greetings

fasterthanjesus

hi

im currently living in lancaster, lancs, england. but will be arriving in oz early 2009. i have had all the medicals, police checks etc and am waiting for my visa (should be early dec).

once i get that then its time to drop the house price until somebody bites. then im bringing the wife, son and car over to adelaide. (import permit just waiting on visa).

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8291050

:D

Welcome !

A Clio Williams ? thats rare. I don't know of any in OZ. They look bloody awsome. Would love to see it in the flesh.

So you are coming to Adelaide going by the last 2 posts ? Dovla how did you work out his coming to Adelaide ? I did'nt see any suggestion he was lol.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome mate... i'm a european in australia myself (adelaide), i think you'll find this continent your liking!

And the clio williams will possibly be the first one in australia? I used to live in the UK a while back and i got a ride in one as a teenager. Fantastic car, hope to see it.

Regards

Matteo

Welcome!! Shame you're not bringing the lil Williams to Sydney but it'll be good to have one in Aus at least!

Good luck with all the stuff you need to do to get out here 8)

Enjoy the forum!

Alex

golly. i didnt expect so much interest.

i plan to get to the melboune gp at some point, unless they decide to bring it back to adelaide!

sydney is also on my plans, but the problem is that if i break down, spares are a slight problem!

im doing all i can to get her back to tip top condition. but at the moment im still in the process of getting my rear end repaired as somebody forgot to brake behind me.

previous owner also put a ghastly dimma cap on (which is being removed soon) ive had it 3 years now and ive spent a small fortune on replacing worn parts. clutch, gearbox, alternator, rusted doors, new inner arch liners, tailgate, pas pump, engine mounts, front bumper, bonnet respray, rusted n/s arch (twice), i could go on... (it its 13 years old). ive also had some fun under the hood. ive had the head professionally ported, pulleys and cams. not had it re-mapped yet (theres only so much i can hide from the wife). previous owner has had it lowered, im planning on putting 172 cup springs in (they seem to be the weapon of choice back home) aside from that im keeping the rest of the suspension standard (after all its what made the car what it is). ive also had some wilwood 4 pots put on the front as i felt the original brakes were a bit of a let down. (most owners seem to think this is the weak point). aside from that ive got a mongoose exhaust on the back which is far better than the original exhaust (as the rust we have over here seems to target them). i have a plan to bring a standard exhaust with me (if funds allow).

my only current problem is trying to sell my house!

Had a 205 GTi when I lived in the UK from 96 to 99. Really wanted to own a Williams one day. A 172 Phase 1 isn't a bad option. Only 85 of them sold here, so pretty rare!

Re: Spares - you can always pilfer parts from Biologist's Spyder in Perth :wink: . Another ex-UK car.

Welcome to sunny'ol Adelaide..one day. Maybe if you are lucky, you will lob in on a 40+ day :wink:

Will be great to have another rare beasty here in Adelaide. Hope the heat doesn't freak it out too much!

Cheers

thanks for all the greeting!

ive already fitted a low temp fan sensor and a low temp thermostat. im planning on wrapping my exhaust manifold.

im told that all i need to do is flush my coolant system and it should be fine.

the only thing i will miss about the uk is the cold air in the mornings. some days its just an absolute dream. people at work think i get up early to

start work early. nah. on a crisp cold morning once warmed up the old girl just wants to pull and pull. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...

this makes no sense! due to the database migration, my account got zapped.

so all my posts have gone!

news update is, i will be in oz before 20 september 2009, as thats when my visa expires!

i got my visa today!

i should be in adelaide feb/march. not sure when the car will be though.

:hyper:8):hyper:

• 1 month later...

Without sounding negative..they are usually in equivalent UK terms..in Spain :wink: Last few have been about 1500 kms from Adelaide however that hasn't stopped people coming from Perth (about 5000 k's) to attend.

Looking frwds to meeting you. Do you have a job lined up in Adelaide?

