New here ( 2013 Renault Megane RS265 Cup)

Schwiftysport24

Heya everyone,

Just recently joined up (am a bit late joining but oh well, better late then never) as I recently got myself a 2013 Renault Megane RS 265 Cup also wanted to say hello as well.

Moving from a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport this car is amazing! Absolutely enjoying it! First ever proper hot hatch so still in shock honestly.

Also does anyone have any tips on where to start in terms of brake pads etc? I also do want to change the headlight bulbs as well (this may sound dumb BUT I think they are halogen could be wrong but yeah, any help will be appreciated)

Thanks everyone 😁

IMG_20190528_165229.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome @Schwiftysport24 , powerbulbs is telling me you have H7 as your lowbeam and highbeam , based on photo's ive seen from the front of your car if i have the right model , one is a projector housing (will look abit like a magnifying lens) and the other is halogen.

On my Clio my lowbeams are projector and highbeams halogen so i am going to assume it is the same just for the time being , if you can take a photo of your front i can tell you exactly.

For projector beams if you want a decent set of lights you will need to invest in a HID (high intensity discharge) kit at 4700k-5000k max , otherwise just run any reputable brand bulb if your not bothered.

However with the highbeams i strongly recommend buying LED and i highly recommend these , they come with a ABS plastic skirt that is moveable so you should be able to get the right angle , they are only 36w per bulb so they use less power then a conventional bulb and when aimed correctly to the design of your headlights they are super..super bright , you won't want to go back to any conventional bulb after that and if you do it correctly you won't blind oncoming traffic unless your car is on highbeams and they are adjacent to you within a small distance at night (which your highbeams should be off anyway).

In terms of beam length they fall abit short of a conventional bulb , but in terms of clarity in a 160-190* angle in front of you especially if you like going for night drives around corners fast nothing on the market compares , unless you wanna spend money on another HID kit but even then they don't last as long and 9 times out of 10 they will burn your headlight housing if you get anything over 55w generally as the heat they generate is substantial without any proper cooling , compare the Nighteye and any HID kit for example , the nighteyes have either a fan or a heatsink and the HID kits have nothing. 

In terms of brake pads id snap up a set from Sparesbox as they have a sale at the moment that most stores won't be able to match , these are what you want to be using , especially if you have OEM brembos brake calipers (which i assume you do).

Important note: don't put LEDs in any projector housing , you will have beam scatter and it will be an absolute nightmare and you will have fuck all visibility. i speak from experience.

Brembos.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Schwiftysport24 said:

Heya everyone,

Just recently joined up (am a bit late joining but oh well, better late then never) as I recently got myself a 2013 Renault Megane RS 265 Cup also wanted to say hello as well.

Moving from a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport this car is amazing! Absolutely enjoying it! First ever proper hot hatch so still in shock honestly.

Also does anyone have any tips on where to start in terms of brake pads etc? I also do want to change the headlight bulbs as well (this may sound dumb BUT I think they are halogen could be wrong but yeah, any help will be appreciated)

Thanks everyone 😁

IMG_20190528_165229.jpg

Those are non projector halogen headlights so you should be able to put better globes in.
Keep in mind retrofitting a HID kit state dependant is illegal unless you have washers and an automatic leveling system. Yes been in a car and seen a cop book and sticker someone for it in VIC.
As for brakes depending on what sort of driving I highly recommend the guys from brakesdirect cheapest i have seen by far sale or not and super helpful.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, will definitely have a look at what you have suggested...  

Here's another pic of the headlights @NTRDR that I hope is better

Hope you all are having a good day 😁

MVIMG_20190530_134348.jpg

• Like 1

@Schwiftysport24 those are definitely non projector , halogen housings.

You would be safe with those bulbs i linked provided you buy the H7 (but please double check your manual or local supercheap auto/autobarn/repco to be 100% sure)

I suggest you buy 1 set , see how you like them then go for a second. it will be easier to install with the fan variety as i would not put it past the french to make it incredibly difficult to install bulbs on the megane as well.

The fans offer the highest power output/brightness compared to the heatsink , but as aforementioned just make sure you angle them properly. when you get them , with your highbeams make sure the LED's are facing UP and DOWN , with your lowbeams i would suggest the same but depending on the output you may be ok with side to side as the beam looks like it will get cut off at a certain angle anyway.

Once you go down some dark streets and you flip on the highbeams with those NightEyes you won't ever go back to a standard bulb ever again , just remember doesn't matter what highbeams you have you will still blind oncoming traffic adjacent to you so common courtesy applies (i.e don't drive around with your Hi Beams on all the time)

They arn't difficult to install you could certainly do it yourself but just make sure you have a firm grip so you don't drop it in the undertray (i have done it before ...it is not fun)

On 27/06/2019 at 12:04 PM, NTRDR said:

@Schwiftysport24 those are definitely non projector , halogen housings.

You would be safe with those bulbs i linked provided you buy the H7 (but please double check your manual or local supercheap auto/autobarn/repco to be 100% sure)

I suggest you buy 1 set , see how you like them then go for a second. it will be easier to install with the fan variety as i would not put it past the french to make it incredibly difficult to install bulbs on the megane as well.

The fans offer the highest power output/brightness compared to the heatsink , but as aforementioned just make sure you angle them properly. when you get them , with your highbeams make sure the LED's are facing UP and DOWN , with your lowbeams i would suggest the same but depending on the output you may be ok with side to side as the beam looks like it will get cut off at a certain angle anyway.

Once you go down some dark streets and you flip on the highbeams with those NightEyes you won't ever go back to a standard bulb ever again , just remember doesn't matter what highbeams you have you will still blind oncoming traffic adjacent to you so common courtesy applies (i.e don't drive around with your Hi Beams on all the time)

They arn't difficult to install you could certainly do it yourself but just make sure you have a firm grip so you don't drop it in the undertray (i have done it before ...it is not fun)

Heya @NTRDR

You're awesome! Thanks so much for your help! Will definitely purchase some of the headlights bulbs and have noticed my brakes have been squeaking for a while so "may" invest in some new brake pads to 

Also, was also keen on getting some new tires for Ren(I've names the car I know off but yeah haha). I have Maxxtrek tyres on ATM (never even heard of them before in my life. So was wondering if you'd know what to recommend on terms of tyres? 

If there's anything else you can recommend I'd appreciate it. This is my first Renault Megane RS265 so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Though in saying that, have been having a blast in it to be honest. Love the pops it does (albeit with a little concern as I am worried the police will think I'm "hooning"(aka making excess noise haha) ).

Get yourself a brake bleed kit  as well as a Piston Pusher

And do a brake fluid change while you are at it its easy to do and you wont need 2 people , personally recommend Motul RBF600 for street and light track day use , grab 2 bottles. you will notice a huge difference in braking , alot more responsive , spend some time on Youtube and if still uneasy get a mate to come around. for under $100 + pads and some of your time the safety and stopping distance gained is well worth the trouble , also handy tools to have to help family and friends with their cars also.

Never heard of Maxxtrek either , probably some cheap dealer/mechanic tyres bought at bulk, With tyres i personally stick with Bridgestone but have heard great things about Conti Sport Contact 5 from Continental which are all season tyres , depending on your wallet first and foremost i would just stick with summer tyres due to the power output of the car but if mileage is a concern try to find sport-touring tyres , they are a mix between regular sports and touring so they offer a good amount of grip without sacrificing tread wear too much when planting it , they also do OK in the wet (bridgestone t001's as an example). tyres ultimately come down to personal preference though , i will never understand the type of person who complains about tyre noise but then again i never hear them over my exhaust noise even with the windows up anyway :)

On 25/06/2019 at 4:28 AM, NTRDR said:

Welcome @Schwiftysport24 , powerbulbs is telling me you have H7 as your lowbeam and highbeam , based on photo's ive seen from the front of your car if i have the right model , one is a projector housing (will look abit like a magnifying lens) and the other is halogen.

On my Clio my lowbeams are projector and highbeams halogen so i am going to assume it is the same just for the time being , if you can take a photo of your front i can tell you exactly.

For projector beams if you want a decent set of lights you will need to invest in a HID (high intensity discharge) kit at 4700k-5000k max , otherwise just run any reputable brand bulb if your not bothered.

However with the highbeams i strongly recommend buying LED and i highly recommend these , they come with a ABS plastic skirt that is moveable so you should be able to get the right angle , they are only 36w per bulb so they use less power then a conventional bulb and when aimed correctly to the design of your headlights they are super..super bright , you won't want to go back to any conventional bulb after that and if you do it correctly you won't blind oncoming traffic unless your car is on highbeams and they are adjacent to you within a small distance at night (which your highbeams should be off anyway).

In terms of beam length they fall abit short of a conventional bulb , but in terms of clarity in a 160-190* angle in front of you especially if you like going for night drives around corners fast nothing on the market compares , unless you wanna spend money on another HID kit but even then they don't last as long and 9 times out of 10 they will burn your headlight housing if you get anything over 55w generally as the heat they generate is substantial without any proper cooling , compare the Nighteye and any HID kit for example , the nighteyes have either a fan or a heatsink and the HID kits have nothing. 

In terms of brake pads id snap up a set from Sparesbox as they have a sale at the moment that most stores won't be able to match , these are what you want to be using , especially if you have OEM brembos brake calipers (which i assume you do).

Important note: don't put LEDs in any projector housing , you will have beam scatter and it will be an absolute nightmare and you will have fuck all visibility. i speak from experience.

Brembos.jpg

+1 On the Nighteye, I have used them for iver 5+ years on various cars. Quality and value over many of the aftermarket led products that are available today when it comes to headlight bulbs.

Another welcome and another vote for Nighteye's!

Brake Pads, OEM Brembo or Genuine Renault (TRW I think?) are all you'll ever need for anything up to track sprints. 

Edited by Matt205

• 6 months later...

From the RS Megane forum...

I've always used PIAA Extreme White bulbs on my non-xenon cars, yes they're pricey but you get what you pay for and they effectively produce 110W but only draw 55W (or whatever the numbers are) through the loom so it doesn’t burn anything out. They're as close to xenons as possible on a normal bulb.

Anyone tried PIAA?

https://rsmegane.com/threads/headlight-bulbs.13410/

• Like 1

Heya @NTRDR

You're awesome! Thanks so much for your help! Will definitely purchase some of the headlights bulbs and have noticed my brakes have been squeaking for a while so "may" invest in some new brake pads to 

Also, was also keen on getting some new tires for Ren(I've names the car I know off but yeah haha). I have Maxxtrek tyres on ATM (never even heard of them before in my life. So was wondering if you'd know what to recommend on terms of tyres? 

If there's anything else you can recommend I'd appreciate it. This is my first Renault Megane RS265 so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Though in saying that, have been having a blast in it to be honest. Love the pops it does (albeit with a little concern as I am worried the police will think I'm "hooning"(aka making excess noise haha) ).
Out of the three tires I ran, the original Michelin PS2, Bridgestone RE003 and the PS4, the PS4 was undoubtedly the best in terms of road handling especially in the wet, good durability (30k+ km) and priced reasonably at well under $300 each.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk