Hello! Not yet a Renault owner :P

onurbmil

Hi all,

Joined this forum so I could do a bit of research for my next car :) The RS250 is very very high up on the list. I am considering others, but I won't mention any names :P

Anyway, with a bit of searching, I've found the RS250 Monaco to be exactly what I want (haven't driven any yet, still in the early researching stages) - but obviously there was only 50 of them and I'm assuming all of them have been sold by now. Now the question is: Are there any owners out there who want to get rid of their RS250 Monacos? :D:D

Haha, well it looks like the 2012 RS250 comes with a GPS and sunroof now... but still rather a Monaco.

I was following the other Monaco 250 thread, seems to be by the end of OCT they were all gone.

Anyway the problem is I was only intending to buy it towards the end of the year anyway - I've only had my current for for just over 2 years.

Of course if opportunity presents itself, I might have to take a dip!

I am currently driving a 2009 Lancer VR Hatch. Once upon time it was wow (well I suppose it was new).. now not so :P

Ah, I'm keeping a lookout for Monacos. I'm sure I might see one or two before the years end. Don't think people will flog them off this early though.

Not too sure on the 19s though. 30 profile seems very uncomfortable (on coutnry roads) and no pressure monitor = flat tyre on country roads = :(

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Tyre pressure monitors would be useful considering I drive alot of bad country roads..

Looks like the prices of the RS250s on carsales have dropped a bit in the past few months. Still would prefer a GPS over the RS monitor and a nice fancy glass roof. As a daily driver that's more appealing to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, well had a discussion about my next car with SWMBO. She's not happy about the RS250 - complaining its only a 3 door (I do agree) and it will be difficult to ferry people around (though that said we could always use her car). Another arguement was if we were to start a family in a few years time.. I might have to let the car go..

What do I tell her :o :o :o She wants an A5 or a 3 series instead...

Tell her you're talking about getting the car soon... the rest of the family hasn't been born yet :wink:

.. and if it's a few years time lets say 2? then perfect! you'll find yourself in the exact same position you're in now.. only you'll be looking for a fam bam ride!

no brainer.. get that Monaco! there's still an AGP on carsales from when i last checked.

Otherwise why not grab yourself a white RS250 Trophee and paint the roof black? :wink: ...least you'll have the other bells and whistles you're looking for

and welcome! I recently got my AGP... it's the best thing ever. period

You need to put this in words a female can understand. Ask her if she would be happy to wear clothes that everyone else wears or would prefer to have a bit of style and be individual...and there are plenty of people that get around with their 250's and have children, even ferry them around in it. Beware though, if you test drive one you will literally fall in love. I used to think that was just an expression until I met mine...

You need to put this in words a female can understand. Ask her if she would be happy to wear clothes that everyone else wears or would prefer to have a bit of style and be individual...and there are plenty of people that get around with their 250's and have children, even ferry them around in it. Beware though, if you test drive one you will literally fall in love. I used to think that was just an expression until I met mine...

True story ^

Except I fell in love as soon as I saw it in the daily telegraph carguide section :nod:

I have a plan to bring her along for the test drive sometime. Though my driving might put her off the car completely :D

The problem with the clothes arguement is.. she's not the type who buys something different. She drives a SP23 (which also needs replacing soon -> maybe this will be the next family wagon) which she absolutely loves even though every other tom dick and harry has one.

Ah, well had a discussion about my next car with SWMBO. She's not happy about the RS250 - complaining its only a 3 door (I do agree) and it will be difficult to ferry people around (though that said we could always use her car). Another arguement was if we were to start a family in a few years time.. I might have to let the car go..

What do I tell her :o :o :o She wants an A5 or a 3 series instead...

See if you can get one for a day.

I sold mine on the idea by giving her the keys to our loaner and letting her take it into work, before midday she had all her colleagues commenting on how nice it was etc.. after work we went out in it and drove through a busy part of town where everyone was looking at it with admiration and want. She was sold :D

I offered her an RX-8 (series 2 GT) or the 370z as alternatives. She does prefer them over the MEgane but I found a flaw in her arguement! The MEgane is def. more practical as we all know :)

Does anyone know if its possible to put a baby seat at the back (not that I will because I'm quite sure it will kill my back.

