Gday

SamR

Hi everybody,

Some of you may already know me from Aussiefrogs, or you may have seen/met me at the RCCNSW motorkhana training day in February.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of replacing my 205 GTi with a RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup and figured this'd be the place to come for info. :)

Cheers,

Sam

Welcome! Good choice on the 182 8)

Good luck in your search!

Hey Sam, welcome across mate! Surely not giving up on the 205? What's AW going to do for income???? We're a pretty friendly bunch here, so feel free to ask away :)

Sam's not a bad snapper, by the way guys. Good to have another photographer in the Syndey clan!

Welcome aboard Sam! Good luck in your search - there are a few good 'uns that come up from time to time.

Sheesh, what is it with these cars attracting photographers?!?! :D

Cheers for the welcome guys :D

Hey Sam, welcome across mate! Surely not giving up on the 205? What's AW going to do for income???? We're a pretty friendly bunch here, so feel free to ask away :)

Sam's not a bad snapper, by the way guys. Good to have another photographer in the Syndey clan!

Haha, he gets plenty of work from other people. :wink: I still love 205s but feel the time has come for something newer. Who knows, I might get another 205 in the near future. They seem to be quite addictive...

I should point out I'm not a photographer as such, but do enjoy taking photos, mostly of cars. 8)

I think I met you a while back on a driveday! Good choice on the 182 Cup :)

Quite probably, I joined you guys for a driveday back in December 2005 (has it really been that long? :shock: ) down south through Kangaroo Valley, up Mt Keira etc.

Welcome SamR.

Great choice of machinery, and she looks amazing too! Still got the 205 GTI at the moment? Be sure to take pictures of both together. Both will go down in history as one of the best (or, have already gone down in history as the best...)

Thanks guys, I'm happy with my purchase :D:hyper:

Welcome SamR.

Great choice of machinery, and she looks amazing too! Still got the 205 GTI at the moment? Be sure to take pictures of both together. Both will go down in history as one of the best (or, have already gone down in history as the best...)

Yeah, I've still got the 205. Will take some pics of both together, but will have to try and find the 205's "good" side...

Still driving the 205 as the Clio needs the timing belt replaced as it's a little over 4 years old. It's booked in to get it done on Tuesday. It's a good thing I'm patient, I really want to drive it!

Edit: And I'm getting the gearbox oil replaced while it's there. How much g/box oil does the Clio take? The reason I ask is because I've got a 1 litre bottle of Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 Full Synthetic gearbox oil that I'm not going to need for the 205. Would this oil be suitable? Or just let the dealer sort it out?

gearbox takes 3.3L for memory.

Thanks, I guess 1L won't quite do then...

Not taking it to Paul V?

Ahh, he's on the other side of Sydney, not sure that I'd want to drive it that far...

Hey congrats Sam. Fast worker to find a good 'un that quick!

Yeah, I've been looking on and off at cars for a little while now and figured it was time to make a decision. :D

Well, here's a pic of my car at my place with the 205 parked behind it.

Not that great a photo, but as I'm not driving the car until I've had the timing belt replaced, it'll have to do for now.

The car is in need of some detailing as well...

And I prefer action photography to static pics.

My car is having the timing belt and accessory belt replaced and the gearbox oil changed today.

Can't wait till the arvo when I go and pick it up! 8)

All done and it's back in my hands now. :hyper:

Went and bought some fuel and took it for a little drive down a nice twisty and narrow bit of road near my place. :D

Definitely fun, but still have to get used to it and learn what it's telling me its limits are.

You wouldn't think of a Clio as a wide car, but it's definitely wider than my 205...

Are you a get up early for a drive type of person?

feel like a early morning old pac run? meet at thornleigh maccas (I only have to get up 10mins before meet time)?

I don't mind getting up early for a drive and avoiding all the traffic. The old pac has 40km/h sections at the moment due to falling rocks, so may not be the best road for a drive...

When were you thinking? I think I'm going to spend most of this weekend behind the wheel of my car :D

Are you on Eurocca? I think I may have met you on one of their drives, as well as at Thornleigh station.

I don't mind getting up early for a drive and avoiding all the traffic. The old pac has 40km/h sections at the moment due to falling rocks, so may not be the best road for a drive...

When were you thinking? I think I'm going to spend most of this weekend behind the wheel of my car :D

Wow, haven't been up there in ages, how things change! Actually haven't really been on a good drive since the OzRS Nationals.

Was actually thinking this Saturday. Riz is in Pennant Hills and may tag along as well.

Are you on Eurocca? I think I may have met you on one of their drives, as well as at Thornleigh station.

Yeah on Eurocca, was thinking I knew you (can't be too many pug guys in westleigh). Turns out I have met you.

Well, I ended up driving it about 500 km this weekend.

I've come to the conclusion that this thing is completely bananas! I'm referring of course to what it's capable of doing. :shock: So much grip and a lot more stable under brakes than the 205, but I figured it would be, being a much newer car. :headbang:

The only negatives are the seats don't hold me quite as well as the 205s, and the steering wheel could really use some reach adjustment.

I think I've made the right choice. :D:nod:

Oh, and one other thing: I'm a bit p'd off as some C#*K has touched and moved my driver's side mirror while I was at work today. I can't see any scratches or other damage, but am annoyed as I've been parking my 205 in the same street for ages and never had a problem, and now some fool who doesn't know how wide their car is manages to touch mine! :evil:

Hi SamR,

Glad you're enjoying the little beast... 500 km!!! :hail: I hope you gave it a bit of stick around the corners, thats where the car really shines...

I think you've made the right choice, its probably the closest modern day equivalent to the 205Gti, i.e. you can still have fun at legal street speeds...

The Hills area starting to get a gang now, when I had some more time on the weekends lets go for a good old morning cruise, follow with with cuppa and brekky...

Well I did about 150km with Sam on the weekend, but had to jet off to go help out at a Formula Ford team.

Any photos from the drive?

Was good to get an idea of what the car can do. Cheers for the drive. 8)

Yeah, I'll try and sort through my photos soon and post some up.

• 1 year later...

It was 2 years ago today that I picked up my 182 Cup. We've covered about 23,800 km in that time, and I can honestly say it's been fun! :D:hyper:

Still amazed at what this little car is capable of! :hail: