Buying Used: 2015 Clio RS 200 Sport

alecellis

Hi all!

I am currently in the market for a new car and have been looking at a 2015 Clio RS 200 Sport ~50,000kms. For people that have experience with them is there anything that I should look out for when buying used? I have heard older Renaults have a reputation for not the best build quality but have also read they have fixed that reputation (like hyundai). I have read there can be issues with the EDC gearbox. Is there anything else i should be looking for?

Also, for anyone that owns one in Australia...what is the servicing expense like?

Thank you all in advance,

Alec

Do yourself a favor and get a Phase 2 Trophy (that's the one with the checkered flag style day/fog lights). With this version the EDC problems got fixed and it also shifts a little faster.

The Phase 1 models are known to have issues with the EDC and sometimes have problems with the power output (not reaching the advertized 200hp).

I'd agree but mine (MY 2013) is perfect in regards to gear box.

Are you referring to people who have had theirs dynoed, that it doesn't match advertised power?

Do yourself a favor and get a Phase 2 Trophy (that's the one with the checkered flag style day/fog lights). With this version the EDC problems got fixed and it also shifts a little faster.
The Phase 1 models are known to have issues with the EDC and sometimes have problems with the power output (not reaching the advertized 200hp).

8 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Hi and welcome!

Is this repost? Seems very familiar. If you're nearby (I'm in the Illawarra) and want to drive mine to compare, let me know.
They're great cars.
Also let us know where you are so we can recommend a mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection.

No not a repost haha and I am in Brisbane, but thank you for the offer.

7 minutes ago, Marsch said:

I would - but unfortunately, the phase 2 trophy is out of my budget. One of the reasons the RS 200 Sport appealed so much was i could get one just within my budget and still have a car that was a little sporty.

I would - but unfortunately, the phase 2 trophy is out of my budget. One of the reasons the RS 200 Sport appealed so much was i could get one just within my budget and still have a car that was a little sporty.
@No152 has a Clio IV cup (or at least his boss does!) and can comment on mechanics they recommend up that way.

If you are down my way feel free to have a drive! There are direct flights from Brisbane to Albion park nowadays.

I have a Megane III which has been on the track quite a bit now and hadn't missed a beat. It hasn't even developed a rattle, which is more than can be said about a few Mercedes my parents have had.

The Clio IV I have hasn't been on track yet, but mechanically it's been great. Usual French interior build issues such as my Bluetooth being patchy, some minor rattles.

Gear box - just check that the update has been done. Renault dealers and the Renault Australia helpline are very helpful in informing you of all that stuff. But driving it will help you figure it out - even after 80000km mine doesn't slip or anything. Compare that to the DSG and power shift gear boxes I've driven... It's practically perfect.

Do a launch control start too whilst you're test driving it.

Do you have a link to the ad so we can comment if there's any helpful feedback we can give.

I know that some don't have the issue but there are enough reports about Phase 1 cars EDC hick-ups. This seems to be especially prevalent at lower speeds when entering a round about for example. In some cases the EDC simply doesn't gets into gear. Seems like the EDC can't decide which gear it wants which can result in you sitting there without any propulsion which can be quite dangerous. I've also heard about problems related to the gearbox temperature. We had one C4RS throwing a failure during a tour which resulted in the car jumping into emergency mode which means it had to creep home with ~30 km/h.

We've some people here that have the problem with the low power output. One of them is a Renault mechanic and they're trying to find out and fix the issue together with Renault Sport but so far without much luck. Quite some parts got exchanged and various software iterations have been tested without success. Some cars simply seem to be melones.

@alecellis: Get a proper Phase 2 C3RS. It's the much better package in my book.

Edited by Marsch

13 minutes ago, Marsch said:

I know that some don't have the issue but there are enough reports about Phase 1 cars EDC hick-ups. This seems to be especially prevalent at lower speeds when entering a round about for example. In some cases the EDC simply doesn't gets into gear. Seems like the EDC can't decide which gear it wants which can result in you sitting there without any propulsion which can be quite dangerous. I've also heard about problems related to the gearbox temperature. We had one C4RS throwing a failure during a tour which resulted in the car jumping into emergency mode which means it had to creep home with ~30 km/h.

We've some people here that have the problem with the low power output. One of them is a Renault mechanic and they're trying to find out and fix the issue together with Renault Sport but so far without much luck. Quite some parts got exchanged and various software iterations have been tested without success. Some cars simply seem to be melones.

@alecellis: Get a proper Phase 2 C3RS. It's the much better package in my book.

