VW Convert (Formerly Possible VW Convert)

Treza360

Hi All,

Just joined up. Name's Trent and I'm from Brissie.

I'm not new to the car and forum scene. My previous ride was an 2004 VW Golf R32 MkIV Edition 200. It was quite heavily modded and unfortunately it was written off back in March. Since then I've been struggling to find a replacement and slumming it in my old 1995 carbie Magna.

I found out a about the new Clio 200 Cup Trophees a month ago and have been checking out the local dealers in the last few weeks having a look and chat etc.

I'm liking the car very much but am wondering about the colours and also the availability of the Trophee spec cars? I'm not intending to buy anything until July/August.

Thanks for the info and help.

Cheers,

Trent

Welcome Trent, there is alot to like about a Clio, the new 200 must be the most fun car on the market at the moment.

Oh and R26 although second hand are a steal and provide an LSD driving experience.

If you still into the modding side, perhaps an R27 (selling at great prices) could be a good platform.

Obviously if your coin is good enough to go the 200 and mod, then hells bells.

Think you may like the ride whichever way you RENAULT go. Clio or Megane.

Oh, and a pending welcome to you - always glad to see another local signing up.

Cheers,

WOLF

ps: july august - is that RS250 timeframe guys?

Thanks for the welcome guys. In regards to the R26, I'm afraid the looks really don't do it for me there and if I was after that sort of car I'd be sticking to the VAG range of cars and get myself a MkV GTI or a new MkVI. The problem there as has already been alluded to is then it is too hard to avoid the mod thing with regards to making the car how it should have come from the factory. Plus every man and his dog and the neighbour's dog and the car that the dogs chase has a GTI! :lol:

I'm actually trying to avoid all this as I don't want to be sinking additional dollars into modifications again, so I'm looking for something that I can have fun in and be pretty much happy with stock from the factory that is also a little bit different.

Oh and I'm still not convinced by turbos either, having spent a couple of weeks in my Dad's GTI, even the minute amount of lag it has is annoying after the instant response of a NA and it also sorely misses the AWD of the .:R as well. I'm hoping the famed handling and chassis setup of the Renaults will keep me happy. :)

Lastly some photos of where I've come from (don't know what the deal is with the photo resizing on this site, so I've posted thumbnails).

Cheers,

Trent

RollingVWR32.jpg

th_P9270014.jpg

th_P9270018.jpg

th_P9270025.jpg

th_P5030005_01.jpg

1555573kp8.th.jpg

Welcome Trent!

Your R32 looks nice. Shame it went :(

You're lucky as the next shipment of 200s is supposedly coming in July/August with more of the colour range. If you're after something other then silver, black or red I'd be ordering soon to make sure it came on that boat!

Good luck with your decision 8)

Welcome Trent!

You're lucky as the next shipment of 200s is supposedly coming in July/August with more of the colour range. If you're after something other then silver, black or red I'd be ordering soon to make sure it came on that boat!

Thanks Walkie, I was absolutely gutted about the car. But I walked away unharmed and that's the main thing.

With regards to the 200s coming in, is that Trophees as well? I was talking to a dealer yesterday and they were saying that Renault only brought 30 Trophees in and that's all? I don't know if they were just trying to pressure sell or if what they're saying is legit?

It seems a bit funny if that's the case as the Recaros, keyless go and folding mirrors and exterior insert colours and wheels seems to be the only real differences. I actually like the standard Cup wheels and black inserts better than the Trophee grey inserts and multispoke alloys. Will see what happens anyway.

Cheers,

Trent

Cheers,

Trent

Welcome Trent!

Thanks Walkie, I was absolutely gutted about the car. But I walked away unharmed and that's the main thing.

With regards to the 200s coming in, is that Trophees as well? I was talking to a dealer yesterday and they were saying that Renault only brought 30 Trophees in and that's all? I don't know if they were just trying to pressure sell or if what they're saying is legit?

