New Twingo Owner :)

ClioF1

Most of the new members wouldn't know me, but I'm a Renault owner again, I picked up a Twingo this evening.

It's not an RS unfortunately, but it has more torque than an RS. It's the 1.5 dCi model.

With a tune it actually has more torque than a Clio IV RS, which is great in a car that weighs 955kg :)

The car is a one owner car with dealer service history and nearly every option ticked - it has cruise/speed limiter, alloys, climate control, 6 airbags and a panorama sunroof.

Unfortunately the weather has turned really cold and rainy here, so proper pics will take a few weeks. Snow started falling this week in the south of Holland.

Here are the pics from the for sale ad:

$_85-3.JPG

$_85-2.JPG

$_85-4.JPG

$_85-5.JPG

$_85-6.JPG

$_85-9.JPG

$_85-7.JPG

$_85-8.JPG

Anthony

Twingos are cool. Do those back seats just lift out? 

Not sure, they might, I'll have to check.

I know they tilt and slide forward/back individually. They didn't come on the base model, the base has a single folding rear seat without the slide adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuaMfI8gGw

This link shows how they work, it's pretty cool they fold into the footwell area!

Cool car!

Don't get me started on my panel van stories R182...  :rofl:

:news:

If it's rocking....   hahahahaha

That Twingo looks pretty cool. Good pickup ClioF1  :mrgreen:

My bad...   :roll:

Congrats! I'm still waiting to see a Ducati though :)

That's next. Part of the appeal of the Twingo is the cheap running costs, good handling, and anonymity - it's going to be parked on the street.

I'm starting a new job next month, after that I'll find a garage and start building my collection of vehicles :wink:

I have a 2 wheeled vehicle in my basement but it's a retro moped. Does 60km/h - which is a bit naughty when it's registered for 45.

Cool little car. 2008-2010 model? AC buttons are from same parts bin as the Clio III.

The tacho almost looks aftermarket

11/2011, they released the facelift in 2/2012, but I prefer the Phase 1. The rear just looks wrong on the facelift. Part of the reason I also don't like the facelift is they deleted the tacho!

That's next. Part of the appeal of the Twingo is the cheap running costs, good handling, and anonymity - it's going to be parked on the street.

I'm starting a new job next month, after that I'll find a garage and start building my collection of vehicles :wink:

I have a 2 wheeled vehicle in my basement but it's a retro moped. Does 60km/h - which is a bit naughty when it's registered for 45.

Love it - no helmet and on the bike paths no doubt...?  Could not believe it when I saw that in Amsterdam.  Zillions of bicycles on the dedicated bike paths, getting carved up by scooter riders, without helmets being worn.  Not required apparently if it is "only" a scooter that is under 50cc and travels on the bike ways.

No helmets on bicycle riders either.

Very progressive the Dutch.  Imagine that idea getting a gong in the Nanny states here?  :44:

Love it - no helmet and on the bike paths no doubt...?  Could not believe it when I saw that in Amsterdam.  Zillions of bicycles on the dedicated bike paths, getting carved up by scooter riders, without helmets being worn.  Not required apparently if it is "only" a scooter that is under 50cc and travels on the bike ways.

No helmets on bicycle riders either.

Very progressive the Dutch.  Imagine that idea getting a gong in the Nanny states here?  :44:

It depends on your registration category. My 'brommer' has a yellow plate, so you need a helmet, I mean doing 60 km/h there is no way I would ride without a helmet. However, it's a mix of road and bicycle paths, depending on signage.

My scooter has a blue plate so you don't wear a helmet. It is meant to go 25 km/h but mine will do 38 on a flat stretch or 45-50 momentarily downhill. I feel that's about the limit for no helmet, anything more and you're pretty much dead if you fall off.

It's funny I saw little to no accidents in the first 18 months living here, but in the last month quite a few. You really have to be careful, but they say there is no safer country to ride a bike than here. So much infrastructure to support it and literally every car driver started with a bicycle riding to school everyday from the age of 5, so there is a lot of respect on the road.

It depends on your registration category. My 'brommer' has a yellow plate, so you need a helmet, I mean doing 60 km/h there is no way I would ride without a helmet. However, it's a mix of road and bicycle paths, depending on signage.

My scooter has a blue plate so you don't wear a helmet. It is meant to go 25 km/h but mine will do 38 on a flat stretch or 45-50 momentarily downhill. I feel that's about the limit for no helmet, anything more and you're pretty much dead if you fall off.

It's funny I saw little to no accidents in the first 18 months living here, but in the last month quite a few. You really have to be careful, but they say there is no safer country to ride a bike than here. So much infrastructure to support it and literally every car driver started with a bicycle riding to school everyday from the age of 5, so there is a lot of respect on the road.

I was astounded when in Amsterdam a few years back with the narrow streets, cobbled roads, buses, cars, bicycles, scooters and pedestrians all going every which way, but, as you say, they understand it and it all just works.  A great place!  And good infrastructure to provide some separation of the modes, but respect and courtesy within to make it all workable.