Are these issues really common? or do you have to be unlucky to get a lemon like that

Like always you'll mainly hear the voices of the people that have problems while the ones without any will stay mostly silent. We've a thread called "Leistungsverlust" (loss of power) over at cliors.de. It has 49 pages by now. You decide if there's an issue or not. :wink:

14 minutes ago, Marsch said:

Like always you'll mainly hear the voices of the people that have problems while the ones without any will stay mostly silent. We've a thread called "Leistungsverlust" (loss of power) over at cliors.de. It has 49 pages by now. You decide if there's an issue or not. :wink:

Hmmm, yes - I hear what you're saying. The Renault would be a luxury in my situation and I cant really afford issues :( I think I will get something else for this reason. Thank you all for your help <3 

I'm sorry to hear that but with such cars you should always have some extra change in your pockets. I've my 6 year inspection next month and I'm already at 1.500,- € after some hard negotiations. Standard would be ~1.8k.

No interest in an older Clio RS? They're great and reliable cars.

47 minutes ago, Marsch said:

I know that some don't have the issue but there are enough reports about Phase 1 cars EDC hick-ups. This seems to be especially prevalent at lower speeds when entering a round about for example.

I love it when people who dont own or drive a C4RS proclaim to know all about owning one.

OP: here is some more pertinent owner feedback to the same question:

Edited by stromlo

I'm just reporting what I know and I'm following this topic quite closely. I've even talked personally to the Renault mechanic who has this issue last month. His car is basically the test car for Renault at the moment. But yes...I'm just talking out of my arse, sure.

35 minutes ago, Marsch said:

I'm just reporting what I know and I'm following this topic quite closely. I've even talked personally to the Renault mechanic who has this issue last month. His car is basically the test car for Renault at the moment. But yes...I'm just talking out of my arse, sure.

Refering to some 49 pages thread nobody here can read due to language differences is meaningless - the squeaky wheel always makes the most noise and it could be that a handful of owners there got monday morning cars (which is unfortunate of course). It ignores the hundreds of others who havent, yet you make it sound like Ford Econoshift PTII. Renotech here havent made any noise about it, so I'm judging it by the Australian level of "severity" which seems to indicate it is not something systematic as you infer, but rather particular to unlucky indivduals. That is not to make like of those who do have some issues, I hope they all get it sorted to their satisfaction, but hyping it up is questionable.

I have a 2015 Clio Sport and it is just about to go in for its 50000 klm service and other than he Bluetooth dropping out occasionally has been  a very reliable and rewarding car to own. Cannot  think of another that I would choose in stead and I still have  almost 2.5 years of warranty left.Great little car and just so rewarding to drive,EDC gives best of both worlds,great as an auto around town  bit amazingly responsive when used as a manual.

Hmmm, yes - I hear what you're saying. The Renault would be a luxury in my situation and I cant really afford issues [emoji20] I think I will get something else for this reason. Thank you all for your help
A 2015 (check build and compliance date) will have warranty until 2020.

Services are pretty reasonable in my opinion, Marsch is in Germany, best to get Australian prices. My most recent Clio IV service cost $700 only due to the number of filters that needed replacing. That's pretty reasonable.

I think an important question is what else are you considering?

22 minutes ago, Marsch said:

@stromlo: Go to post #11 and read what I've said there. If you think that the few C4RS you've down there are of any relevance as sample mass compared to the thousands driving around in Germany alone then I can't help you.

Cheers, there was me thinking Australia is one of the biggest markets for RS'. /s 

This discussion becomes to dramatic. Some of the forum members (including me) experienced false neutrals. The issue has been rectified by gearbox re calibration in my case. There were no reports of loosing power at high speeds on the freeway as it was the case with VWs. Interestingly enough I haven't seen similar issues reported on UK forums. If it was such a large scale it would be picked up by English and Australian jurnos. They love to bash French cars. So, IMO there is no big issue here.

2 hours ago, chuckovski said:

A 2015 (check build and compliance date) will have warranty until 2020.

Services are pretty reasonable in my opinion, Marsch is in Germany, best to get Australian prices. My most recent Clio IV service cost $700 only due to the number of filters that needed replacing. That's pretty reasonable.

I think an important question is what else are you considering?

Basically something small and practical for city driving but also something that can be a little fun. Clio RS 200 Sport, Audi A1 (more class then fun), Ford Fiesta ST etc. 

4 hours ago, alecellis said:

Good price...don't worry about negative comments. Any car new or old can have issues and you still have a couple of years warranty left. I have never had any real dramas with mine...

1 minute ago, chris043 said:

Good price...don't worry about negative comments. Any car new or old can have issues and you still have a couple of years warranty left. I have never had any real dramas with mine...