It seems a bit funny if that's the case as the Recaros, keyless go and folding mirrors and exterior insert colours and wheels seems to be the only real differences. I actually like the standard Cup wheels and black inserts better than the Trophee grey inserts and multispoke alloys. Will see what happens anyway.

Cheers,

Trent

Haha I think they're having you on :wink: I prefer the black of the Cup too (and it would match the black Speedlines better too :wink: ) but the Recaros are real nice 8)

Haha I think they're having you on :wink: I prefer the black of the Cup too (and it would match the black Speedlines better too :wink: ) but the Recaros are real nice 8)

Yeah I thought as much. Nice to have someone thinking the same too. Now can work the sale in my own time when I'm ready. :)

Yeah the Recaros are a must. Don't know if you saw my pics above but after the Konigs in the .:R going to anything else will be difficult. It's a shame heated leather isn't an option. :(

I've seen some comments about worn bolsters etc, you've just got to know how to get in and out of them without rubbing.

Cheers,

Trent

Heh trust me I'm aware of pretty much every R32 out there for sale and a fair chunck of the owners too. I'm actually a mod over on the VWWatercooled site and we've got nearly a quarter of all the MkIV R32 owners in Australia over there. :)

I'd love another one but the dollars, time and effort is pretty full on plus as I said I'm trying to avoid the modifying thing again.

Cheers,

Trent

I have always wanted a MkIV R32. They are such a cool car and the noise... I drove one a year ago and it sounded almost as good as my GTA :P

I would consider the R26 but you will miss the non-turbo torque of the VR6 N/A engine.

If i drive my wifes RSM most days and moving back to the GTA is such a different experience.

Good luck!

Id say take a few for a drive - I would take the 182 Cup, R26, R27 and the Trophee. You may be more than happy with the 182??

Renaultsports feel like a world away from the VAG lot. If you read the Car mag article about the Renaulsport factory, youll see why.

welcome Treza360,

here's a member here with a 182 folowing a VW R32 on the track

hope to see you in a RS of some description...

Sweet as video. I've had a chat to the owner of that R a few times, he's since retired the car to be purely for day use as he's got something dedicated for the track that's a bit more competitive (he might have even sold it). As fantastic a car as the .:R is it takes a lot to get it to something close to being a track weapon, as you can see by how easily the 182 keeps up.

Trust me, I trust you.

LoL I probably came across as a bit of dick there didn't I. :P

Id say take a few for a drive - I would take the 182 Cup, R26, R27 and the Trophee. You may be more than happy with the 182??

Renaultsports feel like a world away from the VAG lot. If you read the Car mag article about the Renaulsport factory, youll see why.

Looking for something new and/or newish. I saw a 172 at a dealer recently and the interior was looking a little sad. I remember when they first brought those to the country, looking at them at the motor show and not believing what you got for your ~35k.

I'd completely forgot about the Sport as a replacement car for the R until a few weeks ago!

I have always wanted a MkIV R32. They are such a cool car and the noise... I drove one a year ago and it sounded almost as good as my GTA :P

I would consider the R26 but you will miss the non-turbo torque of the VR6 N/A engine.

If i drive my wifes RSM most days and moving back to the GTA is such a different experience.

Good luck!

Thanks mate. The noise of the .:R is 90% about what that car is about. I had the APR/Billy Boat cat back exhaust as well which removes the resonator and crimped pipes and exhaust flap as well as bing significantly later and having 4" tips and being full stainless. To say it sounded glorious is an understatement. You need to get into 911 and Ferrari territory to get something that sounds as gorgeous.

Once again thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I actually rang Renault Customer Service today, there's currently only one Trophee in the country not spoken for according to them. Next batch being made is July for a September delivery. Also confirmed that the Trophee is a regular in the lineup. Given there's currently at least a 6 month wait for nearly all VWs if you don't want floor stock I have no issue with waiting.