Hey Mase, if you guys want to organise 09, no problems. Ever since the calendar "where is the support from SA???", you guys have been way too quiet around here for my liking. NSW again is fine by me as its home state, but I wouldn't say no to a bit of adventure travel. He! He! Besides, I drove my UK 205 to Spain and back no problems. Not that far :)

bearing in mind the lack of available parts for a mk1 clio, never mind a mk1 clio williams, i will need most events to be fairly local. especially if you factor in the mtbf of the williams, and the 138,000 miles that have been clocked up. (ive done 50,000 of those as a daily driver).

either that or i follow somebody with a tow bar !

i am hopefully getting a transfer with work (it). ive been testing/supporting for 20 years, so i should be fairly employable. ive budgeted for a couple of months without employment, so im not panicing about anything yet.

looking forward to seeing you all (over a couple of jars).

dave

Hey Mase, if you guys want to organise 09, no problems. Ever since the calendar "where is the support from SA???", you guys have been way too quiet around here for my liking. NSW again is fine by me as its home state, but I wouldn't say no to a bit of adventure travel. He! He! Besides, I drove my UK 205 to Spain and back no problems. Not that far :)

I'ld say the best person to speak to there would be emu as racing is a main stay in his life. I am a llower end enthusiast gear for the occasional weekend drive :)

I'ld say the best person to speak to there would be emu as racing is a main stay in his life. I am a llower end enthusiast gear for the occasional weekend drive :)

It'll take more than one person to organise a Nats. Needs a few PM's and a collective "We're up for it" IMO :)

bearing in mind the lack of available parts for a mk1 clio, never mind a mk1 clio williams, i will need most events to be fairly local. especially if you factor in the mtbf of the williams, and the 138,000 miles that have been clocked up. (ive done 50,000 of those as a daily driver).

either that or i follow somebody with a tow bar !

i am hopefully getting a transfer with work (it). ive been testing/supporting for 20 years, so i should be fairly employable. ive budgeted for a couple of months without employment, so im not panicing about anything yet.

looking forward to seeing you all (over a couple of jars).

dave

We might have to all tip in a fiver and arrange for it to be trucked to wherever if it come down to it. He! He!

• 4 months later...

shes here, and been from regency to unley and to stirling. now waiting for a slot to get the roof repaired after the nasty people broke her during the journey from enfield uk to port adelaide.

had her serviced at regency park from the nice men at the raa, they cleaned the core plugs and removed all the degreaser gunk that the aqis left behind. got me a pass that day to get her serviced at unley (charles st autos is a great garage), then got me another pass to get home to shed.

the trip from unley up the freeway hill was awesome. unfortunately my limited pass only got me to shed. got some funny looks at the traffic lights, especially with english plates still on. if i wasnt restricted with the pass, i would still be in the hills now.... and not writing this.

anyway, the nice people at regency still have to give her roadworthiness certificate, shes passed tier 2 inspection. there were 5 people all poking her that day. she wont currently pass the 100mm clearance test, although somebody today told me it was higher. standard springs are on their way (thanks to simon) and the underside will be tidyed up to give regency nothing to harp on about. im expecting a large roar to be heard around the hills from july onwards.

current estimate is about 3k for the roof repair + the $550 i already paid for the broken windscreen. nothing is ever easy with this car. but shes a renault and a frog, and i still love her! but saying that, they never had the mk1 clio in oz, and i was amazed to get a new windscreen in oz!

got quoted $400 for a brand new renault exhaust delivered, to give the regency peeps nothing to complain about, as the mongoose exhaust that is currently fitted isnt really what regency want to hear.

one day soon, she will be around and about. at least shes not getting damp with all this wet i brought over with me.

kind regards and hope to see you soon.

dave(o)

I admire your enthusiasm and persistence Dave. Im sure the day will come when you will have all this behind you, the privelage of owning a unique car in OZ and the pleasure of driving it will eclipse all the headaches you are having now.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now :wink:

Steve

Great work Dave. As Puncher said your enthusiasm & persistence is amazing!

Best of luck with it and when you get a chance, post some piccies!

FTJ, I think puncher summed up my thoughts exactly. What an epic drama to get it here - but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

100 marks for persistence.

And yeah, freaky that you were able to source a new windscreen for it locally!

And yeah, freaky that you were able to source a new windscreen for it locally!

Don't forget it's Adelaide! Renault capital of Aust..what with the V6, all types of RSC's inc now a Williams and a very wide range of collectable models per head of capita..we have it in the bag! 8) (we prob have the oldest fleet of cars on the rd in Aust per head of capita to..shhh :roll: )

Prob pure a*** though re the windscreen :lol:

• 2 months later...

Ey mate, saw your car today in Nairne - she's a beauty!

Stopped to say hello but no one there.

I'm just down the road

anyways look forward to meeting you/her one day

cheers.