Hey hey!

Caledwvech

Hey Guys,

Bought our Megane RS265 Red Bull edition earlier this year in Sydney and brought it down to it's new home in Tasmania. Loving the car. I do have a couple of questions though.

Given the less than ideal cup holder situation in the car, does anyone have any good ideas for what to do? I have looked into those things you slide next to the seat and centre console, but given the bucket seats (different shape) and not a whole lot of space there I am not convinced that they will work.

A minor thing, but I was under the impression that the exhaust was supposed to crack and pop a little bit. I have never been able to get it to do this. Even in Sport mode with the throttle map all the way to sensitive it doesn't do it.

Also, does anyone know of a good Mechanic to take my baby to, or is the Renault dealer in Launceston pretty good? Live in North West Tassie (Devonport) so would need to be in either Devonport, Burnie or Launceston.

Thanks guys!

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

• Like 2

You mean this problem?

I solved it by downsizing my regular coffee order from Grande to Tall.

Want a soft drink?  It's cans or nothing.  Plastic bottles won't fit.

If you are desperate for a taller drink, the Clio has a single cupholder at the rear of the centre console intended for the rear seat passengers.  It takes a bit of contortion with the left arm and shoulder but it's do-able.  The Meg may not have this?

I sure wouldn't trade the Renault for a Hyundai just to get a better cupholder though ;-)

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.58.10 pm.png

• Haha 2

Welcome mate and get used to French quirks with owning a Megane. You don't have time to drink coffee when your bouncing from corner to corner at quicker then usual pace 🏁

As Dave said get the centre resonator chopped out and replaced with a straight piece of stainless pipe. For the best sound get a Magnaflow sports muffler to replace the huge chunk Renault fit at the rear. You will thank me later.

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.986bfe2e9d6563d9f8ef48cceaeadb13.JPGIMG_0638.thumb.JPG.bda7dbf39fb65126117cdc8e536ce426.JPGIMG_0636.thumb.JPG.43b1475eb837e2eff715bd9b1d9ccbea.JPG

• Thanks 1

Can't help with the cup holder situation, proper coffee only comes in one size anyway, anything that you have to choose a size should be avoided.....

Res delete will sort the pops and crackles, be careful changing mufflers, easy to making overly loud and boomy, a very personal choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Megs with the non-GPS got an extra cupholder where your menu buttons are but its really shallow and i dont really trust it holding a coffee cup.
You can bring the centre seat down which has cup holders too.

yep change out the centre res for straight pipe, any exhaust shop could do it for you

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Can't help with the cup holder situation, proper coffee only comes in one size anyway, anything that you have to choose a size should be avoided.....

Res delete will sort the pops and crackles, be careful changing mufflers, easy to making overly loud and boomy, a very personal choice.

Haha Brillant :) 

Agreed if you want a milk shake buy a milkshake. Smaller the cup the better the Coffee. Less is more!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rod said:

I like it! Was keen for something like this. Have a similar cup holder arrangement in my Alfa which sits nicely in the centre console area. Really solid. Doesn’t move and carries x2 cups. Looks nicely integrated as well. 

Is yours solid? No movement at all? Would you mind taking a photo of it in your car. I’m surprised actually as the gap between the centre console and seat is quite large compared to a lot of cars. Thumbs up for this. The black with red stitching is not bad.  

Edited by blueblood1995

Thanks heaps for all the replies guys.

Will look into the muffler / resonator. Dont want it crazy loud or anything. I think my wife would kill me as "officially" it's her car. Just a little noise to have a bit of fun with. :) Loving the quirks. Means she's got personality.

As for the cup holders, those options look really good. Just curious to know how they work with the big bolsters on the Megane RS. At only $13, definitely worth it to give it a try. :)

1 hour ago, Caledwvech said:

Thanks heaps for all the replies guys.

Will look into the muffler / resonator. Dont want it crazy loud or anything. I think my wife would kill me as "officially" it's her car. Just a little noise to have a bit of fun with. :) Loving the quirks. Means she's got personality.

As for the cup holders, those options look really good. Just curious to know how they work with the big bolsters on the Megane RS. At only $13, definitely worth it to give it a try. :)

Just the resonator delete won't make it much louder at cruise, a bit meatier tone but no drone AFAIK. WOT and then backing off will result in pops and bangs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave200 said:

Just the resonator delete won't make it much louder at cruise, a bit meatier tone but no drone AFAIK. WOT and then backing off will result in pops and bangs

The Trophee is the wife's car as well and she loves the subtle exhaust noise of the cut and tuck. We used to regularly drive the 8 hours from Melbourne to Parkes and there's no droning or annoying boom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave200 said:

Does removing the resonator make the car unroadworthy? I'm assuming not but I had my DPF removed on my Alfa 159 SW and tune to give it a bit more pep but I need to put the DPF back if I ever sell it.

2 hours ago, blueblood1995 said:

Does removing the resonator make the car unroadworthy? I'm assuming not but I had my DPF removed on my Alfa 159 SW and tune to give it a bit more pep but I need to put the DPF back if I ever sell it.

No, its not an emissions device. It is for tuning out unwanted exhaust noise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 06/07/2020 at 3:12 PM, HomerRS said:

Welcome mate and get used to French quirks with owning a Megane. You don't have time to drink coffee when your bouncing from corner to corner at quicker then usual pace 🏁

As Dave said get the centre resonator chopped out and replaced with a straight piece of stainless pipe. For the best sound get a Magnaflow sports muffler to replace the huge chunk Renault fit at the rear. You will thank me later.

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.986bfe2e9d6563d9f8ef48cceaeadb13.JPGIMG_0638.thumb.JPG.bda7dbf39fb65126117cdc8e536ce426.JPGIMG_0636.thumb.JPG.43b1475eb837e2eff715bd9b1d9ccbea.JPG

This looks like a good setup as an alternative to a full exhaust replacement. How loud is it and is it droney at all?