Jump to content

Hi, im new here and looking to buy a Megane RS 2014/15 Premium


AussieGuy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I was talking to someone on a Megane Facebook page and recommended this site and because im hopefully going to own one of these cars soon, I thought I would join.

I just sold my Mazda 3 MPS 2010 Luxury (was completely stock) and was looking for something of an upgrade over my MPS and came across these cars. They seem really nice and the only negatives I can see are they could be hard to get parts and it has a firm ride ?

 

Anyway, im looking to buy a rs 265 premium version in the Brisbane area thats immaculate with low ks and hopefully in my budget 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firm ride is a negative ? Most RS Megane buyers will see that as a positive. Does the Premium come with the Cup suspension ?

Parts ? Engine oil you can get from Supercheap. Tyres from any tyre shop. My car has needed new spark plugs once every 60K km's - oh and those came via eBay to my door. Air filter ? - eBay as well. Oil filter ? My local EAI stocks those. My car hasn't needed anything else.

Buy and enjoy driving !

Cheers

Justin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jberth1 said:

Firm ride is a negative ? Most RS Megane buyers will see that as a positive. Does the Premium come with the Cup suspension ?

Parts ? Engine oil you can get from Supercheap. Tyres from any tyre shop. My car has needed new spark plugs once every 60K km's - oh and those came via eBay to my door. Air filter ? - eBay as well. Oil filter ? My local EAI stocks those. My car hasn't needed anything else.

Buy and enjoy driving !

Cheers

Justin

Well from all the reviews I've seen on this car they always mention the firm suspension as a negative. I dont think ive driven a car with hard suspension before so I dont know. But someone told me if you put 245 tyres on the car instead of 235's it can make it a little more comfy?

But I want to use this car as a daily driver and won't be taking it to the track at all. I just want a nice looking car that's fun to drive and with power when I want it and an upgrade over my mps. This car seems to fit my criteria the most for the budget I have out of all the car searching I have done. But now I know what I want, I just got to find a nice one 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an RS 250 with cup suspension, 19 inch Steeves (235 PS4S), leather Recaros and I don’t have a problem with suspension.

Sure some local roads can be a bit rough and potholes can give you a jolt but you get this is varying degrees in any vehicle plus you may just be going a bit harder in a Meg🙃🤣😜

On highway is comfortable and I’ve done Melbourne Sydney return a few times non stop apart from fuel and never got out of the car wishing I hadn’t.  The only thing that annoys me on these trips is the speed limit and those damn cameras.

There are a few things I would grizzle about like the entertainment system, navigation, no Apple CarPlay etc but you can get around these and they pale into insignificance when you see/feel the smile on your dial driving a great car that stands out in the crowd.

Go for it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieGuy said:

Well from all the reviews I've seen on this car they always mention the firm suspension as a negative. I dont think ive driven a car with hard suspension before so I dont know. But someone told me if you put 245 tyres on the car instead of 235's it can make it a little more comfy?

But I want to use this car as a daily driver and won't be taking it to the track at all. I just want a nice looking car that's fun to drive and with power when I want it and an upgrade over my mps. This car seems to fit my criteria the most for the budget I have out of all the car searching I have done. But now I know what I want, I just got to find a nice one 🙂

The Megane RS is a high performance car - RS car are renowned for their handling. One can only achieve very good handling with a suspension that is "firm". Soft suspension does not compute with good handling. So - if you want a Megane RS for performance, you will have a firm suspension. You cannot have one without the other !!!! (unless you buy something like a BMW that has adjustable suspension and 'comfort'  settings for the cardigan brigade.) And you would be well advised to keep the standard factory size tyres on it (and get the best tyres you can - no cheapies). RenaultSport has spent millions of $$$ setting these cars up and fine tuning them - 

Edited by slick
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a couple of pics from my old MPS that I owned back in the day:

51253255490_9790d9bc02_b.jpg

51252210881_01c918195d_b.jpg

I can impart some judgement here since I used to own a Mazda MPS 3 and am now onto my second Megane 3 RS (I had a Megane RS 250, sold that went to a 2015 Wrx STi, then saw the error in my ways and bought a Megane RS 265).

The Mazda was 'faster' in a straight line... if you like that thing. The MPS obviously has a bigger motor and higher engine HP. Thats the only thing going for that car.

Renault know how to build good drivers cars. Chassis tuning is obvious and you'll notice it instantly as soon as you drive the Megane. The MPS was hard to get on the power when there was even slight steering angle in the steering. So you were always waiting to get the steering wheel straight before applying power. On a track or twisting roads, the car is a lot slower than the Megane. 

Megane also has factory LSD, Brembo brakes, and (depending on which car you buy) leather Recaro's. They are big ticket items that most other manufacturers leave out. The Megane is also newer too by about 4-5 years to your old car. The difference in interior feel is obvious, the Mazda is showing its age now. 

Ask yourself this, what motorsport does Mazda compete in? None. Renault on the other hand is in all forms of motorsport and all that research/development filters down to their road going cars - especially the RenaultSport vehicles in the Renault brand.

 

I'll say this, I wasn't a "car handling" guy before I bought my first Megane. I never wanted to do track days or anything like that. But as soon as you experience a well set up chassis'd car like the Megane you'll understand. The car flatters you and makes you a better driver than what you are.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your looks nice also, I love stock fast cars that already look nice , so you dont really need to spend anything on them performance wise and cosmetically to make them look and run well. Thats what the appeal of the Megane RS 265 is to me. I haven't seen one in person yet, but they seem to fit my requirements except for the cheap door handle ive heard about that breaks easily, but I guess its better then serious mechanical issues that other cars can have.

 

This is my MPS I just sold 2 weeks ago. It was pretty much immaculate (bar a few stone chips)and completely stock except for a small ecu tune and hoping to find a RS Megane 265 as good as my MPS condition wise and low ks.

 

Also wondering how reliable these cars are and how much is a service for them ?

20210506_141112.jpg

20210506_141926.jpg

20210521_123620.jpg

20210521_123639.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, AussieGuy said:

Also wondering how reliable these cars are and how much is a service for them ?

Don't listen to what you see or hear about French cars. The Megane 3 RS's are stupidly reliable. You will read about broken door handles, or failed engine mounts or failed AC compressors. But they are the vocal FEW. The remainder of the silent owners have had nothing but pure motoring joy and reliability.

Servicing? Minor servicing is the same as what I paid for the Mazda. Major service, the Renault may cost more. But since you're looking at 2014/15 models this should already be done (regardless of Km's on the car).

 

Good luck finding your Megane. They were hidden secrets in the Aussie motoring landscape but are slowly becoming more and more popular. 

Edited by jim60t
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jim60t said:

Don't listen to what you see or hear about French cars. The Megane 3 RS's are stupidly reliable. You will read about broken door handles, or failed engine mounts or failed AC compressors. But they are the vocal FEW. The remainder of the silent owners have had nothing but pure motoring joy and reliability.

Servicing? Minor servicing is the same as what I paid for the Mazda. Major service, the Renault may cost more. But since you're looking at 2014/15 models this should already be done (regardless of Km's on the car).

 

Good luck finding your Megane. They were hidden secrets that in the Aussie motoring landscape but are slowly becoming more and more popular. 

I actually found out about the broken door handles from this place lol. Apparently the inside of the doors is a cheap plastic or not strong and breaks easily ?

Also, anychance you know what all the differences are between the 20114/15 rs 265 facelift version and the 275 ? Also, did we only get the Cup and Trophy models ? As thats all I have seen for sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AussieGuy said:

I actually found out about the broken door handles from this place lol. Apparently the inside of the doors is a cheap plastic or not strong and breaks easily ?

Also, anychance you know what all the differences are between the 20114/15 rs 265 facelift version and the 275 ? Also, did we only get the Cup and Trophy models ? As thats all I have seen for sale.

Read here. This website is my go to website when comparing any variant of a car i'm looking at.

https://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Renault&model=Megane RS&gen=798

The biggest difference will be how important are bi xenon HID lights to you? Facelift went back to Halogen lights (stuffed if i know what Renault were thinking). I personally like the facelift, and i've changed my headlight globes brighter LED ones - still no where near as good as the HID's in the pre facelift though).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jim60t said:

Read here. This website is my go to website when comparing any variant of a car i'm looking at.

https://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Renault&model=Megane RS&gen=798

The biggest difference will be how important are bi xenon HID lights to you? Facelift went back to Halogen lights (stuffed if i know what Renault were thinking). I personally like the facelift, and i've changed my headlight globes brighter LED ones - still no where near as good as the HID's in the pre facelift though).

Wow, thats stupid hey haha. I liked the HIDs in my MPS, but the facelift version seems so much better in other ways then the non facelift version.

 Ive been using Redbook to compare my cars, but it doesnt seem to tell you everything there so will check your site out, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I saw your post on the Facebook group AussieGuy. Welcome to the forum!

I recently purchased a Megane myself and can wholeheartedly recommend them so far. From everything I've read they are a reliable performance car. I personally don't understand the comments about the firmness of the suspension. It is firm but certainly not uncomfortable. It is a performance hot hatch after all. I recommend you drive a couple to see if it fits your criteria. As others on the Facebook group mentioned, you could also try to source a "Sport" model 265 that doesn't have the firmer "Cup" chassis if you really are looking for a softer setup.

Any more questions feel free to ask. I've read a bunch on this platform during my search. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

I think I saw your post on the Facebook group AussieGuy. Welcome to the forum!

I recently purchased a Megane myself and can wholeheartedly recommend them so far. From everything I've read they are a reliable performance car. I personally don't understand the comments about the firmness of the suspension. It is firm but certainly not uncomfortable. It is a performance hot hatch after all. I recommend you drive a couple to see if it fits your criteria. As others on the Facebook group mentioned, you could also try to source a "Sport" model 265 that doesn't have the firmer "Cup" chassis if you really are looking for a softer setup.

Any more questions feel free to ask. I've read a bunch on this platform during my search. :) 

Yeah thanks, someone from that group told me about this page so I thought I would join to try and learn more about these cars. Which model and year did you get, how many ks did it have and how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ?

 

But yeah, all's I need, is to actually find a good one in Qld to buy haha. They always seem to be interstate all the good ones. :(

Edited by AussieGuy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AussieGuy said:

Yeah thanks, someone from that group told me about this page so I thought I would join to try and learn more about these cars. Which model and year did you get, how many ks did it have and how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ?

 

But yeah, all's I need, is to actually find a good one in Qld to buy haha. They always seem to be interstate all the good ones. :(

I got a 2012 265 Trophy 8:08 (the special edition). It's got 84,000km and is immaculate. I ended up buying mine from SA and having it transported to Brisbane after no luck locally. My advice would be to wait for the right car with good service history. There are good cars out there but you need to wade through the higher km thrashed examples first.  I'll keep an eye out for you if you like. :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

I got a 2012 265 Trophy 8:08 (the special edition). It's got 84,000km and is immaculate. I ended up buying mine from SA and having it transported to Brisbane after no luck locally. My advice would be to wait for the right car with good service history. There are good cars out there but you need to wade through the higher km thrashed examples first.  I'll keep an eye out for you if you like. :) 

So, did you buy it sight unseen, or did you get someone to check it out for you ? Also, how much does it cost to transport a car to Qld and who do you go through thats trustworthy ? I always see good cars in WA, but thought they were way to far to even think about it. Even though I bought my MPS from Newcastle,  but I good an inspection done on it and then flew down to Newcastle and drove it back to Brisbane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AussieGuy said:

So, did you buy it sight unseen, or did you get someone to check it out for you ? Also, how much does it cost to transport a car to Qld and who do you go through thats trustworthy ? I always see good cars in WA, but thought they were way to far to even think about it. Even though I bought my MPS from Newcastle,  but I good an inspection done on it and then flew down to Newcastle and drove it back to Brisbane.

I had a French specialist in SA perform a PPI for me and I'd recommend anyone do the same if considering an interstate sale. CEVA Logistics are who I went through. Was a smooth process. Quotes available online. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OzJustin said:

I got a 2012 265 Trophy 8:08 (the special edition). It's got 84,000km and is immaculate. I ended up buying mine from SA and having it transported to Brisbane after no luck locally. My advice would be to wait for the right car with good service history. There are good cars out there but you need to wade through the higher km thrashed examples first.  I'll keep an eye out for you if you like. :) 

Similar to me. I'm in Sydney but bought my 8:08 from Melbourne with 39,000Km's on it. Flew down to Melbourne, paid for it, and drove it back to Sydney. I was after bi-xenons, leather recaro's and it had to be LY ! Yes I prefer the facelift, but you can't get that spec in facelift.

