Need advice - R26 or 182 Cup??

Jeffie

Hi Im Jeff and in need of some advice :)

Im trying to decide between the Megane R26 and the 182 Cup, and whether its worth the extra $$ for the R26. I checked out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11322

and I think I might be more confused...

I feel like i SHOULD go for the R26 because its newer, bigger and less boy racer (i feel its more 'age appropriate' for a 28yo!), and if me and the missus do decide to have kids in the next couple of years we could fit a baby seat in the back - because if i did get the R26, the better build quality (and collectibility) would mean I would keep it for a long time. But it is a lot of money...

But from all accounts the 182 Cup is the better pure drive and I could enjoy its performance more of the time. If I wrung out an R26 like i was driving a cup i drove (short shifting at 5k) I would probably have lost my license! Its also cheaper all around and would not have to worry about it as much as I would the R26. But it is older and out of warranty... And if we were to have kids it would either have to be sold or never used with the family... but either would definitely not be the prime baby mover.

One thing I am worried about is the prices of the R26s... They have dropped 10k odd on carsales in the last 6 months, and they are still much higher than red book. Is this simply based on supply and demand, and if so wouldnt red book take this into account? Does anyone know if the actual sale prices are much lower, and if the ones on carsales have been sitting there for a while? Which would be easier to sell of the 2?

In terms of cost, a mid to high-teens 182 or a low-thirties R26 have already done the bulk of their depreciation. They'll keep dropping, but not at the same rate they have so far (if that were the case they'd be free in a couple more years!) This is probably the perfect time to buy, when you can still find low-k cars with warranty.

There's quite a few good ones on sale on this forum at the moment. Emu's R26 looks like a good buy, as does Phase3's Clio.

If you love hairpins, Clio's your car. Fast sweepers, go the R26. Can't go wrong with either, though.

In your situation I'd pick the R26, having owned a Clio 182 Cup. The Clio was great, but I did want more straight-line shove after a while (though the Clio's hardly slow) and I think the Megane looks fantastic.

G'day Jeff,

I am Sam & 27yr old. Just bought a 182 cup about 3 months ago. All i can say is that if its never going to be a prime baby mover...go the clio. You will save about $10k - $15k over a R26, and still get 90% of the driving experience. The interior quality on the clio is not as good as the r26, its smaller, but man is it fun to drive. Just imagine what you can do to the car with that extra money... :drool:

I was in the same situation as you and was considering either a r26 or 182 cup. I just couldnt justify paying the extra, plus more for overall maintenance. Oh and the insurance costs...! Having said that, the R26 is an absolute brilliant car. If you can justify the cost...do it!

Just go and test drive both. That will solve your problem.

You'll find a substantial number of 172/ 182 owners are a lot older than 28yo! The guy who bought mine new was a lot older than me and bought it complete with Gordini stripes etc. I'm a lot older than 28, so is Mase... I can also think of at least five other Adelaide owners/ former owners who also easily beat that age.

Have a read through some of Emu's posts, he's owned a 172, 182 Cup and the R26. I think the R26 is more refined and perhaps doesn't give the "raw thrills" that a 182 Cup would? If you've a lead foot you'll also need to be careful! There are a few other people who have also owned both on here.

A baby in a 182 is a pain, but it sounds like you'll have more than one vehicle? Once you're past the rearward facing capsule stage things get a lot easier. I've got a 20mth old and she's rarely in the RSC, but now she can sit upright it's not such a hassle. Just shop around for a compact pram- unless you want your boot full!

Mate, go to a few drive days and ride shotgun in both. As for "Age appropriate" I'm 37 with 3 kids and wife has a new Tarago & I bought mine 4 weeks ago and haven't stopped smiling. I have mate in Southafrica who has the 182cup, after a few years upgraded to the R26 and wants to go back and cries everytime one goes past the other way. He said R26 is much faster & more comfortable but doesn't make his smile every day like the Cup182 did.

If you don't need the extra size, the 182CUP is more fun at half the price, decision made.

P.S. My wife still thinks it's a sensible ecomomical car and most cops don't even goive you a second look, perfect Q Car.

+2

over 30 with a boy, have a Safe n Sound-Maxi Rider seat for him, fits perfectly fine. I put him in the middle so he has a good view of the drive.

That's if you need to put a seat in it, otherwise, nothing but raw fun.

Oh yes, forgot, i'd go for the 182 cup.

But as they said above, you can't go wrong - just more right for you.

Get something brilliant or something fantastic.

Cheers and good luck.

WOLF

ps: from what i see daily, Clios are cheaper to maintain. Obviously.

I'm almost 30 and have a 182 Cup.

I find the suspension in the 182 Cup a bit more compliant over bumps than it is in an R26. But yes, the R26 has quite a bit more room in the back, I fit just fine and I'm 184 cm tall.

I'd say go for the R26.

Obviously, I own one, so I am batting for Team R26.

Its a really Awsome Car.....

And at the value you are getting right now on the Second Hand car Market, how can you go wrong. :?:

I think a stack of people purchased the R26 riding the wave of hype generated about the Vehicle and its release on the net, and since the GFC hit, many of these folks have had to sell them. The prices have dropped a mile. This is where the Second Hand Buyer comes in. You would be getting really good value for the money at the moment. In fact, some folks seem willing to Bend Over Backwards for a sale.

I know a Clio would be a lot of fun....while I haven't owned one, I have owned a similar Car, but if you are ready to Grow Up a Tad.......( :P )......I think the Meggy will suit your needs.

And lets face it.....you can't get a Clio (In Aus) in Liquid Yellow...... :mrgreen:

Cheers - Dave. (On Behalf of the LY Meggy Brigade) :wink:

In the end I think we all arguing over blonde supermodel or brunnete supermodel here, in reality there is no bad choice, just what floats your boat.

I'm 180cm & 105kg rugby forward and at x-mass I comfortable drove my 182CUP 2000km in a day and a half back from Melbourne comfortably down rough country highways so don't think the 182CUP isn't a comfortable or cramped option. Whatever you choose you'll have a great time.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the 182 Cup might be edging ahead. I still need to drive an R26 and maybe another Cup or 2 to see what I prefer. Ive always wanted a 5 star Evo car and the 182 Cup is probably the cheapest way in :) But the R26 is definitely good buying at the moment, and the quality is a step up as well...

The missus is in a Getz, so she would most likely have to update her car between now and anything happening anyway!

Which is harder to sell? I mean if I did buy a Cup and wanted to move on to an R26 later, would I be waiting a while?

I apologise if I offend anyone with the age appropriate comment!

Hmmm... interesting. In case i'm hearing you right, looks like you would like to experience the drive ans ownership of both (obviously). So consider this:

- 182 cup now, then (if you're done with it) upgrade (hopefully) to a Megane RS250.

The 182 should hold some of its value (depending on kms and how you treat it) and by then you may be ready to jump to the new Megane. If not, go with your above plan.

Win win win!

Food for thought.

Cheers,

WOLF

ps: migh be obvious, but thought i'd nutshell what your replies seem to be saying.

Might wanna get the opinions of Deb and Jeffster as they have owned both - anyone else I've missed?

we have an R26 and 182 and a 172 in the garage . they are all really good . the advice above is all good . as to age , driving any of them makes you feel 18 :D

for family use / touring / wives / trips go R26 .

for hooning by yourself , winding roads , chucking it about , but not expressways , go the 182 .

the R26 are good value at present . both rate at the top as drivers cars . the R26 is something you could keep a long time and put it away forever , when you need a 4 door for kids

you cant miss with an RS .

What are you transitioning from?

I havent needed a car for 5 years, but the last time I had one was an S15 200SX

or you could just get both...one for the missus...one for yourself :lol:

I would love to! I think if she was to get a car it would be the type R! Im sure after she drives whichever I buy she will want one!

What are you transitioning from?

I havent needed a car for 5 years, but the last time I had one was an S15 200SX

or you could just get both...one for the missus...one for yourself :lol:

I would love to! I think if she was to get a car it would be the type R! Im sure after she drives whichever I buy she will want one!

I'd say even more reason for the Clio. Dropped a few S15 on take off and up windy roads.

Plus is the mrs like the type R... then how could she not relate and love the Clio.

That's why mine loves our little beast too... small but with grunt.

There are plenty here who will make a recommendation without having experienced both. The only advice that is worth it for you in this thread is from people like rob240 who actually have spent serious time driving both.

As a really happy R26 owner I can tell you how great it is to own, but frankly I have spent not enough time driving Clios to compare them for you (and there are forum members here who should be a little more informed before they use their "magazine" appraisals to give advice). The overall speed, grip, balance and outright pleasure that the Megane provides is awesome, having owned many cars similar to Clios I can say that the R26 is the best thing I've owned....and we haven't even mentioned what happens when you RSTuner the bugger!

Given that MOTOR Magazine has just named the R26 as one of the "cars of the decade" (ironically the only front driver on the list) it's a fair bet that the yellow beast is a good choice. Not to say that a 182 wouldn't satisfy.

You're more likely to keep the R26 as your everyday & weekend car for longer. Whereas you could keep the 182 as your weekend car (as it's cheaper) and get something more practical for the family if the need arises later on.

Type R ? If you're talking the Civic, you need to drive the R26 & the 182 vs. the Civic and then I'm sure you'll see merit in getting the 2 Renaultsports :wink:

Whichever you choose, they are both great cars & I'm sure you'll be happy with either. The R26 is more comfortable, modern & quicker, whereas the 182 offers more steering feedback, agility and sleeper / surprise factor.

Good luck with your choice! 8)

Whichever you choose, they are both great cars & I'm sure you'll be happy with either. The R26 is more comfortable, modern & quicker, whereas the 182 offers more steering feedback, agility and sleeper / surprise factor.

Just took an R26 for a drive on the weekend and that pretty much sums it up for me. The R26 just screams for attention wherever it goes, even around Sydneys eastern suburbs!

The difference between the 2 is like 2 fighters in different weight classes. the lighter one can beat you with his finesse, tight control and great movement... The heavier one can deliver some haymakers and go the distance without breaking a sweat. while not technically the best, as an overall package its the champ!

I think the R26 is the one for me, just need to see if the finances line up. As much fun as the 182 cup was, the R26 was much easier to drive, much more comfortable and driving it reminded me how much I missed boost :)

Well put and well done. For this stage at least. Good luck, and hope it works ou for you.

Nothing worse than discovering what you want then have placed out of your reach.

"I was ready to get that Ferrari, just couldn't get the extra $350,000 finance". :mrgreen:

Cheers,

WOLF

Just took an R26 for a drive on the weekend and that pretty much sums it up for me. The R26 just screams for attention wherever it goes, even around Sydneys eastern suburbs!

The difference between the 2 is like 2 fighters in different weight classes. the lighter one can beat you with his finesse, tight control and great movement... The heavier one can deliver some haymakers and go the distance without breaking a sweat. while not technically the best, as an overall package its the champ!

I think the R26 is the one for me, just need to see if the finances line up. As much fun as the 182 cup was, the R26 was much easier to drive, much more comfortable and driving it reminded me how much I missed boost :)

Sounds like a fairly good summation actually.

Hmmm, all that needs to be said has been I think.

I had Oscar in the 182 for a couple of years no dramas, took him through the nasho as camerman first time I meet rob240.

The 182 is far more chuckable than the R26 and there is NO OTHER CAR that tears up the nasho as well - HOWEVER - last time we went through there the RS tuned Felix was just to quick for Wade to keep up with the in gear acceleration of the car is awesome - so where was I - well hell it's a hard thing to desicribe some of the best nights of my life were spent in the nasho scaring the pants out of JDM fools and mod crazy golf owners. The R26 has phenomenal pace and heaps of grip the issue is that it's too competent and you get more thrill out of the 182 skipping hard under brakes and lift off oversteer and brown undies moments that really aren't as bad as they seem. In the R26 you are carrying that much more pace that you really need a race track, as any one mistake 5 star NCAP or not is going to see you well and truely messed up.

Hmm, by the length of this post it seems I haven't been posting enough :P

I like the bling factor of a LY R26 Felix was running 4 seconds quicker than chiped GTI's at the nationals and I am not the fastest driver on the forum, top third maybe so take what you want from the times but I but it will be interesting to see what Joey pulls off in a chipped GTI at wakey.

Ok I am almost rambling now time to sign off - I am pretty sure I have added nothing of use to this thread but if you need more info PM me :)