Cheers,

Trent

To say it sounded glorious is an understatement. You need to get into 911 and Ferrari territory to get something that sounds as gorgeous.

I don't know about that :D

eg A:

eg B:

eg C:

eg D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3bk42Gjbxc

Sorry none of them come close. They do sound good though. :D

Cheers,

Trent

Agreed that the R32 Mk4 is by far the best sounding six under $150,000. It may not be silky smooth or the best at both lower torque and upper power, but it definitely amazing in the sound department.

In fact, I know of a Black Mk4 with exhaust and I looked out for a Ferrari only to see a VW fly by!

Welcome to the fold though; Hope you get a 200 Trophee to entertain you :)

Agreed that the R32 Mk4 is by far the best sounding six under $150,000. It may not be silky smooth or the best at both lower torque and upper power, but it definitely amazing in the sound department.

In fact, I know of a Black Mk4 with exhaust and I looked out for a Ferrari only to see a VW fly by!

Welcome to the fold though; Hope you get a 200 Trophee to entertain you :)

Thanks for the welcome. The R you refer to wouldn't have the plates "Sexy R" would it (or something like that)? If so that one has had some serious work done to it including exhaust, cats, cams, porting and polishing. By far and away one of the best in the country. When you go SC or Turbo on those things they do fly however some of the magic noise is lost. NA tuning is the best way to go for them in my opinion. :D

Cheers,

Trent

Thanks for the welcome. The R you refer to wouldn't have the plates "Sexy R" would it (or something like that)? If so that one has had some serious work done to it including exhaust, cats, cams, porting and polishing. By far and away one of the best in the country. When you go SC or Turbo on those things they do fly however some of the magic noise is lost. NA tuning is the best way to go for them in my opinion. :D

Cheers,

Trent

Hey Trent,

Nope not the plates; this is a NSW car too

My mate recently sold a Silver R32 Mk4... plates were N RR 32R

Yep, guy that owns a Brazilian Restaurant in Woolloomooloo owns the immaculate White R32 with black BBS rims and a beautiful supercharger. Wow does it move!

Cheers,

Trent

Hey Trent,

My mate recently sold a Silver R32 Mk4... plates were N RR 32R

Yep, guy that owns a Brazilian Restaurant in Woolloomooloo owns the immaculate White R32 with black BBS rims and a beautiful supercharger. Wow does it move!

Thay guy also owns a S1 Elise with a full carbon Exige S1 body and blown Audi S3 donk.

Yeah Sexy R is a Sydney car, but oh well. They all sound and look sweet as far as I'm concerned. :D

Cheers,

Trent

• 4 weeks later...

Well not sure where else to put it for the moment. But I'll be a definite VW convert in the future. I've placed an order, put down a deposit and got dealer confirmation over the last few days. Will leave the details until later. :wink:

Cheers,

Trent

Heheh...i understand.

Even when you buy a VW or 2, you just can't pull yourself from the OZRS forum, yeah.

Bodes well for how great this forum is.

Cheers,

WOLF

• 3 weeks later...

So time to let the cat out of the bag as I can't contain it anymore.

Taken from this thread; Limited edition 200 Trophee coming to Oz

I must admit, while I love the Recaro's in the Trophee, I am not a fan of the anthracite bumper and wheels. Hence the 20th Anniversary was the perfect choice for me.

Same here. Plus I love the little lip spoiler as opposed to the cup wing. I also prefer the Cup wheels as opposed to the BeBops. Also the perfect choice for me. Plus as I said in another thread somewhere the perfect look for me is white car with black rims, black inserts (as opposed to anthracie) and a black wing/spoiler. Almost perfect timing on Renault's behalf with this model. Not sure what number mine is going to be though. Last I heard it was on a boat which was coming into Sydney and I should have the car before the end of the month.

Thought I may as well let the cat out of the bag well and truly (I figure most have probably guessed anyway). :wink::P

Cheers,

Trent

The anticipation is killing me. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Trent