rs 265 engine failure

two65r

Hey all

Just another update ( let me know these updates are boring you ), I picked up a loan car on Sunday morning , Megane Cup.

I spoke with the Renault Technician today to ask what was to happening with the 'repair'. They have ordered a new engine which will arrive in the middle of May. In the mean time they have started pulling down the engine to see what caused the conrod to go through the side of the block.

I'm very much looking forward to what they find as the cause.

I hope for the confidence & comfort for all Megane owners that it was an anomaly during the engine build & not a design fault. These cars as promoted as the hottest ever hatch & we should be able to drive them they way they are marketed.

Up until this point in time the response for Renault Australia the Ben the salesman has been very empathetic & very helpful.

An experienced Renault Tech told me that you should be able to redline these for an extended period without any issues. Obviously the rev limiter prevents us from doing that in most circumstances.

As Matt & others have said, and most of us know, your very unfortunate experience is very rare and we'd have heard of more occurrences, so not too much to worry about for most of us.

Your updates aren't boring - please do keep us up to date!

Hey all

Just another update ( let me know these updates are boring you ), I picked up a loan car on Sunday morning , Megane Cup.

I spoke with the Renault Technician today to ask what was to happening with the 'repair'. They have ordered a new engine which will arrive in the middle of May. In the mean time they have started pulling down the engine to see what caused the conrod to go through the side of the block.

I hope for the confidence & comfort for all Megane owners that it was an anomaly during the engine build & not a design fault. These cars as promoted as the hottest ever hatch & we should be able to drive them they way they are marketed.

Up until this point in time the response for Renault Australia the Ben the salesman has been very empathetic & very helpful.

Great news, in both what the progress report is with the car and how your salesperson is looking after you

Hey all

Did you happen to check the oil level after it went bang?

Keep the updates coming.

I suggest you do everyone a favour and treat your loan car as if it were your own.

Glad to hear you are being well looked after.

I suggest you do everyone a favour and treat your loan car as if it were your own.

THIS.

Ive got a normal megane as my loaner at the moment and its only done 30k kays.. but the poor thing has been neglected to the pooper.. things broken, dirty etc etc.. It is a courtesy vehicle to replace your own whilst your own is unavailable. It is not a car that needs to be thrashed nor abused.. Makes me feel kinda sad for it really.. not to mention my OCD is telling me to detail it hahaha

Though its steering feel is as dysfunctional as a 87 yo's man organ, it shouldnt be abused just because its not 'your car'. Same goes for demo models.. Least get them them up to temp before you give it some..

I've just got my 250 Cup back from teh delaership as it needed a replacement Slave Cylinder kit so required the car to have the gearbox out and that meant they gave me a loaner for 2 days. All I got was a mid range 2012 Megane 5 door hatch.

Treat the Cup like your own and if you are going to go hard in it then only go about 50% of what you would if it was yours. Also remember that there would be an expensive excess with that loaner if you read the loan document you signed when you got it which will no doubt be about $1100 so take that into consideration as well.

But have fun :wink:

+1

It's not your car to trash and if you brought the car back and it was shagged, do you think you would ever get looked after again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

It's not your car to trash and if you brought the car back and it was shagged, do you think you would ever get looked after again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad ran a Benz dealership for a while, and oh I could tell you some stories. The idea of "self-entitlement" came to mind.

There was definitely a list of who doesn't get loan cars.

I drive my own car like I stole it. I managed to three wheel a Megane Scenic automatic loaner once, does that count?

Our dealership makes me pay a fee for loaner cars now.

Everyone seems to have differing on how to treat a loaner however my view is that Renault were kind enough to loan me a car similar to mine & I will be treating it well, as if it were my own. When I bought it home home I washed & vacuumed it as it was pretty grubby. The only thing that concerned me about it was that the oil level was almost on the low mark of the oil dipstick , so I shelled some money & put a litre of oil in it. I was a bit disconcerted as the car has only done a tick over 6000 klm & the oil is filthy. Obviously this car has been thrashed ! The week before I blew my engine my oil level was spot on & a pristine translucent green.

Renault Australia were supposed to get back to me on Friday to let me know whether I am to be covered by warranty but the call never came ..... Maybe they were all on a sickie ?!? I will be calling them tomorrow to see where I'm at .

I went to AMR Renault Service Centre for my first service today and I saw your beautiful red one.

They tried to lift engine up, so I asked manager it has broken engine and he said yes.

BTW,luckily,I saw new engine was delievered from France.

He said they will put new engine soon. :)

Well... what an interesting first 10 posts, to say the least.

Welcome, first of all, and truly sorry to hear your tales of woe.

At this stage, hoping they cover it under warranty, and all is well thereafter.

Short of you entering a race meet whilst sleep walking, i cannot see how they could pin it on you.

Anyways...as others have mentioned... keep us posted.

The gree oil has me befuddled. :?

Cheers,

WOLF

Hey all. Been offline for a bit........getting smashed with work & the like.

Renault France were allegedly contacting Renault Australia today to hand down their decision on my car. They called me last week & assured me that they would contact me today . No call came through . So I hope they contact me tomorrow. As you can appreciate I am getting a bit edgy about what they come back with . I realise that there is a process however they have had 3 weeks or so to sort this. The dealer that sold me the car has been pretty supportive & has been in constant contact is concerned about the situation. I have spoken to another Renault Dealer & he cant understand why it is dragging on. To quote him "..... you buy a car that is marketed as the hottest hatch & Renault push the the racing association & then it's engine sticks a leg out of bed ....... It doesn't bode we'll for us as dealers". When the news comes through tomorrow , good or bad , ill let you know. Cheers

Aren't they currently working on your car ... it says somewhere above they have a new engine etc. Surely they can't be doing all that without your consent unless they are absorbing the costs.

Anyway, I hope they come back and confirm shortly as I expect it would be a painful wait.

All the best.