Love my Clio but....

RileysClioRS

In love with my Clio RS200, but I cant help but catch the bug of always looking for more. I have been looking at a range of different cars but im more focused on what people on this forum would consider competitors to the RS200? I thought about getting a 125i Coupe with the inline 6 or a Mistubishi ralliart but cant bring myself to make a choice. Am I insane or am i just a car guy haha

In any case, im interested to hear others opinions on why the Clio is superior or as to what the competitors are and if its worth the switch. Im open to all opinions!

Thanks guys

DSC02248.jpg

What’s your budget range? Manual/auto? Etc.

And bear in mind some cars have skyrocketed over the past 12 months, while some have only jumped a little bit...

18 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

What’s your budget range? Manual/auto? Etc.

And bear in mind some cars have skyrocketed over the past 12 months, while some have only jumped a little bit...

I would be looking for a direct swap or roughly 20k maybe 25k if it was a real good example. Most likely auto just because of the type of driving I do. Dont get a good enough chance to really enjoy a manual

There’s not much out there at that price point, especially interesting and auto. If you were going manual you could look at Clio 3s, Megane 3s or Fiesta ST. Maybe Polo Gti? 
You’ve got a nice car, with character, looks and performance. It’s hard to replace with your current parameters...

• Like 3

I don't know if Ralliart's ever improved but I coerced my wife into buying a new one in 2008 and it made it into the top 3 worst vehicles we have ever owned.

Everything about the interior was cheap and nasty, it went ok in a straight line but the noise from both motor and exhaust was so horrid it made you not want to drive it hard.

Handling was disgusting, it would wallow on change of direction like you would expect of a non-performance model and get tyre squeal at the drop of a hat.

I fitted higher grade tyres after just 1,000km's which increased grip but actually made the lack of body control even more pronounced - we sold it after approx. 9 months.

When I was buying my Clio I was also looking for a low km BMW 130i manual (don't know what the autos are like), I think they will start to increase in value in the near future, but then I have never made a dime on a single car so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to.

Edited by JCO

2 hours ago, RileysClioRS said:

In love with my Clio RS200, but I cant help but catch the bug of always looking for more. I have been looking at a range of different cars but im more focused on what people on this forum would consider competitors to the RS200? I thought about getting a 125i Coupe with the inline 6 or a Mistubishi ralliart but cant bring myself to make a choice. Am I insane or am i just a car guy haha

In any case, im interested to hear others opinions on why the Clio is superior or as to what the competitors are and if its worth the switch. Im open to all opinions!

Thanks guys

DSC02248.jpg

VW Scirocco is the only thing that comes to mind. The Clio IV is regarded as having a sharp chassis and the auto makes it a bit more of an all rounder. Also very tuneable if you want to go down that path and turn it into a giant killer on track

I'd say that RS purists go for Clio 2s, 3s and Meg 3s

If you occasionally want to shoehorn 3 in the back forget the Sirroco, only seats 4.

It is also a VW and looking dated👎  A sexy French Mademoiselle beats a German Fräulein especially when she is hot in my opinion.

I’d say go the manual path, it’s a while since I did a lot of daily inner city crawls in a manual but it’s not that bad really and the reward is definitely worth it.

• Like 2

Megane 3 RS is the obvious answer.

I've had a 130i too and it was awesome. Will be a classic in the future but feels slow compared to a modern turbo car and because the power delivery is sooooo linear.

• Like 1

Why, oh why...is there no love for the Pugs? 

A 208 GTi, if you’re on a budget...and one of the 30th anniversary editions or last run-outs in 2018, cos LSD

But better than the 208 is the 308 GTi 270 — 200kW, LSD, 1,200kg — everything and bit more that the Clio IV should have been...because manual transmission.

But, if you’re Camry inclined (like @Matt205) then the world is your ...er...(bad) oyster 😳

• Like 3

22 hours ago, RileysClioRS said:

Thanks guys

I think you've got an itch to scratch haha.

Most of the better competitors are manuals unfortunately. Fiesta ST and Pug 208 GTIs.

As for autos that really leaves you with most of the VAG stable (polo, golf, scirocco)  which I personally don't think are a match dynamically to a Clio 4.

Other options would be the R56 Mini Cooper S, Nissan Pulsar SSS (don't), Veloster Turbo (eww) Abarth 595, and probably the Alfa Guiletta. 

Never driven most of those and never was inclined to be honest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Friedchicken said:

I think you've got an itch to scratch haha.

Most of the better competitors are manuals unfortunately. Fiesta ST and Pug 208 GTIs.

As for autos that really leaves you with most of the VAG stable (polo, golf, scirocco)  which I personally don't think are a match dynamically to a Clio 4.

Other options would be the R56 Mini Cooper S, Nissan Pulsar SSS (don't), Veloster Turbo (eww) Abarth 595, and probably the Alfa Guiletta. 

Never driven most of those and never was inclined to be honest.

Good points. Automatic transmission criterion narrows the field a lot.

And anecdotally I’m not convinced that the ownership proposition of VWs and Minis is great (and apparently early years of 208 Gtis are a bit sketchy too).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, japarn said:

Good points. Automatic transmission criterion narrows the field a lot.

And anecdotally I’m not convinced that the ownership proposition of VWs and Minis is great (and apparently early years of 208 Gtis are a bit sketchy too).

Yeah from my own personal experience and my mates : Long term ownership of VAG cars is a painful regretful experience. It doesn't look like BMW Minis have it much better (at least the R51 and R53 gens)

ironically VAG/BMW/Mini owners are the first to have a dig at French cars 🤔

• Haha 1

Alfa Giulietta QVs are super cheap and have only slightly been affected by the Covids. The later models with either manual or tct aren’t a bad car, just suffer from the perception of poor quality. The 1750 in the tct is a cracking motor as the is the manual one(manual is iron block vs alloy). Not as focused as the other options but a cheap all rounder