Yes Apex - I am quite sure if we manage to get one for a day and I let her drive or at least sit in it - she will understand what I'm trying to say :):)

I offered her an RX-8 (series 2 GT) or the 370z as alternatives. She does prefer them over the MEgane but I found a flaw in her arguement! The MEgane is def. more practical as we all know :)

Does anyone know if its possible to put a baby seat at the back (not that I will because I'm quite sure it will kill my back.

Yes Apex - I am quite sure if we manage to get one for a day and I let her drive or at least sit in it - she will understand what I'm trying to say :):)

Good thing I've been rummaging through the manual - as the answer to your baby seat is yes. There're several pages in the cars handbook stating how to fit baby seats at the back.

Get that MEgane already man! :headbang:

Throw me a bone here, she prefers a 2 seater 370z over the megane, but also makes mention of practicality?

Women hey....

- Sam

Throw me a bone here, she prefers a 2 seater 370z over the megane, but also makes mention of practicality?

Women hey....

- Sam

Yes, their logic escapes me many times a day. She did mention how her parents were suppose to get in the car (you know how older folk struggle to get into coupes). I told her that's what her car was for.. I have a bad feeling I shouldn't have said that...

• 2 weeks later...

So just came back from a Test Drive. Drove the Golf GTI as well. Tried to get into a Golf R, 370Z and Evo as well. They wanted me to book a test drive and be ready for a deposit for the Golf R - really? You do release some people actually buy their car based on how well they drive as to the badge? Not to mention the 4-8months waiting time.

I nearly got into the 370z. Until I mentioned my top budget and he said 'good luck mate'. OH well.

Anyway, my initial impressions. The GTI had terrible tyres (yes, the Astra uses the same tyres). More body roll and definitely not as much poke as the RS250. Quieter, seats a bit more comfortable (not used to the recaros). hat I did notice is that the traction control kicks in very early on the GTI. It was a slightly wet day. Struggled to maintain gripe even going around a corner more slowly. I did have 4 people in the car though. $50k asking price.. you must be joking. The DSG was smooth but very lethargic on take-off.

The RS250 was simply in a different league in terms of performance. Once at about 2.5+k rpm, the car feels it wants to pull all the way to the redline ; the GTI felt like it was rasping after 5k rpm (a torque drop -off) and sounded very harsh top end. The clutch, shifts felt very nice. With a car of 5 people, the car surprisingly handles extremely well. Very planted, hardly any wheel spin (in wetter conditions) and the rear passengers liked the exhaust note (I couldn't hear anything). All this was in normal mode (forgot about sport mode in all the excitement).

Interior wise - its not as bad a people think. The dome lights are something to think about but the GTI wasn't that great either - Hard plastics here and there. In fact, I prefer the Megane's interior. People rave about the GTI's interior. It is nothing compared to a Merc/BMW/Audi/Lexus. It feels like a slightly more upmarket Corolla. Very bland. One of the things I don't like about the Megane is the high angle of the speedo. Sorry, my head is not touching the cabin ceiling. Hardly any foot space with the recaros (the standard cup had foot space).

One thing I have to say, the Renault dealer was much nicer than the snobby VW and the arrogant Nissan. Mitsubishi was the worst - they said someone would attend to me - only after waiting for 10 minutes and walking out did someone run after me. Sorry, not interested.

All that's left is to try to get into a 370Z and bring the SWMBO to the Renault dealer!

I was quoted $52.8k for a brand new Grey Trophee with leather, xenons and parkers. What prices have you guys got?

Good to see you enjoyed yourself

after giving my ride a few spirited runs its not very uncommon - I think - to completely forget about sports mode, once you do flick it on however the car just turns into something next level yet again :wink:

as for prices. I know the guys at PW had pricing for a Cup Trophee of around 56k drive away.

Goodluck with your search

What colour were you looking at?

Have you cheched out the Monaco gp on car sales. I have one and am very happy with it. It has the requirements you are looking for pearlesent paint and more conventional seats. The Monacos pearleseant paint is classy and the Monaco seats allow for more space in the rear. They are also heated and electric. The colour and seats as well as the piano black contrasts are one of the reasons I bought mine. The sat nav and glass roof are handy as well. I did also look at buying black but thats a bugger to look after. I owned a BMW M5 in black years ago and the paint deteriorated realy quick. Seeing all those swirl marks in the sun realy anoyed me.

Does anyone know if its possible to put a baby seat at the back (not that I will because I'm quite sure it will kill my back....

)

Having owned a Hyundai Excel (3 Door) many years ago with a young family, I would never encourage someone to buy this type of car if you have a baby (now or in the near future).

Once they can sit themselves in their seat, that's ok....but Baby Capsule and the early years of a Child Seat is a killer.

Yup, im well aware that the Monaco seats have more... foot room. Though I do like the recaros. Ah, so the Monaco is pearleseant paint? that's good. Not really a fan of the sat nav or the white ineerts now. Looks.. a bit tacky. Haha.

Fair enough the white inserts arnt for everyone, i like the white pearlesant inserts (particurlarly on the console). However the trim is all trivial in my mind. Weather it be a cup, a trophee or one of the special editions and regardless of the trim level, in eccence all the cars have the same chassis. If you are looking at having a baby, then realy you should be looking at an alternative. There is very little leg room in the rear, even less with the recaros and i agree with Honest gaza that in the capsule stage it will be unbearable.

If your in Melbourne, give Ian Baird a call from Barry Bourke, he is motivated to sell and the service was exeptional.

I am speaking as a satisfied customer and in buisness there is no better advertising than word of mouth.

Barry Bourke Motors Pty Ltd

755 Princes Highway

Berwick Vic 3806

Tel : (03) 9707 2222

Mob : 0422 751 043

www.barrybourke.com.au

• 3 weeks later...
I did notice is that the traction control kicks in very early on the GTI. It was a slightly wet day. Struggled to maintain gripe even going around a corner more slowly. I did have 4 people in the car though.

:?: I'd imagine with more people in the car that the traction control would be less likely to kick in. Tyres must really be bad.

The DSG was smooth but very lethargic on take-off.

This might explain why it seems so easy to out drag a GTi from take off :twisted:

the rear passengers liked the exhaust note (I couldn't hear anything). All this was in normal mode (forgot about sport mode in all the excitement).

If you get another drive with no rear passengers - fold the rear seats down :wink: Save sports mode for clear roads IMO - I know there are some who use sports mode every day, but I have no issues being fast around town in normal mode.

Hardly any foot space with the recaros (the standard cup had foot space).

Use the seat height adjusting lever to raise the seat height and the rear passengers will be able to slide their feet under the bar.

I was quoted $52.8k for a brand new Grey Trophee with leather, xenons and parkers. What prices have you guys got?

Sounds pretty good. In NSW you're paying over $56k for brand new. I got my demonstrator with 1700kms on the clock and 3 months into new car warranty for $50,888.

My understanding was that if you buy a demonstrator from the initial dealer, the warranty commences from the day you take delivery, however I may be wrong. It may be worth checking Jorge.

It was very explicit that the warranty commences the day that the car is first registered - I'm not overly fussed about that, the dealer offered me an extended warranty as well, subject to the condition that I had all interval services performed at the dealership. A bit of an annoyance, but I'm complying for now.

Unfortunately the sale with Ren5Turbo2 fell through so I'm still looking! Might be moving to Melb before the end of the year so I might put off the purchase till I move down. SWMBO has also mentioend there are plenty of RS250s down there - unless shes confusing it with teh Megane hatch, which looks somewhat similar.

The GTI I drove (I noticed before I sat in it) - had Bridgestone Turanzas ER300. This is a passenger car tyre - yes, its the standard one you see everywhere!. Terrible. Not to mention when I mentioned the MEgane the salesman got very arrogant and said VWs are the BEST cars in the world and noone can match what they make. Sorry but Toyota still beats you (maybe even more once they revive their long-dead sports variants) :wink: