best H7 LEDs for Clio Rs200 2015?

swiftvin

I'd be looking at Narva, Philips Hella, all of those brands do LED's these days. There will shortly be some posts here about you being a jerk to other road users by fitting blinding, illegal, poorly made rubbish globes.. just thought I'd prefeace the discussion as it will no doubt head that way.

Technically they are illegal, the other arguments about glare etc are based on older style and/or cheaper globes that don't work well enought to bother with anyway.

I have been running LEDs in many of my cars for years and never had any issues and have gone to the trouble of checking by having someone drive towards me at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt205 said:

I'd be looking at Narva, Philips Hella, all of those brands do LED's these days. There will shortly be some posts here about you being a jerk to other road users by fitting blinding, illegal, poorly made rubbish globes.. just thought I'd prefeace the discussion as it will no doubt head that way.

Technically they are illegal, the other arguments about glare etc are based on older style and/or cheaper globes that don't work well enought to bother with anyway.

I have been running LEDs in many of my cars for years and never had any issues and have gone to the trouble of checking by having someone drive towards me at night.

Technically they’re illegal. That really should be the end of the discussion.

This is not a failure of legislation to keep abreast of new technologies. Car makers who fit LED lights and invested millions in having them approved did not do so by taking halogen systems and slapping led bulbs in. They build dedicated systems around the fundamentally different technology.

Led retrofits are illegal because they suck. And they suck for reasons of physics and maths, and no amount of big brand advertising can get around that.

I run nighteye 70W LEDs. Super high quality, can order off ebay or amazon and don't blind on coming trafffic. Make sure you adjust your headlights to face downwards (3-4 on settings) as they can be quite nasty if on the "0" setting.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Andersm said:

Technically they’re illegal. That really should be the end of the discussion.

This is not a failure of legislation to keep abreast of new technologies. Car makers who fit LED lights and invested millions in having them approved did not do so by taking halogen systems and slapping led bulbs in. They build dedicated systems around the fundamentally different technology.

Led retrofits are illegal because they suck. And they suck for reasons of physics and maths, and no amount of big brand advertising can get around that.

99% of cars with stock LEDs blind me, looking at you toyota hilux's and other 4WDs. Most people I know that install aftermarket LEDs actually go the extra step to make sure they don't blind oncoming traffic unlike those with stock LEDs that don't give a shit. 

25 minutes ago, aidan059 said:

99% of cars with stock LEDs blind me, looking at you toyota hilux's and other 4WDs. Most people I know that install aftermarket LEDs actually go the extra step to make sure they don't blind oncoming traffic unlike those with stock LEDs that don't give a shit. 

The prevalence of SUVs with their high headlights is an entirely separate issue. Even with halogens these things are an increasingly problematic part of life on Australian roads. 
Unfortunately the sort of selfish and aggressive attitudes that inspire the purchase of such vehicles also tends to think the laws don’t apply to them - so perhaps you might find that led lights on these things are not standard, and you’re copping a double whammy of stupid high suv and illegal optically horrific retrofits.

Toyotas factory led headlights are dedicated lens system by Koito  that are not really brighter than the halogen. 

Edited by Andersm

I remember we used to have a contributor on here that did a full HID retrofit on a car, as in bought a kit with proper projector housings and cut and shut the projector housings into the original halogen headlights, great idea (I would consider doing this myself),  totally illegal as well.

Same contributor was equally adamant about LED globes causing thousands of deaths, blinding the baby harp seals in Antarctica, causing the hole in ozone layer, and being a right wing conspiracy to make the rich richer whilst the poor uphold the virtue of the world by continuing to use halogens.

Somehow LED globes are illegal, but the HID retrofit, whilst technically also illegal was, somehow, less illegal.

Wonder what ever happened to them?

And yes, LED's are illegal, but that could never be the end of the discussion could it?

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Pokinacha said:

I’m surprised he’s lasted this long second time around. @Gambitsurely it’s time for a rest for Haakon 2.0?

He’s doing well to not rise to the bait!

• Like 1

Been using H7 Cougar X-Small in my Pug 207. These can be found on Amazon.
My Pug has projector beam lenses so cuts the light off nicely.
Get pretty uniform light out of them in the beam patter controlled by the projector beams.
Seem to get about 2 years of life out of a set.

The biggest determining factor to fitting LED's in any car is the size of the heatsink arrangement. My Pug had limited room so I can only have maximum 40mm diameter heatsinks and relatively short depth as well.

Also doesn't the Gen IV Clio have reflector beam headlights?

If so I would not recommend LED's in those as the light cut-off in reflector beams is rubbish compared to a Projector beam. Hence the blinding comments you are seeing pop up.

Although nothing could be worse the F'd up factory LED setup Toyota has on Hilux's. What a joke. How did that pass any standard anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LukeKGT said:

Although nothing could be worse the F'd up factory LED setup Toyota has on Hilux's. What a joke. How did that pass any standard anywhere in the world.

Agree with this - every time I see one, I'm convinced they have high beams on (whether behind or in front of me, and from 100m+ where the vehicle height shouldn't matter)

1 hour ago, rye172 said:

Has anyone tried retrofitting the later model Clio (2017) factory LED headlights? I'm sure it wouldn't be 'plug-n-play', but surely some enterprising soul has done it?

yes many in the UK have done it. You will have to wire though as they are not plug and play. Also it will set you back around $1k for a set of those headlights, very expensive and can't find at any wreckers. 

• Like 1

I personally use these LED in my daily reflector housing 197. Have not had anyone flash me, and the cut off is sharp as the mimic the beam of a standard bulb. But each to their own.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394317311764?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11304.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=5d4d3f52e71d4b0680606ec0225166d1&bu=43853038812&osub=-1~1&crd=20230315190316&segname=11304

IMG_20221121_103309.jpg

On 19/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, Matt205 said:

Thanks fo r the advice on this, have you heard of needing a cancellation module with these brands for Clio IV models?