Newbie Looking At Buying A 2009 R27

niterida

Just looking at an R27 for sale for $14k with just 75000kms on it from a dealer.

Salesman sid they traded it for $14k 8 months ago and have dropped the price from $19k. Just wondering what the current market thinks this should sell for and why it hasn't sold in 8 months. I would have thought they were sought after cars?

Cheers

Ken

Welcome mate!

I've personally noticed cars tend to go for a bit less over your way but $14k is a good price for an R27.

There was a 200 going for $15k recently so somewhere between $15k-$20k is where the average is.

It states it has a full service history but verify the belts have been done. At this age the battery should have been replace too. 

Turn up the stereo. The stock splits are garbage, if it distorts at a high volume (not uncomfortably loud) then splits may not have been replaced. The head unit could do with a fascia. 

You should check this out too - http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2010/OAG-AD-10466699/?Cr=0

The 20th's and the Angel & Demon are the pick of the Clio III range IMHO.

Why it hasn't sold in 8 months? Market I guess. There was a guy on here who had his grey A&D for sale for a similar period of time over your way.

What do I think it should sell for? Not sure, anywhere between $15k-$20k? 

They are the top spec 197 but the want for Clio III's just doesn't seem to be very high.

I think partly because WA is a smaller market so it's a bit harder to sell.

With that many klm I'd think 13 to 14 k is about right.

If I was you, I'd go for the 20th anniversary. Bargain hard to get it for 15K. Offer 15K, and walk if they say no. With a bit of luck they'll ring you back in a few days and ask if you are still interested.

It's a buyers market so use your advantage.

Go to French Tec Motorsport for a pre purchase inspection on whatever car you decide before settling.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

It has full service but timing belt hasn't been dobne. Salesman said I can have it for 13.5 to compensate.

I prefer the racier looking R27 to the white 200 cup but thanks for the link. But to be honest I would be happy with any car that has Brembos and Recaros :)

Cheers

The 200 was tweaked after the 197 and IMHO it's a better car for it.

Drive them both to see what you think. You might be surprised with how different they are (I was!)

Edited by apple3337

I haven't yet driven a 197 but Cloudy has spent a fair amount of seat time in 197's (not an R27 admittedly) and a bit of time in my 200, he says it's a fair bit better, certainly worth trying to have a drive of both to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the R27 is in top condition with little body damage and good seat condition, the price seems about right at $13.5k.

I got $11k trade for my 2010 RS200 Trophy in excellent condition and the syncromesh needed repair at trade with 80,000k.

If the R27 is in top condition with little body damage and good seat condition, the price seems about right at $13.5k.

I got $11k trade for my 2010 RS200 Trophy in excellent condition and the syncromesh needed repair at trade with 80,000k.

good seat condition

I neglected to mention this. It's a common wear point and they are in good nick in the pics.

Yeah I can't stand people who don't look after the bolsters - especially on such expensive seats.

Its not hard to get in the habit of sliding the seat back before you get out and then avoid dragging your bum over the bolster.

They look pretty good in the photos - pretty keen on it and probably going down to Perth (I live 450kms north) this week to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I had been speaking to the dealer over the last few weeks and they got me pre-approval on finance for this car and I finally managed to get down to Perth to look at it. On Tuesday I told them I was coming down Wednesday morning. I got there about 12:30 only to find they had sold it 10mins earlier!!!!!!!!!!

Its a fixed price - dealer wont negotiate :(

And the missus has just told me to get an auto!!!

Do you tell your missus (or does she listen to you?) about buying shoe's everybody knows she will never wear?

My excuse for needing an Auto was health related.

If she wants "an auto sportscar" tell her to give you extra money to buy a ferrari because the new ones are all auto.

But with such a tiny $15K, all that you get in a [good] sportscar is a manual.

It's manual, or she can walk - I say. :popcorn:

Life is too short to compromise on such important issues.

Yeah I wear the pants (ie: pay the bills) in my family so if I want a manual I will buy a manual.

But if it is manual then I HAVE to drive it to work and leavevher with the auto because she doesn't have a manual licence. Which means 15,000kms a year just to work and back - which may kill resale in a few years??

Its either this or a Polo GTI......

Yeah I wear the pants (ie: pay the bills) in my family so if I want a manual I will buy a manual.

But if it is manual then I HAVE to drive it to work and leavevher with the auto because she doesn't have a manual licence. Which means 15,000kms a year just to work and back - which may kill resale in a few years??

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/23238-wa-fs-2012-renaultsport-clio-200-angel-and-demon-hologramme-grey-438666/

This one is above the price range you're looking at but it's as good as they get.

If you're looking for decent resale the A&D will hold value better than the rest of the range.

Yeah I wear the pants (ie: pay the bills) in my fam ... . Which means 15,000kms a year just to work and back - which may kill resale in a few years??

Maybe consider getting a little Suzuki/Honda/Toyota/Renault for that.

Those RS-200's are special imo - on the verge of being a collectors car.

• Like 1

15k km a year isn't that much, depending how many years you plan to keep it.

R27 and 200 are very different. Overseas, 197 Cup and R27 are the same. 200 had many improvements over the 197 cup and non-cup.

I am tempted to get it but just can't decide between :

Polo GTI

Golf mk VI GTI

Audi A3 2.0 quattro

Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Or Clio 200

All the ones I am looking at are pretty much the same price, year, kms and colour and are all auto (except the Clio of course). But I am worried about the VW DSG box failing and costing more than the car!!!!

The Polo has had the clutch replaced under warranty so I am hoping that it will be ok but I am still wary.

My heart definitely says Clio but my head is going round in circles.......

Edited by niterida

I am tempted to get it but just can't decide between :

Polo GTI

Golf mk VI GTI

Audi A3 2.0 quattro

Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Or Clio 200

All the ones I am looking at are pretty much the same price, year, kms and colour and are all auto (except the Clio of course). But I am worried about the VW DSG box failing and costing more than the car!!!!

The Polo has had the clutch replaced under warranty so I am hoping that it will be ok but I am still wary.

My heart definitely says Clio but my head is going round in circles.......

The Clio 3 200 is the best drivers car in that group by a lonnnnng way.

Have a look at the videos on my website if you need convincing.

Any chance of teaching the missus to drive a manual?

Edited by apple3337

I'm older than you!

I'm teaching my 16 yo daughter to drive the Clio and she loves it!

The back seat is very usable even for adults.

Try selling it to the missus on practicality grounds. IE. Great car to learn in. Safe. Cheap to run being 4 cylinder. Practical. Good little load lugger with the seats folded down.

Ya gotta try harder!  :lol:

• Like 1

The missus doesn't get a say in it - it would just be nice of me if I got an auto.

Unfortunately all your arguments point to a Polo GTI - has everything you mentioned plus more practicality being a 5 door and its auto - although VW DSG worries me.

Also if I get an auto then I can also go and trade my Mondeo in on a BMW 135i

Edited by niterida

Sadly there is no doubt manuals are on the way out.

My daughter drove our auto Pajero for the first time today and hated it. Not because it 's a crap drive though.  Because there was not enough to do! Proud dad!  :D

• Like 2

My daughter drove our auto Pajero for the first time today and hated it. Not because it 's a crap drive though.  Because there was not enough to do! Proud dad!  :D

I remember the start of this journey!   :popcorn: Great update, and a very encouraging result - commended!!! Sorry about the OT comment.

Back on topic, FWIW I think the Mk VI GTI probably a better thing on all levels than the Polo GTI, if the choice comes down to a DSG vs DSG only debate... (Hopefully not)

If the future use of the vehicle is likely to be your son, does he have a preference of car out of the choices being considered?  That may be a factor as well, because if he likes it (whatever it is) then there is a better chance he will look after it than if he doesn't like it...  Less pain for everyone there

Decided DSG is off the menu - too many horror stories. I spoke to an oil company exec (friend of a friend) who said they no longer do dual clutch transmission oil because of the high failure rate and they don't want their oil being blamed for it in any way, or even associated with it!!!!

So back on topic - I had a 3rd look at the 20th anniversary and decided I couldn't live with the low rent interior and I don't really need such a hard core drivers car :(

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated :)

Edited by niterida

So back on topic - I had a 3rd look at the 20th anniversary and decided I couldn't live with the low rent interior and I don't really need such a hard core drivers car :(

Even with top of the line Porsches, you have to pay more to have weight items removed.

So if you were really in the "high-rent" category, you'd know that less weight costs more. That's how it is with every European car-maker.

For 2009, the Interior of that car was fair for the market price.

Decided DSG is off the menu - too many horror stories. I spoke to an oil company exec (friend of a friend) who said they no longer do dual clutch transmission oil because of the high failure rate and they don't want their oil being blamed for it in any way, or even associated with it!!!!

Sounds like you may be a fan of the VAG product interiors. Maybe manual version GTI would be the go... Interiors on the RS cars are an acquired taste which we here all love. Not everyone's preferred thing for sure.

Good luck with your search :)

I ended up buying a BMW120d !!!!

But there is method to my madness - it has been tuned to 150kw so it has excellent real world performance, its rwd so drives better than 99% of all the other cars (RS cars excluded of course), it was cheap ($11k) and it will still be a good car for my boy.

And lastly it means I can spend more money on a real car in a years time when my current lease is up :)

Edited by niterida

• 1 month later...

I'm back :)

Looks like I have just bought myself an RS after all - a 2008 Megane 225 Cup. I wasn't particularly looking but it came up in one of my searches and at the price I couldn't say no.

Great!

I look forward to your Members Ride thread when you get it.

Good on you, but what happened to the BMW?

The BMW is still here - its an awesome little car - not the fastest but it feels fast with the diesel torque, handles great with the rear wheel drive and M-Sport suspension and sips the fuel - over 900kms to a 53l tank !!

The 225 will replace my Mondeo wagon - much to the missus' disgust - although she will get the BM so I don't know why she is complaining. Well actually she complains about the stiff suspension but you get that...............

Great!

I look forward to your Members Ride thread when you get it.

Yeah will post details when I pick it up - which won't be for 2-3 weeks since the car is in Perth and I am in Geraldton (400kms north) and don't have any time off :(

I think I got a good buy : 

Black, black leather, 142,000kms - $8500 !!

Edited by niterida

The BMW is still here - its an awesome little car - not the fastest but it feels fast with the diesel torque, handles great with the rear wheel drive and M-Sport suspension and sips the fuel - over 900kms to a 53l tank !!

The 225 will replace my Mondeo wagon - much to the missus' disgust - although she will get the BM so I don't know why she is complaining. Well actually she complains about the stiff suspension but you get that...............

Yeah will post details when I pick it up - which won't be for 2-3 weeks since the car is in Perth and I am in Geraldton (400kms north) and don't have any time off :(

I think I got a good buy : 

Black, black leather, 142,000kms - $8500 !!

Score!

Maybe wifey likes the idea of a wagon for the internal space? Modern hatches are pretty big anyways. Seats down and load up all the things!