Clio 182/172 vs RS200

RileysClioRS

For all you 182/172 owners out there, how does it compare to the RS200 EDC? Besides the tech involved and gear boxes, what are the major differences in terms of handling and power delivery? 

Reason im asking is I own a rs200 but wondering what its like compared to an older model clio due to me wanting to look at a possible side project for myself or the possibility of selling my clio down the line in a few years time or so to buy an older model for that more interactive experience with the manual and NA power.

Any experiences with the cars or opinions is appreciated ( i also have questions about the meg 225 r26 but i will refer to that at a later date, just trying to learn as much as i can as a new renault owner :))

1cliosmagaug2016.jpg

I’m lucky enough to own and drive both cars pictured above. Without doubt the Clio II is one of the best hot hatches of the modern and classic era. They are an endearing, connected and analogue drivers cars. That connects you to the road  and maximizes that experience ten fold over a Clio iv 200. Mark my words in a number of year the Clio II will be highly sought after and finding good ones will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. They are the lowest price point now, grab one now and look after it for many years to come before it too late. Search every motoring article you like and there is unanimous agreement to what makes these cars so great. 

• Like 4

I have had an R26, 182 and MKIV Clio. I’m now on to a second 182 and it’s my daily. It’s the only one of the three I regretted selling. MKIV is a great car but it is easy-mode, good power and handling but if you want driver engagement, get a 172/182 change the air box and you will find any excuse to drive it. 

44 minutes ago, Jezz said:

I have had an R26, 182 and MKIV Clio. I’m now on to a second 182 and it’s my daily. It’s the only one of the three I regretted selling. MKIV is a great car but it is easy-mode, good power and handling but if you want driver engagement, get a 172/182 change the air box and you will find any excuse to drive it. 

Sounds great! What can i expect to pay for a 182 vs a 172?

On a comparison and I won’t comment because I’m biased even though I’m still driving 3 ll’s and two lV’s at present.
I made my 20 year old son drive the lV last week and he had it in Sport mode and was left disappointed. He floored it off the lights turning right and down the on ramp onto the freeway. Yes it was quick and we both looked at his speed just before he had to merge and he’d hit 118 already but you didn’t even feel like you were doing that speed. His comment was, “wow 118 already and no driver engagement at all compared to the 182, I don’t think I’ll keep this car long.”

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 63x1092 said:

On a comparison and I won’t comment because I’m biased even though I’m still driving 3 ll’s and two lV’s at present.
I made my 20 year old son drive the lV last week and he had it in Sport mode and was left disappointed. He floored it off the lights turning right and down the on ramp onto the freeway. Yes it was quick and we both looked at his speed just before he had to merge and he’d hit 118 already but you didn’t even feel like you were doing that speed. His comment was, “wow 118 already and no driver engagement at all compared to the 182, I don’t think I’ll keep this car long.”

Wow thats interesting to hear. Ive honestly considered selling my IV for a 172 and using the left over money from the IV after buying the 172 to do it up to how i want it. Ive seen a few around and its super tempting. Hows the manual transmission in them? compared to other hot hatches in the market?

Clio Mk3? Newer, a bit more power, better made. Yes they’re heavier,  but the gearing is shorter to compensate and they’re a six speed. And like the Mk 2s, I think the price has bottomed out...

• Like 1

I bought that back issue of Modern Classic with the Clio comparison. It didn’t include Clio IV’s, so that’s not a help BUT it did seem that his picks were the 172 Cup and the Sport 200.

Of the lot, the 197 fared least well.

If a Clio II is for example a bit too old for you perhaps the 200 is worth a look.

I doubt you can go too wrong no matter what you choose.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gambit said:

I’m lucky enough to own and drive both cars pictured above. Without doubt the Clio II is one of the best hot hatches of the modern and classic era. They are an endearing, connected and analogue drivers cars. That connects you to the road  and maximizes that experience ten fold over a Clio iv 200. Mark my words in a number of year the Clio II will be highly sought after and finding good ones will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. They are the lowest price point now, grab one now and look after it for many years to come before it too late. Search every motoring article you like and there is unanimous agreement to what makes these cars so great. 

I agree with all of this on the Clio 2. However I think they’ll be more like a 205 GTi down the line. It will be hard to find a good one, but they won’t be crazy expensive. They’re just not pretty enough, like an Alfa GTA, to fetch big money across the board.

However a good Trophy will appreciate, but that’s becoming a collector’s car not a driver’s car (and not relevant to Australia - yet)

Edited by japarn

As a Saab guy I’ve watched the 900 turbo with interest. Never the drivers car the Clio II is known as, but an iconic car all the same. Prices have just started to go up in the last 3 years - recently a car in top condition fetched ~27k.. and it was an auto!

Of course they’re now 30+ years old. It took a very long time for their value to appreciate, but try finding one today. A lot of cars went to scrap when prices were low. The 172 in particular is likely to follow that kind of fate soon, so hold on to the good ones and try to save them when possible, else they’ll vanish.

Edited by Pastry
  • Like 2

IMO:

172 - cheap, great fun, great for modifying into a car you want.

182 Cup - not cheap, best left as is out of the box save for intake/exhaust (for this noise in particular).

197 - bit of a pig, too sluggish. Owned one briefly, then later had one in my yard for 6 months when a mate went overseas, wasn't too sad to see it go.

200 Cup (Clio 3) - the best of the breed. Nothing will beat a 200 Cup. I can still vividly remember the 15 minutes I drove it up Old Pac 5 years ago. I still want one. 

• Like 5

Just out of curiosity. You were in sport mode. Auto or manual?

Sent from Tapatalk

Just now, eight said:

Just out of curiosity. You were in sport mode. Auto or manual?

Sent from Tapatalk

Do you mean auto or auto?

As even in auto paddle shift and you try and rev it out in second and hit 100 like a 182 it still changes gears on you

Do you mean auto or auto?
As even in auto paddle shift and you try and rev it out in second and hit 100 like a 182 it still changes gears on you
Switching to manual sport mode and use gearstick instead of paddles would that improve driver engagement?

Sent from Tapatalk