New Member Doing His Homework On R.s. Meganes!

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself briefly - I'm in the market to replace my 2 year old BRZ with something quicker and a little more practical, but without losing the excitement, amazing handling and steering feel that made me trade my MPS for it.

Amongst a couple of Jap imports, the R.S Megane RB8 is currently winning the battle - even the wife loves it - so I'll be spending a bit of time here researching and asking questions. Plenty of info and inspiration here, plus I spent a bit of time at Metro Nissan Service and got to see a bit of the Renault side as well.

Hopefully you'll see me in one soon!

Cheers,

Jon

Welcome to the forum 572.  Great choice in the 265, and you will not be disappointed in trying the RS.  Most likely you will get bitten by the RS bug, and thereafter wonder why you didn't get one sooner. (and probably buy a Clio as well, just because...)  :D

Good to see you are based in Brisbane.  We can use some more Brissy based forum members with Meg's to maybe join in on a drive day at some stage.  Hope to see you around sometime in your new Meg.  Lots of great info on the forum, and plenty of folks to help out if you have specific questions on the cars.

Are you looking at buying new or used?

I went the other way, from RS Megane to BRZ. :)  

The Megane won't disappoint you from a steering/handling perspective though, and the power difference is stellar (much closer to your MPS but with much better chassis). It's a bit more of a "grab it by the scruff of the neck" car than the "fingertips" BRZ, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Megane is a really complete package, awesome chassis, effective engine, seats 5, can carry a bike, pretty frugalif you want it to be etc etc.

As per RHB's comments, the Megane does it's best work when you really get stuck into it - the harder you drive it the better it gets. The chassis just keeps giving, and if you find yourself on a nice bumpy road you'll be amazed how much speed the FWD chassi can carry (much more effective than RWD under such circumstances).

Decent tenability if you are into that as well. High flow cat and remap will see you up around 290hp/400Nm, which is plenty quick enough.

Worth looking at Clio 3 as well... Closer in spirit to the BRZ, but more practical...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

Get an 8.08 - liquid yellow is nuts in sunlight!

It does look great in photos! I'd like to see the yellow in person, but it also means no Sat Nav vs the RB8.

Are you looking at buying new or used?

If I do get one, you'll definitely see me around! Looking used, but trying to keep to 2013/2014 models. 

I know you said you're looking at RB8's, but I have a low km 2012 RB7 that will be up on carsales shortly... PM me if you're interested, I live on the Gold Coast.

What's the difference between the RB7 and RB8? All the special editions drive me nuts haha. Could be interested so I will keep my eye out for the ad.

I went the other way, from RS Megane to BRZ. :)

The Megane won't disappoint you from a steering/handling perspective though, and the power difference is stellar (much closer to your MPS but with much better chassis). It's a bit more of a "grab it by the scruff of the neck" car than the "fingertips" BRZ, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I did notice your signature while I was lurking and was looking forward to your input RBH58. May I ask why you went RS Megane to BRZ?

My MPS was actually a Mazda6, so just about anything is a chassis improvement haha. It was tuned and the goal is definitely to find a car that has the torque shove of the MPS, the practicality of a Golf GTI and the handling of the BRZ - with a bit of personality thrown in (so no Golf R's!!).

The BRZ with sticky tyres, I feel, is very easy to drive quickly so I'm very very interested to drive an RS265 now!

Megane is a really complete package, awesome chassis, effective engine, seats 5, can carry a bike, pretty frugalif you want it to be etc etc.

As per RHB's comments, the Megane does it's best work when you really get stuck into it - the harder you drive it the better it gets. The chassis just keeps giving, and if you find yourself on a nice bumpy road you'll be amazed how much speed the FWD chassi can carry (much more effective than RWD under such circumstances).

Decent tenability if you are into that as well. High flow cat and remap will see you up around 290hp/400Nm, which is plenty quick enough.

Worth looking at Clio 3 as well... Closer in spirit to the BRZ, but more practical...

It surely ticks the boxes on paper Mike and from the the reviews I've watched and read their comments echo what you say about the amazing FWD chassis. Is there much torque steer at all? 

Would receive a few decent modifications that's for sure and nearly 300hp in a hatch sounds glorious haha. Are engine mount upgrades required to keep the increased power on the ground? I know the past GTI's and MPS I've owned all needed a stiffer rear engine mount to keep the extra 50hp planted.

Unfortunately the Clio does very little to excite me - I think without a turbocharged engine, it just feels like a BRZ hatch? I'm definitely after that torque shove again. Also no sat nav, xenons or proximity entry...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

It does look great in photos! I'd like to see the yellow in person, but it also means no Sat Nav vs the RB8.

If I do get one, you'll definitely see me around! Looking used, but trying to keep to 2013/2014 models. 

What's the difference between the RB7 and RB8? All the special editions drive me nuts haha. Could be interested so I will keep my eye out for the ad.

I did notice your signature while I was lurking and was looking forward to your input RBH58. May I ask why you went RS Megane to BRZ?

My MPS was actually a Mazda6, so just about anything is a chassis improvement haha. It was tuned and the goal is definitely to find a car that has the torque shove of the MPS, the practicality of a Golf GTI and the handling of the BRZ - with a bit of personality thrown in (so no Golf R's!!).

The BRZ with sticky tyres, I feel, is very easy to drive quickly so I'm very very interested to drive an RS265 now!

It surely ticks the boxes on paper Mike and from the the reviews I've watched and read their comments echo what you say about the amazing FWD chassis. Is there much torque steer at all? 

Would receive a few decent modifications that's for sure and nearly 300hp in a hatch sounds glorious haha. Are engine mount upgrades required to keep the increased power on the ground? I know the past GTI's and MPS I've owned all needed a stiffer rear engine mount to keep the extra 50hp planted.

You definitely need to drive one and I think you will be sold.  I vowed I would never have another fast FWD car again, but one drive and I was hooked.  The RS cars have a technology called perfohub which, together with the LSD, virtually eliminates torque steer.  When combined with the awesome Cup chassis setup, these cars will actually power oversteer but are immensely controllable approaching their limits (which are very high BTW).  They almost defy physics they are that good.  Even on a wet road, it is hard to tell they are front driven, they are so poised, balanced and bloody quick.  Drop into your first fast corner and explode past the apex out the other side lined up for the next (and the next) and you will see.  Truly magic!!  :hail:

Drive one and you will understand what I am saying.  

I went the other way, and bought the stripped out light weight version (so don't have any real need for more get up and go in mine), but a power increase in an RB8 or 7 would be somewhat similar I think.

The Red Bull variants are a special breed too, as they are limited editions and spectacular looking cars. Great colour schemes.  :drool:

Good luck with your decision.  :yes:

• Like 1

Change. :)  I wanted RWD again. 18 months on, I now want RWD with more power!  I'm seriously looking at a new MSport 2-Series now.

Yes, the BRZ is a lovely thing on a backroad (I have Conti 5s on mine for some grip) where you can keep it between 5000 & 7500, but in the cut and thrust of daily city driving (98% of my driving reality) the lack of mid-range punch becomes annoying. Lovely little car, but it should have been built with 2.5 litres (which Subaru wanted but were overruled by Toyota). The engine is the weakest part of the car.

BRZ%20Warburton1_zpsog0hu3oi.jpg

Edited by RBH58

Unfortunately the Clio does very little to excite me - I think without a turbocharged engine, it just feels like a BRZ hatch? I'm definitely after that torque shove again. Also no sat nav, xenons or proximity entry...

In standard trim torque steer basically does not exist, unless you are on a really poor road surface and nail in 1st/2nd. Once modified there is a bit of wander (never tugs) here and there, but only in a straight line. Once loaded up in a corner it all just works :)

Engine mounts are much beefier in the Meg 3 than the Meg 2, which used to destroy them in 20,000km... I never felt the need for uprated mounts in my modded 250, but I certainly did in the R26 (Meg 2). The only time it would have axel tramp issues was during a hard launch in the wet, other wise it dealt with the torque just fine. I did however replace all of my mounts with fresh OEM's at around 40,000km. In part because I felt they were getting a touch sloppy, and also as a precaution because a few cars had snapped the gearbox mount, so Renault changed the design on later cars. I wanted to have the updated mount design in my car just in case... In terms of uprated mounts, there is only one available as far as I'm aware, and that is for the lower torque link (I gather what you are referring to). IMO that is the only one worth changing anyhow, and if I was going to use the car a bit more often on track I may have gone that route eventually.

