Hello fellow Renault peeps

jbgti

Hi All I have had a FRB 182 cup for around 16 months now. I been checkin out the forum from time to time, thought it was time to intro myself.

The little beastie is a cracking car. Does take I while get used to having to man handle it to get the best out of it though. Car has run like a dream since I got it. Does run better after a long hwy run. Car is completely stock apart from the kick ass stereo I installed.

Was driving through richmond yesterday and popped in the check out the 197, couldn't test drive it had to get to the hair dressers. Went back today and took a toro red for a spin around the yarra. Dispite all the footy traffic did get to give it a bit. Much better driving position, steering wheel size, no torque steer, better throttle response, feels more planted and felt heaps easier to drive fast ( at least for me, not being the best driver in the world). I had a smile on my face the whole time I was driving it. Not sure why all this fuss has been made of it having no torque or being slower than previous models. To me it felt quicker that my cup. Maybe Renault have fiddled with the ecu to cure the torque issues?

Anyways after my test drive the dealer showed me a white R27.

Its hot. The recaros are the shizzle. No demo's though. Its the last one they have. So having gone in to just try out the newbie, I walked out having put a deposit on one white R27!

Anyone here got one? If so any owner reviews before I sign?

Cheers

JB

Interesting to hear of your driving experience with the 197. I took my 182 in for a service recently and had a look at an R27 they had, in white also.

Personally I think the new car definitely looks more modern and appealling, including the interior, but upon collecting my car the mechanic chatted to me about the R27, saying that mine is quicker or "nimbler" than that, especially lower down in the rev range. He said the new car had better brakes but probably didn't perform better, especially in the handling department. I also heard the mechanics complaining that the Recaro's are a bit small and tight for us Aussies, French people generally being a bit leaner and smaller :) (I agree having visited Paris last year on a holiday with the family - we definitely have a weight problem here in comparison).

All this made me feel good about the 182, but if I had a few spare quid I'd be tempted to buy the new one, or at least wait a couple of years for a good (and much cheaper) used one...

hi jbgti,

first of all, welcome to the forum.. and congrats on getting a R27, I saw one in real flesh on the most recent OZRS drive day, awesome car, definitely more modern than the 182Cups. It is a worthwhile model upgrade. The person who brought it had only done 1,200 Km but his comment was that he had to learn how to drive again, it has definitely a much different characteristic but from the permanent smile on his face it definitely was worth the move from a 172 to a R27.

In terms of pure performance, most guys I've talked to agree that the R27 is much more stable in corners than our 172/182s and once on the boil. The downside is that the unit is more planted hence the chuckable fun starts at a higher, ( maybe more illegal) limits.

You can't go wrong with an R27, its gonna become a enthusiasts hot hatch collectable much like the Williams, 172/182s and better still, its a limited edition.

And yeah, white is the hottest color out of the R27s!

Welcome JB.

Hope you're happy with whatever choice you make. The 182 Cup is a cracking car, and the R27 looks to fill the shoes well.

Sounds a bit like the Mexicans (Melbournians) need to get organising a drive day soon for all the new members!

Welcome JB!

Damnit, that was exactly what I wanted to do; upgrade from the 182 Cup into the R27! DO IT!

I think you won't regret the choice. If you can afford to keep both...

Hi all

Thanks for the welcomes.

Yeah pretty crazy a trip to the hairdressers ended up in possible new car.

Xeno yeah the 182 is a great car I have had a ball in it. However the way the new car delivered its power vs the old car are a bit different it is heaps smoother. Not sure which is faster prob about the same at the end of the day. Oh I fitted in the recaros fine.

What really sold me is the driving position (I still loath the 182's set up every time I drive it), the lack of torque steer which just made it easier to drive and the throttle response was always instant where as my car sometimes responds and some times not. Then there is the way it looks white, anthrite wheels and red calipers, hot! To put icing on the cake I had a smile on my face the whole time I was driving it even more than when I tested my cup. I suppose I am growing older and really liked the more refined car. I use it to drive to work everyday so the still renault sportiness and nicer package does it for me even if you can have fun easier in the 182.