You need to remember that the doors on this model are big - and heavy. I would say that door handle breakages are happening with owners who are a little impatient when closing the door and reef on the handle too quickly. Take your time and you (probably) won't have an issue.

It's worth waiting for the 'right' spec ! I don't have any other car such as a track car, so in current terminology it must be my 'daily'.

Cheers

Justin

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just take journo reviews with massive bags of salt. They'll criticise anything they can in French cars, from ride, to the audio controls, to reliability. The next car they review is a BMW on run Flats that they say "they're ok because there's no spare" and then crap on about how awesome the car is. Much of this has to do to with, in my cynical mind, freebies like paid trips to review cars overseas etc. 

You need to listen to carfection and I think it's pistonheads on YouTube. They seem to have it spot on.

But that's not the point - you've come here despite all the naysayers. 

I would say the only cars that can do great handling with soft ride are the Clio IV sport, Megane IV Sport, and the Civic type R. The Civic being the best handling out of them all.

But I reckon the Megane III is the best driver's car I've ever owned. The only time I've ever wanted to change anything was driving over the worst Sydney roads. Prior to that, immensely happy. That was fixed as you say by fatter tyres (OEM were also stretched), or changing to the OEM 18" Tibor wheels. 

I had a 265 trophy+ that had the bixenon cornering lights. They were amazing. If you want that and the RS Monitor 2.0 then get into an RB8. It also has the Recaro sportster CS seats. Otherwise change the bulbs on the post facelift model as previously suggested. 

On another note, post up the ad for anything you're looking at and we can let you know what it is - so many are given the wrong designation in carsales etc. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So seems the main difference between the Premium version and non Premium versions is the Reverse camera and the bigger wheels and better mags on the Premium, not sure what else is different. But because it looks hard to see out of the back window, the reverse camera is appealing.

How hard is it to install the better headlights in the facelift version as thats the only plus to me over the non facelift version? And is there a way to to check if the car has been Tracked before I buy one ?  I dont want to buy one thats been tracked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Headlights don't interchange, and the bi-xexons are self leveling anyway (by law), which means you wouldn't have the sensors and computer in place.

You would expect that a car like a RS Megane has been tracked. My model is an '8:08' - it's sold based on the fact that it did 8mins 8 secs around the Nurburgring in Germany. These cars are built to take to the track. Be scared of someone who has just driven the car to the train station, not someone who took it to the track to try it out. But yes - I see where you're coming from - I would be scared of an MPS on the track as well !

Cheers

Justin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jberth1 said:

Headlights don't interchange, and the bi-xexons are self leveling anyway (by law), which means you wouldn't have the sensors and computer in place.

You would expect that a car like a RS Megane has been tracked. My model is an '8:08' - it's sold based on the fact that it did 8mins 8 secs around the Nurburgring in Germany. These cars are built to take to the track. Be scared of someone who has just driven the car to the train station, not someone who took it to the track to try it out. But yes - I see where you're coming from - I would be scared of an MPS on the track as well !

Cheers

Justin

I dont think everyone who buys these cars need to tack it to the track. I think you could still have fun driving it spiritedly around couldnt you ? Otherwise maybe this car isn't for me then, as taking it to the track doesn't interest me at all. I just want a fast, nice looking daily driver. 

Im not sure why a company would make a car suited more for the track then for the normal roads, they just wouldn't sell enough of them and couldn't make money. But there are many fast turbo cars where they are good daily drivers and hoping this would be one of them, now not so sure, as so many mention taking it to the track, but I thought that was the Trophy versions and not the Cups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/06/2021 at 3:53 PM, AussieGuy said:

Wow, thats stupid hey haha. I liked the HIDs in my MPS, but the facelift version seems so much better in other ways then the non facelift version.

Personal choice, but I won't ever buy a car without HIDs or LEDs ever again (well, maybe I'll make an exception if I can afford an old Ferrari one day or something...). I'll never understand why Renault took them out, considering they were standard in my 2002 Clio and 2006 Megane.

23 minutes ago, AussieGuy said:

I dont think everyone who buys these cars need to tack it to the track. I think you could still have fun driving it spiritedly around couldnt you ? Otherwise maybe this car isn't for me then, as taking it to the track doesn't interest me at all. I just want a fast, nice looking daily driver. 

You don't have to take it to track. But of course, please don't do anything stupid on public roads! When buying a used performance car, it's usually a good idea to get a feeling for what the seller is like, i.e. whether they are telling porky pies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The references to track days, IMHO, is a testament to the build quality of these vehicles. I think I was a bit disappointed to hear my Clio had never been tracked (sadly years later still hasn't been!) because if something's going to break it's going to break on track. But it still obviously needs to be cared for, and generally it seems the people who buy these cars, if they track them, will take care of them (changing brake fluid before and after a track day, changing the oil and filter the same, and servicing much more frequently than the minimum required changes). There are also unwritten rules of warranty in there too. If a car is advertised as track developed, or pictures of it on the track are in ads then unless it's competitive racing warranty should cover track work. Hyundai have come out and made official what Renault and Ford have said to me when I asked if they'd cover any issues that would arise from driving it on the track. And from what I hear the I30N is a great daily. Hyundai is trying to (successfully) state that they've created a fun, fast, reliable car.

 

Contrast the Megane a Golf R. It is a great car, but way too soft for my liking. I've driven friends' auto and manual models. It's popular for good reason - it's quick, a great daily, and can be taken to the track. I could see myself nodding off at the wheel of one though (probably why it comes with LDW and active cruise control etc). Adjustable suspension probably helps a lot. One friend went from an MPS to a golf R. He didn't like his MPS. I think coming from the MPS and loving your MPS I think you'll be more than happy with the Megane. I think if you went into a Focus RS that would be a bridge too far, and not a great daily, as the adjustable suspension goes from stiff to very stiff. I still love the Focus to bits but it's a bit tiring to drive in some respects and particularly compared to the Megane. 

Edited by chuckovski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I basically just want a nice car to get me from A to B, but along the way sometimes I like to have fun in them without going to crazy and breaking the law and instead of falling asleep driving a normal car, that why I like a turbo with a bit of go. I like to feel the boost  sometimes at take off, or over taking on the freeway, or sometimes on a nice quiet road, like to get up it. Thats why I loved my MPS because I could drive it normally everyday if I wanted, but every now and then I would boost through the gears and it cruised so well and always done it easy.

Maybe the Golf R would be better suited to me, but atm, they arent in my budget, maybe my next car, or maybe by then I could even go for an AMG A45, thats the hot hatch ive always wanted, but I want a new or almost new.

But for the budget I have now, not sure anything is better then the Megane 265/275. The Focus ST 2015/16 is hard to find with low ks and closer to 30k then my budget. The Scirocco R, seems alright, but again pushing up and beyond 30k for nice ones with low ks. Then the Golf GTI, for 25k and below, there are no nice ones above 2014 with low ks and probably not quick enough stock. And I was even considering something like a Mazda 3 SP25 GT and a Hyundai i30 SR 2018, they would be nice as a normal driver, but if I get those urges, these cars won't do it for me I know.

So the Megane 265 seems to have  the looks, speed, good enough features like auto headlights, wipers, key less start, GPS (reverse camera if I can find the Premium) thats an upgrade over my mps in almost every way, more then anything else in my budget I think, its just the HID's I will miss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieGuy said:

Well I basically just want a nice car to get me from A to B, but along the way sometimes I like to have fun in them without going to crazy and breaking the law and instead of falling asleep driving a normal car, that why I like a turbo with a bit of go. I like to feel the boost  sometimes at take off, or over taking on the freeway, or sometimes on a nice quiet road, like to get up it. Thats why I loved my MPS because I could drive it normally everyday if I wanted, but every now and then I would boost through the gears and it cruised so well and always done it easy.

Maybe the Golf R would be better suited to me, but atm, they arent in my budget, maybe my next car, or maybe by then I could even go for an AMG A45, thats the hot hatch ive always wanted, but I want a new or almost new.

But for the budget I have now, not sure anything is better then the Megane 265/275. The Focus ST 2015/16 is hard to find with low ks and closer to 30k then my budget. The Scirocco R, seems alright, but again pushing up and beyond 30k for nice ones with low ks. Then the Golf GTI, for 25k and below, there are no nice ones above 2014 with low ks and probably not quick enough stock. And I was even considering something like a Mazda 3 SP25 GT and a Hyundai i30 SR 2018, they would be nice as a normal driver, but if I get those urges, these cars won't do it for me I know.

So the Megane 265 seems to have  the looks, speed, good enough features like auto headlights, wipers, key less start, GPS (reverse camera if I can find the Premium) thats an upgrade over my mps in almost every way, more then anything else in my budget I think, its just the HID's I will miss.

From what I am reading it appears that you want a car that is mostly comfortable and quick on the straights being more important that handling.

And you are considering the Megane only because it falls within your budget. My opinion is either increase your budget to buy the car you really want I.e Golf R seems to be it or find something in the meantime that can fill the MPS void. 

I had a 275 Trophy before and all I can say is I regret selling it very much. My partner has a BMW 125i F20 (a Golf GTi competitor) and whilst it is quick off the line and very nice to live with on a daily basis, it is not engaging at all compared to the Meg.

If I were you, I’d go for some drives in the Meg 265/275 to help you form some idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AussieGuy said:

Well I basically just want a nice car to get me from A to B, but along the way sometimes I like to have fun in them without going to crazy and breaking the law and instead of falling asleep driving a normal car, that why I like a turbo with a bit of go. I like to feel the boost  sometimes at take off, or over taking on the freeway, or sometimes on a nice quiet road, like to get up it. Thats why I loved my MPS because I could drive it normally everyday if I wanted, but every now and then I would boost through the gears and it cruised so well and always done it easy.

So the Megane 265 seems to have  the looks, speed, good enough features like auto headlights, wipers, key less start, GPS (reverse camera if I can find the Premium) thats an upgrade over my mps in almost every way, more then anything else in my budget I think, its just the HID's I will miss.

Mine's never been on the Track...and never will be.  It's pretty much my 'daily' most of the time.

Also, check the version of 'R-Link' in the car you are looking at buying.  With the right version, Android Auto can be enabled with a little bit of fiddling.
(See the link on this forum)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I still had mine for a few reasons; one would be to take you for a drive and let you have a good go. 

I honestly think you're on the right path. Problem is it'll make every car after, including the ones you mentioned, a bit disappointing. I know I did. 

Have you told us where you live? Someone might be kind enough... 

 

The other option is a Clio IV, unless you're wanting to keep the manual box (which you should!). You are welcome to come for a spin in mine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeepers people, we seem to do such a great job of talking people out of buying these things, what a weird mob we are.....

@AussieGuy go find a couple for sale and have a drive. The first thing you need to decide is if it's too stiff/firm for you to daily. That is 💯 a personal opinion, asking others opinions is no substitute for the reality.

As for the tracking thing, I would say perhaps 10% of the Megane 3's sold here have seen a race track, wouldn't put me off buying the right car, and potentially will have had a more pampered existence than one that's just been a daily commuter, understand the concern though.

So before making the decision to take it off the short list, go an have a steer and make up your own mind from the drivers seat, you'll know quickly one way or the other. At least your not asking about sunglass or cup holders, so there's hope for you......😁

Edited by Matt205
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive decided to look for something else now as a few things about the car has put me off and im impatient and pretty particular in what I want and there is really nothing that ticks all my boxes in these cars. Things like door handles snapping (makes it sound like Renault skimped on a few things and seems cheap) non HID headlights (in the model I want) and everyone keeps talking about how good of a track car this is, but I just want a nice quick comfortable daily driver.

Im looking at a Ford Focus ST now, seems more suited to a daily driver (doesnt look as good) but seems better overall for what I want

Edited by AussieGuy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieGuy said:

Ive decided to look for something else now as a few things about the car has put me off and im impatient and pretty particular in what I want and there is really nothing that ticks all my boxes in these cars. Things like door handles snapping (makes it sound like Renault skimped on a few things and seems cheap) non HID headlights (in the model I want) and everyone keeps talking about how good of a track car this is, but I just want a nice quick comfortable daily driver.

