Long time converted lurker now with a Trophy

whereislee

Hi All!

Wesley here, long time lurker on OZRS from when I was trying to help my partner find a R27 F1 Team back in 2016 (ended up with a 6 speed 06 Cooper S instead) to now a proud owner of a Capsicum Red Clio 182 Trophy. I'm a Sydneysider now residing in the UK, hence the purchase :). I've been hooked on Renaults since driving a couple Megane RS, one at the nurburgring and one at the great ocean road. My mate, a big renault fanatic, has been planting the seed for a while from riding shotgun in his mint sunset yellow phase 1 172 to driving his recent 182. 

I've had a string of cars from a WRX STI to a JDM Toyota Altezza RS200 to a BMW 130i to a DC5 Integra Type R and now the Trophy.

Whats-App-Image-2020-05-29-at-9-52-58-AM

IMG-20200714-151247.jpg

I look forward to meeting more members in the future!

Edited by whereislee
  • Like 18

Nice car 👍. In case you didn’t realise it, you just made a lot of ppl jealous. Some because you own a trophy, others  because you have driven the green hell and me on both accounts. When are you coming back to oz to increase our trophy count too...? (Guys what’s the trophy count?

Edited by Nat1
Realised he isn’t new
  • Like 1

Also Gambit was living in the UK and bought back a trophy, he may know tuners, mechanics etc, for you to use or have advice where you can get decent avocado on toast or maybe a macro organic vegan soy milk chai latte (or am I just assuming your from Melbourne?) just realised you already know gambit so I’ll shut up 😁

Edited by Nat1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nat1 said:

or have advice where you can get decent avocado on toast or maybe a macro organic vegan soy milk chai latte (or am I just assuming your from Melbourne?) 

Your points are well noted for a Sydneysider, which Wesley also is.

On 23/09/2020 at 5:16 PM, Nat1 said:

Also Gambit was living in the UK and bought back a trophy, he may know tuners, mechanics etc, for you to use or have advice where you can get decent avocado on toast or maybe a macro organic vegan soy milk chai latte (or am I just assuming your from Melbourne?) just realised you already know gambit so I’ll shut up 😁

haha, thanks mate. Yeah I reached out to Gambit pretty early on in my Trophy ownership, has been extremely helpful. 

On 24/09/2020 at 1:03 AM, Gambit said:

Congrats again Lee and such an awesome car! 

Thanks mate!

On 24/09/2020 at 11:51 AM, walkie86 said:

Glad I could help in the conversion. Now hurry up and bring the Trophy home!!!!!

Cheers! I'm sure you'll be the first to know when its in a container/boat heading down under. 

Cheers for the welcome everyone!

3 minutes ago, RSky said:

How did you rate the BM? I like the 125i but there's stuff all manuals around down this neck of the woods it seems.

loved it, probably the best out of the box car out of all the cars that I've owned (prior to the Trophy) and didn't need to really do much to it other than exhaust to get more of that straight 6 growl. The E8x 125i can be tuned to gain 130i power levels too. I had actually seen a few manual 125i listed in the southern states when I was looking a few years ago (the N52 engine is pretty bullet proof). I upgraded my axle back to a N54 135i and gave a nice deep growl, @walkie86had a N55 135i axle back on his 130i and I could hear it pop and crackle coming down my street before he pulled into my driveway ahah. Drop me a PM if you want some more info.

15 minutes ago, woot woot said:

I am surprised you got a rs200 altezza. Are they sluggish as people say?

I've actually had a few of the chassis including the Lexus IS200 (2004 - 2012) and IS300. The Altezza was special, felt like a stripped out version of the Lexus equivalent with sharpened handling and a high revving 4 cylinder (7800rpm) with variable valve timing on inlet and exhaust. It would just want to rev and go through the gears, though not much torque down low so you would just need to rev it like a Honda. In comparison the Clio feels like it has more low down torque but the 300kg or so advantage probably makes a difference. I had it dynoed at 115kw at the wheels with a factory tune with full exhaust and could manage a 1:15.7 at Wakefield. Mine was quite heavily modified as I took it to Wakefield a few times, not the quickest car in the world but plenty for Sydney streets. Sold with 215k km in 2016, car now resides back in Melbourne where I bought it from :). 

Edited by whereislee
  • Like 1

IS200 is probably the best car I’ve ever driven, apart from no power, great chassis, excellent 6 speed and brakes. Unbelievably smooth 6 cylinder, but you constantly hit the 6500 rev limit thinking is that it? IS300 auto, despite around 50kw more and paddle shifters (crap) was boring in comparison. Always wondered what the Toms version with 280 hp 3sgte would be like.

9 hours ago, Nat1 said:

IS200 is probably the best car I’ve ever driven, apart from no power, great chassis, excellent 6 speed and brakes. Unbelievably smooth 6 cylinder, but you constantly hit the 6500 rev limit thinking is that it? IS300 auto, despite around 50kw more and paddle shifters (crap) was boring in comparison. Always wondered what the Toms version with 280 hp 3sgte would be like.

yeah it does have a great chassis, the IS300 added the early very intrusive non switchable versions of VDC aka stability control. have driven a friends Altezza with a greddy turbo kit and I have to say I prefer the common 2jz + T for pure low end torque. The aus market should see a few on the shores now that they are eligible for import.