Researching - Megane RS

KFuNk

Hey all,

Names Ken first time poster. I don't have a Renault currently or ever had one. I've always been a JDM fan. Current ride is a 06 Mazda 3 MPS pushing 190kw 490NM ATW Chiptorque tuned and part of the OzMPS forum. Seriously looking to go Euro for a change. I think next year I'll be more serious in making a decision, however I love the Megane RS's (haven't driven one yet) other cars currently in the pool are the Ford Focus RS, VW Golf R, Evo X, R34 GTR, Mk 4 R32. I tend to hit the track and test tune's every now and then as well. Also has to get the wife tick of approval. I'm always showing her cars on Car Sales. She only likes 2 1. The Red Bull Megane RS and 2. Green Ford Focus RS. They are the same price range. So always keen to hear opinions and one day to have my own. I'm just worried about service cost and replacement part etc. Anyone had experience with modding or tuning these or any come from an MPS? Anyways thanks for reading.

My current ride below.

Peace

Old Colour Scheme -

photo133_zps03345dff.jpg

Current scheme -

photo13_zps7aab3799.jpg

Downshift Meet

photo23_zps1204cdf7.jpg

In terms of turning there is the RSTuner which quite a few endorse. There is also the Bluefin option too for tuning.

I can't comment on service costs as I've yet to do my 10,000km, however parts can be bought through other networks rather then the dealer to save a bit.

Depends where you service, but its every 10,000km/one year. My 30,000km was $440 at a dealer WITH a pollen filter change (Costs $40+). I'll be very honest with you - my other half's SP23 is twice the cost in terms of servicing at the dealer - she spends almost $1k a year (we call up a few, and go with the cheapest).

Stock the Megane is already a good car, not too many of us have modded it yet, also because its a fairly young car (really only came in Jan 2011 for the first shipments). Does well with a full exhaust and custom tune so they say.

Love the Focus RS, but it looks like toy car, and there is no CRUISE! (Sorry I need my cruise, I have a lazy right foot). But the 5-pot will have a lot of mod potential if modding is your thing.

welcome !

modding is not something you see a huge amount on RS [ or euros generally although some VAG products need a bit of hotting up ], as they get it pretty much spot on out of the factory . thats the idea of getting a RS - its ''just right'' straight up and you dont really need to improve anything like needed on most jap cars . unless you want to get track serious of course , when a used early clio is the choice here as a trackster , especially in silver eh boys ?

theres a good RS tune house in QLD who are into it if modding is what you want to do . see motor mags hot tuner challenge for details - they did the usual things to make it go a bit quicker , sit a bit lower , sound a bit louder and it looked nice and went well at the last nats at winton

i seriously modded my recently sold Evo 9 and made it a lot less useful overall if a bit quicker on the track but left my R26 stock , so its still useful, reliable and quick enough . love evos but you might find the X a bit boring .

note - love the red wheels :nod: ...... plasti coated or painted ? we did that on the track clio for the nats .

forgot to mention - in RS world its not about the numbers or the times , its about the corners and the feel of the steering and handling .

in Evo land I was after my 310kwatw numbers , its different priorities euro v jap

you save money in euro world :D

update - topgear sum it up

'' it feels track sharp from the moment you open one of the long light doors to when you bring it to a halt using the firm hard brakes . oohh its so good . it wont be for everyone ... but if your hot hatch buying criteria list starts with driving purity then this is the car for you . it has the best steering , the most responsive chassis and delivers more feel through more places than the others . the RS is tight and sharp - as much serious sports car as hot hatch ''

kfunk , hope that helps place the RS in context . the issue with modding them [ remembering theyre set up properly for sports driving by and built in a seperate RS factory ] is you can make them worse to drive if you dont get the mods just right as the factory got it together first up when they ''modded'' the stock megane .

speak to the QLD RS people who do a very good job, according to motor mag

Hey thanks for all the all replies much appreciated. Looks the RS is a fantastic car from factory. I guess minor tweaks and cosmetic is the way to go. I do remember the hot tuner challenge and there was a black 250. Will look into it more. I know you're all RS lovers but anything negative since owning them? Or any warranty issued to be had or is there a warranty issue thread?

