First Rs Ownership

No152

Hi All,

I picked up my first ever Renault this week.  Pearl white RS275 R (build number 152 of 250).  Probably an unusual way to experience an introduction to Renault I guess, but that's how it is.  

I have not been completely hidden from the Renault RS experience as my partner last year decided she needed a change of vehicles and became the proud owner of a Clio RS200 Cup trophy (Liquid yellow of course). What a fun thing that is - she has already contributed her fare share to the Policeman's Ball since owning it...  At least her licence is a little lighter without so many points!

We looked at the RS Megane a that time (the RS265 was the top spec available "way" back then), but as she cannot drive a manual, that was crossed off the list.  Off her list at least...

Needless to say her Clio opened my eyes to a whole new world of motoring fun, but for me it had to be a manual (too old school for my own good maybe...) so I waited semi patiently to get details on the forthcoming "R".  Pleasantly, Renault have appeared to really make a fist of the "R" as a true limited edition, track focused special, which ticked enough "impracticality" boxes to differentiate it from the Clio, and approval to proceed was forthcoming.  (If anyone needs tips on how to negotiate two RS vehicles into the family, talk to me....)

And so it was that the "R" found a home in my garage :)

Daily driver is a Turbo diesel 4WD from the brand we cannot mention (starting with a "T"), so the new toy is a welcome change for sure. No more being dragged off at the lights by elderly folks with walking frames...

Anyway, having owned and driven over the years pretty much everything that mere mortals can aspire to from the occasional Evo and even a 928S4 at one point there, and toyed with ridiculously fast clubman cars, the blend of performance while retaining some semblance of comfort (not too much, but it's all relative - did I mention clubman cars...?), in a new vehicle off the showroom floor, the R275 R was hard for me to ignore.

I thought I would join this forum and say "hi" to everyone, and tell a little of the story of how one more RS has found a home in Oz.

The group on this forum seems a pretty friendly bunch (which is great), so wave if you see me out and about in Bris.  Look forward to seeing the local crew at an event in SE Qld sometime.

Bye for now

• Like 7

Congrats and welcome mate! Pics wen she lands, please 8)

Welcome and great first choice. I saw Ace's 275R the other weekend down here in Sydney and it definitely has presence (and performance).

You'll find a wealth of info on here for both cars and it's great to have another QLDer join up as there aren't too many members driving around up there (who wave back when you do).

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I look forward to meeting some of you in future at events and being involved in the forum.  Also looking forward to many awesome km's in the new toy.   Yes it has presence in spades, and performance to match. Very happy... Pictures soon!

Cheers

Jason

Welcome. I was as excited and full of trepidation when I purchased my first RS Clio back in late 06'. It's all been great from there, and that is 3 Renaultsports later! Great cars, congrats.

Edited by Danny

Hi Danny,

Yes always a little trepidation to step into the unknown, especially when it is clearly a decision of the heart not the head.    Otherwise we would all be driving beige Camrys....  Hahaha I have great hopes!

Cheers and thanks

Congrats on the new steed! I'm sure you will getting oodles of enjoyment from it. I'm onto RS #3 now, and all of them have been great :)

Yeah, I've never really understood buying a car with your head (unless it's purely for business). For something that costs so much, and that you spend so much time in, you really need to like it IMO...

I reckon there's a new discussion topic right there!  Pretty sure most on this forum are "heart" shoppers...   :wink:

Hi Jason

Welcome and nice choice, let us know when you are ready to go for a drive and catch up so I can see your car in the flesh.  I purchased a 265 RS Trophy approx. 7 month ago and have been very happy with the car.

Regards Jason A

Hi Jason

Welcome and nice choice, let us know when you are ready to go for a drive and catch up so I can see your car in the flesh.  I purchased a 265 RS Trophy approx. 7 month ago and have been very happy with the car.

Regards Jason A

Hi Jason,

I saw the pic of your car in another post.   Added a reply.  Very nice car - great colour choice!  A drive and catch up sounds like a plan.  Am still awaiting plates to attach to mine (maybe a drive before that is a better idea even hahaha...) but happy to compare notes on our two steeds.  Maybe PM me to arrange?

Cheers

Thanks Anthony (twin),

Yes pretty happy.  More whites than any other colour as I understand, but still a pretty exclusive vehicle all the same.  I like it for sure - was my preferred colour (although that black and red is tre cool!!! - just not so good up this way).  Yet to see another "R" on the road around here, but I'm sure that will change - especially if there is a group run sometime...

The "careful" running in period should be called the "painful" running in period...  So hard to be gentle on the throttle when the devil inside is screaming at you! :twisted:

I am awaiting the arrival of the plates (slimline) and the fitting kit for them from Lakin in Tassie (great workmanship on the brackets they do - nice finishing touch I think instead of a couple of dodgy self tappers through the number plate into exactly the post where it shouldn't be...) and then will be complete.  Apart from the paint treatment which is being done next week too - getting the opti-coat pro system after much research on the stuff.

Did you install all the accessory pack to yours (sorry if off thread as I know there is another thread pretty much devoted to this specific topic...)?  I have installed the brakes (naturally - how could you not) and am toying with the harnesses and battery.  Other alternative is to have these for the track days only as not a huge deal I think to fit before a track day.  I imagine el Plod will not miss these cars on the road, and could want to ask awkward questions...  If not fitted, cannot be asking the questions.  Plus I lowered the seat to the middle position (perfect for me at 6'1").

I have harnesses in the clubman, and no issues with that on the road to date, but it is so different from anything else around typically that most folks are so busy looking at the car (wondering what it is) they tend to overlook the harnesses.  May not be case with a car that actually looks like a car though...

I will post some pics (pretty much like all the other pics of the same car I guess..  lol) but maybe with some interesting scenery to differentiate, and provide an impression of the drive after some more familiarity with it.

Enjoy your drive - hot laps of the Great Ocean Road maybe...  Enjoy!  :wink:

Cheers

• Like 1

Very strange; different states but a similar approach to each car. Having to reign in the temptation during the run in period was hard! I will be using Lakin plate frames as well (mentioned Lakin on another thread can't remember where :blush:) I have yet to decide on which type of plate to fit, therefore my standard plates were taped on so no unnecessary holes :angry:

My car went in for Opti-Coat Pro+; on Thursday and the pics were taken after I left it in his most capable hands; back soon can't wait: https://www.facebook.com/DansGarageDetailing

I have had all the relevant parts in the kit fitted. I think it has been mentioned Renault only offer the warranty on those parts if they are fitted by a qualified Renault technician; was outlined in the disclaimer document for Renault Australia. The installation for all was done at the same time and I was happier that Renault Service were undertaking the installation.

Ah yes the Great Ocean Road . . . .when time permits. Yes, have fun! :biggrin:

Edited by AnthB
  • Like 1

Hi AnthB,

Great photos!  I smiled as definitely a similar approach.  I was a little uncertain if the "permanent" Opti Coat idea was a good one, but decided it is the best possible formula, so decided to go ahead.  Mine is done early next week.  Hopefully the Lakin brackets and rego plates will also turn up at about the same time.  I am planning to get away late next week (Friday and Saturday) for a run-in drive (posted a topic elsewhere just now if anyone else wants to join in) over some really great twisty roads through the mountains in the border districts.  That won't be hard to resist at all to run it in...  he says with a liberal dose of wishful thinking...

How do you find having both the harnesses and raod legal belts in the car at the same time?  I am thinking that maybe I will install the harnesses for track days and take them out again for the normal driving.  Two minds, but would be happy to get your feedback.  Wondering if they slide around and rattle etc.. even if tucked away in normal driving?  Was bad enough for me taking the car home with the accessory pack box sliding about in the back.  And that was a grandma run I tell you...

Enjoy your marvellous car!  :hyper:  :D

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

I reckon if you're going to be introduced to a new breed go in guns blazing. You definately did that mate and congratulations. Would be a very nice garage with the Clio CT parked beside the 275R :headbang:

Hi MM,

No prizes for half measures they say...  hahaha   :guns:

Now if Renault can just do a 4WD RS version of the Koleos or the Trafic maybe the Prado can be changed as well...  Need something to tow the jetski.  

Has anyone put a towbar on their Trophy R yet...?  :sicko:  

• Like 1

>Hi MM,

>

>No prizes for half measures they say...  hahaha   :guns:

>

>Now if Renault can just do a 4WD RS version of the Koleos or the Trafic maybe the

> Prado can be changed as well...  Need something to tow the jetski.  

I wouldn't wait for RenaultSport to do it. You might be waiting for a long time.

Upgrading a Koleos ?? - that will need a nissan SR20 (Nismo?) series motor.

It's the same engine as the X-Trail. It will support the full range of Nissan SR20 engines going from 135 - 206Kw with SR20VET(the brave and foolish need only apply :headbang: ). More even with tweaks.

>Hi MM,

>

>No prizes for half measures they say...  hahaha   :guns:

>

>Now if Renault can just do a 4WD RS version of the Koleos or the Trafic maybe the

> Prado can be changed as well...  Need something to tow the jetski.  

I wouldn't wait for RenaultSport to do it. You might be waiting for a long time.

Upgrading a Koleos ?? - that will need a nissan SR20 (Nismo?) series motor.

It's the same engine as the X-Trail. It will support the full range of Nissan SR20 engines going from 135 - 206Kw with SR20VET(the brave and foolish need only apply :headbang: ). More even with tweaks.

Going way off topic here perhaps, but that is interesting to know.  Drift boys can get over 600HP from an SR20 DET..  Pull the doors off the Koleos.  Not to mention do wonders for the warranty!  :mrgreen:

Hi Jason (No152),

Yes I was most pleased with the result of the detail and Opti-Coat Pro+; collected my car this afternoon. The skill of the operator, Dan's Garage Detailing here in Melbourne and which other members have utilized is absolutely first class. The car's appearance is a marked improvement over the condition presented at handover; which was very good in itself. I am most pleased :biggrin:

I find having both belt systems installed concurrently as not too much of an issue. The shoulder belts get looped over the back, but occasionally knock against the shell. The lap belts are mostly out of the way so no issue. Mind not sitting on the hefty buckle, could be mostly uncomfortable :ohmy: I have pushed the shoulder belts back through the harness holes, to see if it was at all possible but a pain. Since the Salbelts are bolt in; removing and refitting for track work alone might be a PITA; the lap belts being bolted to the actual seat frame, crotch belts are also difficult. Other members have lamented that the belts weren't on the spring loaded clip variety. I am yet to adjust the belts so they fit my form in the way the factory instructions indicate. The buckle doesn't seem to be much of a problem, yet. This car isn't used often. Just fit the lot & go with it.

If you own a GoPro (i don't) attach it for your drive day with the rest of the crew; would like to see.

+1 on that accessory box!

All the best.

Edited by AnthB
  • Like 1

Hi AnthB

Great feedback.  Glad you had success with the Opti Cote.  I hold out great hope too.  Have researched places to do it here is Bris and think I may have found the right guy (fingers crossed - will give feedback after it's done) but good reviews.  When I spoke with him he sounds pretty fastidious - just what you want in your clear coat applicator!  :wink:

Appreciate your thoughts on the belts.  Reckon I will put them on too (at the dealers).  As you say, probably too much hassle to do each time a track day looms, and of course they should be visible all the time anyway - visual thing!   :mrgreen:

I don't have a GoPro, but may need to be on the shopping list.  That bar across the car looks tailor made to attach one....  Will see if I can get one before my sneaky get away next week..  Thanks again for the feedback, enjoy that super shiny. better than from the showroom beast!

