Brand New RS 280 owner and VERY excited !

oscargamer

Greetings,

Literally just bought this car

https://www.autotrader.com.au/car/10577478/renault/megane/nsw/warwick-farm/hatchback

😁

Picking it up in 10 days or so - I have to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to do the trade-in, but it'll be worth it !

I'm an ex-Pommie and have always been a fan of the fast Frenchies. Looked at the 308 GTi, but the dash and steering wheel was all wrong for me. Jumped into a Megane 280 and felt immediately at home.

Can't wait to collect the thing.

Hopefully I'll post some pics in the next few weeks. Yes it's stock, yes it's grey, but IT'S MINE....MINE..... mwah ha ha ha

• Like 15

I found the 308 to be 'livelier' than the RS. Twitchier. More like a greyhound, with the RS being like a racehorse.

I felt the RS to be more 'mature' and smoother, with the 308 being a bit more jerky. Didn't like the gearshift of the 308.

The 308 felt faster.

I DID NOT like the driving position of the Pug and the steering wheel was just wrong.

I felt like I was sitting 'on' the 308 (like a go-cart) but 'in' the RS (like a car).

I see you have the Pug. Can I ask if you are tall? I am (6'4") and wonder if that has a bearing on my thoughts?

All the above are just my opinions and everyone has those (just like the other thing).

I do however, love the understated looks of the 308. Wolf in sheeps clothing.

Edited by oscargamer
  • Like 4

I found the 308 to be 'livelier' than the RS. Twitchier. More like a greyhound, with the RS being like a racehorse.
I felt the RS to be more 'mature' and smoother, with the 308 being a bit more jerky. Didn't like the gearshift of the 308.
The 308 felt faster.
I DID NOT like the driving position of the Pug and the steering wheel was just wrong.
I felt like I was sitting 'on' the 308 (like a go-cart) but 'in' the RS (like a car).
I see you have the Pug. Can I ask if you are tall? I am (6'4") and wonder if that has a bearing on my thoughts?
All the above are just my opinions and everyone has those (just like the other thing).
I do however, love the understated looks of the 308. Wolf in sheeps clothing.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm a shortie , so that probably affects the driving position and experience.

Enjoy the new beast mate.

The Pug’s seating/steering/instruments are certainly polarising. However, I’m 1.78m (“average”, I’m told) and once you figure out how it is all supposed to work, you can set up a position that is really comforable (and much easier to enter/exit than the T-R [emoji23])

To me, the Pug is more “nimble” than the Meg because of lighter weight but doesn’t handle as well at the limit

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, oscargamer said:

Greetings,

Literally just bought this car

https://www.autotrader.com.au/car/10577478/renault/megane/nsw/warwick-farm/hatchback

😁

Picking it up in 10 days or so - I have to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to do the trade-in, but it'll be worth it !

I'm an ex-Pommie and have always been a fan of the fast Frenchies. Looked at the 308 GTi, but the dash and steering wheel was all wrong for me. Jumped into a Megane 280 and felt immediately at home.

Can't wait to collect the thing.

Hopefully I'll post some pics in the next few weeks. Yes it's stock, yes it's grey, but IT'S MINE....MINE..... mwah ha ha ha

Enjoy !! Welcome to the family :) 

I HAVE IT !!!!

I am literally the most excited 50 something bloke in VIC at the moment. Have always wanted a French hot hatch. NOW I HAVE ONE :)

Long drive from Sydney to SW Vic though.

LOVE the car.

Photos after I've cleaned it.

Edited by oscargamer
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

I HAVE IT !!!!

I am literally the most excited 50 something bloke in VIC at the moment. Have always wanted a French hot hatch. NOW I HAVE ONE :)

Long drive from Sydney to SW Vic though.

LOVE the car.

Photos after I've cleaned it.

you are going to hate the point to point cameras on the Hume

Good thanks. Overnighted in wodonga, so the longest day was wodonga to Sydney and back. 1100 km. But the first half was looking forward to the rs, and the second half was driving the beast, so not all bad :)

I spent a fair while listening to the radio about the plight of the farmers in NSW that are struggling through the drought. Not really aware of it coming from Vic. There I am wondering about my new Euro play thing, when people are struggling, really struggling with just surviving. I need to do something to help them. Not sure what, but I will do something.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

Good thanks. Overnighted in wodonga, so the longest day was wodonga to Sydney and back. 1100 km. But the first half was looking forward to the rs, and the second half was driving the beast, so not all bad :)

I spent a fair while listening to the radio about the plight of the farmers in NSW that are struggling through the drought. Not really aware of it coming from Vic. There I am wondering about my new Euro play thing, when people are struggling, really struggling with just surviving. I need to do something to help them. Not sure what, but I will do something.

Start a charity fundraiser drive day?

how does the car drive ? 

Car drives beautifully. Nicest driving car I have ever owned. That's not saying much. I've had very dull cars before. We have BMW 330d's and X5 4.0 td's at work. I prefer mine over these......go figure. More smiles per gallon for the frog !!!

Suspension is just right for me. Cup chassis was too stiff.

Sharp turn-ins, need to get used to these.

Gear shift is ok, not the best, need to do most of them in two movements. Not unpleasant, just different from the last car, which was very smooth.

Very bum hugging seats, hadn't picked that up before. Need to have pelvic surgery to reduce bone width.

Kids love the car and the heart beat when  you enter it. Enough room for them for a while at least (wife's SUV is main kid carrying thing)

BOSE stereo is very nice. Hearing parts of songs that I haven't heard before.

Washed the car on arrival at home, hoping to take photos today. Hasn't stopped raining though. The irony.......after my previous comment about the drought further north.

Don't like the key. ... How do the rest of you carry it? Too big for wallet. Can't attach to existing key ring. Put it in trouser/jacket pocket and will probably leave it somewhere..... Solutions?

Overall.....9.5/10 for driving. 9/10 for aesthetics. 9.5/10 fun factor. 10/10 for uniqueness (I haven't seen a single one in my part of VIC)

Will be hanging here for a while to learn from those of you that know much more than me :)

• Like 1

Yes the key.....  its a bit fatter than my last one on the RS265 so i didnt like it in my pocket so stick in the centre consol. For the first month I would walk away and think crap the key is back in the car 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, oscargamer said:

Don't like the key. ... How do the rest of you carry it? Too big for wallet. Can't attach to existing key ring. Put it in trouser/jacket pocket and will probably leave it somewhere..... Solutions?

There's a made to fit key cover that will let you attach other keys etc. Works fine, available in leatherette or silicone. Not expensive but hopefully free :wink2: from your local dealer (part # BKCCL001AU).

20 hours ago, ktee said:

There's a made to fit key cover that will let you attach other keys etc. Works fine, available in leatherette or silicone. Not expensive but hopefully free :wink2: from your local dealer (part # BKCCL001AU).

I got mine off ebay for about $15 in leatherette with red stitching to match my RS flame red....😛