Owning A Renault Clio Sport!

lparri19

Hello all!

I'm new to renaults and have a few questions I'm currently looking at a 2014 Renault Clio sport trophy, it was listed at 26,888 and has gone down to 25,888 I've test drove it and loved it, such a torquey enjoyable ride, now I've looked around and have found no cars for sale that are the same as the model I'm looking at so i have no clue if the price is right, the car has 16,500kms and is being sold by a dealership, I would also like to know how much are parts and how good has your Renault been to you (reliability) ect

So hopefully someone car answer a few of my questions and just tell me the basics with owning a Renault!

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to ozRS :)

There haven't been a lot of Clio IV RS's for sale that aren't nearly new/demo, so we don't have a lot of recent sales to compare with this one. There have been a couple of base Sports for sale in the very low $20K's, so maybe use this as a reference.

As the kms are low I'd apply a basic formula to the price. Search up new price with on roads. Apply a 15% depreciation per year since manufacture date. Use that calculated price as a starting point to negotiations considering the cars records and remaining warranty. Just a thought.

• Like 1

As above re price but also use Redbook as a guide.

Sports trophy and sports premium are rare for some reason.

Be aware that the trophy you're purchasing is likely 2013 or early 2014, meaning it will have 3 year manufacturer warranty. Post June 2014 they came with 5 (and are called sports premium). You'll get your standard statutory warranty with the dealer though.

Reliability of my Megane has been spotless. It's a 2013. Renault had publicly admitted reliability concerns and from I think 2011 onwards or thereabouts started upping the ante and it seems have worked out well for owners. Mind you there'll always be a lemon out there, regardless of a manufacturer's reputation. Also dealers are not the manufacturers and can be morons - I.e. damage your car, not fix it properly, refuse to admit there's anything wrong with the car (VW dealers anyone?).

Have a look through the Clio IV thread at the reported issues and make sure the one you buy doesn't have those issues.

No what chuck above was saying is that you should be fine as your car is likely older than 2011 as he says. Having said that I'm in a 2002 RS Clio and it is hellishly reliable and I still after 10 yrs really enjoy it each time I start it. Parts will be pretty much the same as any other car too. It's a misnomer that Renault are more expensive.

Edited by Mase
  • Like 1

Yes I should clarify that the reliability was Renault across the aboard including their Turkish assembled cars which are apparently worse.

Renault sports are all built in Dieppe, France. Their pride in RS is huge and seems to make a difference. Relativity speaking little happens to them if they've been serviced.

The flip side to you only having the balance of 3yrs on yours is that the exact same cars are given 5yrs which reflects Renault's confidence in their product.

In regards to cost of repair it's more the availability of spares that will be an issue. Otherwise something like a polo gti will cost the same repair.

• Like 1

Yeah there this thing believe it or not that started probably in the 70's. A lot of the Renaults entering the country were engineering wise a lot different than what was the current staple diet thus many mechanics just didn't want to deal with that hence the ragging. You know it's Australia in back then it was a bit more insular and it pretty much stuck. My Clio is above 200 k now and punts along hard. I've also learnt a lot from this forum thus I manage nearly all my upkeep myself. It's a gold mine this forum [emoji106]

• Like 1

I cant speak for others but reliability of my 2010 Clio Cup (when I had it) and now my Megane GT220 hasn't been flawless.

The Clio dropped dead one day, full dash of xmas tree lights, caused by a faulty ECU connector. The clutch also failed after 15000km, caused by a manufacturing assembly issue.

Megane, hasn't been a smooth ride at all. Starting issues (compatibility with aussie fuels), also dropped dead a few months ago with a blown fusebox. The gearbox is now starting to get very notchy and there is some problem going from 2nd to 3rd with some excessive noise almost as if the clutch isnt disengaging properly. Not happy with it right now

Speak to enough people and you'll always find one that has had a less than perfect experience, even Corolla's break. The important thing is to place it in perspective, I.e. ask 10 owners 9 have a great experience 1 has an issue, focus on the 9 not the 1.

I've owned French cars for over 25 years and on balance my experience has been positive, never really experienced parts supply issues or overly expensive parts prices. If you are used to walking into SuperCheap or KMart and buying brake pads (as an example) off the shelf I can see how some might have an issue, but really a Renault Sport is not that kind of car.

• Like 1

@Dave200 If you want, I know some great gearbox guys in Ingleburn you could bring it to.

I'm sure you would want to get it sorted before it needlessly goes pop. Sounds like the synchro's. Been driving it hard? There's a simple fix for this.

Around $200 to make nice and stronger than before.

Speak to enough people and you'll always find one that has had a less than perfect experience, even Corolla's break. The important thing is to place it in perspective, I.e. ask 10 owners 9 have a great experience 1 has an issue, focus on the 9 not the 1.

I've owned French cars for over 25 years and on balance my experience has been positive, never really experienced parts supply issues or overly expensive parts prices. If you are used to walking into SuperCheap or KMart and buying brake pads (as an example) off the shelf I can see how some might have an issue, but really a Renault Sport is not that kind of car.

I agree. I am willing to live with the issues as it is a good car besides the problems. Just wish it wasn't my wife getting stranded on the side of a road with a screaming baby...

@Dave200 If you want, I know some great gearbox guys in Ingleburn you could bring it to.

I'm sure you would want to get it sorted before it needlessly goes pop. Sounds like the synchro's. Been driving it hard? There's a simple fix for this.

Around $200 to make nice and stronger than before.

Thanks for the offer mate. If it does go pop then I will let Renault deal with it under warranty.

Thanks for the offer mate. If it does go pop then I will let Renault deal with it under warranty.

It's up to you how long you want the gearbox to last.

Dominic at On-the-Mark-Automotive does my gearboxes. 02).9605-9964.

He's ex-Renault and he explained clearly to me about the need to trick the gearbox after up-ing the power on the engines.

3d9fcaae78bbc52fe686ca3c57c74efd.jpg

I want to spray the rims black and the callipers red, like the cup not because people will think it's a cup but only cause it looks good[emoji5] I've looked about and found some quoting around $999,

Edited by lparri19

Congrats!

DIY is really simple as long as you can jack up a car and take the wheel off safely.

Rims can be coated in plastidip, it is literally foolproof, check out youtube vids.

For brakes, simply grab red caliper spray paint and clear coat caliper paint, mask the rotors, brake lines and any suspension components, i use plastic bags and masking tape to cover large areas easily and then spray to your hearts content. Also worth roughing up the calipers with sandpaper first to help the paint bond. 2 coats each of red paint and 2 coats of clear and it will look shmick.

Congrats on the new purchase. Good luck with the cosmetic changes. I agree the black wheels and red calipers look great. Could consider black wrap for the roof too. That 220-esque look is pretty good too with the rest against white

Congrats on the new purchase. Good luck with the cosmetic changes. I agree the black wheels and red calipers look great. Could consider black wrap for the roof too. That 220-esque look is pretty good too with the rest against white

That would look good, do you know where you could get that done in melbourne?

I'm sure someone on the forum will...

I was looking at that one! Ended up going with the cup premium that was also for sale.

In my driveway now, also white but with more black bits.

If you find out let me know! I reckon that would look awesome on the White.

Haha that's funny! Did you take it for a test drive? I think yours had around 40ks I think I looked at yours As Well?. And I found a place in Mitcham called ultimate car wraps they do roof and bonnet for $299

And how are you liking the car I know you've only had it for a little bit but what don't you like and what do you like? I pick mine up in a weekish[emoji16]

Lol. No I didn't. Took a couple of demos for a spin from Essendon (they're awesome btw) but couldn't go past the cup premium. When they said they'd do it as a Renault approved vehicle, sort new tyres and chuck in a Renault Sport cycling cap it sealed the deal.

Great thing to drive. I've come from a Meg II R26 and in traffic it's chalk and cheese. Even on the freeway the Clio is more comfortable.

Haha that's funny! Did you take it for a test drive? I think yours had around 40ks I think I looked at yours As Well?. And I found a place in Mitcham called ultimate car wraps they do roof and bonnet for $299

And how are you liking the car I know you've only had it for a little bit but what don't you like and what do you like? I pick mine up in a weekish[emoji16]

Thats a very good price for a wrap i paid 220 just for roof a spoiler

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

IMO roof and spoiler only works not bonnet. Each to their own but that reflects the 220 livery which I think looks great (I may be biased of course...) :)

IMO roof and spoiler only works not bonnet. Each to their own but that reflects the 220 livery which I think looks great (I may be biased of course...) :)

Im with ya on that one bonnet a bit too much

d564cebd40b10dd8cc1354fac66e6e1d.jpg

Just enough wrap

Well spent if you ask me. Looks great!

• Like 1

Why not go for red wheels? :wink:

Was actually considering doing that to myne haha

Alright guys so I'm picking the car up next Friday!! So exited, anyways most of you guys have probably Been in the situation of the dealerships trying to convince you to pay even more on car protection packages such as cosmetic car repair to interior coating I've been sent these 2 packages

Option 1

HI Gloss Coating: $1295

Leather: $880

Fabric & Carpet: $790

Vinyl: $555

We are offering option 1 for $2350 with FREE and 3 year Cosmetic Repair Membership.

Option 2

We are offering option 2 for $1795

Now what do you guys think? Is it really worth it? I mean maybe the high gloss coating? I'm always getting bird shet and tree sap on my car /:,

Anyways I'm just after some advise!

Cheers

We didn't get paint protection through the dealership, however ours is on street parked and close to the bay so booked in with Dan's Garage Detailing for 2 stage paint correction and multiple coats of Opti-Coat Pro+. Was slightly more expensive than Renault but the results were amazing. He's suggested we maintain it with Kamikaze Overcoat every 6 weeks or so and interim with HD Touch to offer an additional sacrificial layer. He does have a bit of a waiting list though.

Alright guys so I'm picking the car up next Friday!! So exited, anyways most of you guys have probably Been in the situation of the dealerships trying to convince you to pay even more on car protection packages such as cosmetic car repair to interior coating I've been sent these 2 packages

Option 1

We are offering option 1 for $2350 with FREE and 3 year Cosmetic Repair Membership.

Option 2

We are offering option 2 for $1795

Now what do you guys think? Is it really worth it? I mean maybe the high gloss coating? I'm always getting bird shet and tree sap on my car /:,

Anyways I'm just after some advise!

Cheers

As others have said get it done privately

Never trust the dealers with things like that, either to do it properly or to give you a fair price

Local detailer would do my car in some special thing I forgot the name of (10yr warranty) including clay bar, polish, everything for $1500

• Like 1

We specifically tell the dealer not to wash the car when it's been in for service too.

Me too   :mrgreen:

As others have said get it done privately

Never trust the dealers with things like that, either to do it properly or to give you a fair price

Local detailer would do my car in some special thing I forgot the name of (10yr warranty) including clay bar, polish, everything for $1500

Plus 1 to this.  Definitely better value to get it done privately.  I can recommend Opticoat.  Covers all surfaces, including even the glass, light lenses, even wheels and brake calipers.  And of course interior surfaces too.  Looks the goods!! Great warranty too.

Edited by No152
  • Like 1

How long does this Opticoat stuff last before you need to fork out another $1500?

It is permanent.  It is a clear coat, not a paint sealant.  Cures very hard (and shiny...  :yes: ) and needs to be sanded off to remove or correct, so for this reason it is best applied by a professional.  Carries a lifetime warranty (whatever that really means), but it does not need to be reapplied.  There are care limitations for the warranty to be so long, but pretty impressive stuff all the same.  I went with the full Opticoat Pro Plus (cleaning plus three coat system on the paint).  Cost me about $1200 for the whole lot a year of so ago (car was brand new - not sure if that changes anything).

Read about it here..

http://opticoat.com.au/

I know there are other variants of this form of protection too, but I have only had experience with Opticoat, and can recommend it.

Other forum members will be able to chime in with other versions of clear coat systems I am sure.  In any event, don't waste the $$ through the dealers, as you will get the full treatment inside and out for the entire car for about the dealer's price for the paint sealant alone.

Hope that helps...