RS250 Cup Trophee

BNothling

Hey guys,

Short term lurker, first time poster!

Picked up my 2011 Megane RS250 Cup Trophee this morning and will be saying goodbye to my 2011 VW Mk6 GTi this afternoon. So far I'm loving the car and look forward to learning all of the little intricacies that the car has and how it all works. The car has an intake and the resonator delete already done so I'm pretty chuffed about that, and I just need to get used to having 3 pedals again after getting around with the DSG for the last 3.5 years!

Completely not a plug, but I'm the motorsport category manager at Brakes Direct so if anyone from the community needs any pads or rotors for your car, please feel free to reach out to me through the work channels or via here and I'll look after you guys as much as I can!

I look forward to catching up with you guys at some point in the near future! I'm based in Brisbane at the moment so will be keeping an eye out for anything that's happening in the area.

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SLUGGO33X said:

Hi Ben, welcome and congrats on the new ride. Suspect you'll have a few members take up your Brakes Direct offer 😉

That's not a problem at all. We're all car enthusiasts in the office and love to help out like-minded people. More than happy to offer any sort of assistance that I can!

I haven't given her her first bath yet so I apologise for that, but I'll hopefully have time to get around to that tomorrow. I have 18 month old twins so unfortunately my car washing urges don't get met as often as they want to! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzJustin said:

Congrats on the purchase Ben!

I actually looked at that car too and it presented  very well (just wasn't the colour I was after). I think you got a good buy. 👍

Nice! He did say that someone else was interested but wasn't sold on the colour. 

7 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Welcome, looks like a mint pick up. Theaks heaps for the discount too, didn't even know about it until I messaged the website. :) 

Look forward to meeting at one of the QLD talking BS nights. 13/1 looks like it has some traction

Thanks Scott. You're more than welcome. Hopefully meet some of you all then!

• Like 1

Welcome! Great colour combo and looks in great condition. The res delete and intake just gives it that aural lift that is needed. 

Will reach out for some DBAs at some stage im sure. Unfortunately the current whip(AR Giulietta QV), doesn't have a lot of options for brakes or anything really

Can i suggest finding yourself down the rabbit hole that is the 'off topic' area of the forum. Also the RenaultBoi thread is a classic and mandatory reading for new members. 

Edited by Pokinacha

42 minutes ago, Pokinacha said:

Will reach out for some DBAs at some stage im sure. Unfortunately the current whip (AR Giulietta QV), doesn't have a lot of options for brakes or anything really

Can i suggest finding yourself down the rabbit hole that is the 'off topic' area of the forum. Also the RenaultBoi thread is a classic and mandatory reading for new members. 

Not a problem. Get in touch with me and I'll help you out. We can definitely do some digging into the Giulietta and see what we can get for you. All I can do is try!

I'll have a bit of a look. Off-topic sections of forums can be dark, dank corners of the internet that I'm more than happy to explore when I'm hiding in the cupboard from the kids!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm absolutely loving this car and have booked in for my first Motorkhana in March. 

I'm really enjoying helping people on the forum get their cars stopped, but I was hoping that you guys could help me out with making the car go. I've read a lot about RSTuner and I'm thinking that will be the way to go. I've had a dig around here but can't find many recent experiences. Can anyone shed some light?

Not chasing huge numbers, but better numbers where it matters and that seems to be the RSTuner result.

Thanks. 

Ben

Hey Ben,

Welcome to OzRS and congrats on the purchase!

RS Tuner is definitely the "road more travelled" in terms of non-dyno tuning - it can be done on a budget and I've never heard of any concerns about tune safety (i.e. AFRs). With no other mods, you'll typically see a 5-10% gain across the rev range, and minor improvement in fuel economy. This is for a Stage 1 tune but if you want a tune custom to any other mods, there is a bit of back-and-forth with data logs and the like. The only tip here is you will get much better after-sales service from Henk in the Netherlands if you are the original purchaser of the RS Tuner unit. Also, a Premium or Pro unit with on-board data logging can be useful if you don't want to cart your laptop everywhere.

Perhaps others here could comment about custom or Stage 2 tunes via RS Tuner, or the other well-known option being Bluefin.

Another option is to wait until Paul Murray (RS Tuning, UK) does another Oz tour. It will end up being about twice as expensive, but it's done on a dyno custom to your car so you can fit any other mods you want prior to the day, plus you get to meet other members here. It's a fun day, I did it back in 2017 when I had my Meg 225 Cup (recently sold for greener pastures). Highly recommended, but of course with lockdowns and travel restrictions etc, you may be waiting until 2022-23 before this can happen again.

Welcome and thanks for the offer for members re: brakes! I'll be hitting up up for some discs in the near future I'm sure :)

I have a Bluefin (well, I'm pretty sure my car had it when I bought it but I don't have a reader/scanner) but am in talks with eTuners in Sydney re: dyno tuning, as I know them through our race team. Hopefully something comes of it and we can have another local option as they seem pretty big in the VAG/Mercedes market in Sydney.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

I just re-read the thread regarding AFRs and the BlueFin stuff and I don't really know what to make of it. On one hand, the lean tune isn't awesome, but at the same time there'd be thousands of these tunes floating around the world and surely not everyone is having issues if they were all running lean?

54 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

I just re-read the thread regarding AFRs and the BlueFin stuff and I don't really know what to make of it. On one hand, the lean tune isn't awesome, but at the same time there'd be thousands of these tunes floating around the world and surely not everyone is having issues if they were all running lean?

Have used you guys for brake needs before and found excellent knowledge/advice has been given.

I am considering a tune and trying to assess the 'pros and cons' of the various approaches. 

As I understand the 'basics' fuel is a 'coolant' and 'leaning it out' (lower AFR) makes for higher running temperatures. 

Sooo.....I guess it is a matter of being able to find the compromise that doesn't damage your motor.

It seems there is a 'difference of opinion' on 'what is safe and what isn't).

Who'd of thought?  🤣

There are members on here,  that would deal with the issues on a daily basis, to find what 'works'.

They may care to share their experience.

AND it is 50 years, since I read 'stuff' on this, and in my experience, things/knowledge changes.  🤔

Looking forward to hearing 'input' from others.

Edited by cairnsy

Yep, that's a valid deduction.

There really should be a hands up from those on here with a bluefin and the "myriad of issues" they've had.

I'll start, two Meg 3s (265 and GT220) with a combined mileage since installation of approximately 40000kms. The cars have been used daily and have both seen track use. Zero issues throughout.

• Like 2

Very true guys. Thanks for the input. I'll do some more reading and come to my own conclusions, but not much beats personal experience and I appreciate your comments.

• Like 1