New Clio Owner

Nik

Hi there, thanks for the add, my name is Nik and just purchased a EDC RS200 Clio Sport. First time buying a “European” car abs first time buying a “Renault” I was looking for batches for a daily (wanted an auto for a change) and saw this for sale.

First impressions of the RS200 from someone who has never thought of owning a Renault, it’s actually nice lol. The colour is still growing on me (not the type of person to have bright coloured cars) Obviously you hear from everyone “they’re unreliable, they break down, etc etc, but both interior and exterior quality has been decently been put together very well.

Since being new to these things (have always owned jap cars/still do) I’ve looked into some of the mods for these things (air intake, bluefin chips probably some wheels and wider/taller tyres).

The car isn’t a rocket compared to my other car, but it does handle very nicely around corners.  I’ll get some better shots of the car once I detail it. Also. What’s the tallest/widest tyre people have run on the stock wheels before there is any clearance issue? 

thanks 

E28E1ACF-A822-4612-B475-8DA02F854EEF.jpeg

Edited by Nik

1 hour ago, Nik said:

Hi there, thanks for the add, my name is Nik and just purchased a EDC RS200 Clio Sport. First time buying a “European” car abs first time buying a “Renault” I was looking for batches for a daily (wanted an auto for a change) and saw this for sale.

First impressions of the RS200 from someone who has never thought of owning a Renault, it’s actually nice lol. The colour is still growing on me (not the type of person to have bright coloured cars) Obviously you hear from everyone “they’re unreliable, they break down, etc etc, but both interior and exterior quality has been decently been put together very well.

Since being new to these things (have always owned jap cars/still do) I’ve looked into some of the mods for these things (air intake, bluefin chips probably some wheels and wider/taller tyres).

The car isn’t a rocket compared to my other car, but it does handle very nicely around corners.  I’ll get some better shots of the car once I detail it. Also. What’s the tallest/widest tyre people have run on the stock wheels before there is any clearance issue? 

thanks 

Welcome Nik.

Interested in your comment 'obviously you hear from everyone they are unreliable, they break down etc' - don't know who "everyone" is in your statement - you will find that most owners on the forum would strongly dipute that statement and offer an opposing opinion.

As for tyres (the eternal question) the car has been designed and set up by RenaultSport to use a particular size tyre in concert with the suspension set-up, if you change the size you are likely to upset the cars balance and handling. Use the standard size tyre but get some quasi R specs, such as Yokohama AD08R, Hankook RS3/4, Bridgestone RE71R/RS on it. These tyres will give you more incredible grip and will enhance the handling, no destroy it !!!

36 minutes ago, slick said:

Welcome Nik.

Interested in your comment 'obviously you hear from everyone they are unreliable, they break down etc' - don't know who "everyone" is in your statement - you will find that most owners on the forum would strongly dipute that statement and offer an opposing opinion.

As for tyres (the eternal question) the car has been designed and set up by RenaultSport to use a particular size tyre in concert with the suspension set-up, if you change the size you are likely to upset the cars balance and handling. Use the standard size tyre but get some quasi R specs, such as Yokohama AD08R, Hankook RS3/4, Bridgestone RE71R/RS on it. These tyres will give you more incredible grip and will enhance the handling, no destroy it !!!

you always get mixed reviews about renaults reliability when you ask people (whether they own/d one, or have heard from another source) about their opinion on them. 

29 minutes ago, Nik said:

you always get mixed reviews about renaults reliability when you ask people (whether they own/d one, or have heard from another source) about their opinion on them. 

Not from the people I know.

Welcome mate. 
You could probably go up one size in width but beyond that the handling may suffer - it won’t feel as sharp and responsive. Personally I’m a huge fan of Michelin Pilot Sports for mainly road use, they’re just a great tyre. 
There’s a few tuning options with these, from mild to wild. I’ve only ever had a Stage 1 tune (on my Meganes) because these cars aren’t really about straight line speed - it’s all about the corners!

• Like 1

I went up one size to 215/45/17's on mine mainly because they were much cheaper compared to the standard size.

They were only Bridgestone S001's with a 4 for the price of 3 offer at the time but they handled fine for my normal road use.

Edited by chris043

1 hour ago, speedfiend41 said:

Welcome mate. 
You could probably go up one size in width but beyond that the handling may suffer - it won’t feel as sharp and responsive. Personally I’m a huge fan of Michelin Pilot Sports for mainly road use, they’re just a great tyre. 
There’s a few tuning options with these, from mild to wild. I’ve only ever had a Stage 1 tune (on my Meganes) because these cars aren’t really about straight line speed - it’s all about the corners!

Not really after speed to be honest. I’ve already got another car that makes 450+kw at the rear lol. Just something that makes it more enjoyable to drive, but not spending ridiculous amounts of money into it

53 minutes ago, chris043 said:

I went up one size to 215/45/17's on mine mainly because they were much cheaper compared to the standard size.

They were only Bridgestone S001's with a 4 for the price of 3 offer at the time but they handled fine for my normal road use.

Hmm. Yeah. I was thinking of 215/45. I’ve got a spare set of rpf1’s (18x9 though) that I can test fit to see clearance. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Nik said:

Not really after speed to be honest. I’ve already got another car that makes 450+kw at the rear lol. Just something that makes it more enjoyable to drive, but not spending ridiculous amounts of money into it

Bloody hell! What is it - a Skyline or similar?

1 hour ago, Calaisclio said:

Renault came 30th in the whatcar.com annual 2020 review, just ahead of Landrover and behind Tesla or second last if you want to look at it another way. 

