Frustrated owner

TeeTee

Hey guys, 

So I pre-ordered my tonic orange RS280 back in 2019. I've been really happy with it until about a few months ago when an error message popped up saying "check power steering". 

5 trips to Renault service centres, and seems NOONE can work out the issue. 

They eventually sent me to Renault 1 hour away, where they had their "master engineer". Still baffled. 

So here is the run around.

The error message only comes on when I hit 65kph, and disappears when I slow down to about 20kpm. 

They first told me it was my battery. Hundreds of dollars later, the error was still there. They ran multiple diagnostics, got an error message, did a "reset" and they said it was fixed. I drove the car home. 10 mins into the drive, error message came back! 

Next, they did a "hard reset" and reset the whole software and computer unit... whatever that means. Didn't fix sh*t. So 5 trips later, I still have no God damn idea what to do. 

They have now said to me that it must be my tyres. My back two tyres are different brands to my front two. They said if I change them, maybe the steering error message will go if the sensors are sensitive enough and can detect that the tyres are not the same. 

Is this worth it? That's $$$$$$ on tyres that may not even fix the issue. What tyre brands are we recommended to have? 

Can anyone guide me as to what it could be? It's driving me nuts

IMG_20190523_141642_1~4.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, fellow Meg IV owner here.

First off, is the car still under warranty? Either way, might be worth a visit to RenoTech in Hornsby to diagnose the issue, they are the best in the business. If they find the issue they normally write up a report which you can hand to your dealer.

Which dealers have you visited? Send me a pm if you prefer, as I can guide you a bit here with a touch of insider knowledge.

The tyre excuse is bulldust, ideally all corners should be the same, but as long as tyres match across each axle, you're fine.

The phase 1's do suffer from some electrical gremlins and I've seen reports of the same intermittent error on the RS280/300 FB Group. Fixes included new battery, power steering sensor, wiring loom etc... All electrical.

18 hours ago, SLUGGO33X said:

Welcome to the forum, fellow Meg IV owner here.

First off, is the car still under warranty? Either way, might be worth a visit to RenoTech in Hornsby to diagnose the issue, they are the best in the business. If they find the issue they normally write up a report which you can hand to your dealer.

Which dealers have you visited? Send me a pm if you prefer, as I can guide you a bit here with a touch of insider knowledge.

The tyre excuse is bulldust, ideally all corners should be the same, but as long as tyres match across each axle, you're fine.

The phase 1's do suffer from some electrical gremlins and I've seen reports of the same intermittent error on the RS280/300 FB Group. Fixes included new battery, power steering sensor, wiring loom etc... All electrical.

Thank you. I'll give Renotech a call and see what they say. 

It is still under warranty. 

I've been to Renault at Castle Hill, who then sent me to the master engineer at Artarmon.

5 hours ago, TeeTee said:

Thank you. I'll give Renotech a call and see what they say. 

It is still under warranty. 

I've been to Renault at Castle Hill, who then sent me to the master engineer at Artarmon.

Ok, I was going to suggest Artarmon.

See how you go with RenoTech.

• 3 months later...

***UPDATE***

So after going to Renotech, they diagnosed the fault within one hour, and said that the rear steering rack was faulty and needed to be replaced. That the rear wheels had too much "give" and must've been setting the power steering sensor off. 

I took their written diagnostic report to Renault Chatswood- who told me they were refusing to do anything suggested by an external company and were "disappointed" that I hadn't listened to them and changed all 4 tyres as they instructed. 

So they cornered me. I changed tyres reluctantly. Money in the bin. Error message still there. 

I took it back to Chatswood for the 5th time. They had no choice but to change my steering rack. And VOILA! FUCKING FIXED. 

So guys... to save you from 834 visits to Renault in the future- if it says "check power steering" it could be the steering rack! Not the tyres! Save your $.

Thank you for suggesting Renotech. This forum put me in the right direction. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, TeeTee said:

So they cornered me. I changed tyres reluctantly. Money in the bin. Error message still there. 

I took it back to Chatswood for the 5th time. They had no choice but to change my steering rack. And VOILA! FUCKING FIXED. 

Did you get something it writing that the issue would be fixed if you had 4 of the same tyres? I’d be asking for them to compensate you for the cock about.

what tyres did you get btw? Potenza sports are normally 25% off and they rip

• Like 1

This is both a relief to read and a very upsetting story. I don't blame you if you just close it off and move on but I hope you get something for your suffering and having to deal with those pigheaded fools. All the best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TeeTee said:

***UPDATE***

So after going to Renotech, they diagnosed the fault within one hour, and said that the rear steering rack was faulty and needed to be replaced. That the rear wheels had too much "give" and must've been setting the power steering sensor off. 

I took their written diagnostic report to Renault Chatswood- who told me they were refusing to do anything suggested by an external company and were "disappointed" that I hadn't listened to them and changed all 4 tyres as they instructed. 

So guys... to save you from 834 visits to Renault in the future- if it says "check power steering" it could be the steering rack! Not the tyres! Save your $.

Thank you for suggesting Renotech. This forum put me in the right direction. 

Glad you got a result. I’d be really on them for a refund on those four tyres! That’s some complete bs. Nothing like an honest google and facebook review if they don’t play ball. 

Edited by Docmattic
  • Like 1

Mismatched tyres is never a good idea, and particularly so on performance vehicles, so you've done yourself a favour with a new full set.

For the record, I had an extremely positive warranty experience at Renault Chatswood, same centre you visited.