I WANT MY CLIO!!!

dweezle

Hi all,

First up, Great forum you guys have here.

I have been a long time MX5er and want a change.

Once i get rid of the MX5 and associated bits & pieces, i will be getting myself a 172 :hyper::hyper:

I am located in Sydney and just wondering if anyone has a cruise or a meet of some sort organised anytime soon?

I would love to come along with one of my MX5's if allowed and have a chat.

Would also be keen for someone to take me for a blast in there Clio to show me what they are all about.

I will be competing in NSW Hillclimb and Supersprint Championships plus i am hoping there are Clio Club days!!

Anyways, Hope to meet a bunch of you in the future and looking forward to getting some Hot Hatch fun!

Welcome mate!

A bunch of us compete in the CSCA super sprints annually.

Where are you located? That might give someone close by the push to show you there car!

Welcome , you'll love the clio !

come to CSCA sprints in 2013 - theres a whole bunch of Clios / lotus from here and a very courteous, safe level of driving and the cars are more Clio like than the high pow GTRs etc you can get at the NSW sprints

We have a Clio member here planning to do the hillclimb next year too

Welcome. A 172 would be a nice change, both MX5 and Clio are great cars so you cat go wrong.

Good luck selling the MX5, would think summer would be a good time to sell!

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

I am located in the Lane Cove area of NSW.

Been helping my lil bro this year in the NSWHCC this year in my old NA6 MX5.

530411_10151285572879539_986455849_n.jpg

I was putting together a turbo beast Mx5 in the garage but now buying a house with the Girlfriend funds are needed.

Also, i have kind of become a little tired of the MX5 scene and while i will always have a soft spot for the "lil roadster that could", i want something that i can carry wheels, tools and equipment to the track without taking a spare car or hoping nothing happens.

FWD will be interesting to deal with but i will always have the lil bros NA if i want to get a little sideways.

We are talking about sharing the 2 cars at different events which sounds great to me.

Hope to meet some of you as soon as i get hold of my CLIO!! :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the welcomes guys.

I am located in the Lane Cove area of NSW.

Been helping my lil bro this year in the NSWHCC this year in my old NA6 MX5.

530411_10151285572879539_986455849_n.jpg

I was putting together a turbo beast Mx5 in the garage but now buying a house with the Girlfriend funds are needed.

Also, i have kind of become a little tired of the MX5 scene and while i will always have a soft spot for the "lil roadster that could", i want something that i can carry wheels, tools and equipment to the track without taking a spare car or hoping nothing happens.

FWD will be interesting to deal with but i will always have the lil bros NA if i want to get a little sideways.

We are talking about sharing the 2 cars at different events which sounds great to me.

Hope to meet some of you as soon as i get hold of my CLIO!! :headbang:

Looks like Huntley, I've done it a few times in the Clio recently and will be doing the Hillclimb championship next year, did you happen to set a record at Huntley with your MX5 in 2011?

• 3 weeks later...

Well i now finally belong here!!!

Picked her up this morning.

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3401pixlr.jpg

Renault Sport Clio 172 2002

94,000Ks, Service history and the previous owner has been using the famed AP Automotive which was music to my ears when he said that.

Seems to be in pretty good condition.

Got it home and proceeded to give her a bath so that i could go over the car thoroughly.

I always find it annoying how i only seem to find issues when i am cleaning the car.

I should always just offer the owner to wash the car as my inspection.

Anyways, main things i have found are -

-Passenger latch to fold seat forward to allow rear passenger does not seem to work. Pull it and the seat goes no where. Drivers side works fine.

-Snorkel piece from air box for the cold air feed is buggered.

-Fuse box cover latch is dodgy.

-Washer system not working. I can hear the pump working but no water is coming out anywhere.

-Steering Wheel not dead Straight, drives straight and brakes straight. Will book it in for an Alignment in the next day or so. I always use Stu at Spinning Wheel for the MX5, The guy is a genius. Who is the Sydney Go To Guy for Clio Alignments??

