Food for Thought...

R26DAVE

I just posted in a topic called "Wanker Numberplates". I posted a sighting of plates that I thought were "Cool", not "Wanker", but I couldn't really find any other place to make the posting. I notice many of the other posts are not directed at "Wanker Plates".

Then I noticed (or thought about) a topic called "Sightings of vomit-inducing machines (all states)".

For someone who has posted a fair bit on this forum, I have rarely (if ever) posted in either of these threads. (And if I have, I have long forgotten about it, and probably would take the post back if I could.)

This got me thinking.

Often "we" as Renault owners like to think we are a "special" bunch, maybe even a little bit more refined than the average Joe. We love our cars.....we are passionate about them.

Are not other people the same, no matter what car they drive, or what the plates say ?

How would a new member to the forum Judge these threads.....is this the profile we wish to portray ?

So I ask you (the forum) are these threads doing us any justice ? Or are they little more than an exact mirror image of the "Car Hate" and "Car Discrimination" many of us complain about from time to time here on this very forum.

I own a Renault at the moment...but I'd just as soon have a SSV8 Ute. Personally, I notice this kind of "Car Discrimination" lurking below the soft underbelly of this forum often, and it bugs me.

I think we need to clean up our House, or get off our High Horse.

Comments.....

Dave.

But we're still allowed to hate Camrys though aren't we?

It's just common sense.

And those damned ugly Ssangyongs and.......................

For mine ANY car that works is a good car, I'd rather walk than get on a bus or a train.

nice link gryff !

no dave .. I HATE TOYOTAS > I HATE LEXUS > I HATE RICE KULTURE . :wanker:

we should have MORE discrimatory threads about these things here . its what bonds us and makes us and our cars better than anything or anyone else ! :nod:

gryff .. do i have disodence yet ??

:idea: nearly forgot , i'm not mad keen on the french either as they still havent said thanks .

finally dave , on a less lighthearted note than above , i agree maybe the thread on plates should be changed from wanker plates to something neutral to let us post good as well as bad .

but the other photo thread should stay as i always take photos of awful machines to post but never have worked out how to do it . yet . we could always have a drool inducing machines photo thread as a counter balance [ as long as theres no japanese cars on it !!!!!!!!!!!!! or korean . :nod:

and if anyone comes on here and reminds me that i had a car that had the numberplate '' VENOMM '' i will explode in rage . :bitch:

in fact , i would deny it but walkie posted a photo of it on the wanker numberplate thread so its impossible to escape the derision and shame ..

thoroughly deserved derision and shame i might add :oops::D

But in contrast - we don't have the rubbish sh*t-talk that goes on in alot of forums.

Look at cs.net or jdm forums and see the amount of foul posting there.

Our community is an innocent one if anything.

IMHO, really don't see anything wrong with a little innocent slander :P

Agree. All personalised plates are by definition at minimum attention-seeking, and at worst vain, so that thread title is well founded IMO. I've been congratulated and derided for my plates in equal measure, and even I'm fair game in that thread, as are many owners on this forum who haven't been singled out yet :mrgreen:

I'll have a think about putting a more "vanilla" thread title on it and the thread about cars that amaze us for all the wrong reasons.

Agree. All personalised plates are by definition at minimum attention-seeking, and at worst vain, so that thread title is well founded IMO. I've been congratulated and derided for my plates in equal measure, and even I'm fair game in that thread, as are many owners on this forum who haven't been singled out yet :mrgreen:

I'll have a think about putting a more "vanilla" thread title on it and the thread about cars that amaze us for all the wrong reasons.

But what about the annoyance of having a space for a European sized number plate and then you have to put a goofy looking standard number plate that doesn't fit properly or even worse is bright yellow in colour like NSW. Surely this is ok?

Meh like has been said the community spirit here and general good nature towards eachother is leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other threads.

Cheers,

Trent

Are not other people the same, no matter what car they drive, or what the plates say ?

How would a new member to the forum Judge these threads.....is this the profile we wish to portray ?

Dave.

I think it's entertaining to have some controversy.. for eg a new forum member reads something, they should feel welcome to disagree.. and so on.

And I think car culture is very prominent in Australia.. if I drove an SS ute I would expect to be perceived differently to driving a clio hatchback... I lived in Switzerland for a bit, they may just think 'oh, ute' and that's about it. I have a friend who drives a bright orange ute with black mags (umm, i think its a ford? dunno :oops: ) but in any case, it's orange and pretty much does doughies just parked there, and it does reflect who he is. (I think he's too old for donuts now.. but...)

PS you gotta love Ben Quilty

http://www.benquilty.com/XL/VonGerardXL.html

community spirit here and general good nature towards eachother threads.

lexus / toyota drivers don't qualify for community sprit or good nature . :mrgreen:

[ is that entertaining ? :D ]

disclaimer ; i have a japanese car .

i quite like it .

its not a toyota lexus , so is that ok ?

the number plate is neutral . i wanted ''EVO - 98 U '' but it was gone .

on second thoughts i have got disodence !!!!

I've been congratulated and derided for my plates in equal measure, and even I'm fair .

yes , i had a hippy in an old corolla [ i hate corollas ] with hippy gay whale stickers etc all over it yell at me in the traffic that my car with the ''venomm'' plates was a sh*t box . true , it was , but a nice , interesting and fairly kwik sh*tbox .. a dodgy viper .

i had a conv porka once and another hippy standing at the roadside toaking a joint said it was a piece of crap and i was a wanker . [ he got part right :wink: ] .

most others liked the viper and the plates and even the vee dub . they didnt drive corollas or toak .

Even my girlfriend, a two-time Renaultsport owner and a member of this forum for as long as I have been, thinks I'm a wanker for having CLI.0 as a numberplate. Go figure!

We need more threads like this.. I'll be driving a holden ute soon as a daily, I wonder what sort of plate I should get.. no fat chicks doesn't quite fit.

Can't believe you put that plate on the viper rob.

We need more threads like this.. I'll be driving a holden ute soon as a daily, I wonder what sort of plate I should get.. no fat chicks doesn't quite fit.

Plate was on it when bought - it was soon removed! :oops:

It's not only car owners who have this superiority complex with respect to names. I saw a similar forum topic on a boating web site some time ago. There is more material to work with on boats, as every name is customised. The name that appealed to me the most was a catamaran called "What a Pair".

i love this thread . :D

in self defence i didnt put that plate on and actually took it off . we took photos first .

aitch ... anyone remember that tojo never made it to darwin ? and ricers never made it to my garage [ except the evo but thats a good car ]

Well I think I probably get the most hate cause of my cars. I used to own a Holden SS Ute (back when I worked at a factory and getting a ute as a company car was dirt cheap) and I've got a Saab and Saabs seem to be hated by every car forum (maybe even Saab forums).

I'm thinking I am going to start issuing temp bans to people who dis Holden V8's and Saabs.

ricers never made it to my garage

rob, I think I need to steal my sister's toyota 'rolla and get brenda225 to steal his mum's echo and we can mount a rice attach on your garage!!!

Might need walkie's help, imagine the horror when you walk into your garage to see two rice mobiles :twisted::twisted::twisted:

rob, I think I need to steal my sister's toyota 'rolla and get brenda225 to steal his mum's echo and we can mount a rice attach on your garage!!!

Might need walkie's help, imagine the horror when you walk into your garage to see two rice mobiles :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Actually I think this might be too mean

i still love this thread

btw bremund , our old family biz in the land of the great unwashed was ...... wait for it ....

SELLING NEW AND USED SAABS . :nod::hyper::headbang:

my dad and big brother always drove saabs here in 70s / 80s .

saab onners have feelings too . and theyre not rice !

What's it with Corolla's anyways?

Saw a current model Corolla with 2 fart cannons on the back (didn't know they had twin exhausts, must be a slowtivo grey import...) kick into a higher gear (it was probably auto...) to tackle the hill above the 'Gong and it had "Lost my licence" etched into the dirty rear window.

Right. Not a good look or sound.

My personalised Euro sized plates arrived yesterday in preparation for my new ride. :wink:

Should be interesting on the feedback here but at the end of the day I can hack it. :P

Cheers,

Trent

My personalised Euro sized plates arrived yesterday in preparation for my new ride. :wink:

Should be interesting on the feedback here but at the end of the day I can hack it. :P

Cheers,

Trent

:wanker: ... obviously. :D

Shames me to say, but I don't mind the look of the latest model corolla slowtivo.

BAN . :D

whers moderator when you need to report ???

Well I showed the missus the plates tonight. Apparently I am not a wanker but another term describing sexual orientation used in a derogatory manner. :P

Cheers,

Trent

oh dear .

missues must be onside or boys don't get to spend money on their toys