Forum broken on mobile browsers

Dave200

there is something wrong with the layout post-upgrade. This is the same on Safari and Chrome on an iPhone XR. 

some channels are unreadable and there is no longer a way to see most recent comments within a threaD

the updates button in the user menu is hidden behind the menu’s close button. it is currently unusable.

484C7C06-BF27-4078-8089-A2005F192FBB.png

0A8081E7-FD30-4C7A-B1EA-DFAE09C848EF.png

There are lots of changes in version 4.5 of the forum software, the site theme is probably going to take a lot of adjustment to work correctly. 

Not sure if it helps but there is another theme you can select, but suspect it's even older..

Perhaps an interim solution is to install and/or adapt one of the off-the-shelf themes for 4.5? 

There also appears to be a problem with committing changes such as saving a comment, sending a DM or creating a thread. It either errors out or doesn't advise of the action completion and ends up creating multiple copies as can be seen with this thread appearing 3 times in the forum.

there's an update of the core theme, it's 30 bucks. Will just need some config. 

Course there may be other underlying issues with the odd double posting etc, but suspect it's a side effect of old theme on the updated forum software.

Happy to help if I can @Moosey

https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/dimension_dark/

Edited by Pastry

Thanks all. These notes have been passed to the IT support focal point.  This update has really cause numerous issues for the site and Tapatalk!

4 minutes ago, SLUGGO33X said:

Paul, do we pay for external IT support or is it volunteered by members?

I recall similar issues over the years with upgrades.

Its a paid freelancer. We let go of volunteers many years ago.   Main issue is caused by our custom skin needing to be rebuilt each time IPB does a major change to the forum software, and then Tapatalk cracking the s&^ts for each and every upgrade also. Really not sure why we dont just leave it as it was.

2 hours ago, Pastry said:

there's an update of the core theme, it's 30 bucks. Will just need some config. 

Course there may be other underlying issues with the odd double posting etc, but suspect it's a side effect of old theme on the updated forum software.

Happy to help if I can @Moosey

https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/dimension_dark/

Thanks - we already pay for the custom 'deflection' theme, which is a 3rd party theme. So for each update, we need to 1. update the forum, 2. download the updated theme. 3 recustomise the theme, 4. test the theme, 5. get rid of the layout bugs.  6. complain to Tapatalk because the plugin stopped working again. Its tedious.

3 hours ago, PaulD said:

Thanks - we already pay for the custom 'deflection' theme, which is a 3rd party theme. So for each update, we need to 1. update the forum, 2. download the updated theme. 3 recustomise the theme, 4. test the theme, 5. get rid of the layout bugs.  6. complain to Tapatalk because the plugin stopped working again. Its tedious.

Yep, seems to be the same issues with every major upgrade over the years.

How much notice are we given for the upgrade, is it a forced upgrade, and do we have a development site to test it all before going live?

Can we as members do anything to help avoid this in the future? Contribute $ for better IT support?

7 hours ago, apple3337 said:

I sent a PM to @timbo Is the PM working?

I thought @timbo would like this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eagleby/cars-vans-utes/peugeot-rcz-r/1257419500

Thanks mate — no PM — what a nice looking RCZ-R! But when I showed it to SWMBO, she gave it the thumbs down :(

13 hours ago, SLUGGO33X said:

Yep, seems to be the same issues with every major upgrade over the years.

How much notice are we given for the upgrade, is it a forced upgrade, and do we have a development site to test it all before going live?

Can we as members do anything to help avoid this in the future? Contribute $ for better IT support?

Yeah, all good points. They arent forced upgrades, but the site keeps reminding us to update. We had planned in the past to use a beta test site to iron out all the bugs, but it didnt occur to me this time (always seems like a minor update to be done). I'm an engineer, not an IT master (and I dont even own a RenaultSport anymore lol).

• Like 1

Yep, seems this site is well looked after – but I am a web dev so happy to try and squeeze in some help if I ever can be of service. 

And hey, I don't have an RS either.. yet!

Edited by Pastry

Hi all - i have forced all users to go back to the default skin, and disabled Tapatalk, and PMs are working again.  This is all such a hassle - clearly the skin and the forum software is not quite there.  Hopefully out IT lead can get the skin rebuilt today, and I will hear back from Tapatalk about the broken plugin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Safetyman said:

Not sure if it's been noted but my desktop only works using chrome, while my mobile only works off firefox.

Both leave me with the following error on screen.

Ozrenaultsport error.jpg

It is working for me now on the Default theme. Can you confirm if it works for you?  Our IT consultant is taking a long time to look into the skin - sorry for the delays. 

The issue with the site being inaccessible should be sorted now.

Unfortunately the custom skin was still set as the default front-end skin, so if you were logged out and tried to visit the site you'd encounter the error.

If it continues to provide the error for you, it may be worth trying to navigate to a different URL (like an existing thread in your history). Chrome refreshed fine for me, but Edge continued to show the error until I tried a different URL (perhaps was trying to refresh the error message? 🤷‍♂️)

39 minutes ago, Safetyman said:

So up and running with Firefox and Chrome but unfortunately, still the same error via tapatalk.

For the benefit of those not on Facebook, this was the update that @PaulD shared regarding the issues & Tapatalk

Hi all,

IPB (our forum software) advises us that the new version 4.5 is not compatible with Tapatalk. This is in contrast to the updated Tapatalk plugin for 4.5 which was installed a few days ago and caused lots of problems. For now, sadly we have had to disable Tapatalk, and will look into this over the weekend.

Theme issues caused by the forum update and custom skin will be resolved over the weekend. For now, to ensure that it works for all browsers and devices, we have deleted all custom skins and forced all users to use the default theme.

Thanks for your patience!

• Thanks 1