Has anyone used rstuner on their 197's? If so good results?

Also tested a 135i. Looks cool, very very fast, nice interior and is a beemer. Can have 2 R27's for the price, its not twice the car. More like a luxury car that is also very fast. Did leave me feeling nothing other than nice fast car that has a ride that never settles. Might still try a mini before I sign off. Pretty sure will be the R27 though.

Drive day would be cool. Where do you guys normally go?

1 I been checkin out the forum from time to time, thought it was time to intro myself.

2 couldn't test drive it had to get to the hair dressers. issues?

3 white R27.

4 Anyone here got one? If so any owner reviews before I sign?

1 BIG WELCOME .

2 thought you were going to say you were testing an MX 5 with that intro .

3 gods own hot hatch . 8)

4 JUST DO IT . dont listen to this bunch of raving lunatics . 6 replies = 17 different opinions . :roll: . you know you want it . you know you need it . and someone else fr9om here will grab it if you dont . :)

JUST GO AND SIGN . you lucky bugger !! :D

BUY IT! White R27 is *OMG* hot!

Alhtough, I am surprised you think the throttle respone on the R27 is better than your 182 Cup. From what I understand from reading lots of reviews, it was that the 197 LACKED the low-down pull of the 182 but screamed up high. You need to keep it on the boil to get the most out of it, hence why it got such a good lap time around Wakefield when Motor tested it.

But that's your opinion & what you feel, so run with it!

Cheers,

Alex

Hi all

I am growing older and really liked the more refined car. I use it to drive to work everyday so the still renault sportiness and nicer package does it for me even if you can have fun easier in the 182.

True, I'm in the same boat and it's really the only criticism of the 182. Sometimes you wish it were a smoother drive. If the 197 is all that you say, then it's a no-brainer. It's a bit pricey, and the depreciation I'm sure will be horrendous (like most cars these days I suppose), but if you can afford it and want a new car it's a good choice.

PS. Don't know about all those Renault stickers on the door though (2006 F1 champions, etc), maybe ok for the younger fellas... :)

Welcome at last JB :D

I tried to convince my other half to trade in both our FRB 182 Cup LE and 225 F1 for a Liquid Yellow R27, but she wasn't convinced! This was most likely cos we test drove a 197 shortly after they landed and we were both a little underwhelmed by the less noticeable torque curve. Handling and overall quality are certainly up there though - and I'm sure the R27's Cup suspension would be a damn sight better again, not to mention those wicked Recaros... but alas, we're sticking with the 2 cars.

Good luck with your decision!

Yep, we really must have a proper get together for all the new Melbourne members - can we show up the New South Welshmen's effort from last weekend?

Cheers, Dish.

Welcome at last JB :D

I tried to convince my other half to trade in both our FRB 182 Cup LE and 225 F1 for a Liquid Yellow R27, but she wasn't convinced!

I think you definitely made the right decision..

Don't know about all those Renault stickers on the door though (2006 F1 champions, etc), maybe ok for the younger fellas... :)

i like my stickers . :D

jbgti , i was right .14 posts ..... 21 opinions , so far

use the force ... get the white R27 .

^^ Go Naked......be free like mother nature intended... :D

SWMBO says to ''keep it clothed'' . dont you have that problem too ?

• 2 weeks later...

Alas there will be no white R27 for me.

The dealer will only give me a rubbish trade for the 182 and won't drop the price at all on the R27. They really don't inspire you to buy a new renault with under market trade ins on the same brand!!!!

So will be sticking with "Le Smurf" for a little longer. Might try to sell privately next time I see something I like.

Alas there will be no white R27 for me.

The dealer will only give me a rubbish trade for the 182 and won't drop the price at all on the R27. They really don't inspire you to buy a new renault with under market trade ins on the same brand!!!!

So will be sticking with "Le Smurf" for a little longer. Might try to sell privately next time I see something I like.

Out of curiousity can you Pm me the details of what they offered?