2012 Megane RS265 Redbull Edition

27AME

Hi All,

New to the forum - picked up my RS265 Redbull (#54) on Saturday 24/01/2012. Done a bit of trawling on here and there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this model! I'm loving it so far.

My first hot hatch was a Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart (1.5T) that I modified to 140fwkW and about 300Nm, which I ran into the ground after 5 years. Got myself into a brand new Audi A1 in Novemeber 2011 but quickly decided I needed more power again! So here I am.

I was tossing up between a Golf GTI, Golf R, WRX and the Megane. The Golf GTI fitted my budget the best, but in the end it was too hard to get my hands on a manual. I then test drove the RS265 Trophy+ and NEVER looked back.

I was in the market for a 265 Cup, which fitted my price point the best, but as soon as I found out about the Redbull I couldn't pass it up. I ended up getting it for the same price as a RS265 Cup which made it excellent value for money. If I had my choice I'd be in a Liquid Yellow 8:08.

My philosophy has always been to run a car in the way you intend to drive it, so the Redbull has been under some pretty intense conditions so far! Already feels a whole heap better and it's only done 300km. Can't wait for it to free up more.

I plan on leaving this car standard and taking it to the track, so the only purchase will be some track rims and slicks. Maybe a half cage from K-Tec if I get the bug bad enough.

I'm on the Gold Coast - hoping there are more around and would be very keen for a drive.

Cheers.

Welcome and congrats!

I like the Redbull. just not the rear diffuser! have yet to see one in the flesh though...

Enjoy!

Hi mate, there's a few of us on here that do the Sprints events at Lakeside and Queensland Raceway. It'd be awesome to see a 265 out there. They start up again next year :)

Congrats on being a clever dude!

Picking the 265 is a no brainer but the RedBull clio is also a very hot drivers car. I wonder if you considered the NA engine version?

Would definitely be keen for the Sprints if I can find a cheap set of rims for track tyres. I used to do the sprints in my Colt with my mate in a S15. My dad owns a 225 as well - might try and get him out there but I don't like my chances!

I didn't really consider the Clio, not because of performance, but mainly because I can't justify spending what they are asking for them (was only a few thousand cheaper than the 265!). I am well aware what they are capable of - my sister even has a standard Clio which is more than capable for what it is. I was really looking for that extra poke as well - I will be keeping this car for the full 4 year term and as we all know, you always want more!

Welcome, I really like the RedBull editions, they stand out and are the first LE Megane III that looks like something special.

Enjoy the car and take some photo's when you can!

welcome mate, i personally didnt like the redbull editions when i first saw pics of it but i went past my dealership to check em out in the flesh and they dont look half bad! certainly screaming for more attention than your typical megIII

like walkie though not a fan of the rear diffuser still.

who cares though when you're driving it around?

Congrats on the purchase!

Would definitely be keen for the Sprints if I can find a cheap set of rims for track tyres. I used to do the sprints in my Colt with my mate in a S15. My dad owns a 225 as well - might try and get him out there but I don't like my chances!

I didn't really consider the Clio, not because of performance, but mainly because I can't justify spending what they are asking for them (was only a few thousand cheaper than the 265!). I am well aware what they are capable of - my sister even has a standard Clio which is more than capable for what it is. I was really looking for that extra poke as well - I will be keeping this car for the full 4 year term and as we all know, you always want more!

Really?? I thought the Meg was at least $8k dearer?

hmm i suspect it would be possible.

the cup is what.. 43k? or so? add all the other costs and that could become 47k on road.

I know the Redbull at my local dealership is selling it for sub 50k driveyaway. so negotiations could really mean the price difference between the two models is negligible

You can get into a brand new A&D or RedBull 200 for $37,990 driveaway.

You'd have to be looking at another $8-$10k or more for a similarly spec'd 265.

No specifics, but I got into the 265 for less than $5k more than the price you have quoted. However I am sure I could have got into the Clio Redbull far cheaper than $37,990.

Bloody hell the black gets dirty - I forgot why I had stayed away from it for a few years!!! Gave it a good wash yesterday (washed all the burnt fuel off the rear diffuser!) and it's looking gooood.

Thanks for all of the responses!

Think I might get my girlfriend into a Megane Priviledge this week....