I've not driven a BRZ, but most back to back comparisons I've read rate the Clio as being more engaging than the BRZ/86. If yours has proper tyres on it they are probably lineball with each other for both pace and tactility though... Megane is for sure a step up in pace compared with either and does have plenty of creature comforts, which sounds like what you are after. Probably worth having a run in a Clio 3 if you get a chance though.

I second 152's comments about the oversteer ability of the Megane. It sounds stupid for a FWD to be able to power oversteer, but it certainly can. Two ways I've found it'll occur. The obvious one is to induce a touch of back off oversteer on entry, then get hard on the throttle just before the apex. If you get it right, the diff will hook up and tighten the line of the front end, subsequently increasing the oversteer effect. I've also had it happen through fast sweepers. If you get the front end hooked up and stay on the throttle the chassis eventually get to the point of slight oversteer (probably pretty close to the ideal 8 degree yaw angle by the feel of it).

A friend of mine with an E46 M3 was blown away by the chassis. Obviously the M3 was quicker in a straight line (and sounds brilliant), but through the faster corners the Megane is a league above, especially when it's bumpy. Where he'd be balancing oversteer/understeer with the bumps, the Megane is 100% planted and just goes. Same story when my brother had a Cayman S. Megane was comfortably quicker when it was fast/rough, but the Cayman would walk away through tight stuff with near perfect traction on exit and a pointer front end.

Now you just a Clio 1*2 to go with it :wink:

• Like 1

Drive one and you will understand what I am saying.  

The Red Bull variants are a special breed too, as they are limited editions and spectacular looking cars. Great colour schemes.  :drool:

Good luck with your decision.  :yes:

Thanks for your input :) It's funny, because I made the very same remarks after I sold my GTI - never FWD again!! I notice Hertz actually hires them as part of their Adrenaline range so we may take one away for a weekend soon.

And yes, I love the dark blue on the RB8  :drool:

Change. :)  I wanted RWD again. 18 months on, I now want RWD with more power!  I'm seriously looking at a new MSport 2-Series now.

Yes, the BRZ is a lovely thing on a backroad (I have Conti 5s on mine for some grip) where you can keep it between 5000 & 7500, but in the cut and thrust of daily city driving (98% of my driving reality) the lack of mid-range punch becomes annoying. Lovely little car, but it should have been built with 2.5 litres (which Subaru wanted but were overruled by Toyota). The engine is the weakest part of the car.

Could not agree with you more - 2% of the time it's absolutely amazing and the grin factor is huge; the other 98% is pure frustration, being out-accelerated by a diesel Discovery is rather embarrassing...

I too would love a RWD BMW, I've seriously considered a 2010-on 135i manual a number of times, but they are a bit out of the budget this time around. Those 228i's look like a fantastic option though  8)

Here's my BRZ;

1z50m5c.png

• Like 2

In standard trim torque steer basically does not exist, unless you are on a really poor road surface and nail in 1st/2nd. Once modified there is a bit of wander (never tugs) here and there, but only in a straight line. Once loaded up in a corner it all just works :)

Engine mounts are much beefier in the Meg 3 than the Meg 2, which used to destroy them in 20,000km... I never felt the need for uprated mounts in my modded 250, but I certainly did in the R26 (Meg 2). The only time it would have axel tramp issues was during a hard launch in the wet, other wise it dealt with the torque just fine. I did however replace all of my mounts with fresh OEM's at around 40,000km. In part because I felt they were getting a touch sloppy, and also as a precaution because a few cars had snapped the gearbox mount, so Renault changed the design on later cars. I wanted to have the updated mount design in my car just in case... In terms of uprated mounts, there is only one available as far as I'm aware, and that is for the lower torque link (I gather what you are referring to). IMO that is the only one worth changing anyhow, and if I was going to use the car a bit more often on track I may have gone that route eventually.

I've not driven a BRZ, but most back to back comparisons I've read rate the Clio as being more engaging than the BRZ/86. If yours has proper tyres on it they are probably lineball with each other for both pace and tactility though... Megane is for sure a step up in pace compared with either and does have plenty of creature comforts, which sounds like what you are after. Probably worth having a run in a Clio 3 if you get a chance though.

