Sneaky spamming attacks and posting eligibility

Verve

Hi all. I'm sure some of you have noticed that in the past couple of weeks there have been some sneaky under the wire postings in old/obscure threads advertising stuff - latest was a triple post under 3 guests (who is obviously same person) advertising cheap airfairs/ cigs/ crap (EDIT - now 4 postings)

I am not sure if this has been canvassed fully before but I am wondering whether we need to tighten posting eligibility as we near 500 members.

I'm a member of a number of other forums which will allow you to look at posts but not reply or post new thread etc until you've signed up as a member of the forum.

Do we need to consider this? Would it stop the sneaky spammers (would they go to the trouble of registering just to post a few messages knowing they'll be banned shortly afterwards)?

Or am I just being a tad over-reactive?

I'm not talking BTW about folks like clio-stylers who got some of you off side. I'm thinking generally about allowing open access to anyone to post anything.

I don't know what the answer is, I'm just thinking out loud.........

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a member of forums where you ned to get your post count up to lets say 50 before you can post in the buy/sell section, i like this idea stops people signing up just to flog stuff off and also encourages them to post and become part of the community if they intend to sell stuff.

Just a suggestions, im sure the mods have considered this though

Easy & quick fix ...Support the site support the forum donate or piss off & view from the sidelines :popcorn:

If someone cant be a***d to donate a measly $10 to keep the site running then why should they have the right to place ad's etc..

This site isn’t for free it isn’t fair some cover the costs while others look @ the donation box like a Pom does soap...click the damn box & contribute

:thanks:

http://www.captcha.net/

This project will solve the robot problem and they have PHP classes. You would simply require the user to fill out the form using the dynamic image, simular to a lot of sites now. That will solve the robot problem no worries

IMO issues such as this will only get worse as the forum grows.

That's what my fear is Grant.

I'm also thinking beyond robots and whether we have general access to the world at large to view, but you must be be member to post. Spammers and gumbies are what I'm concerned about.

I don't agree with having to pay $10 to join the forum, I think that might alienate ppl who find us after googling and then would have joined and contributed to valuale discussions but are scared away right at the start. You could however if you went down this road have 2 types of members - I don't know what you'd call them (say general and special) - general have just joined but special have joined and paid $10, and get extra privilages (we can swear at noobs) or a sticker or something.

I think 50 posts might be too much for this forum to allow post in FS - but maybe 10 or 15, or only allow the special members to post FS? I don't know

Not trying to make this difficult, as I said, I was just thinking aloud and looking at the future as these issues would only get worse. We don't want to alienate genuine ppl from joining but neither do you want to encourage spammers and gumbies from joining.

OK, have just got rid of the 2 word censors.. sh*t is now sh*t. doesnt worry me.

have also added a visual check when registering, to attempt to stop bots.. (like the ones when you join a bank, insurance etc).

Have also implimented a ranking system. i thnk then we can only allow posting in the for sale section for people who have posted over 20 times.

what you all think? ideas?

Moosey put the word censor in because I can't see the forum at work sometimes.

If there is properly spelt foul language I get a blue screen with 'Profanity Detected' and I can't view the page.

How about sh1t or something like that so it still resembles the real word if you really want swearing in there.

Moosey put the word censor in because I can't see the forum at work sometimes.

If there is properly spelt foul language I get a blue screen with 'Profanity Detected' and I can't view the page.

How about sh1t or something like that so it still resembles the real word if you really want swearing in there.

hahah yeah word filters suck, no i know when ever i dont want clioF1 to see a thread i ll just put the word sh*t in my post :wink:

Im not too fussed with the filter, do what you please but the 20 post limit to post in FS is just right Paul :headbang:

I like the way we've suddenly changed from Regulars to Régulier and Admin to Administrateur ........ Trés chic 8)

Yep, "Thought Police" didn't translate too well into French :mrgreen:

OK after all your work over the past few days chaps, unfortunately you didn't actually address the main issue I raised - guests posting spam - here's one that was posted just this am.... http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=936&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=47

I'm quite happy for the Administrateurs to take whatever action they deem fit, and I'll put up with the spam if they consider it acceptable, but I restate my query - what about restricting postings to members only - guests can view the forums but not post?

I'll shut up now.

OK after all your work over the past few days chaps, unfortunately you didn't actually address the main issue I raised - guests posting spam - here's one that was posted just this am.... http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=936&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=47

I'm quite happy for the Administrateurs to take whatever action they deem fit, and I'll put up with the spam if they consider it acceptable, but I restate my query - what about restricting postings to members only - guests can view the forums but not post?

I'll shut up now.

I've deleted that post.

I'm sure we will get the permissions sorted out soon so only members will be able to post.

Cheers, :D

This is now fixed... sorry about the delay.. was looking for support on the phpbb site, but it has been down for maintenance for a few days..

Now in all sections, you need to be logged in to reply or start a new topic..

If there are any spammers among us, they will still be able to post.. if we see one, we just delete their account once the admin team concur that they are infact a spammer.

I can customise the settings for each section, for example, if you want to change the 'for sale' section to be SEEN or READ only by those who are LOGGED in, no probs.. But i cant see the problem with anyone being able to see this section.. its only posting that causes problems.

Hope this helps :)

le Administrateur :D

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd jump onto it before it happened

Username: neckermann

Username: kimwong

Both have joined in the last month, and have suss urls linked..

goddamnit.. I am so bored.

Username: kimwong

Haha - my uni lecturer had that name! And damn - I'm certain she ain't driving a RSC! haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey admins, i think we have a serious problem with spammers and fake users signing into the forum....take a look at this page of recent joiners

Look at the memberlist and use the sort in descending order function first, then you'll see what i mean

seems susicious, all have a website but no posts...and have similar names...maybe you might want to look into it!

cheers,

Brendan

Thanks Brendan,

We'll see if any of these names post a message but I expect your right and we can delete them easy enough.

The websites are all pharmacy related and the emails all point to the same server, spammers almost certainly.

cheers,

They've all been removed now. Was an absolute crap-load of them.

Thanks Grant, just got back from a meeting and was going to delete them myself, saved me the effort.

I'd better do some real work now :D

They've all been removed now. Was an absolute crap-load of them.

Thanks Grant, just got back from a meeting and was going to delete them myself, saved me the effort.

I'd better do some real work now :D

No worries mate :D Figured the quicker they're removed the better, who knows what they're doing :?:

two new spammers - kliza and lizka....oh and you haven't deleted the other one dgf.....

I clearly don't have as much time on my hands as you Brendan :roll::wink:

and thats how he achieve 684 counts in less than 2 and a half months of membership

Brendan, you're young and you have a nice car - go and find some women to talk to :) Its more fun than spending all your time at your PC.

Let's start a thread about the Brendan paradox, has the fly ride but is on OZRS all day :P

Mate get out there and get some booty and like a good Aussie tell all your mates (with video of course), it will still keep your post count up but at least we know your out there getting laid 8)

• 1 month later...

We had some spammers some time ago so the Admin team did some tweaking of the register system. I was under the impression that we had fixed this. Perhaps thats why some newbies couldn't register?

We will keep an eye on this as best we can.

PS Thanks for the heads up.

username: cool98514

interests: slot machine software

SUSS ??