Enjoy the Twingo, it will be good to hear the feedback as they are just a bit of a theory for most of us here in Aus, never having seen one myself, let alone driven or owned one. 

I'll be in NL in Jan :D

Always had a soft spot for the Twingo. The PH1 is an odd thing to look at, but meant to be a great car from all accounts. Surprisingly, you still see a fair few out on the roads! 

Cool car!

That's great ... converts it into a little panel van. :)

Don't get me started on my panel van stories R182...  :rofl:

:news:

This is what mine looked like.  8)

21554238053_ec155b0442_n.jpg

Where are the bubble windows and "Sandman" decals?  And why is it not orange...?  :rofl:

Oh, that's right... I'm not supposed to get you started on the panel van stories...  :popcorn:

Where are the bubble windows and "Sandman" decals?  And why is it not orange...?  :rofl:

Oh, that's right... I'm not supposed to get you started on the panel van stories...  :popcorn:

Well there was this girl...... :news:

• Like 1

I'll be in NL in Jan :D

Always had a soft spot for the Twingo. The PH1 is an odd thing to look at, but meant to be a great car from all accounts. Surprisingly, you still see a fair few out on the roads!

Nice, it's going to be quite cold then. I'll be in Aus :)

You mean Twingo 1?

The original was a bit weird looking but super common here. A lot of them have the cloth sunroof but not so many on Twingo 2.

Hmm ... well that panel van didn't pop up in the 'members previous rides' thread ... what else are you hiding back there? 

Hmm ... well that panel van didn't pop up in the 'members previous rides' thread ... what else are you hiding back there? 

I'll need a few more bits of paper to list all my previous cars - there have been about 80 of them... but sadly, no orange Sandman panel van in that sordid past...  :44:

After driving the car for 2 days, I can't get over how well it handles and how much feel you get through the steering and chassis. The almost 150kg weight reduction compared to my old 182 Cup makes it so responsive.

Outright it's not that quick but with short bursts of diesel torque out of corners, perfectly positioned pedals, and similar handling to a Clio II, it's so much fun. It actually handles for an eco friendly city car.

After driving the car for 2 days, I can't get over how well it handles and how much feel you get through the steering and chassis. The almost 150kg weight reduction compared to my old 182 Cup makes it so responsive.

Outright it's not that quick but with short bursts of diesel torque out of corners, perfectly positioned pedals, and similar handling to a Clio II, it's so much fun. It actually handles for an eco friendly city car.

Responsible irresponsibility.... I like it! :)

After spending the last 3 days on the Autobahn and flying through the mountains above the Rhine valley in Germany, I have to say it's an amazing little car. Easily does 180 km/h, with more in it, but I kept hitting traffic. Didn't have to pull over for anyone to be honest, it kept going strong even up hills.

The chassis balance is amazing, it's a shorter wheelbase than a 1*2, so it's very lively. On the 185 tyres it wheel spins a bit in the wet but it's actually quick through the tight stuff for a diesel. It just needs better brake pads, it's so easy to cook the standard ones.

The suspension although a little soft is tuned pretty well from the factory. The dampers even after 68k on the clock work great.

After spending the last 3 days on the Autobahn and flying through the mountains above the Rhine valley in Germany, I have to say it's an amazing little car. Easily does 180 km/h, with more in it, but I kept hitting traffic. Didn't have to pull over for anyone to be honest, it kept going strong even up hills.

The chassis balance is amazing, it's a shorter wheelbase than a 1*2, so it's very lively. On the 185 tyres it wheel spins a bit in the wet but it's actually quick through the tight stuff for a diesel. It just needs better brake pads, it's so easy to cook the standard ones.

The suspension although a little soft is tuned pretty well from the factory. The dampers even after 68k on the clock work great.

Does that mean some in car footage around the 'Ring might be on the cards soon...?   :popcorn:

Does that mean some in car footage around the 'Ring might be on the cards soon...?   :popcorn:

Well this car won't be hitting the ring, it would be ridiculously slow on a track and it's my daily. Eventually yes, my German mate and I have been planning a trip there for some time.

Well this car won't be hitting the ring, it would be ridiculously slow on a track and it's my daily. Eventually yes, my German mate and I have been planning a trip there for some time.

Woohoo - The 'Ring loves white Meganes apparently...   :mrgreen:   Enjoy when you get there.  Will look forward to hearing about that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a bit mental now around town, you don't feel like it's going that quick, but I'm always doing 80 in a 50 without trying. Not good with so many speed cameras around.

Have only tried it with my winter tyres on, which are pretty grippy. It's weird it hardly wheelspins because you don't need revs to launch it (1500rpm is fine). It drives like my cammed SS ute did actually! Just without power up top.

It was a local tuner. Henk wasn't interested :(