Advice for a guy with a written off Megane RS

Cakemaker

Hi All, First time poster - I managed to place my '19 RS280 into the wall at Lakeside on the weekend... None too gently either. 

At this point it's never going drive again - the body has done a fantastic job of ensuring I walked away with little more than a sore neck. 

Been doing the wrecking circuit today, as its a low volume car finding it very challenging to generate any value from it. 

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences or advice on moving what remains of my poor Megane on? The body is a mess, but the engine bay didn't take the hit, and remains straight - and the engine looks to have largely survived. 

Love to hear your thoughts!

-Simon

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Cakemaker said:

Hi All, First time poster - I managed to place my '19 RS280 into the wall at Lakeside on the weekend... None too gently either. 

At this point it's never going drive again - the body has done a fantastic job of ensuring I walked away with little more than a sore neck. 

Been doing the wrecking circuit today, as its a low volume car finding it very challenging to generate any value from it. 

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences or advice on moving what remains of my poor Megane on? The body is a mess, but the engine bay didn't take the hit, and remains straight - and the engine looks to have largely survived. 

Love to hear your thoughts!

-Simon

It really depends on what you want out of it. With it being binned at a race track, Insurance wont touch unless you have an amazing insurance company.

Buying the car back and parting it out could be beneficial financially, but that's an initial financial burden you might not want. I've done that with cars before and thankfully i've come out on top as have others, however, that was a particularly unique car.

That being said, I'd be interested if it had the Alcantara interior :) 

Good luck regardless. I can't imagine what it's like to walk away from your pride and joy after an racing mishap. 

Why would he have to buy the car back if the insurance won't cover it anyway? Surely insurance company just says 'so long sucker' and leaves you with the twisted mess. 

OP: there are no doubt valuable and salvageable parts of your car - especially given its likely to have low kms. 

The problem is more that the 280 wasn't a huge seller and also isn't that old so the parts market wouldnt be anywhere near that of a Meg 3 or Clio 2/3. Anyway, worth a shot. 

Mate that sucks.  The white one? I saw photos of that over the weekend, glad to hear you walked away largely unscathed (keep an eye on any lingering neck pain though).

Parting out will take a while as it's still so new.  I don't really have much advice, sorry.

2 minutes ago, andywk said:

Mate that sucks.  The white one? I saw photos of that over the weekend, glad to hear you walked away largely unscathed (keep an eye on any lingering neck pain though).

Parting out will take a while as it's still so new.  I don't really have much advice, sorry.

Yeah! That was mine! First and foremost, it did an incredible job of protecting me - and whilst its a mess of bodywork now, Im not unaware of the reason for that... and that was to protect me :)

• Like 1

Its if you have the ability to store it, pull it apart and ship the parts and all over if you can be arse to do that.

But if it's your car, I'd do it. I had a 156 GTA that i binned and parted out. It was a crap situation but it was nice knowing that other members of the Alfisti community got my parts to make their cars better. 

I wonder how easy it is to retrofit the bose?

1 minute ago, Pokinacha said:

Its if you have the ability to store it, pull it apart and ship the parts and all over if you can be arse to do that.

But if it's your car, I'd do it. I had a 156 GTA that i binned and parted out. It was a crap situation but it was nice knowing that other members of the Alfisti community got my parts to make their cars better. 

I wonder how easy it is to retrofit the bose?

Yeah, Its an option - and certainly a great way to meet much of the community. How did you do it? List it up on a forum?

Sounds like the interior could be a quick seller, but I don't how difficult it is to retrofit to earlier models.

I put up a post yesterday searching for a single 19" Megane rim so I can get rid of the Spacesaver spare on my RS250 (I think they're interchangeable between the different series), you might be able to offload remaining wheels that way (looks like only the pax side survived?)

Cheers and welcome BTW.

6 minutes ago, Cakemaker said:

Yeah, Its an option - and certainly a great way to meet much of the community. How did you do it? List it up on a forum?

Yeah exactly. I got my mechanic to strip it of decent parts for a fee and they stored the shell and big parts while i found buyers. There was a guy on the ausalfa.com forum who was adamant that he sold a bunch of stuff to Japan and that it made him bulk money but there was no evidence of this. So if it was me, list a sales post, stick them on ebay and gumtree and be prepared to wait. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the accident Simon.  If you are up for it, a description of what you think went wrong, what part of the track, etc would be appreciated from those of us who frequent Lakeside.  I was there on Sunday so I assume your accident was Saturday?

1 minute ago, Caduceus said:

Sorry to hear about the accident Simon.  If you are up for it, a description of what you think went wrong, what part of the track, etc would be appreciated from those of us who frequent Lakeside.  I was there on Sunday so I assume your accident was Saturday?

Yeah it was Saturday. I'd love to explain it, however still a lot of unknowns. It was at the Kink, approached at the same speed I had in previous laps. I got a little of the bumpiness, the rear shifted right, and I wasn't able to catch it. Retracing the corner to see tyre marks, and the rear right locked / skidded long before the others, and dragged through most of the apex,  before the rest gripped up and by then it was too late. Some say could have been a tyre, but it seems mostly intact. Also hypothesised that the bump unsettled the RWS and it stepped out. But chances are ill never really know. Wasn't a car trailing me close enough to tell me, I think.

Lots of stories from people on the day who have lost or seen cars off at the kink. Im happy to take the share of the blame - certainly better ways to approach it, but the rear end was unsettled all day, and I didn't respect it or listen to it. If anyone did see it, love to hear where it went wrong. Its the not knowing that causes so much doubt!

• Thanks 1

Sorry about your mishap.. but glad you live to drive another day! 

Never been to lakeside but that looks like a fast kink and the type of corner where the suspension and tyres/ tyre temps should be well sorted to minimize  rear end issues.

All the best!

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about this. Was the day competitive? Not sure if you want to go there but I have seen Insurance payout on days deemed "Driver Training".

Apart from that probably going to come down to being realistic about the value of the remains. If you have the inclination to pull it apart and flog bits yourself there's probably more in it, but if you want to sell as a whole it's likely less valuable.

I've purchased a few W/O's from the Auctions so can probably give a reasonable opinion on values, happy to chat privately if it helps you out.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry to hear of the accident, but glad you have minimal injuries, although I would suggest you follow up on the neck injury. 😥

Sounds like, if you have the inclination and the facilities to part it out, that's probably the way to minimise your costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

27 minutes ago, cairnsy said:

Yeah, sorry to hear of the accident, but glad you have minimal injuries, although I would suggest you follow up on the neck injury. 😥

Sounds like, if you have the inclination and the facilities to part it out, that's probably the way to minimise your costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you! Yes, if I can break it down it looks like the beet return. 

I am booked in tomorrow for follow up check on my shoulder & neck too - not planning on ignoring it. 😀

8 minutes ago, DBG6 said:

Glad to hear you’re ok. Definitely worth a chat to your insurance company, just in case. Engine might fetch a bit, but I wouldn’t think it’d be a quick sale. Best of luck with the way forward.

Yeah my thoughts too, but probably a few years early for people looking for a replacement engine or gearbox. 

thanks for you support!

Sad to hear this, but at least you’re (mostly) OK. As others have said, if you have the time, patience and some storage, parting out is the way to go

• Like 1

Firstly, are you insured ?

Who has deemed it a write off, you ?

Stat write offs are selling as low as $5/6K. But the auctions can be hit and miss and prices are all over the place.

If you are not making an insurance claim and they haven’t been notified for them to deem it damaged and put it on the WOVR it’s value is slightly higher as it won’t be listed as a stat or repairable write-off when one does a PPSR on the vehicle.

If this is the case, why not fix it. For a $40K vehicle you may only get back $5K to $10K. If you fix it, in theory the vehicle is still worth $40K but it will depend on what it will cost you to return it back as a running car. As long as it’s less than $30K, which you would of lost anyway, could be an option.

Careful with your neck, as I’m suffering from whip lash injuries at present from March. Constant headaches, treatment gives me headaches, normal activities aggravate it and give me headaches and it’ll be about a year until it gets back to normal.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 63x1092 said:

If you are not making an insurance claim and they haven’t been notified for them to deem it damaged and put it on the WOVR it’s value is slightly higher as it won’t be listed as a stat or repairable write-off when one does a PPSR on the vehicle.

If this is the case, why not fix it. For a $40K vehicle you may only get back $5K to $10K. If you fix it, in theory the vehicle is still worth $40K but it will depend on what it will cost you to return it back as a running car. As long as it’s less than $30K, which you would of lost anyway, could be an option.

Thanks for this, I'll investigate it as well. It hasn't been claimed or assessed, and the on track nature of the incident is explicitly excluded in my coverage. 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to hear about that! It happens so quickly when you lose a car. Bingle insures track days if you are being instructed and going under 100 klm an hour.  That;'s the only compamy I've found. 

They are not expensive either, cheapest I found.

Edited by MeganeIII