otherwise good cars back from the dead. My 9-5 was potentially on the way to the crusher, and our family XC90 (2.5T) needed an engine swap and a a bit more besides. I love saving good cars. :wub:

Of course it might be more economical, sensible etc to simply keep the Saab! But who doesn't like a new toy.

Edited by Pastry

Worth considering. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-renault-clio-sport-200-cup-trophee-manual-my10/SSE-AD-6343411/?Cr=1 A tiny bit more than 172/182 money but a desirable 200 on the Cup suspension. Cosmetically challenged but should be good mechanically.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pastry said:

Ah I have lusted after a few 900 Turbo's and have come very close to buying two. Both silver Aero's, funnily enough, and really, really good deals. Alas a good one now exceeds my budget. Much like the many Lancia I would like to own.. just need to go back 5 or 6 years to when they were all cheap!!

And on that note – I'd be looking for a cheap as chips Clio to be honest, just something to get about that is a bit of fun and – if I'm patient enough – also half decent! I don't go far enough to worry about it being perfect, and one of the ideas driving this thinking is to get some cash back out of the 9-5 to go towards our future plans.

I know from experience really good deals for cars with lots of maintenance in them can and do crop up.. i've sold at least one car like that myself! I'd expect a 172 is more likely to fall into that category, though I like the twin exit exhaust and the idea of the wider track of the 182. 

I also enjoy bringing otherwise good cars back from the dead. My 9-5 was potentially on the way to the crusher, and our family XC90 (2.5T) needed an engine swap and a a bit more besides. I love saving good cars. :wub:

Of course it might be more economical, sensible etc to simply keep the Saab! But who doesn't like a new toy.

If you want a cheap-as-chips Clio then a 172 is the way to go. They start from around $2,500 and are sound cars mechanically, although electrics can be finicky.

There are some cherished examples out there that are well looked after.

I’ve got a 182 and I love it. Had it for over 2 years now and see no reason to sell it. Very fun at an speed. Yes I get that a 197/200 would be a more rounded car, but I wasn’t going for that. If I wanted a more rounded car I’d get something else (albeit a much greater cost).

So I don’t think you’ll go wrong with a 172 and values won’t go down much from where they are - a contemporary Honda Jazz would set you back more!!!

• Like 1

Keep the Saab — after all that work and TLC, you’ll quickly regret selling it.

Keep an eye out for a good 172, preferably from someone on here.

Oh, and the Clio 3 linked by@apple3337 is a bit of a dog...in very many senses [emoji3064]

• Like 2

I am biased to Clio ll’s and 182 Cups at that. You could get a 172 cheaper but in my opinion a 182 Cup is the way to go as you are asking. 

Its obvious you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, but cheap 182’s don’t come up that often and you may have to go over $4K to get one unless you wait and wait for a cheap one. 

Hey mate, welcome. Love the SAAB.

I may potentially be putting my 182 Cup up for sale in the coming weeks pending a hail damage insurance outcome for my wife’s car (long story).

111ef6a06928633c8b21f7dc776283e7.jpg

I’ll place an ad in here if I end up going ahead.

Best of luck with the search.

Ben

• Like 2

Welcome! And that 9-5 wagon is gorgeous, especially in the perfect spec of beige on blue with wood grain... i do love the idea of a fast wagon and currently own a cheapish 182... I'm also an architect so need to own a Saab at some point. Maybe we should talk :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pastry said:

Yep @cloudy it's a very pleasant thing to waft around in; it's comfortable, reasonably compliant, it makes decent noises, even the stock stereo sounds pretty good. It's got a few bruises and the roof clear is sadly starting to go.. but yes, it's a very good machine which I am lucky to have.

You are welcome to a ride any time you are down this way. I don't get up to Sydney much (no commute for me, thank god), so maybe best bet is to bring yourself down to one of the Bowral Cars & Coffee meets, last Sunday of each month. I usually get a pass for that – we have 3 small children..

BTW which gen 9-3? The first gen, or the slightly less interesting but otherwise much superior 03+?

I remember that sound system was bizarrely good in my car as well! I had a 2004 second gen, so certainly less interesting but was still a very good taster for the sublime (and mildly rattly) Saab driving experience. 

Might make my way down to Bowral this month, always looking for a cars and coffee type event to check out.

10 hours ago, walkie86 said:

Welcome! And that 9-5 wagon is gorgeous, especially in the perfect spec of beige on blue with wood grain... i do love the idea of a fast wagon and currently own a cheapish 182... I'm also an architect so need to own a Saab at some point. Maybe we should talk :)

Thanks @walkie86 – agree it is actually the perfect spec for one of these. I've had moments where I've been a wannabe architect so can somewhat empathise. I have no idea if we could reach a satisfactory deal – I really would have to put some money in the bank if I end up selling – but regardless it'd be good to meet one day. You might like to come along with @cloudy to the Bowral Cars and Coffee, too :)

9 hours ago, Viv said:

Where abouts in Southern Highlands were you? I work in Mittagong most weekends so you may have seen the ol' orange 225 around ;)

Yep I live in Mittagong - can't say I've noticed you but I am usually overwhelmed by small children at parks, or walking in the bush, or at the swimming pool etc etc. What work brings you down?

37 minutes ago, cloudy said:

Might make my way down to Bowral this month, always looking for a cars and coffee type event to check out.

Great - please do! I'm sure I'll be there, I've missed a few lately but always enjoy it. I tend to be there early-ish (8am or thereabouts) so I can get back to Dad duties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Saab 9-5 Aero has always been on my 'must haves' list. Having a manual wagon in that colour makes it the ultimate spec! 

Also @walkie86 - I'm fairly sure that any Saab purchase is an instant tax deduction for any architect as it is a tool of the trade. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Lovely Saab.... I had one super briefly but i got ripped off badly by a used car dealer (my one big fail, i missed a bunch of things...) and quickly flipped it. But I really loved it... What do you want for it?

Agree on suggestion to keep it. Got friends/relatives with space to park it up while you're in europe? It will patiently wait for your return ;) 

10 hours ago, Pastry said:

Yep I live in Mittagong - can't say I've noticed you but I am usually overwhelmed by small children at parks, or walking in the bush, or at the swimming pool etc etc. What work brings you down?

At the SuperCheap Auto in the complex with the RMS

I think I'd try listing at just under $10k, which includes all the spares + parts I've got too (lots). It has 144,000 on it so reasonably non-scary.. and of course only 5k km on the rebuilt motor.

I have a decent sized shed I could park it in, but that might all depend on how much crap from the house my Mrs wants to put in there... we're thinking of renting our place out and spending a year.. somewhere. France, probably, but the Brexit shite has made a mess of that being easy so it's all quite the unknown..

On 13/02/2020 at 8:47 PM, Viv said:

At the SuperCheap Auto in the complex with the RMS

Ah! Ok yeah. I've spent my share of time in there buying oils and degreasers! Don't know any of the guys other than in passing, usually chat to the lad with the worked E36.

Edited by Pastry

On 13/02/2020 at 9:27 AM, cloudy said:

Hey @cloudy, forgot that Cars & Coffee is this weekend, 23rd Feb.. It's my daughter's 3rd birthday that day, so don't think I can make it! Sorry about that. Next time, assuming I still have the car.. the guy from QLD is planning to come for a look this week so who knows.

Keeping my eyes on the 172/182 market.. not very many come up for sale, do they?

• Like 1

@Bremund is probably a guy I know from the Saab community then – Brendan I assume that's you?

Agree it's a tragedy that it was so mismanaged, Saab had precisely the right brand positioning and recognition for the transition to electric cars. Saab's were bought by the kind of people who advocate intelligent, responsible engineering anyway, the fact GM had no idea other than stripping the tech knowledge and frittering it away is very hard to understand.

Granted, Saab hadn't been a huge seller at any point, but GM did them no favours by undermining the cars in the media and public consciousness by forcing their outdated chassis / platforms on Saab. We've all heard the "it's just an expensive Vectra" jibes – which is rather far from the truth! 

Ah well. One less interesting manufacturer.. us fans have had 10 years to get used to it.

Edited by Pastry

3 hours ago, Pastry said:

@Bremund is probably a guy I know from the Saab community then – Brendan I assume that's you?

Agree it's a tragedy that it was so mismanaged, it had the almost precisely the right brand positioning and recognition for the transition to electric cars. I mean Saab's were bought by the kind of people who advocate intelligent, responsible engineering anyway, the fact GM had no idea other than stripping the tech knowledge and frittering it away is very hard to believe.

Granted, Saab hadn't been a huge seller at any point, but GM did them no favours by undermining the cars in the media and public consciousness by forcing their outdated chassis / platforms on Saab. We've all heard the "it's just an expensive Vectra" jibes – which is rather far from the truth! 

Ah well. One less interesting manufacturer.. us fans have had 10 years to get used to it.

GM is good at one thing, and one thing only, killing good brands..............

as a previous owner of Opel, I am glad they got brought by PSA.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the 9-5 is sold now (pending actual payment and pick up). I didn't get quite as much as I'd have liked but I wasn't bent over either. 

In the process I seem to have acquired this funny old Saab.

IMG_7525.thumb.jpg.e499d5df0efd80ca3eea0f4b7b46c1e9.jpg

IMG_7526.thumb.jpg.37057a11411df4bb6cce139206bc6398.jpg

It's a 1986 9000 Turbo, 5 speed manual, and it's a real hoot to drive.

The relatively wide track FWD nature and the hilarious delivery of heaps of boost all of a sudden at 3250rpm = lots of smiles. It has quite a loud exhaust (possible resonator delete), very solid and sturdy sounding doors, two roller blinds in the hatch glass, and no rego - though it was registered until relatively recently.

Strange result, might move the 9000 on in search of a 172 but for now I'll get the 9000 on the road and see what happens next.

• Like 4

Our uk family were car dealers and sold SAABS in the north of England from their introduction way way back till they sold the business in late 90s . 

fortunately they missed the GM bad times and sold real SAABS - the early ones were bullet proof 

my dad and older brother drove 99s and 900s here and have very fond  memories of them