Buying car from interstate?

Mr2pod

I'm considering finding a Meg 4 R.S. in the next few months. I live in SA, and therefore majority of vehicles for sale are interstate. 

So realistically, what's the costs?

Let's use a specific example... Buying a registered car from VIC...

1.  What are the costs involved when it comes to govt taxes on the purchase? 

Do I have to pay stamp duty etc. on the purchase in VIC, and again when I transferred to SA registration?

2. Will it need compliance check and associated costs in SA? 

Roughly on a $45k car what's this all likely to total?? Is it going to be worth it or try to source one locally??? 

I'm in no hurry, and a few months off yet making a final decision. I just want to know what the realistic figure is that I need to add to the purchase price of an interstate vehicle. 

I'm in QLD and bought my Clio from NSW.

Flew down and drove it home on its current NSW rego with the signed transfer papers in my possession.

Arrived home and paid for a RWC.  Needed a few things (leaking shocks) but that was OK.

Took the RWC to QLD transport office and registered it in my name.  Paid stamp duty in QLD.  Handed the NSW plates to QLD transport.  No idea if they just binned them or sent them back - probably just binned them.  Nothing for me to pay in NSW.

Seller could potentially have asked for a pro-rata refund from NSW registry but it didn't have long left on it and the "admin fee" to process a refund plus the need to somehow get the plates back (or at least a "plate surrender receipt") was probably not worth the effort.

VIC to SA could be completely different but that was my experience in NSW to QLD.  Quite easy to do.  The most significant thing was the RWC obligation fell on me as buyer instead of the usual situation where it is the sellers responsibility and cost.  If the car is modified or needs maintenance you might get a surprise.

Good luck with the search.

I bought my Megane III as a demo from a Renault dealer in the gold coast. Never saw the car, had it freighted down, and it was fine apart from two scratches on the right rear quarter panel which I suspect was from the transport people, but there was no condition report on either side of the transport. So it took a while but the dealer paid for respray. The car was otherwise perfect. 

It was a 265 trophy+ which was only a few months after being registered, and over $10K cheaper than anywhere in Australia. I was worried it was the wrong spec. But it was all good. 

I'm in Sydney - bought my 8:08 second hand from the seller in Melbourne. Flew down, picked it up and drove it up to Sydney, got a blue slip, handed the Vic plates in to the NSW registry, paid my NSW rego and got my NSW plates, and drove off again.

Sold my R26 to a guy in Queensland.

Sold my GTi6 to a guy in Canberra.

If you want a car other than a white Corolla I find you need to travel to buy it anyway. It all becomes pretty straight forward after a while. Just make sure you have clear title.

Cheers

Justin

Edited by jberth1
  • Like 1

Ok first things first - all the examples above unfortunately mean nix to you. You specifically need to know the rules for the state you are exiting and entering SA rego because all of those permutations will differ in some way, e.g. understanding NSW to VIC or VIC to QLD or QLD to SA will not help you at all for VIC to SA. For this, I recommend you consult the relevant state's website as well as your local SA road authority, and be prepared to try and work out what they are saying. Then, you will find it's productive to call one or both authorities to clarify any questions you have - I called Vicroads when transporting a car from NSW, and was pleasantly surprised how helpful they were in terms of advising how to go about it.

Some people will tell you that you can retain rego in the original state (forever), but most road authorities prohibit this, and therefore for insurance reasons I wouldn't personally do it.

With most combinations there seems to be a grace period, where you can get your local RWC and book a rego appointment before the interstate rego is deemed to no longer be valid (e.g. could be three months) - but again, you have to check for the specific state combo. The grey area is often whether you need to get an "unregistered permit" whilst you go through the process, and frankly for $50 or whatever it is, I just got one for peace of mind (even though it was probably unnecessary). There would be nothing worse than being in a bingle only to find out insurance won't pay because they find that grey area and deem your car unregistered! But, to be fair, there's nothing stopping you from getting your current car and driving all over Australia, so in theory it shouldn't matter (well, apart from sudden COVID border closures, I suppose!).

It's a pain, I know. I was looking for a couple of rare cars when I was in the market, so I had to look nationally as well - and each time I got to a stage where I was considering a car, I had to research the relevant rules to see how it would best work.

Oh, and generally speaking, stamp duty should only be required in the state where the transfer technically took place, i.e. either you are transferring rego in the state where the car currently resides and pay stamp duty there (then transfer the interstate rego to your local state) or you get the car home, get RWC and register it as a new rego in your home state (and where it was from the rego is then cancelled, refund to be negotiated to either you or the vendor as part of the sale price, presumably).

Edited by hamstrung
  • Like 3

Thank you. I'll give SA reg a call and go from there. I've been watching advertisements for a few months and nothing except a yellow demo had been for sale in SA, so I'm resigned to the fact it's most likely I'll be looking interstate. 

The registration needs to be changed to SA, although a lot of people don't do it. I won't be taking that risk. 

I live in SA, I’ve bought dozens of vehicles interstate.

Here’s how it works mate.

Usually I fly over and drive the car back. It makes for an interesting trip and I get to know the car. On a few occasions I’ve had a vehicle (most times motorbikes) transported.

You DONT need to pay any stamp duty to the state you are buying the vehicle from. Sometimes, if the owner is nice, they’ll let you drive back home on their plates. They are responsible for notifying their transport authority of the sale. 

Sometimes, for even more fun, you can drive back with no plates on a temporary permit. Speed cameras be damned - just flog it all the way home. Yeehaa! (kidding...)

You then get the vehicle inspected at either Lonsdale or Regency Park (you don’t need an appointment, just show up, and be prepared to be treated with ridiculous levels of condescension).
That inspection will last you THREE months before it expires. You don’t pay for it at the inspection station, you pay the fee when you transfer/register the car. It’s about $57. They don’t look for anything other than rebirthing of cars etc. Blatant defects (tint way too dark etc) won’t get through.

Technically, you are supposed to register the car here within two weeks of buying it. So have all your ducks in a row when you get back. You then front up at TransportSA with your inspection paperwork, wait the regulation hour or so to be seen, pay for stamp duty, registration and the inspection fee, grab your new plates, and you’re  done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 25/02/2021 at 11:41 AM, speedfiend41 said:

Sometimes, for even more fun, you can drive back with no plates on a temporary permit. Speed cameras be damned - just flog it all the way home. Yeehaa! (kidding...)

This is a pretty good way to do it.  I bought a new vehicle once in Victoria (just worked out that way as vehicle availability and a great deal meant I bought it from Warrnambool). As the plan was to have it in Queensland, I bought it unregistered in Victoria, but had a VicRoads permit to drive (cost about $17 from memory) which was a piece of paper that needed to be taped to the windscreen.  The stipulation was I had to get back to Queensland by an appropriately direct route. 

OK... 😆

They also never said the had to be readable on the windscreen by the way...

OK...

I flew down to Victoria, hired a cheap car one way to Warrnambool and picked up my new vehicle before scooting up the road to Mildura to see friends and stop for an overnight stay.  Next morning at first light I headed off at warp factor 9 having "run in" the new car between Warrnambool and Mildura.  A quick 1650km journey and later that same day I was home.  I always wondered what the traffic monitoring camera operators thought as they watched my unplated vehicle do 17 hours of driving in a day ripping through the camera points without a care in the world. 

Epic first drive of the new vehicle... 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mr2pod said:

I'm considering finding a Meg 4 R.S. in the next few months. I live in SA, and therefore majority of vehicles for sale are interstate. 

So realistically, what's the costs?

Let's use a specific example... Buying a registered car from VIC...

1.  What are the costs involved when it comes to govt taxes on the purchase? 

Do I have to pay stamp duty etc. on the purchase in VIC, and again when I transferred to SA registration?

2. Will it need compliance check and associated costs in SA? 

Roughly on a $45k car what's this all likely to total?? Is it going to be worth it or try to source one locally??? 

I'm in no hurry, and a few months off yet making a final decision. I just want to know what the realistic figure is that I need to add to the purchase price of an interstate vehicle. 

if your in SA and looking for a Meg 4, I have my trophy for sale.
Is up in the car sales section.
Open to offers.

38 minutes ago, smee323 said:

if your in SA and looking for a Meg 4, I have my trophy for sale.
Is up in the car sales section.
Open to offers.

Thanks. Your car looks amazing, however I'll be looking for an EDC version. Most likely sport, but may consider a cup. Still sorting a few things on a new business, so plans delayed a little. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hoping the guys in WA can help.

Looking at buying a car in VIC for my nephew in WA.  Looking at freight costs will probably move by sea but looking for guidance on rego, insurance etc.

Seller is happy to sell registered vehicle with VIC plates which will make movements easier to boat in VIC and to workshop then Licensing Centre in Perth. (I will need to check with VicRoads if he can claim back unused portion of rego or if this option is only available to the Seller)

Is this the best way to go?

With insurance does anyone know from experience if my nephew have any issues getting insurance when on VIC plates to cover it between purchase and registration in WA?

Any thing else we should do or consider to make this as easy as possible?

4 hours ago, Rene said:

Hoping the guys in WA can help.

Looking at buying a car in VIC for my nephew in WA.  Looking at freight costs will probably move by sea but looking for guidance on rego, insurance etc.

Seller is happy to sell registered vehicle with VIC plates which will make movements easier to boat in VIC and to workshop then Licensing Centre in Perth. (I will need to check with VicRoads if he can claim back unused portion of rego or if this option is only available to the Seller)

Is this the best way to go?

With insurance does anyone know from experience if my nephew have any issues getting insurance when on VIC plates to cover it between purchase and registration in WA?

Any thing else we should do or consider to make this as easy as possible?

Just get a cover note for insurance and after the two weeks don’t pay it unless you need to make a claim.
My understanding is that you can’t get any remaining rego, firstly you’ll need to register in his name and pay stamp duty, but as they aren’t from Vic they can’t register it.

Let seller refund plates, then for movement just get a unregistered vehicle permit, roughly $55 1 week, $66 two weeks, 3, $77 and max of 4 weeks for $88. 

I think WA is the odd state with these laws, so check, but other states say that permit is to be obtained from state that journey starts. So in your case pay $55 to move it around Vic for a week without reg and then one permit in WA 

Easiest option is to buy unreg, get unreg permit online for a week, fly to Melb and drive home within a week while on a cover note. 

Edited by 63x1092
  • Thanks 1

I haven't checked WA but, having purchased 3 cars from Melb in the past few years, there is no issue for the seller to leave the plates on and for you to hand in the plates when you register the car in WA, which -- in other states -- must be within 30 days of its arrival in the state (very often honoured in the breach). You can also claim the unused rego back from VicRoads.

In the ACT, unregistered vehicle permits are a complete PiTA because while you can get them for 7 days, they're "point-to-point" permits, ie, if you have to go to one location for an inspection and there are problems, you'll need another permit to take the car to the rectification workshop...and possibly a third if re-inspection is required. So, it's much better to get the car still registered in Vic with plates on. Ask the seller to delay advising disposal to VicRoads until you are all ready to transfer the rego in WA.

In the ACT, there is also a mandatory vehicle ID inspection for interstate vehicles that are less than 10 years old. Again, check WA requirements. If this is needed, then you'll also want to be in possession of the original certificate of registration with completed copy of notice of disposal by the seller, as well a Bill of Sale detailing the vehicle VIN, engine number, seller's identity and address including licence number and all your details as purchaser.  This is all to prevent "re-birthing" apparently....🙄

Hope this helps

Thanks to all for your input.  It takes a bit to get your head around something other than same state buy/sell.

Unfortunately can’t drive across at the moment so best option was shipping on McPhee.  Would have loved the opportunity for a one way run as I believe the side trips to the coast etc are really rewarding.

Have now worked thru WA permits which are essentially only for purposes of registration with a 48 hour expiry and have a viable option. 
I will talk to VicRoads tomorrow to see if worth changing current plan to purchase and de-register after dropping at the shippers yard (removes need for permit and cover note).  
Freight cost is inclusive of insurance, so only need cover note and permit for WA leg.

I bought a VIC registered car and drove it to NSW. Went into the registry and handed in the VIC plates, and picked up some NSW plates after getting an inspection (Blue slip). Easy Peazy !

As long as you leave the vehicle registered you shouldn't have an issue. It's only unregistered vehicles that cause issues.

Cheers

Justin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm also in SA and looking at interstate transport. Never bought a car from interstate, let alone have it transported, so treading new ground here.
Realistically, unless the car I end up getting is in VIC I won't be able to spare the time (or airfares) to pick it up, so my question is how does it typically work with a transport company collecting a car from the seller, is there paperwork (rego or otherwise) needed to be completed since I wouldn't be there to do it myself?

Based on the other posts here (thanks to all btw) and some friends who recently bought and transported from interstate (but from a dealer), I think I've got down the steps needed once it's here, it just what needs to be done at the end I won't be around for that I am pondering.

Cheers all.

The transport company don't weigh into your arrangements with the seller. You make those as you normally would (albeit remotely).

Then you enter the contract with the transport mob, inform the seller of when it'll be picked up (or if they'll drop it off) and they flick the keys at the transport company who will inform you when it arrives at the depot (or your house I guess).

At least that's how I recall it when I used CEVA a year or so ago. All very painless.

• Like 1

I’ve done this twice in the past year when buying cars from NSW.  It is very painless.  Literally fill out an online quote with a shipping company and they can pick it up and drop it off door to door.  If memory serves correctly I think it was around $600 but that depends where you are located relative to the depots.  Main risk is getting the car inspected pre purchase

4 minutes ago, Choon said:

I’ve done this twice in the past year when buying cars from NSW.  It is very painless.  Literally fill out an online quote with a shipping company and they can pick it up and drop it off door to door.  If memory serves correctly I think it was around $600 but that depends where you are located relative to the depots.  Main risk is getting the car inspected pre purchase

What about trusting the private citizen to actually put it on the transport? That's my main worry. 

Just now, chuckovski said:

What about trusting the private citizen to actually put it on the transport? That's my main worry. 

I created a esigned form transferring ownership on receipt of funds.  You also need to gauge the individual when you chat with them

• Like 1

How'd all been covered above my specific experience  buying a car from interstate

On 04/06/2022 at 11:33 PM, 63x1092 said:

Just get a cover note for insurance and after the two weeks don’t pay it unless you need to make a claim.
My understanding is that you can’t get any remaining rego, firstly you’ll need to register in his name and pay stamp duty, but as they aren’t from Vic they can’t register it.

Let seller refund plates, then for movement just get a unregistered vehicle permit, roughly $55 1 week, $66 two weeks, 3, $77 and max of 4 weeks for $88. 

I think WA is the odd state with these laws, so check, but other states say that permit is to be obtained from state that journey starts. So in your case pay $55 to move it around Vic for a week without reg and then one permit in WA 

Easiest option is to buy unreg, get unreg permit online for a week, fly to Melb and drive home within a week while on a cover note. 

This is the process i followed on a GTI back in day, negotiated to buy the car unregistered I believe the guy just took the plates back and got a refund on his rego. but still requested RWC even though it was useless in VIC it was peace of mind that no major issues with the car especially as i was going to drive it 800Km home would hate to have brake issues or dodgy tires etc. Plus I knew there wont be any surprised when I took it for the RWC in VIC

I got a permit from VICROADS website which I just printed out and placed in the window which let me drive it without plates and arranged a cover note for insrance had to do it over the phone as no rego so couldn't do it online,  check before hand with your insurance company that they will cover it unregistered, Shannons are good with this stuff

Before i purchased it I got a very detailed car inspection done, I let the inspector know I was interstate and he took lots of pictures for me. Paid a deposit via EFT with the condition of a satisfactory inspection and final test drive when picking up the car. flew into Syd and they guy met me at the airport. drove him back to his place which was the test drive then handed over the bank chq signed the contract and transfer papers and away I went.

Spent the night in Sydney and drove back next morning

Had the car RWC done in VIC next day, normally $250 for the inspection + whatever needs doing

Then booked into VIC Roads 2 days later, they do a physical inspection and forms etc 

You have to pay stamp duty and transfer costs there should be a calc on the website + the cost of plates

so all up

Purchase Price

Inspection fee

Roadworthy Certificate

unregistered permit 

Stamp Duty + Transfer price

Licence plates

Travel costs

I'd only do it again if it was a hard to find car by the time you add in the extra costs you dont really save a lot of money unless it is a real bargain there was probably $1000 of additional expense then buying local

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/09/2023 at 6:46 PM, BigBoppa said:

Mother fukka im the manager there i remember you next time i see you im gonna tear u a new one

Waiting on a Sunday afternoon, For what I've read between the lines, Your lies
Feelin', like a hand in rusted shame, So do you laugh or does it cry

Reply?