Jump to content

First Car - RS200 :) Need suggestions!


aidan059
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all

Just picked up my 2015 RS200 Cup in Signature yellow yesterday with 50k on the clock for a bargain price! Whilst a bit late for a first car at 21, its a hell of a first car. Nothing but smiles and grins on my face driving up from Kangaroo Valley yesterday.  

Having read other posts from RS200 owner mods, I've collated a list for myself for relatively cheap/easy mods that I can get done/order over the next month or so, so would appreciate any additional suggestions I can do/add to the car.

- K&N Panel Filter

- White/Blue Headlight bulbs

- Resonator delete

- New performance brake pads/rotors (current ones are completely gone hence the low price)

- Antenna replacement (exploring possibly genuine renault sharkfin design)

- Plastidip badges black

- Armrest from ebay (seen a couple of these floating around)

- Vinyl wrap roof in black

- Hot/Cold side boost pipe replacement (airtec - for peace of mind)

- Metal footrest next to brake pedal

- Spoiler lip from ebay (forgot who it's from)

- Roof racks (for skiing in winter :) )

- Performance tyres (not sure what's on at the moment but its nothing notable)

 

More expensive mods (for down the line)

- Full koya exhaust system + tune

- Front splitter (exotic mods)

- Coilovers/lowered springs to drop suspension (particulary front I find too high)

- Replace OEM multimedia console with Aliexpress android auto console

- Potentially genuine renault spoiler however understand how costly it is (will end up costing nearly 20% of the purchase price lol) - probably not worth, are there any substitutes for this?

- Full ITG maxogen cold air intake system

 

Edit: don't worry she got a full clean inside & out and wipedown today

clio.jpg

Edited by aidan059
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice mate, please, please resist the urge to wrap the roof, seems a shame to cover up the hero colour with nasty vinyl. Likewise buck the trend an leave the badges, but your car, I just hate vinyl and plastidip.

Honestly, drive it for a bit, grow into it and wait and see what takes your fancy. Brakes of course and then good rubber, beyond that its a slippery slope!

The Aliexpress Android unit could be interesting, put one of these in my Megane 3 a while back. Did then retrofit an R-Link as I wanted the RS Monitor functions and with the addition of Android Auto gives me access to additional usable AA functionality.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Nice! If you were driving through kangaroo valley does that mean you live in the area?

Nup, was just picking it up from the previous owner there. Live around the north of Sydney. Back roads down there were a blast to test the car out though! Nearly felt like I was in the French countryside.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt205 said:

Nice mate, please, please resist the urge to wrap the roof, seems a shame to cover up the hero colour with nasty vinyl. Likewise buck the trend an leave the badges, but your car, I just hate vinyl and plastidip.

Honestly, drive it for a bit, grow into it and wait and see what takes your fancy. Brakes of course and then good rubber, beyond that its a slippery slope!

The Aliexpress Android unit could be interesting, put one of these in my Megane 3 a while back. Did then retrofit an R-Link as I wanted the RS Monitor functions and with the addition of Android Auto gives me access to additional usable AA functionality.

Noted on the vinyl, was just a potential mod down the line probably, was certainly not going to rush to it. 

I just really fancy the yellow and black combo, only reason I suggest vinyl wrap instead of paint is just cost efficiency. Would paint gloss black if i could to match a gloss black renault spoiler in an ideal world. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Nice mate, please, please resist the urge to wrap the roof, seems a shame to cover up the hero colour with nasty vinyl. Likewise buck the trend an leave the badges, but your car, I just hate vinyl and plastidip.

Honestly, drive it for a bit, grow into it and wait and see what takes your fancy. Brakes of course and then good rubber, beyond that its a slippery slope!

The Aliexpress Android unit could be interesting, put one of these in my Megane 3 a while back. Did then retrofit an R-Link as I wanted the RS Monitor functions and with the addition of Android Auto gives me access to additional usable AA functionality.

Came here to say this. Just protect it. Heck clear ppf it if that's the sole purpose (and you need something more than ceramic). Say no to wrap kids!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, aidan059 said:

Nup, was just picking it up from the previous owner there. Live around the north of Sydney. Back roads down there were a blast to test the car out though! Nearly felt like I was in the French countryside.

Well you know now why there are drive days down this way (when there's no pandemic). Give us a heads up if you come down again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

Came here to say this. Just protect it. Heck clear ppf it if that's the sole purpose (and you need something more than ceramic). Say no to wrap kids!

What's wrong with a wrap. (RAP) 🤣

I've had it for years.

Perfect paint protection I say.

AND, if the dealer installed it, it must be good.   😛

Have 3M clear wrap as well.

Looking a bit 'ordinary' after 5/7 years and due for a bit of a 'fix up' when I get a 'wild urge' to pay it a bit of attention.

I'm sure most are aware of the feeling.   😷

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome mate. Great first car!

high end performance tyres and new brakes are the go, she’ll feel much sharper!

Mate its forced induction. Best bang for your buck is a re - map of the ecu! You would probably get an extra 40-50 hp with out causing a meltdown. I’m sure one of forced induction drivers On here would be able to point you in the correct direction.

Then head to the track And learn how to use it 👊🏻

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jayz said:

Welcome mate. Great first car!

high end performance tyres and new brakes are the go, she’ll feel much sharper!

Mate its forced induction. Best bang for your buck is a re - map of the ecu! You would probably get an extra 40-50 hp with out causing a meltdown. I’m sure one of forced induction drivers On here would be able to point you in the correct direction.

Then head to the track And learn how to use it 👊🏻

 

 

 

Yep - $700 gets you a Bluefin remap and 30-40hp more and plenty more torque. Completely transforms the car :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all, appreciate the input.

On another note, anyone ever bought one of these before from aliexpress? Do they fit perfectly/require any drilling? Thinking about getting it instead of dropping money for expensive genuine parts/exotic mods spoiler:

 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001876167661.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a6e6960iKaiwN&algo_pvid=e2330e81-d6e5-4516-a08b-6648d69f26f2&algo_expid=e2330e81-d6e5-4516-a08b-6648d69f26f2-56&btsid=0b0a557016101589064924772e4edb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, aidan059 said:

Thanks all, appreciate the input.

On another note, anyone ever bought one of these before from aliexpress? Do they fit perfectly/require any drilling? Thinking about getting it instead of dropping money for expensive genuine parts/exotic mods spoiler:

 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001876167661.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a6e6960iKaiwN&algo_pvid=e2330e81-d6e5-4516-a08b-6648d69f26f2&algo_expid=e2330e81-d6e5-4516-a08b-6648d69f26f2-56&btsid=0b0a557016101589064924772e4edb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The price is worryingly cheap. However, even if it's half as good as OEM, that would be a great buy! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, chuckovski said:

The price is worryingly cheap. However, even if it's half as good as OEM, that would be a great buy! 

Hmmmm very tempting indeed. I mean they're not super expensive so if it turns out to be crap then so be it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, aidan059 said:

Hmmmm very tempting indeed. I mean they're not super expensive so if it turns out to be crap then so be it. 

Just be careful. Some of the cheap wings wont actually fit onto the RS spoiler. You need to fit them to the rear spoiler from a normal Clio

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Deet said:

Just be careful. Some of the cheap wings wont actually fit onto the RS spoiler. You need to fit them to the rear spoiler from a normal Clio

Which would be cheap and easy to source from a wrecker should that be the case. Much of the stuff coming out of China is actually pretty decent (pains me a little to fuel the throw away economy) but give it a go, very little to lose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Timster said:

Yes to wrapping the roof, the cars roofline looks lower when you break up the paint yellow paint. It’s a good eye trick.

I have a black roof on my flame red ClioIV. And it looks like it came from the factory that way. But I wrapped mine to protect from more stone chips not really just for looks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Deet said:

I have a black roof on my flame red ClioIV. And it looks like it came from the factory that way. But I wrapped mine to protect from more stone chips not really just for looks

Do you have any pics by any chance? I'm curious cause it looks to be all one big panel down the back side and down the front windshield. Where did you start/stop wrapping?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We counted over 30 chips on the bonnet and there was a huge chip right on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen 

That is not a vinyl wrap. Its a protective film. Went black instead of clear as you would still see all the repaired chips underneath clear film

F3AF4A7E-2283-4D6C-9AAF-F39AD1C4B8FF.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deet said:

We counted over 30 chips on the bonnet and there was a huge chip right on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen 

That is not a vinyl wrap. Its a protective film. Went black instead of clear as you would still see all the repaired chips underneath clear film

F3AF4A7E-2283-4D6C-9AAF-F39AD1C4B8FF.jpeg

Looks really good! Very tempting to get done hehe. Where did you get the french flag from out of curiosity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Deet said:

We counted over 30 chips on the bonnet and there was a huge chip right on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen 

That is not a vinyl wrap. Its a protective film. Went black instead of clear as you would still see all the repaired chips underneath clear film

F3AF4A7E-2283-4D6C-9AAF-F39AD1C4B8FF.jpeg

Didn't realise you could get coloured PPF. Where was this done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Didn't realise you could get coloured PPF. Where was this done?

Winguard in Adelaide

The owner, Tim does training nationally and he was recently in Sydney with a dealer there so I would assume they might be able to help you find a local dealer

They have Clear, black and white. They also have a new product which is clear with a carbon looking weave so you can have a CF finish on your base colour. They also do a clear matt finish film if you are after that look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/01/2021 at 7:43 AM, stromlo said:

Yep - $700 gets you a Bluefin remap and 30-40hp more and plenty more torque. Completely transforms the car :)

@stromlo: have you done a bluefin before? Not a bad price compared to the 1300 I've been quoted for an in-house tune. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, NDHRS said:

@stromlo: have you done a bluefin before? Not a bad price compared to the 1300 I've been quoted for an in-house tune. 

Hey mate, yeah, I did it around two months ago. Took less than 10 mins, including downloading the map and uploading it to the car 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stromlo said:

Hey mate, yeah, I did it around two months ago. Took less than 10 mins, including downloading the map and uploading it to the car 👌

and I dare say this is a stupid question: are you enjoying it? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NDHRS said:

and I dare say this is a stupid question: are you enjoying it? 

Wishing I had not waited so long to do it mate, it really transforms the car. It transforms the experience completely 😁. For example, if you were driving in traffic in comfort mode, and needed to take a gap or accelerate quickly, you had to know to get the DCT to kick down with a little tap of the accelerator. Now there is now a wall of torque everywhere - just put your foot down and it's gone with blast furnace sounds turned up to 11. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stromlo said:

Wishing I had not waited so long to do it mate, it really transforms the car. It transforms the experience completely 😁. For example, if you were driving in traffic in comfort mode, and needed to take a gap or accelerate quickly, you had to know to get the DCT to kick down with a little tap of the accelerator. Now there is now a wall of torque everywhere - just put your foot down and it's gone with blast furnace sounds turned up to 11. 

Goddamn it. Wish you'd just lied and said it wasn't worth it. 

 

Oh well. *takes out credit card* here we go 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp. Just did it. Bloody hell this thing is farty now. 

Haven't had a chance to reeeeeeeally give it a go (uni assignment due in a week, rip) but will report back here as soon as I do!

I can't really *feel* any massive difference but maybe I should have spent some more time with the car stock before chucking in the tune. 🤷‍♂️  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NDHRS said:

Welp. Just did it. Bloody hell this thing is farty now. 

Haven't had a chance to reeeeeeeally give it a go (uni assignment due in a week, rip) but will report back here as soon as I do!

I can't really *feel* any massive difference but maybe I should have spent some more time with the car stock before chucking in the tune. 🤷‍♂️  

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Don't wanna jump from 0 to 100 straight away so will enjoy it stock until I'm sick of it/wanting more then will chuck in the tune. So once I do get the tune I can then enjoy a noticeable difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, aidan059 said:

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Don't wanna jump from 0 to 100 straight away so will enjoy it stock until I'm sick of it/wanting more then will chuck in the tune. So once I do get the tune I can then enjoy a noticeable difference. 

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit just took it for a good drive and my face nearly melted! I think the best thing from this is the torque-up in normal mode; does the acceleration but quietly so it sneaks up on you hahahaha. Great fun on the back roads. 

For those thinking my reaction is an overreaction, a reminder that I'm coming from a CVT Corolla... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, aidan059 said:

Could just make a new post but cbf - has anyone lowered their Clio 4? Looking to do so but not wanting to dish out big bucks for coilovers so seems like lowered springs are the way. Any suggestions as to what to get?

What size wheels have you got? My 18" seem a good height at stock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aidan059 said:

18 too, I just think it rides too high at the front. Saw some springs that drop front by 1cm more than back which would be nice. 

Ahhh yes I've seen the same setup. Have you got a lip or is the front stock? 

Get a lip... go on... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NDHRS said:

Ahhh yes I've seen the same setup. Have you got a lip or is the front stock? 

Get a lip... go on... 

Lmao a lip is on my to-get list yes. Maxton one probably, and then followed by a drop. Ideally I want skirts as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aidan059 said:

Lmao a lip is on my to-get list yes. Maxton one probably, and then followed by a drop. Ideally I want skirts as well.

I really want the cup spoiler at the rear but can't justify the amount of times I'll be pulled over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...