New Renault Owner

WozFast

Hi there,

I'm new to the Renault brand having purchased a late 2021 (Aug) Megane RS300 Trophy over the weekend (yet to be collected).

I'm looking forward to engaging in the form and adding value where I can.

Perhaps I'm a little nieve and foolish, because I haven't done a lot o research on the brand or model, I simply fell in love with the looks, driving performance and dynamics of the car on test drive.

I love an engaging driving experience and therefore wanted and purchased a manual with less than 10,000kms.

Can anyone share with me some insights into the vehicle, the good, bad points or experiences?  I'm based in Melbourne (East) and would welcome any recommendations on the best service centre for my new vehicle.

I'm also interested in any thoughts on the likely impact of the used car value looking forward, based on the ICE Megane being discontinued and if the value is likely to be better for the manual?

• Like 2

Welcome. What colour did you get? 

Future value should be good for the manual especially as they tend to be the safer and more enjoyable buy in a second hand older car market, as we know, its the second hand market demanding manuals! 

Enjoy. 

• Like 2

Welcome.

Not much goes wrong with the manuals. 

Fuel pump issues with earlier models, I believe pre 2021.

Some cars had boot lid misaligned so rubbed against the body when shut. Quick check will confirm this and dealers can re align

Some cars have oil leaking from the dampers a quick visual inspection can confirm this, will be covered under warranty if this is the case.

Battery is very small and does not like it if only driven short distances.

- must do - turn off the keyless entry/ proximity sensor from the settings. Will save the car battery somewhat.

- if possible keep the car on a good battery tender like optimate 3 amp model when parked over night.

- I personally would do not adhere to 10k km service schedule which is a marketing ploy imo . An oil/oil filter change every 5-6k km if possible specially if you are intending to keep it for a while.

• Thanks 2

Hello RallySportNZ, apple3337, slick & Bikecrazy,

Thank you for your responses, advice and opinions, it's great to be part of the community.

The colour is Flame Red, I love the orange and yellow, however this specimen is simply immaculate and perhaps the Flame Red won't attract too much unwanted attention 😉

I'll check out the suggested service centres, I'll need to organise a roadworthy my self, which is more of an administrative task given the age and kms, so I may get intimate with one if they do RWCs.

I appreciate the heads up on those potential issues and will likely take you advice on service intervals.  The battery was replaced just before I collected it and it's had 3 services in its 9800km existence which aligns with your advice.

I'm hopeful that the future value is high with it being a manual performance vehicle and no longer being manufactured, but I guess we're really expecting the subculture to remain strong 🤞

PXL_20240428_065614543.jpg

• Like 5

On 01/05/2024 at 7:27 AM, apple3337 said:

For servicing try Alpine Affaire or Auto Paris. Both in Melbourne's east. Stay away from the dealers.

There seems to be a theme of people who carry more respect for non genuine dealer servicing.  What do the suggested alternatives offer that is better?

I think just about everyone on here has had a bad dealer experience in their lives (including me). With a private mechanic, you are dealing with the person who will be working on the car. At a dealer, who knows who you'll get.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WozFast said:

There seems to be a theme of people who carry more respect for non genuine dealer servicing.  What do the suggested alternatives offer that is better?

More knowledge from experience, get to have the same guy work on your car all the time, no short-cuts (oil grade at stealers for instance), your choice of oil, filters etc if you want, more care and cheaper for what you get in my experience ...

• Like 2

On 04/05/2024 at 10:39 AM, slick said:

More knowledge from experience, get to have the same guy work on your car all the time, no short-cuts (oil grade at stealers for instance), your choice of oil, filters etc if you want, more care and cheaper for what you get in my experience ...

Thank you 🙏

On 03/05/2024 at 7:17 PM, apple3337 said:

I think just about everyone on here has had a bad dealer experience in their lives (including me). With a private mechanic, you are dealing with the person who will be working on the car. At a dealer, who knows who you'll get.

Thank you🙏

I live roughly half way between Alpine Affaire or Auto Paris, is there one you'd prioritise over the other for an RS300?

On 05/05/2024 at 1:15 PM, Bikecrazy said:

Dealer overfilled the engine oil by almost 600ml, this inspite of me telling them to take care before hand. Now I have to tell them before every service to not overfill. 

That's a significant overfill event and not good at all for the engine.  What symptoms made you realise it was overfilled?

I have a Clio3. When I first got it I was having trouble pairing my phone with the headunit. I popped into my local Renault dealer for some advice and to my shock the service guy said he had never seen a Clio3! I know they weren't a big seller but really......

It didn't inspire me with any confidence to take my car there for servicing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WozFast said:

That's a significant overfill event and not good at all for the engine.  What symptoms made you realise it was overfilled?

No symptoms, I had a feeling they would do this inspite of telling them beforehand. So I drove home slowly and checked the oil after letting it stand for roughly 30 mins.

I did try checking at the service  center before I left but it was a bit hard to tell as the oil was new.

I pumped out the excess and wrote an email to the dealer with ren cust care copied in.

Hello 👋 to @WozFast and everyone in this forum.

After months, and months of research, and looking around, I've finally taken receipt of my 2021 RS 300 Trophy! I've owned a plethora of cars over the last 20 years, but have never felt emotionally invested in the vehicle, till now. I can't yet put my finger on it, but from the moment I started my research I feel like I've been drawn into heritage of the brand, and so I feel like I am part of something bigger. I am not just a car owner now, but a very very small part of its history. I know I have a lot more to learn about my car, and the Renault community, but I wanted to start with a simple hello first. This is first forum of any kind that I have joined, so I am still learning the ropes.

Regards