Hello, Looking for opinion/advice on first RS car

Sansari

Hello guys, looking to buy my first ever car. Currently driving a Toyota Yaris but it’s not mine and the Clio Sport 197 has cought my attention, but they are too damn hard to find on any car markets. 

I have found one on car sales and was looking for advice if it’s worth the price and aswell as what to be aware of about these cars (reliability, problems etc) 

here is the link to the clio from car sales: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-Renault-Clio-Sport-197-Manual/SSE-AD-5682898?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5682898

• Like 1

Welcome!

Good choice. Some people mention something about third gear, so worth paying attention to shifting when you're test driving.

This owner seems to know their stuff. Many will comment on what they've mentioned: "Full timing belt service completed competed March 2019. Including vvt pulley water pump, drive belt etc. "

These cars are amazing, and built proof if looked after. They seem to be holding their value at about $8K so seems reasonable. They were about that when I was looking about 3 years ago! But the market is what the market is. You can always make an offer though.

Check the gearbox for crunching in gears while driving, also check the steering for clunks. The steering rack can usually be fixed with a new bushing but the gearbox would be an expensive fix. Other than that it seems this one has had the major stuff done to it already. I'm not a fan of that gearknob but that can easily be changed.

Check out this 2012 Renault Clio Sport 200 Cup Manual MY12.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Renault-Clio-Sport-200-Cup-Manual-MY12/SSE-AD-6020138

Take a punt and offer $9000 for this and mention you've seen the condition that it's currently in.

It's parked two doors down from me and hasn't moved in months x is covered in leaves and dirt.

The price has also been steadily dropping for the past 6 months.

The paper in the window has 2 different prices to what is currently listed at.

Even if you need to give it a detail and some love and it doesn't have gearbox crunch, you'll end up with a 200.

Make the offer subject to the condition of the paint post car wash.

If it is stained, $8000.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Safetyman said:

Check out this 2012 Renault Clio Sport 200 Cup Manual MY12.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Renault-Clio-Sport-200-Cup-Manual-MY12/SSE-AD-6020138

Take a punt and offer $9000 for this and mention you've seen the condition that it's currently in.

It's parked two doors down from me and hasn't moved in months x is covered in leaves and dirt.

The price has also been steadily dropping for the past 6 months.

The paper in the window has 2 different prices to what is currently listed at.

Even if you need to give it a detail and some love and it doesn't have gearbox crunch, you'll end up with a 200.

Make the offer subject to the condition of the paint post car wash.

If it is stained, $8000.

Thanks bro but still too much for me, he also lives in nsw and I am in vic lol. Can’t make that happen 

2 hours ago, dn2blue said:

Check the gearbox for crunching in gears while driving, also check the steering for clunks. The steering rack can usually be fixed with a new bushing but the gearbox would be an expensive fix. Other than that it seems this one has had the major stuff done to it already. I'm not a fan of that gearknob but that can easily be changed.

Thanks man, I’ll look for those 

This could be a really good buy. It's advertised as a 197 but it's actually a Clio 200 2010 trophy :biggrin: you can tell by the front bumper. It also has the much sought after Recaro's. No 197's had those except the R27.

You are in Vic but you might have to travel to get the right car.Tell him you'll buy it if he ships it to Vic. I got free delivery from Perth on my white one. :headbang:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundall/cars-vans-utes/2009-renault-clio-c85-sport-197-silver-6-speed-manual-hatchback/1216962023

Edited by apple3337
  • Like 2

Image result for car spoiler images

you'd need to drill holes for these... 

the lip spoilers should bolt on to the original points 👍

damn,  that silver one would fit on the Lemons car ! 😎🍋

Edited by rob 240
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, dn2blue said:

I'm not a fan of that gearknob but that can easily be changed.

What are you saying?  It's straight out of the Naughty But Nice catalogue... 😝

Agreed the car looks to be well cared for.  The 200 with the Recaros (listed as a 197) could be hard to go past as well.  a lot of value in that spec.

16 hours ago, Safetyman said:

That's a $100 flight these days.

And you get refunded the registration that's remaining until December.

From my recent experience, it's seldom worth the bother trying to chase interstate rego refunds.  I posted this on another forum.

I recently purchased a car from NSW and just had it registered in QLD.  So I thought I would enquire with NSW RMS about getting a refund on the unused portion of the rego.  Vehicle has 3 months left with the expiry date 8th October.  The maths goes like this:

1.       Registration component is non-refundable.  We only refund the road tax component on a pro rata basis.  This is $280 for 12 months so pro rata is $70.

2.       In order to do this, rego has to be transferred to me first.  $34 admin fee.  $36 remaining.

3.       After it is transferred to me, it can be cancelled.  $30 admin fee.  $6 remaining.

4.       “I’m sorry sir, we don’t refund amounts less than $6 but we can hold that as credit for you for future dealings with RMS”.  But I live in QLD, why would I have future dealings with RMS NSW.

5.       Net gain. $0.

So how about I try and get a refund on the CTP.  Contact the insurer.  The premium was $400 for 12 months so maybe I can get $100 back.

1.       Need to provide proof of cancelled rego from RMS first. F#$@!

2.       I didn’t bother asking what the admin fee would be…I just gave up.

Fun times…

• Like 1

We've probably got the biggest a***hole of a motor registry to deal with for that though.

I received a $600 refund from ACT when I bought my 265 and even Tassie refunded a small component.
Bonus with Tassie was I got to keep the plates too so the kids have one each in their bedrooms.
No arguments [emoji106]

11 hours ago, Sansari said:

Looks like it’s on decent condition, how about I make an offer of 5k 

How about you come up a little and me down and we meet some where in the middle for cash today and you can drive it home today

• Like 2

On 19/07/2019 at 11:07 AM, 63x1092 said:

How about you come up a little and me down and we meet some where in the middle for cash today and you can drive it home today

I’ll check this car out first and if nothing happens then I’ll message you