All depends on who you ask, doesn't it ??? And really what does it matter - as long as each owner is happy and thinks well of their RenaultSport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slick said:

All depends on who you ask, doesn't it ??? And really what does it matter - as long as each owner is happy and thinks well of their RenaultSport.

Yes, you are correct , but maybe, some customers don't think well of there Renaultsport and have responded accordingly? And maybe some don't appreciate the service costs or the parts availability or factory back up or build quality in comparison to other brands, etc. 

31 minutes ago, Calaisclio said:

Yes, you are correct , but maybe, some customers don't think well of there Renaultsport and have responded accordingly? And maybe some don't appreciate the service costs or the parts availability or factory back up or build quality in comparison to other brands, etc. 

Anything is possible.

With a few simple mods these cars are very capable, been driving mine since 2017. Tyre wise, I’ve had Dunlop sport Max RT, Kumho KU39, federal rs-rr, mich pss, Kumho ps71, Hankook rs4 and next month I will try out conti mc6’s. Best sizing for 17 is 215/45, for 18 it’s 215/40.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 8:17 AM, Nik said:

thanks 

Hi Nik, are you from NSW?

On 16/02/2021 at 2:51 PM, Nik said:

Got around to rotating the wheels/tyres (front are a little bold) cleaned the wheels using gyeon iron and degreased the engine bay. Next up is to wet vac the interior and then cut/polish

D45CDAEE-6BDF-4471-B38C-79E267D00B0D.jpeg

I'm wondering why you degreased engine bay. Was there any oil leak?

1 hour ago, eight said:

I'm wondering why you degreased engine bay. Was there any oil leak?

Usually when the mechanics have dirty hands, sometimes leaves oily finger prints, but it’s more for my own peace of mind. Can usually tell if there is any oil leaks when you degrease the engine by looking at the floor. I must admit, no oil anywhere 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nik said:

Also. Has anyone ran a 225/40/18 tyre setup on their Clio rs? Found some wheels for it (18x8 +38) with 225/40/17.

Yes.  A common fitment on the A&D and some other special editions of the Clio III which come with factory fitted 18x8 wheels.  The original tyre spec with those wheels is 215/40/18 but they often end up with 225/40/18s on them.

And I think you have a typo in your post showing 18" wheels with 17" tyres.  I know what you meant though.

8 minutes ago, Nik said:

Also. Has anyone ran a 225/40/18 tyre setup on their Clio rs? Found some wheels for it (18x8 +38) with 225/40/18, not sure if they would clear/rub on the inner guards 

Not sure that offset will work

get onto the UK based RS200EDC Facebook page and check with them

12 minutes ago, Caduceus said:

Yes.  A common fitment on the A&D and some other special editions of the Clio III which come with factory fitted 18x8 wheels.  The original tyre spec with those wheels is 215/40/18 but they often end up with 225/40/18s on them.

And I think you have a typo in your post showing 18" wheels with 17" tyres.  I know what you meant though.

Sorry, correct, 225/40/18. I’ve done some research and it does  sound like a common thing to go, but have also read about the handling aswell. 

2 minutes ago, Nik said:

Sorry, correct, 225/40/18. I’ve done some research and it does  sound like a common thing to go, but have also read about the handling aswell. 

I regularly swap wheels between 215/45/17 (standard Clio 3 size) and 235/40/18 (as big as will physically fit and almost nobody does this) on my Clio 3.  The handling difference is definitely noticeable but not necessarily worse - depends on what you are looking for.

I have never once thought "this car needs a LSD" while running the oversized tyres.  And it will absolutely outbrake the skinnier 17s.  But steering feel is heavier, turn in can be a bit mushy and it is less responsive to trail braking on the track (good or bad depending on your style).  For slalom and roundabout type work, the 215s are an excellent choice and what Renault engineers tuned the car for.  But for fast sweepers and hard, late braking (on track), I love the fattys.

12 minutes ago, Caduceus said:

I regularly swap wheels between 215/45/17 (standard Clio 3 size) and 235/40/18 (as big as will physically fit and almost nobody does this) on my Clio 3.  The handling difference is definitely noticeable but not necessarily worse - depends on what you are looking for.

I have never once thought "this car needs a LSD" while running the oversized tyres.  And it will absolutely outbrake the skinnier 17s.  But steering feel is heavier, turn in can be a bit mushy and it is less responsive to trail braking on the track (good or bad depending on your style).  For slalom and roundabout type work, the 215s are an excellent choice and what Renault engineers tuned the car for.  But for fast sweepers and hard, late braking (on track), I love the fattys.

Are you running the standard wheels with the 235’s? I’m worried there might be too much poke with the +38 offset. Absolutely, got to love a good chunky tyre lol 

Edited by Nik

49 minutes ago, Deet said:

This is a Clio 3

The OP has a Clio 4

It will be different

I think I’ll keep the $$ and buy some better tyres, spacers and maybe bluefin chip (or another type of aftermarket chip) car still has warranty though 

On 19/02/2021 at 4:30 PM, Nik said:

Also. Has anyone ran a 225/40/18 tyre setup on their Clio rs? Found some wheels for it (18x8 +38) with 225/40/18, not sure if they would clear/rub on the inner guards 

The perfect simple fitment is 18x8 +45 square. 225/45/18, but I prefer the 17s.

There are several fitment combos, but each has its variables or your budget.

Msg me on insta @stockcliolol or dm me for any questions. 

IMG_20201213_110515_082.jpg

• Like 1