Interested in a Megane RS

Mintee

Hello hello

I'm probably going to head down and check out a Megane RS tomorrow and just have a couple of questions that I'm hoping the Renault community can help me out with.

A little about me, I guess. I'm 28, and looking for a new daily. I've gone from a 2013 MK 7 Golf TDI > 2015 MK 7 Golf GTI (Manual) > 2018 MK 7.5 Golf GTI In manual. I'm looking for a car that has the 'go' but that I can deal with daily.

My biggest gripe with my golfs was 1) Reliability 2) Creaks and rattles, but at the same time my loves were 1) Interior fit and finish 2) Tech and features.

Looking at the Megane I think id be looking at a RS Sport with the EDC (I'm a little over the manuals). I don't plan to put the car on track at all. But I have a couple of concerns.

1) My golf had a Electronic Slip Diff, and I regret not going for a mechanical one. It just couldn't keep it down to the front wheels. I'm concerned though that the Cup version has too harsh of a ride. Thoughts?

2) Infotainment, Reviews say its clunky, slow and just... terrible to deal with, is it really THAT bad? 

3) I personally don't like buying cars LATE in a model lifecycle, I know that the current shape Megane came out in 2016, but the RS came in 2018. I did some googling and cant seem to find any info on a new model coming anytime soon, would this be correct?

3a) There is some details of a facelift though, improving the drivers info display, 'minor cosmetic changes', and Lane Departure no longer just a 'warning' and becoming an 'assist', Has this occurred in Australia, or does anyone have any info on this? or Does Anyone have any info on the key differences between a MY19 (currently on 'sale', MY20, and upcoming MY21?)

4) How are Renaults in terms of reliability, and the dealer network? Although my VW had its problems, There was pretty much no questions asked in looking into it, and sorting my issues out, parts came pretty quick too.

Any other info would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi. Good choice to look at the RS 😃

1) Really up to you. The cup chassis is too firm for me, but others love it. You will get axle tramp with the sport and OEM tyres. My tramp went away with some nice Goodyear asymmetric 5 tyres.

2) it's fine. I miss the physical buttons for the aircon more

3) don't know

3a) don't know

4) Reliability is good. Dealers are dealers. Some better than others.

I think you will enjoy having test drives!

7 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

I think you will enjoy having test drives!

Yeah. Fingers crossed I don't get treated like crap as some dealers treat young people. That's there time to make an impression.

Do you have recommendations of dealers, I was going to head to Essendon.

Oh, I plan to get a Sunroof, is there any reports of leaking/creaking?

10 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

1) Really up to you. The cup chassis is too firm for me, but others love it. You will get axle tramp with the sport and OEM tyres. My tramp went away with some nice Goodyear asymmetric 5 tyres.

Have you driven other cars in this segment to compare it to? Is it like a Type-R (last gen) type of ride, I found that too harsh or even my GTI with the adaptive dampeners set to 'sport'

I see you have a manual one, do you regret it now, or prefer it? I just feel with newer vehicle technology, ACC, self park etc its better for autos? Plus, you're on boost longer considering I cant shift as fast as a dual clutch. 

I've driven the sport and it is very very comfortable. Almost too comfortable - makes you feel like you're driving a tourer not a hot hatch. But I noticed I didn't seem to miss the LSD. Many other than @oscargamer have mentioned how tyres, unsurprisingly in many ways, transform the car. 

Interestingly a car reviewer did a track test and the sport was ahead of the cup in regards to lap time. I know you said you weren't going to be tracking it, but it says something about the 4WS and the sport suspension! 

Yes I also found going from previous RS265s as a daily for real estate became a little "tiring" in its ride. But part of me loved the hard core nature. LOL

I drove both the Cup and sport and settled on the sport EDC due to the much nicer ride for work and longer Kms. I did notice at first going from LSD to none for a few weeks but now its not a thought.  Not so much I made the wrong choice, just that it is different now

I also hated the S001s for off the line, and changing to better rubber was great.

I have 2 years on the car nearly and only issue is engine mounts ( 2nd replaced) which are fixed under warranty. (but my last Rs's also used about 7-9 over 2 cars over 6 years) so I guess a lot of that is my driving :) They are expensive when warranty runs out anyway. I dont think many other owners have had issues 

And besides all that I think its the fattest looking hot hatch around, I like the RS3 and Focus RS but they just look like a $30k audi

4 hours ago, Mintee said:

Do you have recommendations of dealers, I was going to head to Essendon.

I used Geelong. They were great. "Here's the keys. Bring it back in an hour with a full tank please"

Werribee awful. 'Allowed me to test drive for about 3km with a salesretard next to me talking shit the whole time.'

Have you driven other cars in this segment to compare it to?

Nope.

I see you have a manual one, do you regret it now, or prefer it? I just feel with newer vehicle technology, ACC, self park etc its better for autos? Plus, you're on boost longer considering I cant shift as fast as a dual clutch. 

I can't stand anything other than manual. Buy the one you prefer.

2 hours ago, anthonyremax said:

I also hated the S001s for off the line, and changing to better rubber was great.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Mintee said:

I wonder how much wriggle room there is in the price on these. Is there a % that everyone aims for? For the Sport EDC that is....

But FML... insurance quotes 😮

Today I would say very little due to lack of stock. No harm in making a reasonable serious offer though. If you're trading in it's always the changeover price though. 

If you're going for a sunroof - I'd be inclined to ensure you test drive prior to purchase (if possible).  Try and find opportunities to get the chassis flexing and keep an ear out for creaks.

I thought the facelift was due in six months - overseas reports indicate it is an improvement, and it does include the interior technology from the Clio 5 which is superior to that in the current Megane model.  But am unsure if that is important noting the car has CarPlay, it fills the screen nicely, and the operation is linked to the buttons on the steering wheel.

Once I've had my sunroof sorted, I have no complaints about my Meg 4.  Am very much trying to look after it noting that it is probably the last that there will be...

Hi Mintee;

I recently purchased a 2020 Meg Sport and had pretty much the same questions you had before pulling the trigger.  I only have slightly over 1000 Km on mine and it has been a great experience.  I have to say that the Sport EDC version is extremely comfortable and a very nice daily drive.   For me the Sport was just fine and I don't think I am missing much for not having the LSD.   The infotainment takes some time to get used to it but for me it works just fine specially with  Android Auto.  Changing the AC speed takes a few taps but it is not a deal breaker.   As another member mentioned it could use a couple more buttons.

I had the chance to drive one with a sunroof and I didn't really like the space you lose above your head.   I also preferred the black  roof interior over the lighter color in the one with the sunroof.   Just personal preference here.

I don't think you will be able to negotiate the price much considering the limited amount of cars in the market.  I would still try....

So far it has been a wonderful experience, it is a  nice car that drives incredibly well. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

12 hours ago, Ernie said:

I also preferred the black  roof interior over the lighter color in the one with the sunroof.   Just personal preference here.

I don't think you will be able to negotiate the price much considering the limited amount of cars in the market.  I would still try...

Congrats on the purchase. 

Oh no! Getting a sunroof changes it to beige? Sigh...

I'm not in a rush for a car.. so I actually don't mind waiting so that's a positive and if the changes seem significant ( which in my eyes it seems substantial) then I'm more then happy to wait. I sold my golf privately during this crisis which is great! Because I got a decent chunk for in, much more then what I would have got for a trade in 

I wish you could pinch little features from each manufacturer hahah I'm just concerned that the Megane is missing the 1%ers that I'm used to that I'll miss... Like a sunglass holder 

Oh well I'll head to Werribee today to check one out !

Appreciate all the feedback!!!

Edited by Mintee
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

NOT Werribee. Please re-read my post......

So, just got back from 2 dealers and phoned another. Boy... was I disappointed....

So, just so everyone knows. Renault Werribee was sold, there is 0 stock, the dealer is shut, I asked next door at Hyundai...

Went to Essendon, they had a Cup in stock as a showroom car, as not too much info, and apparently the trophy they had for test drives was out so I couldn't test drive it.