Appreciate your thoughts on the belts.  Reckon I will put them on too (at the dealers).  As you say, probably too much hassle to do each time a track day looms, and of course they should be visible all the time anyway - visual thing!   :mrgreen:

I don't have a GoPro, but may need to be on the shopping list.  That bar across the car looks tailor made to attach one....  Will see if I can get one before my sneaky get away next week..  Thanks again for the feedback, enjoy that super shiny. better than from the showroom beast!

The buckle just tends to lay quietly between the legs and hasn't tried to rearrange anything yet :blink:. I have taken length out of the adjustment of the crotch belts, although not finalised according to the Salbelt booklet. Installed by Renault Service, it was fully extended, & hanging over the knee cushion knocking back and forth on the adjustment bar; annoying.

Good idea re: GoPro interior placement; many cars tend to use part of the installed roll cage for camera placement don't they? Of course it would be of assistance if there WAS a cage present :laugh:

The buckle just tends to lay quietly between the legs and hasn't tried to rearrange anything yet :blink:. I have taken length out of the adjustment of the crotch belts, although not finalised according to the Salbelt booklet. Installed by Renault Service, it was fully extended, & hanging over the knee cushion knocking back and forth on the adjustment bar; annoying.

Good idea re: GoPro interior placement; many cars tend to use part of the installed roll cage for camera placement don't they? Of course it would be of assistance if there WAS a cage present :laugh:

Guess the RS gods need to leave something more than colour choice and decals for the next LE model... :44:

A quick update.  Had the Opti Coat and Opti Guard applied today.  In a word - amazing!  I could not believe how much better than "off the show room" it looks.  Can thoroughly recommend the products that they do look as they are described on the website.  Before and after a sight to see as you can literally see the gloss enhance as the product is applied and finished.  Not too good if you have stealth finish paint, but for those of us that still like paint to be glossy, this is a hoot!

If you are based in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, give Superfresh Detailing a try.  Great job.  The business owner Jason took his time, and is very thorough.  He is an avid car lover and really appreciates the attention to detail that car lovers desire.  Truly a perfect job (and a very nice fellow to talk to as well - really knows his stuff).

He even took the wheels off and did the inside of the wheels and also the calipers!!  Light lenses and all glass and mirrors got treated too.  I had the full inside and out done, I was initially concerned about the alcantera how it would go, but no issues at all.  Even makes the red of the stitching more defined against the black leather of the seats.  real nice...

Time will tell about how it goes in the long term, but if the long term is as true to word as the initial impression is to the descriptions in the literature, then hopes are high.  :D  

Will post some photos when I learn how  :oops:  

Now to put that GoPro onto the cross bar... :P

• Like 2

Its great that you are pleased with the outcome; know I was. Though my detailer couldn't coat the wheel barrels unless supplied to him off the car. I wasn't too fussed about that and the faces of the wheels were coated which is most important.

He doesn't treat interiors but recommended some products I could use if I could be bothered, but in his words it wasn't that important unless you have messy children or you're the type who likes to have full-on food fights inside your car :tongue:

I was quoted that the coating should last about 3-4 years if probably cared for and garaged. He recommended to me that using a quality wax &/or detailer such as these products will enhance & prolong the Opti-Coat Pro+ http://optimumcarcare.com.au/optimum-instant-detailer-gloss-enhancer-56?options=cart & a good quality spray wax http://optimumcarcare.com.au/optimum-car-wax-75?options=cart. I tried both prior the the Opti-Coat Pro+ and like both products but used to much as it was my first time :blush:. Waiting for your pics!

• Like 1

Its great that you are pleased with the outcome; know I was. Though my detailer couldn't coat the wheel barrels unless supplied to him off the car. I wasn't too fussed about that and the faces of the wheels were coated which is most important.

He doesn't treat interiors but recommended some products I could use if I could be bothered, but in his words it wasn't that important unless you have messy children or you're the type who likes to have full-on food fights inside your car :tongue:

I was quoted that the coating should last about 3-4 years if probably cared for and garaged. He recommended to me that using a quality wax &/or detailer such as these products will enhance & prolong the Opti-Coat Pro+ http://optimumcarcare.com.au/optimum-instant-detailer-gloss-enhancer-56?options=cart & a good quality spray wax http://optimumcarcare.com.au/optimum-car-wax-75?options=cart. I tried both prior the the Opti-Coat Pro+ and like both products but used to much as it was my first time :blush:. Waiting for your pics!

I was able to get mine all done at home because it was essential to have access to washing facilities plus a garage to keep it overnight (at least) to cure.  Worked out well.  Turns out the internal products are also from the same supplier (Optimum) but slightly different compounds - all arrive in their own separate syringe dispensers and applied using applicator pads and buffed off with microfibre cloths.  Interesting to watch the process unfold.  Really good to see the difference between the bits finished and those yet to be completed.  dramatic transformation!  Will post pics when I work out how to.  Still a bit of a mystery...  :(  

Hopefully I have the photo posting thing sorted now, so here goes...

Soapy bath prior to application of the Opti Coat treatment.  Who doesn't like a nice bath... :roll:

post-20669-0-37950800-1429097036_thumb.jpg

Once the cleaning was finished (inside and out), it was into the garage for the treatment process.  It was hard to imagine at this point it could look shinier...

post-20669-0-71724400-1429097328_thumb.jpg

Wheels were taken off to treat the inside of the wheels and the calipers.

post-20669-0-56333000-1429097516_thumb.jpg

Had a good look in the front wheel arch.    Surface tarnish on the disks from the washing proves there is still cast iron in the disks..   :D

post-20669-0-38919100-1429098184_thumb.jpg

Tasty Ohlins suspension and plastic springs...

post-20669-0-45329800-1429098576_thumb.jpg

It's hard to see in the photos the difference before and after, but once all was done, it really shone!! Very happy  :hyper:

post-20669-0-92797900-1429098853_thumb.jpg

Even the decals on the side are shinier...

post-20669-0-99779300-1429098915_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the plates to arrive and the fitting kit from Lakin and it will be done!!!  I took some inside shots but they didn't look very good quality - same as the other Trophy R photos from others.  Thought I would spare you the lack of photography skills on my part...

Run in drive Friday looking good....

You appear to have sorted the pic posting thing out! The car looks great; and decidedly familiar. I believe the front end looks great without any plate. Mine was minus plates in https://www.facebook.com/DansGarageDetailing as they were just double sided taped on so I thought he might as well Opti-Coat that as well. I know you are in sunny Queensland and has no real relevance to myself, but what type of Q plate did you choose for your car; just out of curiosity?

You appear to have sorted the pic posting thing out! The car looks great; and decidedly familiar. I believe the front end looks great without any plate. Mine was minus plates in https://www.facebook.com/DansGarageDetailing as they were just double sided taped on so I thought he might as well Opti-Coat that as well. I know you are in sunny Queensland and has no real relevance to myself, but what type of Q plate did you choose for your car; just out of curiosity?

I decided on the new ones released up here that have a number followed by three letters and another number.  Got the red letters on the white background (which is a pearl white too - looks good).  Got the plate 8 CYA 8...  Will post some pictures once the fitting kit and plates arrive.

I agree it would be great to not have to have front plates as the front end is perfect without them.  Speed cameras obviously wouldn't agree...

Ok sounds good Jason. Enjoy the drive day! :smile2: Ah yes, speed cameras; another whole topic to annoy & frustrate most

Especially in Victoria.  Thankfully Queensland haven't yet discovered the inherent "road safety" benefit of booking everyone doing 1km per hour over the limit...

Haven't they? Surprising; thought everyone was in on that game! Cynical me.

I guess if the economy gets bad enough they will "road safety" the budget back into the black.... :furious:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update.  My Lakin plate kit arrived last night so I have been able to install the plates finally.  Not a big issue for most perhaps, but has anyone in Queensland (probably the same in other states I am guessing) noticed the rear number plate space on Megane RS III models is just a few mm too narrow to install the plate flush, and instead it is usually screwed into the bumper at the top (not where the pilot marks are provided) and then sits rubbing forever against the lip of the bumper below.

