Is this Renault ownership?

yum265

So the article says great car chassis etc and don't worry bout the bits that fall off. Ignoring the latter I flog the demo round the block twice and buy the 265 redbull cause I don't like leather and cause its THERE . My first passenger pulls the outside door handle right out of its socket ...mmmm ...don't worry dear just get in strap yourself in and don't touch anything else. And I always select extreme ,ESC off radio up to drown out the rattles and I'm still happy ... Now if it was a Toyota I'd be pissed off.

And just like my TC Cortina all those years ago....the gear lever came off in my hand.

And just like the VW beetle I once test drove as a student, the front left wheel came off and rolled away faster than the car.

True stories....and not a French car in sight.

I've had several genuinely reliable French cars over the years and only one lemon - a really early Xantia. The universal drama is, however, water leaking into the cabin and soaking the carpets. Such a minor stuff-up in the design in each case, but the smell and the hassle of getting everything dry again is awful. Drove my brother's Volvo the other day and was cheered to discover a pair of sodden footwells due to a/c condensation leaking.

Oops some negative replies . In essence I was merely enquiring about Renault reliability . I bought a new 2 door STI in 1999 and waited 13 years for a moderately good looking replacement . Alas they keep getting uglier so I jumped ship . The STI was however fast and reliable . Now the fast in the Renault can be addressed but the reliability is unaddressable (new word ?) And so I'm hoping , crossing fingers and toes that this is now a modern Renault myth and that the STI can be taken out of this BOI !

Have five Renaults in this household, and they just keep going.

At 160,000 k's the 172 is now needing new shocks and engine mounts, and is no longer turning on its boot light. At 130,000 k's the 225 needs a set of engine mounts, and split a rubber stopper a while ago that was a 10 minute job to replace. The 1972 R16 has just split a driveshaft boot at a measly 127 thousand miles - circa 205,000 kilometres (still on the original engine, never opened, and one gearbox repair).

The myth is just that. Look after 'em and they keep going.

Have five Renaults in this household, and they just keep going.

At 160,000 k's the 172 is now needing new shocks and engine mounts, and is no longer turning on its boot light. At 130,000 k's the 225 needs a set of engine mounts, and split a rubber stopper a while ago that was a 10 minute job to replace. The 1972 R16 has just split a driveshaft boot at a measly 127 thousand miles - circa 205,000 kilometres (still on the original engine, never opened, and one gearbox repair).

The myth is just that. Look after 'em and they keep going.

I second that .... 1 Clio Sport, 4 Megane Sport, 2 Scenic's, 2 Feugo (before your time i would guess), 1 x 17 & my 1967 R10

All of my cars have never let me down, All my Megan's have been great, sure they had silly things go wrong, but since the 250 not a thing.

not all Renault's fall apart, thats just rubish. Not many car companies give you 5 yr unlimited warranty. An on RS cars 3 yrs .... All good.

...... STI can be taken out of this BOI !

Welcome along to the Forum New Renault BOI !!

As others have been Frank with you, so will I. I have had none of the Grave Problems you speak of with my renaults.

As you Dig deeper in this forum, I am sure you will find the answers you seek.

Best of luck with it.

I love the insinuation that French cars are notoriously unreliable. I wouldn't have bought one if it were true however.

all cars have their design flaws or weaknesses ( depending how you see the world), and I'd hardly say that any particular manufacturer is capable of producing a vehicle of such quality that it needs anything less than regular maintenance to provide the owner with a high degree of reliability. not even a rolls royce can promise that.

• 1 month later...

My drivers side electric window is "possessed" & has a mind of its own.

The panel match ups are very average on my RS250 AGP (give or take 3mm : /

With windows down, the sky light roof liner cover must be open, otherwise it blows in the wind and sounds like my grand mothers dentures chattering away.

All things aside, my car is a real head turner, handles like a go kart, and is "Nothing like a Golf"

My RS200 won't select a gear first thing in the morning if it's cold or the stars aren't aligned correctly, it's a pig to drive for the first couple of minutes till it's fully awake & it only likes certain fuels sometimes...but every time i take it out it gives a driving experience unmatched by 99% of the stuff on our roads today.

In my experience you can pick holes in any new car if your pedantic enough (our sh*te roads are to blame for rattles not the manufacturers) but the return you get from driving an RS is very rare indeed.

For the OP... in my time ive had 2 x new STI's & 1 new Rex (including a heavily modded 99 2door), 1 x STI spun a big end bearing & 1 x STI blew a turbo & the gearbox in my rex was crap. Given a choice I'd much rather have a door handle fall off than spin a big end bearing...

I have no complaints!!

My windows only ever "CREAK" after I've been driving with them down and I put them back up. They creak 2 or 3 times till the rubber reseats and then its silent running again.

I picked up a new piece of furniture today in my RS200 1.5m long and 650mm wide - No probs. just fold the seat and push the pax seat forward.