Called another dealer (dont want to mention there name because I think they gave me really good inside info and was super helpful) who confirmed he had a MY21 coming in may ish, this had the features I was talking about (larger odometer digital, better infotainment, shark fin antenna, improved AEB and lane departure assist). This guy on the phone was SUPER DUPER helpful.

All 3 dealers mentioned that they're going to simplify the range next year but don't have too much info on it, but it looks like the trophy is the only one that will be in the RS lineup, which will be really disappointing..... BUT there may be a car in the middle like a 'RS line' with a bit of 'go' - especially since I think that the trophy is going to be closer to 60k and quite a harsh ride (in saying that I havent test driven it so cant comment) I may need to rule it out.

Might need to just wait and see...

The simplification is that there will be NO Cup version

RS Sport gets the current Trophy engine (which from what I understand is a different turbo), but stock (current) suspension

RS Trophy is what it is now mechanically

I'm glad you told me May - I'm still deciding if I want to try to get a clearance 2020, or wait for the new model and was wondering how long that would be

1 hour ago, Mr2pod said:

The simplification is that there will be NO Cup version

RS Sport gets the current Trophy engine (which from what I understand is a different turbo), but stock (current) suspension

RS Trophy is what it is now mechanically

I'm glad you told me May - I'm still deciding if I want to try to get a clearance 2020, or wait for the new model and was wondering how long that would be

And only EDC I heard

26 minutes ago, Mr2pod said:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/869468/2021-renault-megane-rs-facelift-due-in-the-first-half-of-next-year/

this was the early reports, but what gets shipped here will be interesting. I'm tracking down info from my local dealers too

Its been quite a while since those reports.  Below shows the 'facelifted' model. Its more the AC buttons, Digital Dash and centre you can see different. Looks to be out for a while in europe so only a matter of time before it comes here. I just didnt want to go up to trophy level, so im hoping theres something at the bottom end. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAZDNeCUXHA&ab_channel=PavelSrp

Some more info (my not be applicable here I know) but these translate to 

-Traffic Sign

-Distance in front (so, acc?)

-Active Brake

-Fatigue

-blind spot

image.png.4a869795ce02ab6c65b1903d46b62146.png

Edited by Mintee

29 minutes ago, Mr2pod said:

These things will appeal to some, but for me it's the mechanical package that is going to decide my choice of car.

I suspect these guys/girls agree but the question is whether or not it's worth the wait - given past depreciation I'd say no way, but in the current climate it might be worth waiting. If there were second hand/demos around for 10K less then I'd say no. The only newer tech I think is worth it is rear cross traffic alert (so you can actually get out of a car park when you've been sandwiched between two F150s) and headlight active shadowing. A lot of the safety tech I think makes things worse. Someone I know almost had an accident caused by emergency braking when they turned a corner because of a parked car causing the radar to think it was going to have an accident. 

3 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

I suspect these guys/girls agree but the question is whether or not it's worth the wait - given past depreciation I'd say no way, but in the current climate it might be worth waiting. If there were second hand/demos around for 10K less then I'd say no.

I agree exactly with this. take 10k off the price and I'll probably settle for a 2020 model. I'm watching prices and they are dropping in the past few weeks. Now listed as low as $49,800 drive away price should mean you could squeeze them down a bit more. Every other manufacturer has increased prices on the new models, so I'd expect the same when the 2021 RS lands here, which would see them above 55k drive away for the first 6 months at least.

3 hours ago, Mr2pod said:

, so I'd expect the same when the 2021 RS lands here, which would see them above 55k drive away for the first 6 months at least.

Question is more how much wriggle room is there. We recently got a a250 with a sticker of 64 for 52k. Previous golf had a sticker of 52 picked up for 48... How much room is there on RSs in general? I'll need to do some investigating 

47 minutes ago, Mintee said:

Question is more how much wriggle room is there. We recently got a a250 with a sticker of 64 for 52k. Previous golf had a sticker of 52 picked up for 48... How much room is there on RSs in general? I'll need to do some investigating 

Holy crap! That Merc is almost 20% off! Was that during COVID though?

On 23/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, Mintee said:

I'll definitely wait for the my 21 upgrades

I’d be worried about the Phase 2 model for Aust having a PPF installed - and the resultant mute exhaust. You wouldn’t know until they’re delivered as to whether that is the case.

Edited by matt9999

Ive been doing alot of research.... i'm a little worried. I'm not seeing a good value proposition for a daily.

Other then looking amazing, performance, and 4 wheel steering in comparison to other competitors in Australia I feel renault is lacking a bit, especially on the tech side for what they're asking. Comparing something like the 'sport' to at 52k DA

Items like, Highspeed AEB (with pedestrian and cyclist detection), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Speed Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Reverse AEB, Matrix Style LED Headlights, HUD, Adaptive Rides (dampeners), Digital Keys, Wireless Charging, Wireless AA/CP, Lumbar Support, a Sunglass Holder, Darker Roof Lining(W/Roof), Digital Dashes etc are 'standard' or going to be be the norm in other competitors in the same range, or at least rumoured to be in there next model this year, yeah I get that some of those things are bullshit.... but, i'd appreciate some of them especially when im used to some of them. Okay the Megane..... has it on looks! But I feel that the competitors offer a little more, or is it just me?..... Looking at the i30n (48k DA), MK8 Golf GTI (Based on MK7 prices imma assume about 50k), Type R (55k, more inline with the cup at 55k). With trophy pricing up near 60's that's almost near Golf R, M135i pricing and they have AWD systems 

I'm just worried that the 'little things' is what I'll miss.

How are the PUREVISION LED's on the Megane? I'm used to adaptive LED's and Matrix Lights, so this is honestly one of my bigger concerns at night.

Hmmm decisions decisions.... 

The headlights on the RS280 are excellent. And it’s got enough gadgets to keep us happy. But it’s the driving you buy a Renaultsport for. They just feel different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mintee said:

Ive been doing alot of research.... i'm a little worried. I'm not seeing a good value proposition for a daily.

Other then looking amazing, performance, and 4 wheel steering in comparison to other competitors in Australia I feel renault is lacking a bit, especially on the tech side for what they're asking. Comparing something like the 'sport' to at 52k DA

Items like, Highspeed AEB (with pedestrian and cyclist detection), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Speed Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Reverse AEB, Matrix Style LED Headlights, HUD, Adaptive Rides (dampeners), Digital Keys, Wireless Charging, Wireless AA/CP, Lumbar Support, a Sunglass Holder, Darker Roof Lining(W/Roof), Digital Dashes etc are 'standard' or going to be be the norm in other competitors in the same range, or at least rumoured to be in there next model this year, yeah I get that some of those things are bullshit.... but, i'd appreciate some of them especially when im used to some of them. Okay the Megane..... has it on looks! But I feel that the competitors offer a little more, or is it just me?..... Looking at the i30n (48k DA), MK8 Golf GTI (Based on MK7 prices imma assume about 50k), Type R (55k, more inline with the cup at 55k). With trophy pricing up near 60's that's almost near Golf R, M135i pricing and they have AWD systems 

How are the PUREVISION LED's on the Megane? I'm used to adaptive LED's and Matrix Lights, so this is honestly one of my bigger concerns at night.

Don't forget that looks probably go a longer way than you realise. If I bought a golf or A45 I think I'd regret it, though have thought about both. I love the way my Focus and my Clio look and would miss either dearly! 

38 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Don't forget that looks probably go a longer way than you realise. If I bought a golf or A45 I think I'd regret it, though have thought about both. I love the way my Focus and my Clio look and would miss either dearly! 

Well.... This is true.... I think if they cut the sport next year it might put it off my cards even though it does look great. At close to 60k that's pushing my budget a little too thin :( fingers crossed they keep the sport

You’re probably better off waiting for the Golf 8 GTI. Half of those things you listed I would never go near again. The emergency braking is why I got rid of my wife’s SQ5.

as noted by other posters, you’re not buying Renault to get the latest interior gadgets.