As a result, I opted for the slimline plates front and rear, and sourced the Lakin fitting kit to get is all working a treat.  If anyone has considered the Lakin fitting kit but has not seen one, I have provided some photos as I installed mine.  I have to say the finish on the fitting kit is remarkable.  Perfect machining, and the gloss black powder coat is the best I have ever seen.

Here we go...

post-20669-0-64768700-1429569961_thumb.jpg

Even the packaging is artful...  Precision work from top to bottom!

post-20669-0-58965100-1429570034_thumb.jpg

Here's what you get - including the clear covers to suit.

post-20669-0-72859700-1429570115_thumb.jpg

The business end of things - the brackets are machined with countersunk holes precisely matching the factor attachment points.  No holes where they should not be.  The brackets have captive nuts to attach the plates (no need to drill holes in your plates), have little rubber bump stops at strategic locations to support the bracket off the bumper, plus a couple of industrial strength double sided tape spots to help support the bracket to give four points of support.  Little nylon spacers for each attachment screw (screws are even specially designed for plastic) help keep the whole thing even.  The brackets even have a curve to follow exactly the shape of the car. Nice...

post-20669-0-31783500-1429570183_thumb.jpg

Hold your breath.....

post-20669-0-53869300-1429570474_thumb.jpg

The bracket attached before the plate and cover installed, so you can see how it makes the perfect support for the plate.

post-20669-0-51812600-1429570520_thumb.jpg

And the completed rear end.  Perfect!

post-20669-0-88906300-1429570611_thumb.jpg

And the front

post-20669-0-43331900-1429570656_thumb.jpg

All in all I am very happy with the result.  Sorry about so many photos for such a simple thing, but it's possible others like me had no knowledge of the Lakin brackets, and may find this useful.   :)

• Like 1

Look great....only downside is that they are $200 a set for the Clio RS..... :44:

Look great....only downside is that they are $200 a set for the Clio RS..... :44:

Yes, not bargain basement price, but impeccable quality and, for me, solved a couple of issues associated with mounting the plates that I was unhappy with. 

Perfect solution! looks great Jason. His work is indeed impeccable; as evident on his site. I was told that Phillip will even travel around his home state to find the car in question to take measurements from for custom frames; if your car isn't already on file. :smile2:

Hi AnthB,

Yes Phillip is great to deal with.  Spends the time to understand what is needed, suggests solutions, and then delivers what he promises.  Can't ask for more than that!

Wish I knew about him years ago!  I am getting a custom plate bracket made for another vehicle too which we have worked through all the measurements of.  A great solution I think considering the very high standard of the finished item.  Looks truly factory standard finish and worthy accompaniments for  our French beauties.  :D

Wish I had known previously as my now ex - RSC Ph 3 200 had multiple holes drilled unceremoniously into it's bumpers. Not my problem now, but being slightly obsessive :wink2:, I am concerned about all those holes

Perhaps I should have asked Dr. Google and performed a search!? fixes everything

I agree. Lots of folks probably couldn't care either way but it's great to know there are elegant solutions for those that do. Thumbs up Phillip and Lakin!!!

Hi everyone,

Just found this video.  Kind of sums up the whole RS thing for me.  Even seasoned race drivers can't help but to smile and giggle.  And the sound track...

No need to translate as you can tell what he is saying even if you don't speak French...  I'm pretty sure it is "would you like over steer with that Sir?  It's on the menu and no extra charge..."  :D

Not sure how to post a link, so hope it all works.  Have a look at the leader board at the end.  Some impressive company our little beasts sit along side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugSZhsoqS-I

I've watched the few videos that site has produced more than once, and I like them :smile2: Wish I understood French; all I got was J'Adore re: the Akrapovic. Obviously the reviewers approve and that they chose a damp track for a test session for reasons illustrated!

• 5 months later...