I second 152's comments about the oversteer ability of the Megane. It sounds stupid for a FWD to be able to power oversteer, but it certainly can. Two ways I've found it'll occur. The obvious one is to induce a touch of back off oversteer on entry, then get hard on the throttle just before the apex. If you get it right, the diff will hook up and tighten the line of the front end, subsequently increasing the oversteer effect. I've also had it happen through fast sweepers. If you get the front end hooked up and stay on the throttle the chassis eventually get to the point of slight oversteer (probably pretty close to the ideal 8 degree yaw angle by the feel of it).

A friend of mine with an E46 M3 was blown away by the chassis. Obviously the M3 was quicker in a straight line (and sounds brilliant), but through the faster corners the Megane is a league above, especially when it's bumpy. Where he'd be balancing oversteer/understeer with the bumps, the Megane is 100% planted and just goes. Same story when my brother had a Cayman S. Megane was comfortably quicker when it was fast/rough, but the Cayman would walk away through tight stuff with near perfect traction on exit and a pointer front end.

Now you just a Clio 1*2 to go with it :wink:

Thanks so much for your reply Mike! I actually don't mind a bit of torque steer, I think it adds to the character of the car, but great to know it's well controlled.

Yeah the lower torque link is what I'm referring too - sorry it's known by many different names! So the remainder of the mounts are upgraded for the Meg 3, all years? I'm looking at late models anyway due to my desire for a special edition, so I was presuming that would iron out any kinks too.

More engaging you say? Maybe it is worth a look, particularly once I've driven a Meg. It sounds like the RS250/265's have the chassis I'm after and after watching a few videos they have an interesting exhaust note! It's no 

You guys seem to be very knowledgeable so I'll ask one more question to you - build quality, what are they like?

I'm motivated enough I may just pop down to the local used yard which has a standard RS250 there and have a look today.

.. Here's my BRZ; ..

Meh.. those things in standard form don't even keep up with most of the Renault Scenics on this forum. :popcorn:

Could not agree with you more - 2% of the time it's absolutely amazing and the grin factor is huge; the other 98% is pure frustration, being out-accelerated by a diesel Discovery is rather embarrassing...

I too would love a RWD BMW, I've seriously considered a 2010-on 135i manual a number of times, but they are a bit out of the budget this time around. Those 228i's look like a fantastic option though  8)

228i MSport Manual is the very model I'm considering :)   Megane RS250 Power/Torque to weight and 90+% of the BRZ's handling/steering. I actually drove the M235i back to back with it and preferred the 228i!  

Meh.. those things in standard form don't even keep up with most of the Renault Scenics on this forum. :popcorn:

Probably true

Edited by RBH58
  • Like 1

This one might have more grin factor:

Untitled-1.jpg

You guys seem to be very knowledgeable so I'll ask one more question to you - build quality, what are they like?

This is an interesting question as I assume you are meaning the fit and finish etc.. as opposed to the mechanical reliability (which has been addressed above in the thread, and has lots of information on the forum).  

If you are meaning this element, my take on it (for what its counts) is that there is a difference between the RS cars and others that you may be considering.  For example, the overall interior finish is pretty good but not to the same refinement level and material quality of the VAG products in consideration.  This is an area that Renault has been criticized for to date, and appears to be something that is being addressed with the newer variants of both the Clio and, we expect, the Meg 4.

Things like the material quality of the plastics and the switch gear doesn't shout "Audi" in the Meg.  More of a whimper "I'm trying".  But then they go and fit the nicest seats this side of anywhere in the form of some of Recaro's finest in there to keep you planted while pulling awesome corner g's as you slip away from your mates in a corner if they are driving pretty much anything except another RS.  Interior foibles are forgiven!!  :nod:

The feel of the doors closing, for example, is rock solid (doors are carved from solid granite I believe), much akin to a Mercedes in the feel there.  The chassis is also rock solid, with a typical RS party trick being that if you jack up one wheel, the whole side of the car lifts off the ground.  Very stiff chassis on these... That they somehow make the car remain light weight overall despite this rigid chassis and deft handling means the rest of the car is finely crafted from unobtanium, to go with the granite doors.  :mrgreen:

Brakes are Brembos, which squeal like a b@stard, letting you know that you are not driving it hard enough, but they work as you imagine Brembos would, and look fantastic as well.  Big ticks there.  :headbang:

Panel fit overall is very good.  Again maybe not quite VAG in the panel lines, but they are all even, nothing seems to fall off (except the odd wheel centre cap I believe), so the things are bolted together very well.  When I bought mine, I was attracted to the 5 year warranty (even if I use it on the track), which tends to suggest Renault expect it to hold together very well, despite the fact that the cars are intended for spirited driving.

All the other bits such as electrics and the like are equivalent to anything else, with the days of Renault electrical horror stories a distant memory I believe.

There don't seem to be many annoying rattles that I can detect.  The large rear hatch tends to squeak a little for me when I first start driving, but settles after a few minutes to become silent thereafter.  I put this down to the fact that mine is not a daily driver, more of a garage queen in truth, :oops: so she tends to get washed after each drive before being tucked away ready for the next outing.  I suspect that provides some cleaning product residue on the rubber seals, creating the aforementioned squeak.  

Those who do their cars justice by using them more probably don't have this issue...

Hopefully I have answered the question you asked, and not wandered too far off topic, but that is my take on the question of build quality.

Oh, and did I mention the exhaust note...  Drive it, you'll understand.  Don't forget to push the sport mode button, and hang on!

Edited by No152
  • Like 2

Agree with all the above. I've had an RS265 Cup for over 2 years now and love it more each day. I like the fact that it is not 'overdone' with a fancy interior or 'bells and whistles'. The things it does have are all things that are useful on a daily basis, not things that 'seem like a good idea at the time' when purchasing. Being older, over the years I have realised that a lot of the stuff used to market products, cars included, is mostly rubbish and not used after 6 months of ownership. l would sooner that they spend the money on making it the great driver's car that  it is. If you are seriously interested in driving you will not be disappointed. I don't ever expect to be in the position to own a Porche, Ferrari, Lambo or whatever, but do know that my car will give me 98% of the motoring 'buzz' that I'm looking for. :nod:   All the best with your decision. 

• Like 2

^ No152 this is the best comment on a rs megane to date

Thanks cpw, that's my take on the Meg.  They are not perfect, but bloody hell they do a good impersonation of it...  :mrgreen:

The things it does have are all things that are useful on a daily basis, not things that 'seem like a good idea at the time' when purchasing. Being older, over the years I have realised that a lot of the stuff used to market products, cars included, is mostly rubbish and not used after 6 months of ownership. l would sooner that they spend the money on making it the great driver's car that  it is.

Plus 1 here.  I would rather have quality Recaros,  Brembo brakes and titanium exhaust, for example, than a car that can reverse park itself...  :yes:   Seriously, how many folks actually use that, as opposed to telling people that it can....?  

But I bet it's in the top three sales statements right after the zero to 100km/hr time...

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Clio does very little to excite me - I think without a turbocharged engine

...hard to please[emoji15], gee i would argue the clio IS probably more exciting (than a meg) cause it ISNT turbo....

U must b confusing excitement with speed[emoji3]

The 265/75 is a great car though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hopefully I have answered the question you asked, and not wandered too far off topic, but that is my take on the question of build quality.

Mate, you've answered the question and every other possible thought I had. Awesome post - thanks so much for all that info! Needless to say, the wife and I are headed to Renault tomorrow morning to window shop  :)

All the best with your decision. 

Thanks for your input. I agree, there are a lot of 'features' fitted to cars today that are pure marketing ploys and I'd much rather have the raw experience put a smile on my face than a car that parks itself.

Edited by 572

CPW, have you driven a Clio 3? After all you did say your R32 was boring as quoted by you below on another post you made....

"I have had a golf R that had 205kw are and 427MN and it was in no way as fun to drive as my rs265 with 190kw are and 420no 
I did like my golf R but it was just boring to drive but was super quick in a straight line and it was manual as well".

BTW, I've driven cars WAY faster than my Clio but there is a LOT more to a good drive than just 0-100 times as I'm sure you'd agree.

Golf R is not the same as R32? Have not driven either so have no comment either way. I have heard plenty of times that that VI and VII R's are no fun, perhaps the 15deg V is more interesting.