All of these are not really major issues i believe and will start to try and sort them out in the coming weeks.

Car drives and feels great.

Nice to have some Torque !!!

Bring on the FUN :hyper::hyper:

Good onya Dweezle. Nice looking 172.

With regards to your washers not working, the holes at the nozzles may be just blocked as happens frequently on some cars. I expect you will track that fault down by unplugging some hoses or needling the nozzle holes.

Wheel alignment should fix your steering as you say. Mine when like that simply by fitting new front tyres without doing the alignment but soon fixed.

Cheers Busgo!! So far i am really happy with it.

The weird thing with the nozzles is none work.

Not the windscreen, not the headlights, not the rear window.

But i can hear the pump when i pull back on the wiper stalk.

I am guessing that maybe a hose is broken between the reservoir and the nozzles??

Congrats on the purchase!

Check the nozzles or hoses aren't blocked as BUSGO says - if you can determine they aren't blocked then there is another common issue that you can look at.

There are 2 washer motors - iirc one supplies the headlight washers, the other does the front windscreen and rear window. On each washer motor there is a small valve with 2 outlets - the valve is basically a small plastic cylinder with rubber on each end. Depending on the flow of the water this cylinder moves left or right and directs the water ie. on one motor to the windscreen washers or the rear window washer. Due to the washer additives that get added to the water, sometimes this rubber 'swells' and prevents the cylinder from moving back and forth - stopping the water from flowing. This may be why you hear the motor going but no water is coming out.

It is fairly easy to open up the valve housing on the washer motor and trim back the rubber slightly - not much, only about 0.5 to 0.7mm worth on each end - this usually then allows the valve to operate properly.

You may also find though that only one washer motor is operating as well - again iirc the headlight washers are supposed to come on when the windscreen washers are activated - so you may only be hearing one motor going rather than both of them. On my Clio the motor for the headlight washers doesn't work but as the motor for the windscreen/rear window does this isn't a big deal for me...

My 172 had the same issue and Carl from Virage just replaced both units at a very reasonable price.

The washer issue?

Sorry for the noob ness but where is Virage? I tried to google it but no luck.

I am sure i could pull everything apart and start troubleshooting but as i am still in the honeymoon phase if the price was ok i would be tempted to just drop it off somewhere and have it solved.

-Passenger latch to fold seat forward to allow rear passenger does not seem to work. Pull it and the seat goes no where. Drivers side works fine.

-Fuse box cover latch is dodgy.

The fuse/relay cover in the engine bay is dodgy by design. For the seat lowering issue, there's a cable that exits behind the seat and clips onto the inside of the LHS rail (from memory). If it's disconnected the seat won't fold and move.

Congrats on the purchase and best of luck with sorting out the little niggles.

Thanks Krappy, especially for the long post with all the deets on how to fix it.

Much Appreciated.

Do you know if there is just one hose from the reservoir to the 2 pumps?

If so if that hose was broken/dissconected then it would explain why all go but no show!!

Both washer motors plug directly into the base of the reservoir at the front, so it is unlikely that the issue is there - unless of course that there is no water in the reservoir which could also explain why the motor is going but nothing comes out. But pretty sure you would have already checked that yeah? :wink:

Cheers all!!

So lets pretend i do not know what FRS stands for.. Just pretend :)

So is AP AUTOMOTIVE the place to go for an Alignment for my 172?

I am after a Road/Track dealeo.

Stu at Sydneys Spinning Wheel has always looked after the MX5 Club with alignments.

I was planning to go there but if Paul at AP knows the alignment side of things i can also ask him to fix the washer and seat perhaps.

Stu will continue to be your man, he can align anything! I really need to go and see him when I can some camber bolts.

They've arrived, Matt!

Best thing is to give Paul a call and see what he says. I'm guessing if he doesn't do alignments then he'll recommend someone that does.

• 2 weeks later...