Rough idling or normal ? RS265

weather

Wasn't sure which section to post this and was a bit confused by the forum options.  Have had my RS265 for few weeks...I noticed that in Sport it idles a little rough at the lights...like the odd blip and then drop, blip & drop ect (engine is hot and not cold).  Thought maybe its a "Sport" personality....switched to normal but still does it, just not as frequently. Do these things normally run smooth at idle? (am used to my old GTI which was always smooth idling hence really noticing this)  Car only has 45,000 klms, last service 40,000k which included plugs etc (as was time based it was the 60k service). Cheers..

11 hours ago, weather said:

Wasn't sure which section to post this and was a bit confused by the forum options.  Have had my RS265 for few weeks...I noticed that in Sport it idles a little rough at the lights...like the odd blip and then drop, blip & drop ect (engine is hot and not cold).  Thought maybe its a "Sport" personality....switched to normal but still does it, just not as frequently. Do these things normally run smooth at idle? (am used to my old GTI which was always smooth idling hence really noticing this)  Car only has 45,000 klms, last service 40,000k which included plugs etc (as was time based it was the 60k service). Cheers..

My RS250 and has 126k km on the clock and runs pretty smooth on idle - better than my wife's Golf 92Tsi.

I'm in Perth too (Attadale) - I can put an ODB2 scanner on your car and try and see what's going on.

PM me if you are interested.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, weather said:

Sounds like your car needs a good thrashing !!!

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Zoto said:

My RS250 and has 126k km on the clock and runs pretty smooth on idle - better than my wife's Golf 92Tsi.

I'm in Perth too (Attadale) - I can put an ODB2 scanner on your car and try and see what's going on.

PM me if you are interested.

Many thanks, I am looking for work atm, not long been in Perth but once I get organised I will get in touch to do that - that would be great, also to meet another RS owner etc. Thanks again..

17 hours ago, paulo said:

Could it be engine mounts need replacing? My Clio 3 was rough on idle but became buttery smooth after I replaced all engine and gearbox mounts. 

Engine mounts at 45,000 k's?  Geeez I hope not...wouldn't say too much about Renault quality...

5 hours ago, eight said:

Thanks for the tip, the reviews are quite interesting...might drop the oil and add that same time.  Cheers mate...

Just now, weather said:

Thanks for the tip, the reviews are quite interesting...might drop the oil and add that same time.  Cheers mate...

ps. meant to say that I am a fan of the Nulon products in general...had great success in halting oil usage between oil changes in a previous car.

13 minutes ago, weather said:

No need to drop the oil if is not to dirty. But it's good idea.

I had a chatter somewhere and I wasn't sure if it's timing chain or valves. One week after treatment it was gone.

Edited by eight

7 minutes ago, eight said:

No need to drop the oil if is not to dirty. But it's good idea.

I had a chatter somewhere and I wasn't sure if it's timing chain or valves. One week after treatment it was gone.

Yeh right...I definitely notice the chatter with the hood up but the idle has become a little rougher, was out today and idle at the lights is certainly not smooth, but lumpy...From the receipts I see it had the major 60k service at 40k klms (5000 ago) which included replacing the plugs..)  Pretty sure the previous owner was a town guy...very low klms for a 2015 car so lots of short trips. Today was the first drive after 2 weeks, maybe its is a bit clogged and a good hard drive and the Nulon might fix...

On 08/06/2022 at 7:56 AM, ALLEZ said:

^^^ This

Even if the mounts haven't failed, the bushings might be worn and a powerflex insert is a good idea - certainly straightened me out. 

Thanks, yeh the evidence is mounting for exactly that...many say same etc. Cheers..

On 01/06/2022 at 10:27 PM, Docmattic said:

I used to wonder about this too. Even had mechanics check plugs. Then one day I was looking the engine up on Wikipedia and it said that the engine (f4rt) has a rough idle. Mind you mine got better after a tune.

That's really  quite interesting re the Wikipedia reference to the rough idle...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 9:43 PM, weather said:

That's really  quite interesting re the Wikipedia reference to the rough idle...

Mine had poor idle quality since 27 delivery km. I think it’s just the way they are. It’s just the  downside of getting such an old engine platform to be euro 5 compliant. A remap can fix it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2022 at 2:49 PM, Maaarlon said:

Mine has a rough idle - tried all manner of things to cure it and never succeeded. 

It goes away as soon as I rev the engine so I have learnt to ignore it. 

Yeh right...good to know. It was quite disconcerting at first after purchasing, thinking it might just stall at some point while at the lights etc. Performance seems to be absolutely fine, nothing untoward while driving - only at the lights, hasnt smoothed in anyway, just the same as first day of pick up but also not worse. Wikipedia notes it as characteristic of the engine.