It would be possible to tweak the suspension, but you'd be taking a huge risk. It's very easy to ruin the ride. I think a Megane's suspension is pretty spot on for the road. If you were tracking it, perhaps coilovers, but I daresay springs are the better option.

The RenaultSport engineers in Dieppe, who also work on Renault's F1 cars, know more about perfecting their cars than you in your suburban garage do. :)

That's a misnomer. :roll:

A car's setup is always a compromise. Some people crave a little bit less roll, or firmer damping (perhaps they are on track a lot) at the expense of road comfort. Renault has to compromise for all intended customers, and they do an awesome job, but it's not perfect for everyone.

Hey thanks for all the all replies much appreciated. Looks the RS is a fantastic car from factory. I guess minor tweaks and cosmetic is the way to go. I do remember the hot tuner challenge and there was a black 250. Will look into it more. I know you're all RS lovers but anything negative since owning them? Or any warranty issued to be had or is there a warranty issue thread?

i think the hot tuner setup would be a good path to follow as theyve done the development and proved its [ even ] better than stock

my R26 has performed fautlessly and the 250 / 265 is built to an even better standard .

you'll find the main issue with RS is too many hot chicks chasing you for a ride , especially if you go liquid yellow , they love it :nod:

The RenaultSport engineers in Dieppe, who also work on Renault's F1 cars, know more about perfecting their cars than you in your suburban garage do. :)

That's a misnomer. :roll:

A car's setup is always a compromise. Some people crave a little bit less roll, or firmer damping (perhaps they are on track a lot) at the expense of road comfort. Renault has to compromise for all intended customers, and they do an awesome job, but it's not perfect for everyone.

fair enough. i was more referring to the distinction between how a car from RS comes out of the factory versus all the rice-tuners who seem to feel the need to get 300kwatw out of all of their cars, ruining them in the process. :)

(with the obvious exception of an RSTune which is really the tamest performance modification you can do to a car :))

I've never owned an MPS mate, but I pretty much just went through this exercise. I had the following cars on the short list:

- Mazda 3 MPS

- Subaru WRX/Club Spec

- VW Golf GTi/Golf R/Scirocco R

- Mitsubishi Evo IX/X

I love the Focus RS, but at the end of the day I really wanted a new car with no history.

I cam from a Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart tuned to 140kW/300Nm atw.

After driving all of the above, the Renault came out streets ahead. I actually bought one of the models you are interested in - the RedBull Megane RS265. I love it. In stock form it's just too much fun to drive. I'm almost a month into ownership and the bi-polar personality of the RS keeps a massive grin on my face. It turns from easy to drive commuter into corner eater/traffic muncher in the blink of an eye.

I see you're on the Gold Coast - I'd be happy to take you for a spin and let you have a poke around.

I have no plans for mods except I want to track, so will be on the look out for some track rims (preferably someones discarded stockers) and am going to fight the urge to put a K-Tec half cage in.

I've never owned an MPS mate, but I pretty much just went through this exercise. I had the following cars on the short list:

- Mazda 3 MPS

- Subaru WRX/Club Spec

- Mitsubishi Evo IX/X

I love the Focus RS, but at the end of the day I really wanted a new car with no history.

After driving all of the above, the Renault came out streets ahead. I actually bought one of the models you are interested in - the RedBull Megane RS265. I love it. In stock form it's just too much fun to drive. I'm almost a month into ownership and the bi-polar personality of the RS keeps a massive grin on my face. It turns from easy to drive commuter into corner eater/traffic muncher in the blink of an eye.

I see you're on the Gold Coast - I'd be happy to take you for a spin and let you have a poke around.

I have no plans for mods except I want to track, so will be on the look out for some track rims (preferably someones discarded stockers) and am going to fight the urge to put a K-Tec half cage in.

Hey mate, sounds like you are having the same process I'm going through. Its always good to hear from someone who actually has one. Are you a local? That would be great.

Yeah I plan on tracking the car too. Seems the right thing to do it is designed for it so why not use it :)

- Mazda 3 MPS

- Subaru WRX/Club Spec

- Mitsubishi Evo IX/X

LOL I looked at that list and short listed to the STi, Golf R, and RS250. The RS250 won :)

It's a great car, it's my daily and I still love driving it 18 months later.

OP, if you intend on tracking the car a fair bit, perhaps also take a Clio 200 for a test drive. In terms of raw driving experience in a new car - the Clio ticks all the boxes. Even better with some track tyres on it

I did consider it but not a great deal, I know even less thank than the Clio, Being NA how much can you squeeze out of it or tuning for optimal gains and setup? and how is it as a daily? I ride to work most days but at times will drive.

Thanks again for you're helpful responses. Great forum you got going.

- Mazda 3 MPS

- Subaru WRX/Club Spec

- Mitsubishi Evo IX/X

Hey mate, sounds like you are having the same process I'm going through. Its always good to hear from someone who actually has one. Are you a local? That would be great.

Yeah I plan on tracking the car too. Seems the right thing to do it is designed for it so why not use it :)

Yeah I live in Broadbeach. Happy to let you have a poke around :)

OP, if you intend on tracking the car a fair bit, perhaps also take a Clio 200 for a test drive. In terms of raw driving experience in a new car - the Clio ticks all the boxes. Even better with some track tyres on it

I did consider it but not a great deal, I know even less thank than the Clio, Being NA how much can you squeeze out of it or tuning for optimal gains and setup? and how is it as a daily? I ride to work most days but at times will drive.

Thanks again for you're helpful responses. Great forum you got going.

To be honest if tuning is your thing, you wont get the clio. It is a complete package straight out of the factory. It is difficult to get much more power since it is so highly strung to begin with.

What you do get is a level of driver involvement that very few cars offer. It has supercar levels of agility all packaged up in a hatch.

What you do get is a level of driver involvement that very few cars offer. It has supercar levels of agility all packaged up in a hatch.

Check out this Autocar video if you want to get a sense of what the Clio is all about

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/ford ... io-200-cup

Went through this process only a few months ago.

I made the mistake of letting my other half drive the standard Megane (not an rs)

We then tested a Citroen ds3 sport, an Abarth essesse, a guiletta, an mps, an 86, a ford f*kRS, an SLK55, Scirocco R, Volvo C30, Audi S3 and A1, an M 135 coupe and a Cayman S.

Obviously not all the cars were new ones, but a Cayman is a bit dearer than a Megane… so compromise was decided: cash vs performance vs comfort vs load carrying.

Almost bought the SLK 55, but the missus fell in love with the DS3 sport. I then twisted my missus arm to drive the RS megane as a last resort. She had a very negative opinion of the standard car, but hopped in an RS and it was a no brainer. Why not the SLK??? because we already had 5 mercedes-benz in the driveway at the time we went looking, and I really wanted something different, and so did the other half.

Then we found out that none of the options we wanted for the DS3 were available. After doing the shopping, things came full circle. Sometimes this is what you have to do - you need to let her drive the car, not just what you want to have in the driveway. Things have a habit of working out- and a LY 8:08 sits in the driveway. Every time you get in the car it excites and energizes. It looks fantastic, has a little bit of French Quirkiness (not as much as the citroen though) and goes like sh*t off a chrome shovel.

And to that end, an RS265 will not disappoint. Stick her in a demo trophy + with all the trimmings and then in the red bull, and see which she prefers. I guarantee she will want the electric seats over the recaros. heheh. So then the only compromise you will have to address is whether you get a Red Bull edition or a Trophy+ :nod::hyper:

• 1 month later...