Got a 225 on my shortlist...

digbyj

Hi Remault friends,

I've looked at that much info on here the last few days thought I would say hello.

I will be buying a new car in the near future and am currently looking at my options.

I have a work car as a daily driver but this is not for private use so still need my own wheels for weekend use/occasional childcare pick up etc.

My shortlist is quite bizarre:

- RX-8, late 1st series

- 1st gen RX-7, most likely s3

- Renault Sport Megane 225, phase 2

I previously owned a 1st gen RX-7 years ago and just love them. Naturally a baby and a 7 don't mix but is physically doable! The big advantage here would be club reg, although that may be the only advantage!

The Renault appeals to me as it just seems like a nice all round package, however they do seem to have a few niggles as I have discovered on here and other sites. Naturally all my choices are going to have down falls and to be honest none of them seem like the most reliable option but it won't be a daily, however I don't want a massive money pit.

Anyway that leaves the 8, it will help cure my rotary addiction, can take the baby seat, looks pretty mean etc etc, but does have its own issues. It is currently top of the list but the Meg is very close!

Next will be pay off the Xmas shopping and then take the Meg and the 8 for a test drive and have a chat to a couple of mechanics.

Anyway, keep an eye out for a few questions as my shopping continues.

Happy New Year!

Marcus

Welcome Marcus!

The RX8 does have issues as does the Meg. The Meg will be marginally quicker in a straight line and has a nice turbo punch to boot, but isn't quite the drivers car that the bespoke RX8 is- although some here would argue that point.

Phase 2 225 cup would be my pick. It's the most dynamic of the non-LSD'd Meg 2's, has 4 doors and a leather interior, so it's vomit proof and "that look from the wife for buying a sports car look" proof :) .

Good luck in your test drives and it'll be interesting to see what you end up in! If you do settle on the RX8 then chuck some pics up. They're a very nice car :wink:

What Earl said!

I'd add that the Mk II Meganes have an awesome interior with storage for everything - very practical when you have kids.

Hell yeah its practical!

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419925193.686041.jpg[/attachment]

2 bikes with wheels, 12 Christmas presents, 4 luggage. That's what I got in with the seats folded down recently.

Dare I say you'll use half the fuel in the Meg too. The RX8 is very v8 in its consumption....

If you dont work for Renault Earl I hope you get some kind of royalty out of them!

I presume you mean kids bikes in there?

I drive a Yaris for work and have had my road bike and a Weber bbq in the back.

Yes the big advantage over the 8 is fuel economy but more importantly less prone to requiring an engine rebuild!

Cheers

Never understood the hype around the RX8 frankly, interesting concept with the suicide doors though. Always found it to be a bit of a yawn, decent chassis let down by a noisy, thursty uninspiring buzzy thing in the front. Too heavy maybe? The 350z (yes less practical) was always the better drivers car with a fantastic chassis/motor.

• Like 1

Hell yeah its practical!

Last couple of days have been cabinetry... I've been putting 1800mm x 600mm sheets of melamine and that's only in the 182! Take out the back seats and put a protective sheet down and it's like my mini ute. Even has good tie down points.

• 1 month later...

Well folks I am still stalking this forum. I notice RS cars a lot more on the road than I used to. Saw some of the Vic drive day cars a few weekends back, (I was riding my pushy from Healesville to Wheelers Hill that morning).

I've crossed the RX8 off the list. Wouldn't get what I want for my budget I reckon.

Believe it or not I'm stil torn between an old rotary or a modern RS!

RS gives me safety, reliability, power and all that.

RX7 gives me none of the above but something to tinker with on the weekend, and club reg, and puts a smile on my face. In saying that still yet to drive an RS

Head says RS, heart says RX7.

The time is getting closer when finances will be in order, stay tuned for further updates...

• 3 months later...

Well my finance stars are aligning and it's almost time to start serious shopping. There are not many 225's out there to choose from at the moment so unless something comes up soon I may seriously be looking at an old rotary!

The next few weeks will be interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digbyj, have a drive of a 197/200 Clio 2008 to 2013 X85 model.

Not as quick in a straight line as the others you mentioned but awesome on a twisty road.

PM me if you want a spin. I'm in Melb eastern suburbs.

More info here http://clio3victoria.weebly.com/

Edited by apple3337

Hey apple3337 (if that's your real name), I've never really considered the Clio but not exactly sure why. Again, very little out there to choose from looking on car sales! I'm Melbourne east but Far East. Live Healesville but work Glen Waverley.

Cheers

Bearing in mind, of course, that Clio is either three door only or sequential... No manual five door available. If practicality is a big factor, 225 is the go!

Heehee yeah the rx7 is very practical. I have the strangest taste in cars and reasoning over what would be practical/enjoyable!

I'm not sure about the Clio, I'll mull on it and if I'm interested I'll get back in touch with the apple.

It's 5 door full reg practicality vs rx7 club reg not sure how much I'll drive it weekender.

Clio is a good compromise between both then. 172 and 182 were class leading hot hatches back in the day and the 197/200 were harder-edged again. If you haven't driven one, you should... these things are some of the rawest fun on four wheels! And that screaming N/A engine is just something else.

• Like 1

Had a very straaaaange happening today. Went to test drive an RX7, there was a 225 parked in the driveway. Turns out the guy selling the RX7 is the other person in the works who likes the same 2 types of car as me and had just bought the 225!

Enjoyed the test drive, will get in a 225 next and then decide which way to go...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for closing off ! ???? Nice colour . Red ones are fast ( nearly as fast as liquid yellow )

When bubs needs a bit more space you can get the RS ????

• 3 weeks later...

hi Guys,

I'm still on my hunt on megane 225, and find it hard to get one in 100kms mark.

found this on carsales -  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2006/SSE-AD-3084422/?Cr=1, owner said he changed the engine, that got me question is it a known issue with 225 that you required to re-build the engine once it hit > 100ks?

and if it is the case, should i be looking something lower than 100k?

Probably depends to some extent on use type...  100k on Sundays going to church versus 100k around Wakefield Park will probably make some difference to the overall likelihood of major works at 100k.

It is possible the maintenance was ignored (post above re belts being the biggy).  In which case it could have lunched itself and needed a rebuild as a result of the maintenance (or lack of...) rather than any shortcoming in the mechanical longevity with appropriate servicing applicable to the model and the engineering of the car.

an original well serviced engine is always best as the Renault motors go forever .

as above , maybe the belt change wasn't done and it blew, hence a new engine . that leads to the question of who rebuilt the engine or was it a new factory one fitted and what else did they do and who by?.

there's only great RS mechanics we all know here and duds who shouldn't go beyond oil changing a KIa ....no one in between ... so investigate fully  who did the work and if it was properly done

Very silly question but did you check the "For Sale" thread on this forum?  Has cars listed for sale by members plus ones members have noticed elsewhere for sale by non-members

There's an absolute beauty selling in TAS atm on carsales. Very low k's, looks immaculate (but pricey). I know it's way out of your way, but like you said, they aren't that common...

Otherwise, all I can really advise is to be patient. It can take weeks or months to find the right Renaultsport that has been looked after. A poorly maintained version will probably suffer many (costly) failures and put you off the brand altogether. A well looked after version will be one of the best vehicles you'll probably ever own!

There's an absolute beauty selling in TAS atm on carsales. Very low k's, looks immaculate (but pricey). I know it's way out of your way, but like you said, they aren't that common...

Does look good.  Price is pretty high for a 225, but what a lot of car for the $$ in real terms!!!  And it's a Sport Cup Phase 2, so pretty good spec from the get go.  If it was BO, I would need to be making a trip to the Apple Isle  I suspect....  lol

• Like 1

A poorly maintained version will probably suffer many (costly) failures and put you off the brand altogether.

haha, can vouch for the first part. it has been a long, pricey journey with my baby but I still love her to bits nonetheless. she's getting better with each visit to the Renault Whisperers.

It hasn't put me off the brand, but that would be because I am not new to it. I can see how something like mine would only further instil the frankly undeserved "french cars are bad" reputation on newcomers. You get what you pay for I guess.

The one in TAS (link) looks spot on, priced a little too high in my opinion but worth considering. You will do well going a bit out of your way for a good example for one of these things, it is difficult for me to think of any of its competitors being almost as worthy as itself. There's also a rather nice black 5 door one in Victoria that could be worth a peek for only $11.5k if you perform the same search.

Edited by cloudy

Very silly question but did you check the "For Sale" thread on this forum?  Has cars listed for sale by members plus ones members have noticed elsewhere for sale by non-members

sorry for the silly question but i didn't know there is "for sale" thread in this forum, but will keep an eye on it now. 

thanks for that. 

Otherwise, all I can really advise is to be patient. It can take weeks or months to find the right Renaultsport that has been looked after. A poorly maintained version will probably suffer many (costly) failures and put you off the brand altogether. A well looked after version will be one of the best vehicles you'll probably ever own!

thanks for the suggestion, I did saw that on carsales and you're right is bit far for me to travel there.

but also the car it bit out of my price range, as I budgeted myself around 10k mark. 

I been on market for few months now, I was aiming at type S and megane 225 thought the type S is hard to find but 225 is even more harder. 

used market in Canberra is very limited to get something decent, looks like I got not choice but to travel to interstate to hunt for this beast. 

In between, I haven't test drive this car before because you hardly you can see it pop up in Canberra market, so far I'm drawn into megane 225 is because all the good feedback that I'm reading on this forum and whirlpool. 

Whirlpool?

Please don't go there for advice on RS  :44:

Talk to owners here  :nod:

You might be able to pick up a Clio 3 for 10k if you are patient. Just sayin'... :news: Then there is Clio 2 as well.

I'm with you, so far I only read comments that posted on whirlpool but not seeking advice. 

but for advices i will always come here as you already can tell, been getting so much input re my car search for this.

I think i will stick with megane just because i prefer the look of it than clio.

haha, can vouch for the first part. it has been a long, pricey journey with my baby but I still love her to bits nonetheless. she's getting better with each visit to the Renault Whisperers.

It hasn't put me off the brand, but that would be because I am not new to it. I can see how something like mine would only further instil the frankly undeserved "french cars are bad" reputation on newcomers. You get what you pay for I guess.

The one in TAS (link) looks spot on, priced a little too high in my opinion but worth considering. You will do well going a bit out of your way for a good example for one of these things, it is difficult for me to think of any of its competitors being almost as worthy as itself. There's also a rather nice black 5 door one in Victoria that could be worth a peek for only $11.5k if you perform the same search.

thanks for suggesting the Vic one, i saw on that on carsales too.

that's the phase 2 model, question I know it's an upgrade from phase 1 but is it worthy that extra few grand more when I can get phase 1 for less than 10k.

I'm with you, so far I only read comments that posted on whirlpool but not seeking advice. 

but for advices i will always come here as you already can tell, been getting so much input re my car search for this.

I think i will stick with megane just because i prefer the look of it than clio.

Great choice.  Turbo Meg is awesome.  Get that first (as the heart is set on it it would appear), then come back and get a Clio or two later....   :mrgreen:

And then another Meg....

And then....  :D

Phase 2 if you can get one in budget - better steering set up

+1

Get a Phase 2 Non-Cup if you're on a budget. You can do your own suspension mods later if you want it a bit firmer.

FYI, that black VIC car has been on the market for ages (like six or eight months?), perhaps the owner will budge a bit on the price...

I have yet to come across any real evidence that there is a difference between the steering set-up from phase 1 to phase 2. Some people have claimed an improved feel when going from a phase 1 rack to a phase 2 rack but suggestion can be a powerful thing on the brain as evidenced by placebo's working. What does make the steering better is chassis modifications and set-up. Hence why the Cup chassis steering feels more direct.

I agree with pricey

• Like 1