Hi - New 197 Owner

act180

Hi there, I've had a black 197 for nearly 2 months now. I bought it new as it had not yet been complied. So I get full warranty and all that jazz.

I really love this car, I fell in love with it as soon as I sat in it. As far as cars worth mentioning, I've had a 206 GTi180 and a Polo GTI. The 197 is a vastly better car!

Anyway, nice to be a part of the forum and hope to get involved on a drive day some time soon.

...Griffyn, I'm tipping from the ACT, but that's just a guess :wink:

Welcome to our lil community :D

Very glad for you that you were able to secure full warranty on it as that alone would be most reassuring.

Happy motoring! All the best, Dish.

and a Polo GTI. The 197 is a vastly better car.

Careful what you say here.... :D

There were a couple of 'heated conversations' about this here which you might find entertaining.

You beat me to it Tubbsy! :mrgreen:

Anyways, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Feel free to drop in some observations on your new ride.

Keeping her stock?

Cheers,

WOLF

Yes, I'm in the ACT. I plan to keep it stock performance wise. For pure aural pleasure I may consider a different muffler with 200 style chrome exhaust tips for looks. I am getting the stereo sorted too with a Kenwood HU, Polk splits, Kenwood 4 Ch amp (already got), and a 10" JL sub (already got) and the CANBUS adaptor. I'm curious about Megane 18" wheels as well but I like the stock 17s so I think it would be a waste of cash.

The Polo needed $$ spent to get it anywhere near the overall car the 197 is. I think stock there is no comparison when it comes to handling. The Polo is quick (the stats lie) but the way it takes corners is not pretty, grip was an issue. Grip is not an issue at all in the 197 and that's the part that makes me smile. It seems to defy physics!!

I think though if I had a budget of $30k and I was looking for a new hatchback, nothing comes close to the Polo for value. The Clio was a bit much at $40k which is what it was at the time I bought the Polo. The $10k difference could easily be spent on the Polo to make it a closer match but I find I'd rather spend my dollars on something else. I still really like the Polo (my GF has it now so still in the family) but for different reasons. It's a laugh to drive in a straight line and is a much easier car to drive in traffic. The Clio really makes me want to flog it everywhere I go, even if it's 100 metres between lights or around a roundabout, I can't help myself. :D

I should do a search on this Polo v Clio argument. I'm surprised it even was an argument.

Thanks for the welcomes, yes I was all over aussiefrogs when I had the GTi180 but it seems new Renaults are not talked about much there, this is why I came here. 8)

wow, did u just say u paid $40k for a 197. i hope it was the r27. many dealers r discounting the 197, its about $30k driveaway. in fact the 200 is about $40k isnt it?

im interested in the r27, but not at that price. its a nice car, but not worth $40k, not when near new 197s r selling in the $20's and even then they aint moving

You forgot to say "im my opinion" Wal.

Doesn't come across too friendly telling someone their car is not worth said amount.

Hope you don't mind me saying so...i'm sure it was a slip of the keys.

Cheers,

WOLF

My apologies, But I thought it was widely accepted that Renault priced the 197 way too high when it came out and then with the new 200 and the subsequent horrible resale numbers for the 197 people started to have a gripe. Well that's what I been reading

Anyway, if it was priced in the $30s new then it might be ok

^^^ if you read it again, he said:

The Clio was a bit much at $40k which is what it was at the time I bought the Polo.

Welcome act180! I hope you continue to enjoy the car for a long time to come 8)

^^^ if you read it again, he said:

The Clio was a bit much at $40k which is what it was at the time I bought the Polo.

Welcome act180! I hope you continue to enjoy the car for a long time to come 8)

Yes :wink: , when they were first out in Aus, they were $40k - too much. They are good buying now and I was lucky to find a quasi new one with full warranty.

Yes :wink: , when they were first out in Aus, they were $40k - too much. They are good buying now and I was lucky to find a quasi new one with full warranty.

Hi, I had a look at your car last week when it was parked near the National Archives Building. Then I saw a 20th Anniversary Clio 200 on the way home.

The 197 is a cracking car, even at $36K plus on roads when it was new. Problem was it was misunderstood by many. Still is. If you don't get it, then check out Motor Mags Handling Test - highest cornering g's of any car on the test, including Porsche and Lotus. Then check out our recent Nationals laptimes. The 197/200 are so much better than the 172 (which I lovingly own) it's not funny. Yeah, if you want straight line grunt then look elsewhere for your similar budget. If it's twisties that get's your juices flowing then the Clio RS 197/200 is it. Saying that, a 197 at $25K with 20K on the clock, there's a serious bargain to be had.

• 1 year later...