oscargamer

Brand New RS 280 owner and VERY excited !

Greetings,

Literally just bought this car

https://www.autotrader.com.au/car/10577478/renault/megane/nsw/warwick-farm/hatchback

😁

Picking it up in 10 days or so - I have to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to do the trade-in, but it'll be worth it !

I'm an ex-Pommie and have always been a fan of the fast Frenchies. Looked at the 308 GTi, but the dash and steering wheel was all wrong for me. Jumped into a Megane 280 and felt immediately at home.

Can't wait to collect the thing.

Hopefully I'll post some pics in the next few weeks. Yes it's stock, yes it's grey, but IT'S MINE....MINE..... mwah ha ha ha

• Like 13

Congrats!  Will be a fun drive home

Congrats!

....but the ad...the advert....says it’s RWD!

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 3:32 AM, ttimbo said:

Congrats!

....but the ad...the advert....says it’s RWD! emoji33.pngemoji33.png

a testament to just how well these steer ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the purchase!

How did you find the drive compared to the pug?

I found the 308 to be 'livelier' than the RS. Twitchier. More like a greyhound, with the RS being like a racehorse.

I felt the RS to be more 'mature' and smoother, with the 308 being a bit more jerky. Didn't like the gearshift of the 308.

The 308 felt faster.

I DID NOT like the driving position of the Pug and the steering wheel was just wrong.

I felt like I was sitting 'on' the 308 (like a go-cart) but 'in' the RS (like a car).

I see you have the Pug. Can I ask if you are tall? I am (6'4") and wonder if that has a bearing on my thoughts?

All the above are just my opinions and everyone has those (just like the other thing).

I do however, love the understated looks of the 308. Wolf in sheeps clothing.

Edited by oscargamer
  • Like 4

I found the 308 to be 'livelier' than the RS. Twitchier. More like a greyhound, with the RS being like a racehorse.
I felt the RS to be more 'mature' and smoother, with the 308 being a bit more jerky. Didn't like the gearshift of the 308.
The 308 felt faster.
I DID NOT like the driving position of the Pug and the steering wheel was just wrong.
I felt like I was sitting 'on' the 308 (like a go-cart) but 'in' the RS (like a car).
I see you have the Pug. Can I ask if you are tall? I am (6'4") and wonder if that has a bearing on my thoughts?
All the above are just my opinions and everyone has those (just like the other thing).
I do however, love the understated looks of the 308. Wolf in sheeps clothing.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm a shortie , so that probably affects the driving position and experience.

Enjoy the new beast mate.

The Pug’s seating/steering/instruments are certainly polarising. However, I’m 1.78m (“average”, I’m told) and once you figure out how it is all supposed to work, you can set up a position that is really comforable (and much easier to enter/exit than the T-R )

To me, the Pug is more “nimble” than the Meg because of lighter weight but doesn’t handle as well at the limit

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, oscargamer said:

Greetings,

Literally just bought this car

https://www.autotrader.com.au/car/10577478/renault/megane/nsw/warwick-farm/hatchback

😁

Picking it up in 10 days or so - I have to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to do the trade-in, but it'll be worth it !

I'm an ex-Pommie and have always been a fan of the fast Frenchies. Looked at the 308 GTi, but the dash and steering wheel was all wrong for me. Jumped into a Megane 280 and felt immediately at home.

Can't wait to collect the thing.

Hopefully I'll post some pics in the next few weeks. Yes it's stock, yes it's grey, but IT'S MINE....MINE..... mwah ha ha ha

Enjoy !! Welcome to the family :) 

I HAVE IT !!!!

I am literally the most excited 50 something bloke in VIC at the moment. Have always wanted a French hot hatch. NOW I HAVE ONE :)

Long drive from Sydney to SW Vic though.

LOVE the car.

Photos after I've cleaned it.

Edited by oscargamer
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

I HAVE IT !!!!

I am literally the most excited 50 something bloke in VIC at the moment. Have always wanted a French hot hatch. NOW I HAVE ONE :)

Long drive from Sydney to SW Vic though.

LOVE the car.

Photos after I've cleaned it.

you are going to hate the point to point cameras on the Hume

4 hours ago, Deet said:

you are going to hate the point to point cameras on the Hume

What ?

Some of the speed cameras on the Hume use number plate recognition technology to determine your average speed, and then book you! So slowing down for the camera won't really help...

Resetting your trip computer to calculate your average speed as you pass the first camera can alleviate some distress around this. Better though to live in a state that only uses average speed cameras for heavy vehicles!

• Haha 1

Good thanks. Overnighted in wodonga, so the longest day was wodonga to Sydney and back. 1100 km. But the first half was looking forward to the rs, and the second half was driving the beast, so not all bad :)

I spent a fair while listening to the radio about the plight of the farmers in NSW that are struggling through the drought. Not really aware of it coming from Vic. There I am wondering about my new Euro play thing, when people are struggling, really struggling with just surviving. I need to do something to help them. Not sure what, but I will do something.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oscargamer said:

Good thanks. Overnighted in wodonga, so the longest day was wodonga to Sydney and back. 1100 km. But the first half was looking forward to the rs, and the second half was driving the beast, so not all bad :)

I spent a fair while listening to the radio about the plight of the farmers in NSW that are struggling through the drought. Not really aware of it coming from Vic. There I am wondering about my new Euro play thing, when people are struggling, really struggling with just surviving. I need to do something to help them. Not sure what, but I will do something.

Start a charity fundraiser drive day?

how does the car drive ?