My first Renault

Ausfez

Gentlemen... Just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I've recently taken ownership of my first Renault. After lurking the forums and reading your reviews of the mk4 Clio's I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Rs200 Cup Trophy (according to the sales docket) and so far I'm loving it as a daily driver. Being a daily, he won't be getting anything too crazy in terms of mods/power, but I have noticed a slight delay/sluggishness on the paddle shift, but nothing to write home about.

Overall, two thumbs up and big ol' smile! 

** On a side note, where would the best/trustworthy shop be to book in for a service in S.E. Melbourne? (Braeside/Frankston)

Kylo-Clio.jpg

Edited by Ausfez
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Ausfez said:

Gentlemen... Just thought pop in and introduce myself. I've recently taken ownership of my first Renault. After lurking the forums and reading your reviews of the mk4 Clio's I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Rs200 Cup Trophy (according to the sales docket) and so far I'm loving it as a daily driver. Being a daily, he won't be getting anything too crazy in terms of mods/power, but I have noticed a slight delay/sluggishness on the paddle shift, but nothing to write home about.

Overall, two thumbs up and big ol' smile! 

** On a side note, where would the best/trustworthy shop be to book in for a service in S.E. Melbourne? (Braeside/Frankston)

Kylo-Clio.jpg

Welcome to the forum - nice car.

There are a number of us, myself included, who are down Frankston way and we are looking to use The Renno Workshop in Frankston. I am going to book my 182 in for cam belts, water pump etc after this stupid lockdown finishes.

Maybe you could try them ??

Welcome.

Great looking fun cars and yours is a fantastic spec with the leather seats!

PS

I found the trick with mine was to put in the most "sporty" mode, cant remember what it was called but I think you have to press and hold a button, this sharpens everything up including the aggression of the gear changes. The Launch control is also a bit of fun. 

Edited by RallySportNZ
Added

Just now, Deet said:

Launch is limited to 1500 attempts

Assuming 5-10 years of ownership that gives you a launch every 2-3 days or so. Probably enough unless you're taking traffic light Grand Prix extremely seriously 😅

• Like 2

Sport and race mode also increase the overall horsepower the car puts out compared to “normal mode”, had this proven on a dyno when I was tuning mine. So whenever you feel like going fast be sure to put it in one of those modes 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the love guys, I have been enjoying the peppyness that Sport mode unlocks, but feel even in Sport mode the time between slapping the paddle and the actual gear change is a little delayed, would a remap in the future tweak/fix that?.

I must add the heated leather seats have definitely come in handy on these cold Melbourne mornings lately.

2 hours ago, Ausfez said:

Cheers for the love guys, I have been enjoying the peppyness that Sport mode unlocks, but feel even in Sport mode the time between slapping the paddle and the actual gear change is a little delayed, would a remap in the future tweak/fix that?.

I must add the heated leather seats have definitely come in handy on these cold Melbourne mornings lately.

Glad you're enjoying the RS, black looks great when it's just washed and polished (which you need to do pretty much every day with black cars)

A lot of people are surprised at how punchy they are and with that flat handling and those exaust burbles and pops, many claim it reminds them of discount A45 Mercs or even Alfa 4Cs;

Now onto do biggest point and the one relating to negative comments from car reviewers as well as your own - EDC and it's shift speed and responsiveness;

The shift speed of Clio's EDC is ok in sport mode (fast but with a bit of a kick) and is proper dct snappy in 'race' mode - so much so that i strongly disagree with the occasional comment from people saying DSG in VW/Audi cars of similar gen was faster - it's not;

Now where the EDC lags behind, even in race mode, is the actual responsiveness of the input (pulling the paddle) vs actual box starting to change gear - there is a definite delay; apparently this was improved greatly on Clio Trophy 220 RS but i haven't driven one yet and as far as i know, there was no software update on standard Clio's that made any difference to this input lag

Edited by Alstar

Right thanks for the heads up fellas, it's my first EDC/DSG so I wasn't sure if it was something the tuning wizards could tweak...

Looking forward to taking it out on the weekend to finally stretch the legs a bit further than 25kms 👌

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just bought an identical car in white--it's my 3rd RS  ( had a 172 ,182 cup ) ,I love it ,but due for service so little use until I get that done next week ,at Alpine  Affaire in Bayswater--I  was very happy with them for my 182