Anyway, I'm sure many here will have different opinions and that's all fine, we can just agree to disagree :D

For the record, I loved my Clio II and it was a hoot through the hills, but I'm having more fun in the 225 Cup as the power is much more useable on a daily basis. Each to his own!

R32 had a nice engine. The end. It's another "Haldexed" VAG product. All roadholding and one dimensional handling. How you can compare it as a driving experience to a Meg 3 or Clio 3 is completely beyond me. Sure, it's a nice car. But it's no Meg/Clio 3.

(Yes, I've driven all of them)

Edited by RBH58
  • Like 4

Dave200 I would disagree

I find a golf r32 more fun

Having driven both, i strongly disagree. Great engine and exhaust note (dad has a Passat V6 now, same engine) but thats where the fun/allure ends. The Clio runs rings around it for fun.

• Like 1

Dave200 I would disagree

I find a golf r32 more fun

LoLoLoLoLoL... Suffice to say eh no. Any Golf needs a bucket of money spent on it before it gets close to being fun like a Clio or Megane let alone having the dynamics. That said R32s are the best of all the modern VWs. Mk4 being better (through charisma/build and general awesomeness) than the Mk5. Though the Australian/US oem suspension is one of the worst ever fitted to a performance oriented vehicle.

That said I'd have another mk4 r32 in the garage if I had the space to put it next to the 200 plus the money to buy it plus another 30 odd grand to make it as good as it should be.

Cheers.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by Treza360

LoLoLoLoLoL... Suffice to say eh no. Any Golf needs a bucket of money spent on it before it gets close to being fun like a Clio or Megane let alone having the dynamics. That said R32s are the best of all the modern BEd. Mk4 being better than 5 although Australian/US oem suspension is one of the worst ever fitted to a performance oriented vehicle.

Cheers.

Well at least you owned one Treza!

Unlike me. I've not driven one so I'll shut up now  :news:  :lol:

Well at least you owned one Treza!

Unlike me. I've not driven one so I'll shut up now :news::lol:

And sunk 15k into it in mods too. Do still miss it. See my edit above.

Not saying the R32 or any of the VAG products are bad cars, but Haldex AWD is a real limiting factor with them from a handling perspective. And you can throw as much money as you like at them and you can't really overcome it.

Edited by RBH58

Upgraded controllers do make a difference with engage time and general aggressiveness but yes it's very much a flawed system. And the fact that these aren't stock means more money to spend too.

VW traction control etc is also very intrusive and annoying too.

Audi have been trying to pitch the TT-RS as a Cayman S rival for ages, and they can more than match it on acceleration, roadholding, build quality, equipment, but they'll never match it with handling and general feel. One is built on purpose built sports car platform, and the other was build on a family hatchbacks platform.

LoLoLoLoLoL... Suffice to say eh no. Any Golf needs a bucket of money spent on it before it gets close to being fun like a Clio or Megane let alone having the dynamics. That said R32s are the best of all the modern VWs. Mk4 being better (through charisma/build and general awesomeness) than the Mk5. Though the Australian/US oem suspension is one of the worst ever fitted to a performance oriented vehicle.

That said I'd have another mk4 r32 in the garage if I had the space to put it next to the 200 plus the money to buy it plus another 30 odd grand to make it as good as it should be.

Cheers.

Hi Trent! Remember me - Red Polo GTI, about 8 years ago :D

Didn't realise you still had the Clio!

Jon

Dude! Time to get your RenaultSport happening. Six years with the Clio this July. :)

Didn't you get a Golf GTI after the Polo? MPS and then BRZ? Interesting choices.

Cheers.

Edited by Treza360

• 2 weeks later...

I think cpw did spend a crap load on his VW! 

Back to the OP ... 

I strongly support your decision to shop for an RS megane - have fun, and buy one! 

I haven't noticed any rattles or anything apart from the folding front right wing mirror creaking when folding - might get the dealer to do something next service. Oh and the "rabbit ears" on the right rear window rubber seal ... a common problem usually fixed under warranty (again, next service). 

