Owning A Renault Clio Sport!

lparri19

I find this all baffling. I clean my car every few weeks. Every now and again I apply polish. These days I use a spray on wipe off type from Maguires. The car is a 2002 silver 172 and the paint looks like new. So that's about 14 years and probably $400 in polish.

I find the action of lovingly cleaning and polishing bonds me with the car. I understand some people are short term owners and change cars on a regular basis, or not interested in these types of activities. Time plays a factor for some.

Either way personally I have always rejected the point of sale or aftermarket paint protection cause really I can get the same result or better plus the emotional feel good stuff.

Not for everyone tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah...in my view aftermarket paint protection is all BS & just a way of relieving you of more cash at the point of sale.

Eventually you have to polish it anyway.

What you are doing is more than adequate to look after the car and I use the same lazy man's :nod: spray on polish as you and mine still looks new however it is less than 2 years old... :mrgreen:

Horses for courses for sure. Paint protection is not a substitute for washing the car though. It makes washing it and keeping the surface perfect that much easier and in the case if the clear coat products out now, bonds with the surface to protect it from degradation and pitting at the micro level.

It removes the polishing step I guess which is the application of a very short term surface layer by applying a very hard long term layer.

Same outcome different method. I wash my car every time I drive it before tucking her away back in the garage...

I'm not sure the selection of newer technology to maintain the surface of the car paint creates any less of a bond with the car, but I do understand what you are alluding to. For some it may be a convenience thing so they feel less guilty taking their car through the drive in car wash... That doesn't happen with any of my cars...

• Like 1

Ha! This is most interesting to read other people's thoughts on Opticoat as that was going to be my default option when I got my 220 delivered but after talking to a few car detailers around the place (mostly sydney) I was told that while Opticoat is excellent the chemical formula hasn't been updated in years and other brands have since surpassed it. It's main problem is that is isn't really hydrophobic.

In the end I've got myself booked in with Superior Shine and Scott will be using Ceramic Pro, which is designed to go on and never require maintenance or touch-ups.

That said, if I were in Vic I'd be contacting Final Inspection. I really really trust those guys, they've never once given bad advise to my family living down there.

If you're after more advise on car detailing, paint protection and the like, www.detailparadise.com.au is a really good forum to sift through.

Anyways, I shall end my two cents here.

There's a fairly comprehensive discuss of paint protection over on the Detail Paradise forum if you're after more info too.

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/showthread.php?12010-Difference-between-paint-protection-options

Whoops, missed your post. Good to know great minds think alike! 

• Like 1

I have heard good reports on that one too. Just no experience with it

• Like 1

Kenzo is a good brand if you looking to get coating done around 1500 for the whole car rims and windows

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just to quickly gloss over (HA!) the 'whether or not to get paint protection' discussion. For me personally, it's a case of ensuring I don't accidentally stuff up the paint by adding any micro-swirling or similar. It also means I won't have the paint corrected after five or six years and having done it myself previously and unless you really love car detailing is a lot of hard work. I make no excuses to say that it isn't for everyone and everyone's circumstances are different but for the paint and wheels at $600 I think that's an acceptable price for hopefully a lot of years ahead. If it were to cost anymore than that I probably would be having second thoughts about it, don't get me wrong I love my new 220 but it isn't a Ferrari, McLaren or other exotic beast. TBH though if I had one of those kinds of cars I'd probably be getting the whole car in a clear bra.

Anyways off topic somewhat. @mmh I'm not saying one is better than the other, just what I'm hearing from detailers around me.

As to the OP asking about a protection package. I'd only be getting the paint and wheels done, defiantly get the wheels done (the amount of brake dust from RS cars is probably the worst part of detailing a car). I wouldn't bother getting the windows or interior done. A small bottle or RainX should easily last six months at around $20 and for the interior making sure you clean and condition the leather every 3-4 months and generally being tidy should require very little vacuuming over the car's life. I mean even if you go with something a little over-rated like AMMO products the interior regime kit should easily last 12-18 months.

Anyways, I hope that's helpful to someone :)