Im looking at a Ford Focus ST now, seems more suited to a daily driver (doesnt look as good) but seems better overall for what I want

Fair enough! But be warned, many ST owners complain about the lack of LSD, and when two of them drove mine on the track they regretted not buying the Meg. If you can get your hands on one that has an after market LSD you might be on to a good thing. 

If you get a later model the sync head unit is pretty good. 

The ST hero colours are pretty good, the yellow almost as good as the Renault liquid yellow. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Fair enough! But be warned, many ST owners complain about the lack of LSD, and when two of them drove mine on the track they regretted not buying the Meg. If you can get your hands on one that has an after market LSD you might be on to a good thing. 

If you get a later model the sync head unit is pretty good. 

The ST hero colours are pretty good, the yellow almost as good as the Renault liquid yellow. 

Yeah the Megane just seems to focused on the track and not enough as a daily driver for me. Im also looking at the Astra VXR (its easier to find a nice one then the Megane is) but I know parts will be hard to get for it as well. So even though the Focus is the less attractive one, it would probably be best suited as a daily and cheaper to run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieGuy said:

Yeah the Megane just seems to focused on the track and not enough as a daily driver for me. Im also looking at the Astra VXR (its easier to find a nice one then the Megane is) but I know parts will be hard to get for it as well. So even though the Focus is the less attractive one, it would probably be best suited as a daily and cheaper to run.

The VXR is the rarest of them all and really stands out. I do like them a lot, but you have to like buttons to like the interior! Almost the opposite (not necessarily a bad thing) to the new golf!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/06/2021 at 6:15 PM, AussieGuy said:

Yeah the Megane just seems to focused on the track and not enough as a daily driver for me. Im also looking at the Astra VXR (its easier to find a nice one then the Megane is) but I know parts will be hard to get for it as well. So even though the Focus is the less attractive one, it would probably be best suited as a daily and cheaper to run.

My 8:08 Trophy is my 'daily' (what a lame way of naming your only car). Astra VXR is for people who don't care about driving, let alone going around corners. Parts ? who needs parts. We did this before - go to Supercheap for your engine oil - what other parts do you need ? Focus will cost you a bomb in smoked tyres without the (expensive) mechanical LSD of the Megane.

I've had 2 RS Megane's, and will trade to an RS300 when prices are right. No other car does it like a Megane.

Cheers

Justin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jberth1 said:

My 8:08 Trophy is my 'daily' (what a lame way of naming your only car). Astra VXR is for people who don't care about driving, let alone going around corners. Parts ? who needs parts. We did this before - go to Supercheap for your engine oil - what other parts do you need ? Focus will cost you a bomb in smoked tyres without the (expensive) mechanical LSD of the Megane.

I've had 2 RS Megane's, and will trade to an RS300 when prices are right. No other car does it like a Megane.

Cheers

Justin

Never driven a VXR but the reviews at the time were quite complimentary, basically it being a heavier Megane. It also has an LSD doesn't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chuckovski said:

Never driven a VXR but the reviews at the time were quite complimentary, basically it being a heavier Megane. It also has an LSD doesn't it?

It does. Compared quite favourably to the Meg, even won a few comparisons. I suggested it because it’s competent but not as hard core as a Meg 3. Also has a very opulent interior (once you get past the button fest).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daily my RS250. It's perfect. The suspension is fine and really works to your favour. I think every car should have the handling these cars do. 

I was down in Denmark recently and there's a couple of sharp corners that have 45km caution signs on them and I didn't have to slow down. Kept the 80km speed limit all the way through. The handling is sublime. I would find it hard to go back to an average car now. These cars can lap nearly as good as superbikes around the ring and when you go into the corners you can see why. 

 

Most people think it's all about HP however these cars are killers through the corners. And they aren't that bad in a straight really. I think I surprised a ford mustang owner the other night. 

Go for a drive and then come back here. Stop pretending on the other side of the screen and judge by other people. Life is for living and unless you try it you have no idea

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...