Thanks Chris, to be perfectly honest i hadnt looked into how long the warranty lasts and to hear the warranty still has a while left put my mind at easy a little

33 minutes ago, alecellis said:

Basically something small and practical for city driving but also something that can be a little fun. Clio RS 200 Sport, Audi A1 (more class then fun), Ford Fiesta ST etc. 

I don't know lots of people with Audis but the older ones that have been owned by friends (I presume it would be relatively old) develop very expensive problems, far more $$$ than you'll ever look at with Renault

Yes the Fiesta ST is definitely an option; usually you're paying a lot more though for less doors (if you want more) and a less expensive gearbox on the second hand market. Manual, if you don't do lots of traffic, is always my preferred option. It will have less warranty left too, and from what I've heard Ford and Ford dealers are amongst the worst to deal with, though mind you I can't comment from first hand experience. 

I should also mention that the Clio has a timing chain, and the engine is a Nissan one. This is relevant because I imagine Marsch's expensive service was related to timing belts, which won't ever be a cost with the Clio. 

I'm a big big fan of the car, and for someone who has a Megane III RS which is more hard core and more up Marsch's alley, is saying something. I've also owned that car for coming up to three years now, and I'm very happy with it. I've yet to own the Clio for a year but still happy with it. 

I would say how important it is to make sure the one you're looking at is a good example though - you can buy the most reliable car that has been severely abused that will break down the second you hop into it. So make sure you get a very good mechanic to look it over, and call up Renault Australia as well as wherever they say they serviced it. 

Edited by chuckovski
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, stromlo said:

Cheers, there was me thinking Australia is one of the biggest markets for RS'. /s 

You get/sell about 3000 Clio 4 a year of which 1/4 are RS if the numbers I found are correct. In Germany about 2000 Clio 4 get registered each month and if only 1/10 are RS...you'll get the picture. An other example would be that Germany gets 400 R.S.18 while you get 10.

11 hours ago, eight said:

This discussion becomes to dramatic. Some of the forum members (including me) experienced false neutrals. The issue has been rectified by gearbox re calibration in my case. There were no reports of loosing power at high speeds on the freeway as it was the case with VWs. Interestingly enough I haven't seen similar issues reported on UK forums. If it was such a large scale it would be picked up by English and Australian jurnos. They love to bash French cars. So, IMO there is no big issue here.

I know that some issues can get fixed by adjusting the "pressure ratio" but that has nothing to do with the "getting into gear" problems I mentioned but rather with some strange noises comming out of the drive train or a slipping clutch (feeling). That's at least what I got. What I also got is that more than just one person had the "round about issue" I mentioned above.

About the power loss.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/renault-clio-4-rs-200-with-16-liter-turbo-actually-makes-181-hp-video-99092.html

Just because it's not on here or the UK forums doesn't means the problem doesn't exists. Besides that I doubt that even half of the people will actually notice the difference between 160, 180 or 200 THP. Not to talk about that the issue isn't always prevalent and can be an on/off thing depending on driving style and other circumstances like temperatures.

Like said it's a known issue and I've talked to somebody working at a Renault dealer who has a Phase 1 with exactly this problem in person just last month. It's nothing only existing in my imagination.

As far as I am aware, all edc updates with faster shift, updated software, shorter paddle travel etc, were included in the phase 1 trophy. Some good prices around for these. Interestingly as of September 2015 Australia was taking about 10% of the world wide production of RS Clio's. Pretty sure I read recently that Australia is the 3rd largest market for RS in the world after France and Germany, at one point it was number 2. Be careful with Audi, nice cars but .......

• Like 1

On 30/04/2018 at 9:19 PM, R17G said:

Pretty sure I read recently that Australia is the 3rd largest market for RS in the world after France and Germany, at one point it was number 2

Surely the UK would be a huge market? They got the 172 Cup, 182 Cup and 182 Trophy...

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, vaughan said:

Surely the UK would be a huge market? They got the 172 Cup, 182 Cup and 182 Trophy...

Yes surprising, I would have thought so too.

"Australia is an important market for Renault Sport globally," he said. "We rank consistently in the top five [for sales] and on previous-generation Megane we were, for a couple of years, the second-largest market after the domestic market [France], so, we're well known and loved by them and equally we love them back." Justin Hocevar  July 6 2017      https://www.themotorreport.com.au/car-review/renault-megane-rs-prioritised-for-australia-alpine-still-unsure-86881.html

1 hour ago, R17G said:

...on previous-generation Megane we were, for a couple of years, the second-largest market after the domestic market

That'd be right for Meganes. Aussies bought all the the yellow ones. :lol:

Edited by vaughan
  • Like 1

^That's a lie!

wQ0JMUj.jpg

:lol:

On a more serious note. Here are the official world wide sales numbers for 2017 (starts on page 14).

https://group.renault.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/march-2018-edition-facts-figures.pdf

It isn't differentiating between RS and none RS models but it should put the sizes of the markets and the numbers in perspective.

But that’s exactly the point: Australians seem(ed) to buy RS models as much higher proportion of all Renault sales than other countries. It surprises me each time I travel to Europe how few RS models I see, whereas it’s a daily occurrence here.

• Like 2

I see more RS Clio IIs than non-RS Clios, in fact the standard variety are relatively rare here in my experience. I see hardly any Clio IIIs at all (notably I passed a Blue Gordini with white stripes near St Ives last week). However am seeing more non-RS Clio IVs than RSs. At least I think, its hard to tell with them all being 5 doors.

I see more RS Clio IIs than non-RS Clios, in fact the standard variety are relatively rare here in my experience. I see hardly any Clio IIIs at all (notably I passed a Blue Gordini with white stripes near St Ives last week). However am seeing more non-RS Clio IVs than RSs. At least I think, its hard to tell with them all being 5 doors.
You can tell RS from the non RS by the rectangular running lights at the front and diffuser at the back. Most of the non RS also have round fog lights which are absent from RS

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ttimbo said:

But that’s exactly the point: Australians seem(ed) to buy RS models as much higher proportion of all Renault sales than other countries. It surprises me each time I travel to Europe how few RS models I see, whereas it’s a daily occurrence here.

I've already adressed this with the "1 out of 4" comment somewhere above.

I've posted this because I just found these numbers and think they're interesting, show the size of the respective markets and put the whole thing a bit more into perspective.

That’s all history and no longer relevant. In the future, it seems we’ll all be i30N or A.nother, here...given Renault Australia sales and marketing management is seeking to prove it is, actually, dumber than a box of hammers! [emoji6][emoji23]

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 29/04/2018 at 4:22 PM, Marsch said:

Digging up an old post but was wondering if they ever got to the bottom of the EDC not letting the car produce the full power output? I think mine has starting doing this intermittently

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rs20 said:

Digging up an old post but was wondering if they ever got to the bottom of the EDC not letting the car produce the full power output? I think mine has starting doing this intermittently

The person you quoted has been banging on about shifting issues for years. Yet mose other Mk4 owners I know have never had the issues he describes. It appeared in the early modles (2013-14) but a software update fixed that. I doubt the guy even owns one. But he keeps going on about lost drive through roundabouts…. 

The EDC limits torque in low gears to save the clutch. You arent in first gear very long so bo one notices

Edited by Deet

27 minutes ago, Deet said:

The person you quoted has been banging on about shifting issues for years. Yet mose other Mk4 owners I know have never had the issues he describes. It appeared in the early modles (2013-14) but a software update fixed that. I doubt the guy even owns one. But he keeps going on about lost drive through roundabouts…. 

The EDC limits torque in low gears to save the clutch. You arent in first gear very long so bo one notices

I might need to get Renault to check if the update has been applied to mine? What I experienced is the opposite. First gear seems fine and reaching full power but 2nd gear onwards is limiting power. Car is flat and boost gauge showing low boost. Also driving in manual mode in a high gear at low rpm, it will automatically downshift when I put my foot down. This has never happened before. Car is tuned and driven hard on the track multiple times and never missed a bit until this started happening yesterday. Might need to take it to a specialist?

4 hours ago, Rs20 said:

I might need to get Renault to check if the update has been applied to mine? What I experienced is the opposite. First gear seems fine and reaching full power but 2nd gear onwards is limiting power. Car is flat and boost gauge showing low boost. Also driving in manual mode in a high gear at low rpm, it will automatically downshift when I put my foot down. This has never happened before. Car is tuned and driven hard on the track multiple times and never missed a bit until this started happening yesterday. Might need to take it to a specialist?

That isnt the gearbox 

if it is a 2015 or later it has the gearbox update. If it has ever been serviced at a Renault dealership and they plugged in their diagnostics it would have updated the gearbox

it would be very rare to find a car that doesn’t have the update

Edited by Deet

6 hours ago, Rs20 said:

Yes mate this has been happening to me ever since i got the car. I find it usually does this when you accidently downshift into the wrong gear resulting in the gearbox having a little fit and protecting itself by torque limiting. Boost won't come back until the engine cools down and resets overnight, then drive it in normal mode and the boost should come back. Insanely annoying but I think this could potentially be tuned out by removing the gearbox protection limits.