Some items to consider (most already mentioned, these are the important ones for me): 

Very unique - I like the fact that no one knows what it is 

Looks awesome 

Amazing to drive - fun written all over it 

Red seat belts (according to some this is very important)

Relatively cheap to buy and service 

Spacious interior 

Despite comments about the interior I find it very upmarket and good quality (compare it with your BRZ - the dash in that looks like it came out of the 90s; not bad, just very basic and analogue). I've come from a family who loves their benzes (yes, no brains all cash) so I love a good interior. 

Space saver spare wheel (The Clio IV has no spare) 

Mid 2014 onwards (facelifted versions) get 5yr warranty

I couldn't find any other car in that price range which was all of the above. 

Cons: 

Parts - you'll wait a while for these to come in if something needs to be fixed

Tyres - buy crap ones and the car will allegedly fall to pieces (I've never put rubbish ones on) so they'll always be reasonably expensive though you seem to always have a 3 for 4 deal going on at some point! 

2 doors aren't great if you have baby seats in the back, but I've found it fine unless it's pouring with rain 

It's so much fun to drive that you'll take ages to get anywhere because you'll drive the long way around 

Fuel consumption is therefore higher also! 

None of these cons were on my radar when I bought mine - they all disappeared into the "who gives a crap?" bin as soon as I drove one 

And as no152 has already mentioned, press the sports button when you're on a test drive! 

Well I've now driven an RS265 and I have to say I wasn't that impressed! I'm not going into much detail as I don't want to start a sh*t slinging festival aimed at me, but I will say that the grin factor just wasn't there for me, it might be for others, but not me. There was no urge to own one like there was after driving the BRZ or the 135i.

Thanks again to those to weighed in with comments, much appreciated, but as you said it was going to be the drive that gave me all the answers.

Mate, for a giggle I suggest you test drive a Trophy R if you can find one, just to round out your research.  There are big differences between it and the 265 IMO

Otherwise, good luck with your search.

Well I've now driven an RS265 and I have to say I wasn't that impressed! I'm not going into much detail as I don't want to start a sh*t slinging festival aimed at me, but I will say that the grin factor just wasn't there for me, it might be for others, but not me. There was no urge to own one like there was after driving the BRZ or the 135i.

Thanks again to those to weighed in with comments, much appreciated, but as you said it was going to be the drive that gave me all the answers.

I'm staggered. Did you actually take it somewhere like the Mt Nebo road? Because if you drive one on the right sort of road, then I have no idea how you wouldn't be impressed because the damn things get better the more you push...and it takes a little while to figure out where you can push too. Sure...if you just drove it around town. I'm stunned.

Different people have different preferences and opinions, I suppose. The other cars on the list are RWD, which might be a factor. My brother owned an RB8 and didn't like it either.

Also, I moved from Clio 2 to Megane 225, and I like the Megane better. Sure, the Clio was a lot more agile and fun to wring its neck in the right conditions... but the right conditions are about 1 percent of the time (if that's all you get to the hills - in my case, because car enthusiasm sits some way down the list after other interests). Whereas the Megane is useable in more scenarios for me, even if it's just a short little blat to hear the exhaust popping off some walls :D

Anyhow, my point is that enjoyment is ultimately in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by hamstrung

RBH58, no I didn't drive it up any mountain roads, as I can't ask someone to take their car for a couple hours while I go for a drive - I was limited to roundabouts and 80 zones.

That's it exactly hamstrung - each to their own and at the end of the day it's your car and you've got to love it :)

That's it exactly hamstrung - each to their own and at the end of the day it's your car and you've got to love it :)

This is very true!

If you wanted to come to the Coast, I'd let you drive my RS265 RB7 for a proper squirt. In fact, I won't let you come back until your face has lost all of its colour.

I'll never forget the look of the M3 owners face, 3 days into ownership, as he pulled up beside me after some spirited turns.

• Like 1

If you wanted to come to the Coast, I'd let you drive my RS265 RB7 for a proper squirt. In fact, I won't let you come back until your face has lost all of its colour.

I'll never forget the look of the M3 owners face, 3 days into ownership, as he pulled up beside me after some spirited turns.

I had a similar experience with a Porsche 928S driver through some twisty roads on the Gold Coast hinterland.  I pulled over for a photo break, and when he caught up, gave me a nod and thumbs up as he continued by.  Sweet...

I'm not certain how many BRZ drivers have had this experience, but I'll wager not too many....  :mrgreen: