Shes mine! Well, nearly...

slav888

Hello all!

After having some teething issues gaining access to this fine establishment (thanks for the help Dish 8) ) im finally here!

For the last few years ive had a glorious run with my Ford XR5 focus however the time came to let the old bird go and move onto faster pastures. Initially it was a bit of a three horse race, the RS, the new focus ST and the 86. A couple of months ago now, after FINALLY finding a toyota dealership who actually had one of the things in stock, i swung by and had myself a bit of a gander; It was a bit dissapointing to be honest, sure they look horn (and judging by press reviews, handles great.. cause u know, you cant actually drive the thing until you buy it..) but the interior was typical toyota, functional but bland and just too cramped for my liking.. 86's dropped out of the race. :roll:

Then i drove the RS250 at the local dealership and boy did it impress.. so well balanced, precise and certainly enough character to keep you interested.. Only gripes were visibility (which one does get used to) and the practicality of a two door.. Very minor.

Then came the long wait until the ST was released.. I figured, after reading all the great reviews that itd be poor form to purchase the RS without giving the ST a shot. The day arrived and i scouted out a local Ford dealership in search of the ST and popped in to have a drive. Now let me start with its a very good car. It certainly outclasses my model for fit and finish, the recaros are amazing, handles and rides better, engine likes to rev too and for the bargain price of $42k its one of the hot hatch bargains available... However, maybe i've been spoilt by the XR5 but the new ST was lacking something, in becoming more 'polished' it lost a lot of its soul.. The only thing i can liken to is a GTI golf.. sure theyre a good car, but does it really get your fire burning?

Decision made. Couple of weeks ago i popped back into the local and purchased an RS265 Trophy+ in black (with the stripe pack of course!) :headbang:

So now the wait begins, being a factory order its gonna take a bit of a while to get here, but it does allow me a bit of time to get my finances sorted.. Just wished the dealer would pull his thumb out and tell me a rough ETA like he's supposed to!!

Thanks for reading and i look forward to being educated by you all.

Well after a LOT of bargaining i managed to get the trophy+ for similar money to what the 808 costs.. But i get the glass roof and satnav (I figured, whilst the RS monitor is great, satnav will be a lot more day to day friendly).. Plus I also optioned the 808 leather recaros.. so it literally has every bell and whistle you could throw at it.

Pics will have to wait unfortunatly.. Im not going to get it until the new year.. :(

The dealer was meant to tell me when its roughly due 2 weeks ago, every time i call or email him he's always like yep, ill find out and call you back.. but never does! Kinda proves the whole 'once they sell it to you...' attitude. But if theres any dealers in here that wanna look it up for me thatd be greatly appreciated! :lol::roll:

Welcome aboard and Congratulations on your purchase.

The RS Monitor is a bit of fun, but as a daily driver, Sat Nav is an excellent tool to have.

Hope you get a delivery date shortly :)

Thanks mate.. yeah the 250 i drove had the RS monitor.. Normally these kinds of things are fairly gimmicky (usually marketing trying to force their propaganda upon us) but i was somewhat suprised at the impact it had.. However would only really use it when i took the thing out for a bit of fun so too impractical.

sorry but only the dealer you purchased from can give you that info.

Yeah i figured as much, wish they would pull their finger out.. Its been over 3 weeks since i put down the deposit and all ive got so far is "sometime in the new year"... and i thought Ford dealers were difficult, that French culture must funnel down :roll:

Hi and welcome and congratulations on the purchase! just make sure you get a car that is shipped to Melbourne and not road transported from interstate. Interstate cars on road transport can suffer from stone chips and other issues.

When picking up your car, make sure you inspect it in the daylight outside the showroom. Do not pay for you new car until you inspect it first. Bring a bank cheque but do not hand it over until you are satisfied. check that everything is working before handing over the mullahhh!! good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me it will be worth the wait. Seems like there are a lot of newbies like myself that have compared the 86/BRZ and Focus ST (and in my case a family friendly BMW 328i) before deciding on the RS265. Read all the reviews and blogs available but when it finally came down to driving them all I came to the same conclusion that the RS265 was the better buy despite compromising a little with the size compared to the ST and 328i (and I say little as I can still fit the 2 kids in booster seats in the back and some stuff in the boot). Would have liked to do what you did and opt for the red decals and recaro seats but when a dealer told me he could get a hold of a stock black trophy plus that was already on the boat and could be re-directed to Melbourne I wasn't going to wait until next year. Had it for almost 2 weeks now and it is so much fun to drive. Real bonus is that my wife can't drive a manual so I don't have to share it!

welcome to the forum mate! Glad you picked the rs265! It is a good car!

Out of curiosity, do you live near mont albert/Balwyn by any chance? I swear i have seen that Focus on your DP! Was in a Blue Clio 200 Gordini and gave the person in that Focus a run for his life a couple of times :D

Trust me it will be worth the wait. Seems like there are a lot of newbies like myself that have compared the 86/BRZ and Focus ST (and in my case a family friendly BMW 328i) before deciding on the RS265. Read all the reviews and blogs available but when it finally came down to driving them all I came to the same conclusion that the RS265 was the better buy despite compromising a little with the size compared to the ST and 328i (and I say little as I can still fit the 2 kids in booster seats in the back and some stuff in the boot). Would have liked to do what you did and opt for the red decals and recaro seats but when a dealer told me he could get a hold of a stock black trophy plus that was already on the boat and could be re-directed to Melbourne I wasn't going to wait until next year. Had it for almost 2 weeks now and it is so much fun to drive. Real bonus is that my wife can't drive a manual so I don't have to share it!

Luckily from myself im far from having offspring, when i drove the 250 the ONLY faults i could place were the visibility and practicality of a two door (originally had a 1998 Peugeot 306 GTI and after that swore id never go back to a 2 door haha). In between the obligitory thrashing itll be the daily commuter so i was concerned about the visibility in traffic, working in sth melb and living out in the burbs, but as the dealer said, its something ill quickly get used to.

The fact that this will be a slightly longer term vehicle for myself (as i hopefully plan to purchase a property, so no more splurging) i wanted to be to my exact specifications hence the patience required :roll:

welcome to the forum mate! Glad you picked the rs265! It is a good car!

Out of curiosity, do you live near mont albert/Balwyn by any chance? I swear i have seen that Focus on your DP! Was in a Blue Clio 200 Gordini and gave the person in that Focus a run for his life a couple of times :D

haha no actually, im further sth east, mulgrave way. Though im occasionally in the area, ive never come up against a clio.. i know of one other bloke with the same combo as me, might have been him!

Mate, the offspring aren't the problem - it's the wife (hope she doesn't read this!). I'll hold off on the 911 until the kids can drive themselves. They love the car but only get to go to School in it in the morning during peak hour. I am also out Mulgrave way and as you'd know the trip up Wellington Rd in the morning in peak hour means they don't get to see what the car can really do. Visibility was also one of my concerns on the daily commute but you do get used to it. The rear camera really helps when parking etc and really overcomes some of the visibility problems.

Mate, the offspring aren't the problem - it's the wife (hope she doesn't read this!). I'll hold off on the 911 until the kids can drive themselves. They love the car but only get to go to School in it in the morning during peak hour. I am also out Mulgrave way and as you'd know the trip up Wellington Rd in the morning in peak hour means they don't get to see what the car can really do. Visibility was also one of my concerns on the daily commute but you do get used to it. The rear camera really helps when parking etc and really overcomes some of the visibility problems.

Haha women.. always an issue.. and wellington rd is a huge pita!

Update - had to get the GM of the dealership involved as i still had no idea when it was due for delivery even though i had put the deposit down a month and a half ago.. but he was pretty good, called my close of business and now i finaaaaaaaaaally know, its due here in FEBRUARY!

2-3 more months..!

• 1 month later...

Dont worry about the children, im sure theyll appreciate being run over by such a quality machine..

Update: The car is on the 'Hoegh America' out somewhere near Africa at the moment, due to dock in Melb on the 24/1.. So if all goes smoothly i should have it first week of Feb!

Anyone interested in an immaculate XR5? haha

• 2 weeks later...

A very sad day today... I bid farewell to a very special lady in my life. She had nutured me, supported me and allowed me to grow as a person...

I know she's gone to a better place, but it certainly doesnt make it any easier...

Bye, bye car. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

hey man, welcome.

I purchased mine back in Sept last year at a Syd dealership and missed work for 4hrs in the arvo just to go thur the whole intro of the car today. I guarantee u wont be disappoint it. Mines white with heated leather factory seats with 18"s n RS monitor ( I m sucker for these gimmicks ).

I find the Recaro buckets are fantastic but not a long term thing for me.

Although I only put 80kms on it so far. Wack it on extreme mode and its a 2L Turbo on steroids. However, it does have a very firm ride on the road but this will only translate to solid handling on a race track. Small price to pay for such a fun car

Sweet!

Thought of you today when I saw a blue Focus RS!

You'd be chompin at the bit now in anticipation :D

Hahaha sure thats why uve been thinking about me dish.. sure :wink::oops:

Spoke to the dealer today and he was like "look it usually takes a week from the time we get it till the time its ready for pick up"

I was like geeeeeeeeet stuffed.. i waited 4 months for this SOB, ull get it done NOW! lol as if a detail and a tint job take a week to do.

Sweet!

Thought of you today when I saw a blue Focus RS!

You'd be chompin at the bit now in anticipation :D

Hahaha sure thats why uve been thinking about me dish.. sure :wink::oops:

Spoke to the dealer today and he was like "look it usually takes a week from the time we get it till the time its ready for pick up"

I was like geeeeeeeeet stuffed.. i waited 4 months for this SOB, ull get it done NOW! lol as if a detail and a tint job take a week to do.

Your car isn't the only one that they have to process and deliver :) also, the tint guy tinting your car may be booked out for a few days too. It's best to under promise and over deliver. Who knows, you may get a call in a few days saying its ready, thus exceeding your expectations;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure U have it by next Friday mate and U can jump straight into a drive with some of the gang on Sunday... U know U want too.

Haha call me old school, but ive always been a firm believer of 'settling in' a car and i know if im tempted with some twisties the red mist will descend and all thoughts of self-preservation will go out the window! Plus id like to get used to her properly before taking her on any drives...

Your car isn't the only one that they have to process and deliver :) also, the tint guy tinting your car may be booked out for a few days too. It's best to under promise and over deliver. Who knows, you may get a call in a few days saying its ready, thus exceeding your expectations;)

Priorities man! Priorities! They have had a week and a half since i spoke to the gal about the tint booking so id be somewhat annoyed if there were delays because of that.. hell, give it to me now and we can do the tinting later :lol:

great shine on the paint! did you do it yourself or was it from the dealer?

Red pack on the black car does look sweet

lol to be honest the inside and out require a good once over.. seems theyve done a half a***d wax job, theres excess all over the outside.. simple once over with a cloth will get it off.

Im going to do the nanolex coat, just waiting to get the clear vinyl applied to the front..

As some may have read in my 'delivery checklist' thread..

They MESSED IT UP!

Ive been given the trophy spec interior, not the trophy +. Ive got yellow belts, wheel and grey insert on the dash.. When im meant to have red wheel, belt and red dash strip. I only clicked last night after lying awake for hours thinking about it..

Now i have to get the dealer to change them over... sigh.

So to provide an update:

I spoke with the dealer, they stated that when one elects the recaro leather buckets they automaticallly 'upgrade' the interior to yellow stitching, belts and silver highlighter dash. To me, the fact that Renault can go about making these changes on the fly is absolute rubbish.

No where in any of the reference material provided, including their website, does it state that electing recaros will automatically option yellow everything. Their stuff goes as far as saying yellow items on a trophy+ are 'not available'.

I just personally think its misleading. Even the dealer admitted to it being "confusing"!

Ive sent an email to the dealership, now waiting on their response from Renault.. I have been fortunate enough that the sales guys there have been understanding and prompt with their actioning of the situation.

All im seeking is that they replace the yellow items with the red.. I hope common sense prevails and i dont have to take it further...

So to provide an update:

I spoke with the dealer, they claim that when one elects the recaro leather buckets they automaticallly 'upgrade' the interior to yellow stitching, belts and silver highlighter dash. To me, this is absolute rubbish.

No where in any of the reference material provided, including their website, does it state that electing recaros will automatically option yellow everything. Their stuff goes as far as saying yellow items on a trophy+ are 'not available'.

I just personally think its misleading. Even the dealer admitted to it being "confusing"!

Ive sent an email to the dealership, now waiting on their response from Renault.. All im seeking is that they replace the yellow items with the red.. I hope common sense prevails and i dont have to take it further...

The dealership should have a notice/guide that was sent to them explaining all the various options and what happens in regards to ordering seats and trim colours changing. Ian at Barry Bourke told me about it at least and the document he had did say that optioning Recaros automatically gives you yellow seatbelts etc.

oh man, I'm guttered for you :(

Defies all logic - why have a 'red pack' at all if they only give you half of it when another option gets ticked?

At least the outside looks the biz! Hope you get a satisfactory resolution soon.

Cheers and congrats in any case :D

Welcome to Club 265