1 hour ago, matt9999 said:

You’re probably better off waiting for the Golf 8 GTI. Half of those things you listed I would never go near again. The emergency braking is why I got rid of my wife’s SQ5.

as noted by other posters, you’re not buying Renault to get the latest interior gadgets.

The golfs interior doesnt appeal to be being fully touch and every man having a golf. Im kinda over it. I didnt want all those gadgets... just a couple. If I had to chose, id take any improvement with LED's, darker roof lining with a sunroof, a sunglass holder and AEB (it has saved me a few times)

Just think 60k is a bit rich... either way ive called half the dealers in melbourne to see if they have a trophy and none have one to drive... looks like ill have to just wait and revaluate 

Edited by Mintee

1 hour ago, Mintee said:

Called a few more dealers all pretty much said there's no 'sport' in AUS next year, a 60k price point is a little too rough for me to digest. Not sure what to do now

When you started this thread, you knew little about the RS.

With time, you gained knowledge and it now sounds like you want an RS that doesn't exist (either features are wrong or budget is wrong or.....)

Budget is of course important, so why not buy an RS that you can afford, that has most of the features you want. The other choice is buy another car.

Most people here would say buy an RS. Most people on a Golf forum would say buy a Golf. It really is your choice.

I bought an Alfa in the late 90's, when they were unreliable pieces of sxxx. I LOVED that car. It put a smile on my face each and every drive. It was regularly at the dealer with issues. I still loved it.

I now have an RS280. I love it too. It's quirky, has some features that I think "who the F designed that?" I also have a smile on my face every drive.

To me, that's worth heaps.

I have access to some very nice cars at work. BMW 530d, X5 4.0L, even an M5 Competition (only once though) - used to have SS's, V6 turbos etc...etc... - I still prefer the drive of my RS. Why? No idea. Maybe because I own it and chose it.

Only you can assess which car is right for you.....

Good luck, whichever way you go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt9999 said:

I can't remember if I've posted it before but I know of others with this issue. A much earlier technology, emergency brake assist, caused an accident in what was the first car that had it (IIRC). I braked hard in an emergency fashion but then realised I had much more time and space, the car disagreed and kept full pressure and the car behind went into my backside. The driver thought I wouldn't keep my brakes on, which I didn't! So they didn't brake as hard and it caused an accident.

Can I suggest something? It sounds dumb but give it a chance: Flip a coin, heads you buy an RS, tails you don't. If you're happy it landed on heads and glad it didn't land on tails, that means you really want it regardless of updates next year. If the opposite happens and you're happy, don't buy one. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mintee said:

Forgive me, but it seems you are more into the 'bells, whistles and bright lights ' side of driving.

If you are really into 'the driving' get a Renault RS Sport.

That's what they are about.

NOT the latest 'gadgets and driver assists' the car has.

Go to a couple of track days, and get some 'driver tuition'.

AND the end result will be, you'll have fun, and learn to drive properly. 

DON'T try to do it on public roads, you will only put other roads users at risk.

Apologies if I've misjudged you and it sounds like I'm trying to tell how to 'suck eggs'.

It was not my intention. 

Let us know how you go, so others can benefit from your experiences. 

🙏

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Mintee said:

Hi Mintee;

The cars you listed are pretty different. For example, I simply don't see myself driving a  Golf R  or a Type R....   if pricing is the critical path then you are stuck with the I30N ( assuming you want to stay below 50k and willing to wait for its arrival)  We all buy cars for different reasons but if you are looking for gadgets and features then all you need is the list of specs on paper to buy.    Some others buy sport cars because they feel connected to it.  You go for a spin and see how big is the smile you have in your face once you are done....

There is no perfect car,  and the Megane is not the exception.   I would say go for a ride and see how  you feel about it, you will find in this forum heaps of people that wouldn't drive anything else!!!

Good luck in your search!!!

Cheers

Honestly if you see yourself missing features like a sunglass holder you really are shopping in the wrong dealership.

Just go and drive one, you'll know within 5 minutes if you can look past the jewellery or not.

If you do love it this might solve one issue.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221868947083

Edited by Matt205
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5