I got that wrong - it was a tad over $5k - $43,400 driveaway. I offered $42,600 and that was the final price we met on. I had a budget and the dealer had to meet it to get me in the car!

Cheapest 265 in Aus you reckon? I know I got a good deal, but your surprise makes me feel its better than I know? I just assumed Renault was struggling generally at the moment and deals were being done left, right and centre.

I got that wrong - it was a tad over $5k - $43,400 driveaway. I offered $42,600 and that was the final price we met on. I had a budget and the dealer had to meet it to get me in the car!

Cheapest 265 in Aus you reckon? I know I got a good deal, but your surprise makes me feel its better than I know? I just assumed Renault was struggling generally at the moment and deals were being done left, right and centre.

Quite the contrary,

I dare say ive read somewhere whilst we are the 3rd largest market in the world for the MegIIIs.. we're rivalling for spot number 2

What theyre actually doing is milking us out for all that they can :hyper:

Quite the contrary,

I dare say ive read somewhere whilst we are the 3rd largest market in the world for the MegIIIs.. we're rivalling for spot number 2

What theyre actually doing is milking us out for all that they can :hyper:

Yeah, I was aware that we buy a lot of Renault Sports in Australia, but Sunshine Renault told me they have been given specific instructions from Renault to move cars at all costs. I know the Renault dealers on the coast have always struggled (e.g. Cartwright). Sunshine apparently sold 2 265's and an 8:08 last week though, so I'd be very interested to see what they paid.

No pics yet?

I tried to upload one, but I'm no IT expert and have no idea how to do it without an upload feature on the site. I tried to put a photo as my avatar, but the file was too big and again, no idea how to make it smaller!

If you're on facebook, put a pic up there and then just copy the url and paste it into a new reply on this forum. Works very easily.

I tried to upload one, but I'm no IT expert and have no idea how to do it without an upload feature on the site. I tried to put a photo as my avatar, but the file was too big and again, no idea how to make it smaller!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=625

Nice pic, looks great, yellow diamond badges front & rear would tie in well i reckon.

Thanks mate.

I've thought about doing that, but I really think I will try and leave this car just factory fit out for as long as I can possibly stand.

My other idea was to paint all yellow parts black, paint the badges black and remove all badges. Just black it out. Wrestling with that - loses the 'specialness' of the Redbull model.

Personality I think blacking it out would devalue it quite a bit.

tend to agree with you. It's a special model and I'll probably leave it as such. God help me if I get it on a track though, couldn't help but put in a half cage.

as walkie previously mentioned,

the in your face design colour scheme of this redbull edition actually makes it feel like this car IS a special edition!

You saying it's not special? :P

Yeah, I'm keeping the yellow - just thinking out loud.

I want to buy some black, wide, 17 inch Enkei RPF1's for the track - anyone want to group buy?

I REALLY want to keep this car stock on the street. I bought this car to tide my modification appetite - you can imagine my dismay when I signed up to this site and found that everyone modifies them - I just assumed they would stay stock!!

Nice ride. Unmistakeable! I'd leave the paintwork alone. Why buy a Redbull special otherwise?

In all honesty I bought the Redbull Edition because it's the same price as the Cup, with the seats and some other features from the Trophy, with the wheels I prefer. I reckon the seats round out the specialness of these 265's. If I could have got a grey trophy with the 18 inch wheels or something at the same price I probably would have.

as walkie previously mentioned,

the in your face design colour scheme of this redbull edition actually makes it feel like this car IS a special edition!

You saying it's not special? :P

Yeah, I'm keeping the yellow - just thinking out loud.

I want to buy some black, wide, 17 inch Enkei RPF1's for the track - anyone want to group buy?

I REALLY want to keep this car stock on the street. I bought this car to tide my modification appetite - you can imagine my dismay when I signed up to this site and found that everyone modifies them - I just assumed they would stay stock!!

haha the RS range are all special.. what I mean is to the average onlooker, a person wouldn't be able to tell if it were a limited edition. ie. The 8.08s may be something to us but are just another yellow and white metallic colour to everyone. Redbull edition says otherwise :wink:

Congrats mate! I really love the Red Bulls! So much nicer in the flesh! Saw these recently in one of the dealerships and couldn't take my eyes off of it! The Black is a stunning black but definitely don't respray the LY highlights! Makes you stand out and will definitely devalue it!

Great work mate and welcome!