New RS 275 Trophy Owner

mattk

Hi all,

Just purchased a Megane RS 275 Trophy, picking up this Wednesday. Driving from Sydney to Brisbane which should be a lot of fun.

Back to Renault after a long hiatus. My dad used to have a Clio 172, then a Megane 225 and they left a big impression on me. 

Curious to know if anyone has upgraded their Trophy to the Ohlins DFV dampers? I would have loved a Trophy R but sadly needed a rear seat. The Ohlins upgrade is very tempting though.

Matt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattk said:

Curious to know if anyone has upgraded their Trophy to the Ohlins DFV dampers? I would have loved a Trophy R but sadly needed a rear seat. The Ohlins upgrade is very tempting though.

Congratulations on your purchase :) 

With the ohlins, I enquired and they are extremely hard to source which makes it extrremely expensive. 

In short, I eventually spoke directly to Renault Sport in France and it was going to costs just under $8k AUD for the set with an estimated delivery time of 4-6 months. 

Plenty of reputable aftermarket coilover sets available, just depends on your preference with the setup. 

Hi ak275,

Interesting re the Ohlins. I've only been able to find them listed on eBay for approx $4k ex GST (springs extra). Not sure how I feel about spending this kind of cash on a Polish seller though, despite loads of positive feedback...

Hi ak275,
Interesting re the Ohlins. I've only been able to find them listed on eBay for approx $4k ex GST (springs extra). Not sure how I feel about spending this kind of cash on a Polish seller though, despite loads of positive feedback...
Yeah I think plenty of people have had good service from them, but I think that figure (4K) was just for the fronts or something (last I checked).

17 minutes ago, ak275 said:

Yes $2.5k for ONE front coilover and $1.5k for ONE rear shock absorber. 

I was obsessing over getting them big time however just couldn't come to terms with $8k

My mistake, I thought the price was for the front pair, not a single damper. That's a bit out of my price range now!

• Haha 1

On 17/02/2020 at 4:03 PM, roblee8g said:

I think Matt205 still has some for sale.  See the For Sale thread.

I have a set of rears, with springs, will get you half way! There was a set of fronts on eBay from a seller in France recently for ~$3 K for the pair.

Having fitted Ohlins to mine, and also having driven a few TR's as well, they are impressive.

Cool car the Trophy, enjoy and I if I can help out at all I'd be happy to.

11 hours ago, Gambit said:

No that i'd know but most people who upgrade the Ohlins seem to go for the AST's and they rave about them, cheaper than a brand new set of Ohlins from Renault too.

Do rate the AST's highly. @DOOOOK might drop in as he is running them as well. Not sure on his name on the forum but a regular at Targa has a set as well.

Just read this post andHad a look at one of the local distributors websites. The 5100s $4500 for a set of 4? Is that correct? Wow! They’d want to be bloody good. Also guy that sold me my Meg III Trophy late last year recommended them. 
So what exactly would a set of these provide over and above the factory springs? What are the benefits? I’m a bit new to this type of technology. 
thanks!

Hi all,

After driving over 1,000k up from Syd to Bris last week I feel I got to know the car well (and I met a nice police officer outside Stanthorpe....).

Some observations from the drive:

Torque steer! Really prevalent on bumpy roads when overtaking. Felt like I was fighting the car.

Ferocious grip. The front Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will be due for replacement soon but even then the grip was crazy. You'd have to be very committed to unstick the car in the dry. I'm doing a track day in a few weeks so will put this to the test!

Not as playful as the Clio 172 I remember so fondly. To be expected, but I miss the sense of playing on the limit and never feeling in imminent danger. Again, maybe the track day will change my opinion.

The gear shift feels a bit sloppy. I'd be curious to know if anyone has fitted a short shift kit and would recommend it?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mattk said:

Hi all,

After driving over 1,000k up from Syd to Bris last week I feel I got to know the car well (and I met a nice police officer outside Stanthorpe....).

Some observations from the drive:

Torque steer! Really prevalent on bumpy roads when overtaking. Felt like I was fighting the car.

Ferocious grip. The front Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will be due for replacement soon but even then the grip was crazy. You'd have to be very committed to unstick the car in the dry. I'm doing a track day in a few weeks so will put this to the test!

Not as playful as the Clio 172 I remember so fondly. To be expected, but I miss the sense of playing on the limit and never feeling in imminent danger. Again, maybe the track day will change my opinion.

The gear shift feels a bit sloppy. I'd be curious to know if anyone has fitted a short shift kit and would recommend it?

This seems to be popular amongst OZ RS forums members and well regarded...

https://www.short-shifters.com/pk4018-shift.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 3:07 PM, Matt205 said:

There's a very simple DIY short shift option too.

@Matt205 do you have a link to a tutorial? Have heard about this option. 

Unfortunately I'm terrible on the tools. Perhaps Renotech could be persuaded to get it done for a reasonable price? Or I'll bring a slab (or two) around? 😘