To : megane 265 owners

tezza

Hi it's tezza I am new to Renault and 'went the guts' as they say and bought a new red capsicum 265 Cup with a few goodies. I won't get it till mid to late June though.

I have been a very regular on the Age newspaper on line singing the praises all the 265 and today I saw that VW are bringing out a new GTI . So Tezza gies into bat saying how wonderful the reviews are and the Golf owners pounce. You know I an saying this boring tired old box, old shoe box which gets cleaned up by tge 265.

One dude said 'Tezza, you better start getting to know tge service staff at Renault because I took mine in 6 times in six months, 'Now , he said, I bought a Golf R ' which he raves about

gents and ladies , if you own a 265 , or know people who do, can you pls tell me what problems are causing you to take the eager little terrier in to be fixed. Are there any serious issues, is the car performing like it should

not having limited slip duffs before, I do have just an intuitive feeling that it might give us grief

But can anyone tell me the details perhaps specifically

in other words what's going wrong, any trends, anything serious?

One other, I am finding it hard waiting till June till I get the red hot hatch, that Matty, a very nice fella at Richmond Renault in Melbourne said I could get a better exhaust system for about $2500k and it would be installed at Richmond .Matt or Ben there said it will then boost the hp to 290hp .

He took me for a spin in a white Trophy and I didn't think the burble and crackle were very evident. The sound seemed still quite muffled; it still has to comply with tHe EPA decibels of 96?

So to summarise, how is the 265 going, are people taking it in a lot, and if so, what are tge problems blah blah

And van you tell me whether you have fitted the exhaust and do you believe you now have a Megane 265.

All comments will be appreciated

oh, by the way, When I blog to the drive segment of the age on line my blog name is ' Tezza's profound wisdom'

let me know the good oil, brothers and sisters!

No issues here so far, still love it to bits.

I don't think there is any problems even from the RSM250 so you can be at ease. VAGs seem to have more issues then any car at the moment with the DSG problem.

As for the exhaust, I doubt you will get that much increase without a remap and it would be a cat back system. The system itself is very unrestrictive as the mid and rear box are straight through. A cheap mod that myself and others have done is remove either the rear or mid box to improve the sound.

From what I can understand VW's are far less reliable, but I have only heard horror stories about the lesser models not the GTI/R, I think you will find most modern cars are similar these days.

My Megane RS250 (identical car to the RS265) has now done over 40,000km hard kilometers, in that time it has only been back in once and that was to have a new drivers seat fitted as the OEM Cloth Recaro's are made of toilet paper, they also fitted a new door hinge as mine was getting noisy. Both these things could be overlooked if you were not fussy though, they were minor.

Hold out for a Red RS265,it will look fantastic and you will love it... also have a look at the new Opel Astra VRX if you are still tentatively cross shopping.

2 year old 25,000 km 250 here.

No problems as yet.

6,000kms and one of the rear number plate lights has gone, not really fussed unless the other one goes too. Will wait for the 10k service to have it sorted under warranty. No serious issues otherwise.

I suspect that $2,500 exhaust upgrade your dealership refers to is the turbo back setup that Ktec have fairly recently released. In terms of power increase not quite sure you'll get quite that much without a remap as mentioned above.

If you're considering the 265 and still are um'ing and ah'ing. Opel Astra OPC, Ford Focus ST/RS are some other rides that you might want to look at?

congrats on the purchase - it will be worth the wait.

chris

Welcome Tezza.

Don't pay attention to those VW fan bois :roll:

And don't pay $2500 for an exhaust! That is just ridiculous and there's no way you'll get 25hp from it. Have a look in the Megane III section for more info on exhaust systems.

The wait will go quickly and be worth it. IMO red is the most underrated colour in the Megane range - it is stunning!

Welcome Tezza.

Generally hear pretty good things about the Megane, aside from engines blowing up, poorly fitted trim, interior rattles, excess tyre wear, premature seat fabric wear and so forth. Then again, maybe you should wait for the next gen Golf - VW seem committed to bridging the gap and there is much to commend. Did you consider the extra enjoyment of RWD and test drive the M135i and GT86 before ordering?

Engine's blowing up, really? Trixie be trolling!

e65.gif

Excess tyre wear is not a fault either, that is entirely down to how it is driven and applies to all cars!

Just one reported engine failure that we've have heard of, and that only got publicity because it was a long-termer on a magazine's fleet... most issues that I've read about are pretty minor, and can more likely be put into the annoyances basket rather than something one would classify as issues. I'd go so far as to say that there are more issues with inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of these very quick cars.

We've racked up almost 5000km in under 3months (and all purely recreational driving cos it's not our daily!) and the only thing that annoys me is the inconsistent Bluetooth connectivity.

All the best with the purchase. If it wasn't for the release of Liquid Yellow, we'd have bought a red one too - they look terrific!

Engine's blowing up, really? Trixie be trolling!

Excess tyre wear is not a fault either, that is entirely down to how it is driven and applies to all cars!

Well, maybe just a bit :oops:

never had an issue with my R26 [ 5 years ] and the new 265 feels tight as . the family 172 [ track car ] is bulletproof anf the 197 feels great too .

on the other hand , i had massive problems with a very expensive VAG product and know well people whos Audi / golf DSG has been rebuilt and rebuilt under warranty .

theres myths about cars and two of them are ''german perfection'' and ''french problems'' . my expensive VAG product was totally unreliable and simply quite the worst car i've ever owned .. and theres been a few . and our BMW [ which i like ] is just in for a gearbox and transfer case rebuild [ estimate 5-6 k ] at 120,000klm ! go figure .

I must add, looking at your other thread you are buying from Gary and Warren Smith in Rimgwood. My experience with their servicing has been terrible and would avoid them at all costs. Make sure upon delivery you check everything very carefully.

Someone else here picked up one from them and the handbrake stitching was torn.

Glen Waverly Renault however gets super high praise from me in both sales and servicing.

It's Tezza again, thank you very much for replying so promptly.

I am gong to take all your advice. I won't get the exhaust done at Renault Rivhmond in Church street. I am green about the these thimgs.

I liked the guys at Richmomd. Matt was very well spoken, used to be the mechanic at Ringwood, mow seems to do both sales and a bit of mechanical work.

He did promote the exhaust, bit I thought $2500 was a lot of dough

too!!

Makes me ask you guys this: do you know about Renault Richmond's reputation in service, in competence- I guess it like a restaurant- if the conscientous and thorough mechanic leaves, service quality and problem identification can drop right off, so one would need to really in the know- where are the respected mechanics- I guess they have their own businesses. So is Richmond ok, or not particularly as they are proting the exhaust; they told that there was this gun fella around tge corner to them who does lots if quality stuff.

Should I get Matt at Richmond to unpack for me what I get for $2500 k- abd ask about Ktec and a the details; and sure I hear that irrespective of whether it I'd ktec or not, $2500

is ridiculous; also I gather they should not be telling me that if I get the exhaust done, it will give

e 290hp- that is what MAtty said.

So is it Glen Waverley or is Richmond.

I did but my red Capsicum Cup from Gary and Warren Smith- no cuppas offered there But they did at Richmond have a 2012 plated 8:08 there with about 4000k on it; I of course told them the truth that I had ordered a Cup from Gary & Warren Smith. If I hadn't done that , I think zi woukd have bought th 8:08. It was $50k drive away - basically the extra thing it had of course was the leather seats an 19 inch wheels and keyless entry- I have all the other stuff, and cost mr $47730 drive away - 2013 plated if course but waiting till June is getting to me.

So that is about it really, except I blog incessantly on the Age on live 'drive' , saying wonderfully things about the hottest front wheel drive hatch ever, and the fastest and best now- always look for my blog name- and there is stuff of mine there right now about the new VW GTI- look for my blog name 'Tezza's's profound wisdom.

By the way I can't wait to show up at your meeting place with my new red cap. Cup, but it won't be ti late June I expect

cheers and happy motoring guys and gals !!

I like writing Bacchus, but I read thus when a reviewer made the opening summary:

to the question what is the 265 like:

the response:

"eager, eager, eager"

or this to the question " so what is the 265 really like on the road"

the reply, " in a word, remarkable"

i must admit though, there have been new stuff on line about the 275 lately, so I am running out of material.

Except of course, when a hatch review comes up giving high praise, and then I come in heavy.

Of course, the rivalry continues.

Merc is releasing a thundering 365 hp A45 hatch - I expect this will be AWL though, and $80,000 , so you really can't line this up with the little 265 Megane terrier eh?

I intuitively believe that 265 hp and 360NM of torque is getting near tge limit for front wheel drive; physics begin to turn it all around, and stress will mean it can all come to poo and damage what is now a truly remarkable product, a product that Renault does little to promote here, I mean you have this top shelf product, and I am no marketeer or photo shoot dude, but I could cobble together a understated but narcissistic ad that would start the testerterone squirting in a rush without offending people about safety and speed. and ensuring that hoonism Is in mo way promoted- tge add would be slick, sexy and understated showing the ostentatious looks, curvy looks and extraverted nature. A quip that "arguably the RS ( might be best leaving that acronym out) Megane 265 is the best front wheel drive ever built"

Renault must find it not worth it despite the fact that we are second country with the highest sales

maybe right hand drive tooling and assembly is a pain

but to me that ad should be on the telly now

gotta get to sleep it is 1am fri 1 Mar.

Cheers from mr 265 (tezza)

G'day and welcome Tezza.

Don't fret and don't change your mind about the MEG...

But also, don't take the offer of the aftermarket exhaust from new.

Drive away happy with the stock car and enjoy it, if you want to hear the exhaust, remove the parcel shelf.

Matt's a good operator, and the parts guy at City Autos always treats me right.

I've not had anything mechanical done there of late (out of my way) but the workshop is always tidy when the car club holds an event there. Give them a go!

Hey Terry good to see you on here. Thanks for the kind words from you and Griffyn too! In regards to the exhaust, I said we sell them for $2500 fitted but we could work something out. Nobody pays retail these days anyways haha. I gave that horsepower figure just by going off what Milltek advertise. Up to a 10% power increase. Obviously we haven't dynoed an RS here but in keeping in line with RenaultSports conservative power figures I'm sure it wouldn't be too far off that number.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a product that Renault does little to promote here, I mean you have this top shelf product, and I am no marketeer or photo shoot dude, but I could cobble together a understated but narcissistic ad that would start the testerterone squirting in a rush without offending people about safety and speed. and ensuring that hoonism Is in mo way promoted- tge add would be slick, sexy and understated showing the ostentatious looks, curvy looks and extraverted nature. A quip that "arguably the RS ( might be best leaving that acronym out) Megane 265 is the best front wheel drive ever built"

Renault must find it not worth it despite the fact that we are second country with the highest sales

maybe right hand drive tooling and assembly is a pain

but to me that ad should be on the telly now

gotta get to sleep it is 1am fri 1 Mar.

Cheers from mr 265 (tezza)

Honestly, the car promotes itself, at least to the market it needs. Not that there hasn't been an appropriate level of exposure through various promotions, on-line and print advertising. And just about every road test written sings its highest praise. Meanwhile Renault Australia are steadily increasing their brand awareness and, most importantly, their infrastructure. As it seems the only thing stopping some people from buying these cars are the lack of a DSG and the incorrectly-perceived lack of quality and dealer support, expanding the dealer network through increasing sales across the range seems the sensible thing to do.

As for advertising it with the line "the best front drive ever built", aside from starting a long and tedious argument which includes ITRs, 205 GTis, Citroen C6s and Lotus Elans, that perhaps undersells what a remarkable chassis it has to the great unwashed.

Hi tezza,

The megane is a great drive, and will never be disappoint if you love performance and shear agility in a car. Yes, it's not practical (2 doors) and the recaros are not woman friendly but the driving experience is unreal.

If you are lookinh for an everyday car that has performance, is comfy, looks like every other car on the road, the gti is better. If you are a fussy person, worried about panel gaps, minor random niggles, the megane is not for you. Nor is the gti from what I read.

What I'm trying to say is, the megane never pretends to be a luxury car or a better built product. It's simply a hardcore hatch, and that is what it achieves.

5 and a half months, and BOB is going in for the 20,000km service tomorrow.

Biggest issue is squeaky brakes and the battery in one card might be close to flat.

In other words, it's awesome, stress less and have a blast when you get it!

Regards

Daniel

squeaky brakes? aha! so I'm not the only one then?

just got a call to say the parts are in and I can book the car in to get that fixed.

unfortunately I just spotted something else - my front nearside bumper has a stalactite of paint formed at the base which no one seems to have picked up pre-delivery. Prior to this I found a scuff mark on the rear bumper and a missing clip on the bumper causing it to be out of alignment with the door panel.

do renault not have a QC dept. The car's great but these little things can be annoying.

My brakes became quite squeaky this week. I remember reading somewhere that if you cruise along at ~60km/hr then hit the brakes fairly hard and come to a complete stop.

Did that a couple of times and problem solved (for a while anyway).

Should also mention I haven't had any real driving for about 3 weeks now other than the day to day commute to work and highway driving.

My brakes became quite squeaky this week. I remember reading somewhere that if you cruise along at ~60km/hr then hit the brakes fairly hard and come to a complete stop.

Did that a couple of times and problem solved (for a while anyway).

I've also used this method on a few other cars when needed. What the heavy braking does is get rid of the hard surface of the brake pad/rotor which previously caused vibration, and in effect, squeaking. Once the hard material between the two surfaces is gone, the noise should hopefully be minimal.